Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on January 28, 2004
San Diego's own P.O.D. has made a triumphant return with their semi-self-titled titled album "Payable On Death". The album marks some significant changes for the band. Original guitarist Marcos Curiel has been replaced by Jason Truby, former guitarist for the pioneering speed metal band Living Sacrifice. Truby brings a more refined and technical approach to the band which is more polished than Marcos' raw and edgy guitar work. Throughout the album, Truby's playing shines with brilliance.
The other change comes with singer Sonny Sandoval's vocal approach. On this album, Sonny actually sings on most of the tracks as opposed to screaming, rapping or talking. He also provides a definite reggae influence with his faux-Jamaican accent on several tracks.
The band as a whole has definitely tightened up its musical arrangements and provides some solid, hard-hitting and downright impossible-to-dislike tracks including the lead single "Will You" as well as "Change The World", "Execute The Sounds", "Freedom Fighters", "Revolution" and the closing instrumental "Eternal" - the latter two tracks feature a special guest appearance from guitar legend Phil Keaggy whose performance is effortless especially on "Eternal".
"Payable On Death" is P.O.D.'s most polished and mature effort yet. The band has definitely shown considerable growth musically and lyrically and has taken a big step forward.
Although none of the tracks on this album mention God or Jesus Christ by name (an element which has garnered some harsh criticism from some people), it isn't difficult to hear where the band is coming from with their music. The band's hearts are definitely still in the right place and this album continues to show that while P.O.D. is a band that is surely in this world, they are not of it.
on November 4, 2003
Wow, I don't think I can find the words to describe how truly beautiful this album is....what an incredible piece of work from top to bottom.
If you've heard P.O.D.'s previous stuff and didn't really care for it, give this album a chance because this certainly isn't the same group! In addition to a new guitarist Jason Truby, each member has matured greatly in their style, leaps and bounds ahead of "Satellite". The music is so raw, the vocals so filled with passion. It may shock some of their fans at first, but it's obviously a huge step in the right direction for this band.
One of the biggest highlights has to be the instrumental piece that closes out the album called "Eternal". Featuring one of the greatest guitarist to ever pluck a string, the legendary Phil Keaggy. Phil is one of Jason Truby's biggest musical influences and the two blend perfectly together on this 7-minute track.
"Payable on Death" is worth every penny, pick it up yourself and see what the Revoluuuuuution is all about!
on December 22, 2003
P.O.D. came together for one reason and one reason only. To make good hard rock music.They were never made to be artsy or experimental. They don't take huge risks in their sound, but they do show progression in their style and can crank out the hits better than most bands today. There previous effort, Satellite, went several times platinum for a reason. They can write good songs.
There latest self titled record does take a few risks but still has that great POD sound fans love. This has been said about other rap rock acts such as Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, and Saliva but for POD it actually rings true for EVERY track, The rap verses are gone. Sonny sings out on every track which is surprisingly refreshing when you hear it. There awesome track, Sleeping Awake, which was on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack was an advanced look at what their new record would sound like. They still maintain a sonic intensity but now it's much more refined.
They even do a cool twist on their reggae style songs making the riffs much more edgier than previous stuff they've written such as the song, Execute the sounds, which is just waiting to hit so it can rule the air waves. Guitarist Truby brings nothing new to the band despite his background in classical jazz guitar. Unfortunately he's doing what he was hired to do, and nothing special really comes out of it.
This is a record I have yet to get tired of. I can play it through with only one or two tracks that are maybe too cheesy for their own good such as "change the world." The last two tracks Asthma and Eternal are great because you go from an intense song like asthma to a well done instrumental track with just guitars. It's a simple yet beautiful way to end the record.
What surprises me is how most people fail to see where P.O.D. is going with their sound. Sonny seems to channel Bob Marley himself on several tracks such as Revolution and Freedom Fighter. They play with so much soul and I believe thats what makes them stick out over similar acts that I mentioned above. They really have something to sing about, something that they are passionate about, something they believe is worth living and dying for.
It's a fun record thats got some great songs on it. There former guitarist marcos is now in his new band called the accident experiment, with singer pete stewart. It's a great project that is much more experimental than P.O.D. and worth checking out. I highly recommend it.
on November 12, 2003
Payable on Death includes the reggae element more than any previous P.O.D. release. It's played to the hilt on "Execute the Sounds," alluding to the band's desire for creativity and faith through what might be described as Jamaican metal. The same could be said of "Wildfire," a sort of Christian invocation, and "Freedom Fighters," about spiritual warfare. The powerful metal ballad finale "Asthma" finds Sandoval rejecting the world and embracing faith: "Breathe/Suffocation within because of what you're saying/To understand is to begin again/To believe is to live again."
Truby is a fine replacement on guitar, but P.O.D. now misses the intriguing Latin element of Curiel's playing. Payable on Death also features Christian guitar guru Phil Keaggy on two tracks, the instrumental closer "Eternal" and a solo on "Revolution." His guitar licks sound wonderful as always, and I love that two distinct Christian music legends have teamed up on this album, but to what end? Those hoping for some great merging of creative forces are liable to be disappointed. "Eternal" sounds like a leftover from one of Keaggy's recent instrumental projects, simply setting his crystal clear electric against Truby's acoustic stylings.
There's just not much here that grabs the spirit like previous P.O.D. anthems-"Waiting on Today" is a hopeful and encouraging rock anthem, but it's no "Youth of the Nation" or "Alive." Fans may also be disappointed to note that the album does not include "Sleeping Awake," their recently recorded song featured in The Matrix: Reloaded. With their previous releases, P.O.D. was a forerunner of the nü-metal sound. While this is still a well-made hardcore rock album-arguably one of the year's best in its genre-it's also nothing you haven't heard before from P.O.D. and similar bands. Payable on Death will satisfy the "Warrior" fan base, and to some degree impact culture for good, but it simply doesn't measure up to their best work.
HALL OF FAMEon January 24, 2005
This powerful album really stands out on account of the memorable songs like Will You, a brooding atmospheric number driven by screaming guitars, primal scream vocals and with catchy hooks aplenty. Tracks like I And Identity with its brilliant drum textures and Find My Way with its insistent bass take the listener even deeper into the land of metal.

Freedom Fighters with its tuneful chorus and Wildfire have a strong spiritual undertone. The latter has moments of prominent jungle drums and snatches of West Indian rhythm that make it stand out. It is quite awesome the way they celebrate the light by transcending the darker emotions, quite impressive.

A slower track, Asthma, is very beautiful with poetic lyrics sung with great intensity. The album concludes with the impressive Eternal, a more subdued but no less powerful number with a sense of restrained strength.

POD is an album of breathtaking instrumental and vocal variety, captivating tunes and lots of attitude. But what ultimately makes it special is the spirituality that infuses the music. If you like your rock heavy, passionate and metallic, you'll love Payable On Death. It's full of life!
on July 21, 2005
I've been down with P.O.D since Warriors EP in 1997. They've released some AWESOME stuff over their time BUT I can't believe people rated this CD with 5 out of 5 stars! This is a horrible album - Will You is by far the best track, but it's doesn't touch The Southtown, Alive, Satellite...etc (the list goes on) Satellite is FAR superior to this album! Infact, it's so superior, it's like a totally different band recorded it. Marcos [leaving/getting kicked out] sure has taken it's toll. This self-titled album is like an album of b-sides! Hopefully their next album with Jason will deserve a 5 out of 5 star rating. Until then, I suggest you spend you money on their previous albums: Satellite, then Fundamental Elements.
on November 13, 2003
When I first got this cd, I was shocked about how different the sound of it was, not anymore rapcore and such. But I think this is bold new direction POD is takeing, and I was quite impressed with Sonny's vocals in some of the songs, and the addition of Jason Truby on guitar has definently been an improvement for the band. He adds a lot of metal muscle to the band and also great melodic riffs. Go and but this cd NOW. You will not be dissapointed.
Heres my song-by-song review:
Wildfire: Explosive guitars and Bad Brains influenced vocals make this one a great start to the album and also my favorite track on the cd. (this or Asthma) 'Musical nation, EMPIRE!!!' I just love it.
Will You: The lead single off the album. When I first heard this song on the radio a few weeks ago, i was very impressed with the guitar work on this one. It has such an easy flow to it and rocks real hard.
Change The World: Awesome song. This is the 'feel-good' song on the album, and it does just that. It gave me the same felling I had when i first heard Alive.
Execute The Sounds: Excellent song, should be the next single I say. This is a very reggae-influenced song with a great smooth beat and heavy guitars. Also the only song on this album with rap.
Find My way: Great song that is maybe written about Marcos. Very heavy guitars and very impressive vocals by Sonny.
Revolution: Awesome song, with a Bad Brains influenced vocals and a really good guitar solo.
The Reasons: This song has a very funky feel to it, kinda sounds like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. With some great slap bass from Traa. This one just makes me wanna get groovy, if ya know what I mean.
Freedom Fighters: An awesome song with some very good technical guitar work from Truby, and excellent reggae vocals, is a very heavy song but with a very good melodic, peaceful, jamaican sound to it. Seems to be the first song by POD with a political message in it.
Waiting On Today-This is an awesome song.
I and Identify: What can I say? WOW! I was really feelin this one and its a great song to scream with. Its probably one of POD's heaviest songs in a while, (possibly 'Portrait') But this one has a great melodic flow but is also very heavy.
Asthma: Very emotional song on this album, kinda like Anything Right was on Satellite. I just love how he is screaming BREATHE!Very heart felt and this may be my favorite POD song so far.
Eternal: A beautiful 6 minute instrumental to close the album. has a very classical guitar sound. I recomend that when you listen to this one you turn it up and just lay back and take it all in. Wonderful.
on November 7, 2003
Well let me just say I aint one of those people that just wirtes a review and dont even have a taste for music. I have a really good taste for music and trust me when I say this, this cd rocks. I thought their previous stuff was great. Well I thought wrong. If you've heard this cd then you know that they have gone away from their hip hop and into a more rocking melodic type deal which I think is awesome. I tell you, this cd has such a great message in it. Positive and spiritual messages, but anyways I will give you all a little song by song deal.
1. Wildfire - Great opening to this cd. great message and great chorus. Talks about how one leads with passion which is obviously Christ and also how one bleeds everlasting which also goes into a christly meaning. All in all i give this song *****.
2. Will You - The first single off the new cd. Again a great song. I think its about someone who is haveing a rough life and asking "will you love me tomorrow? will you stay with me today?" something like that. I give this one a ***** also.
3. Change the World - This is a very good song. I also has a good message in it. the chorus says "One word, a voice unheard, You can change the world, if everyone would stop and listen" abviously the one word is God which speaks with a voice unheard but only heard in the spirit. *****
4.Execute the Sounds - This is just an all out awesome song. One of my favorites. Its a funky type song that Sonny sings with a Jamaican sound. Its just great.Its the closest song on here to hip hop, its half and half i would say. Just an all out positive song here. *****
5. Find my Way - This is my favorite song on here. Just a great rock/melodic song. Hard rocking but kindve slow singing but its a great in this song. Awesome chorus, It makes goosebumps come up. *****
6. Revoultion - Great hard rocking song. Thats all I can describe it as. its just a great song. *****.
7.The Reasons - Its a good song. Its probably the least liked song on here but other than that it gets ****.
8.Freedom Fighters - Another great one here. It talks about how you should live your life free, be free, and die free. Dont let man come in and take your choice away. "we have the right to live in peace,You must fight for what you keep, If what you keep holds truth inside, Stand up,defend, or lay down and die".
9. Waiting on Today - Good song. Great chorus if I must say. ****
10. I and Identify - Awesome heavy song. great verses and great chorus. *****
11. Asthma - the last song from POD on here I would tie this with "Find my Way" actually it gives me goosebumps also. Its a great song to end off with. It says "I would die to Breath again" Meaning he would give his life away to christ to have that fresh breath again.*****.
12. Eternal - This is actually a very good mellow instrumental consisting of 2 guitars. Some guy that was invited plays one and Truby (who is by far better than Marcos)on the other. I mean i am not dissing Marcos one bit, Its just that Truby is what POD has needed, but anyways this gets a *****.
Welp thats it in review. A great cd and a classic at that. Peace and God bless.
on November 7, 2003
Here's a nice introduction to my review for a Payable on Death album: "OH DEAREST LORD!"
I have never, in my life, been so amazed, so taken, so into an album. That said, I'll expand on my beliefs of why this is the closest to a basic life need that any CD will ever get for me.
I've been a P.O.D. fan for over two years. Unlike so many of the songs out today, P.O.D. has lyrics that actually mean something. Lyrics far beyond "Sure wouldn't mind hittin THAT from the back...I like the way you do that right thurr". Believe it or not, there are people who make real music out there today, and P.O.D. is one of those rare bands. Not only that, they are talented beyond the way that any word in the dictionary could even begin to describe.
When Marcos left/got kicked out/whatever, I won't lie - I was EXTREMELY disappointed. He was such a talented guitarist and contributed so much to P.O.D.'s sound as a whole. Still, I remained a Warrior. After hearing "Sleeping Awake", I was quite impressed by the new riffs Truby was bringing... it completely renovated P.O.D.'s style {in a good way, of course}. and I anticipated November 4th so much that I could barely sleep.
Well, Tuesday was November 4th. I have never been so impressed in my life. This is the best album I have ever heard, and I'm not sure if they can top this one. Satellite was sheerly amazing, and this one makes Satellite look like nothing. This album has something for everyone. I'm good at emphasizing and seeing things through others' eyes, but one thing I can't envision is NOT liking this album. It's just too flawless.
From the beginning verse of "Wildfire" to the beautiful instrumental "Eternal", P.O.D. doesn't miss a beat. Sonny's vocals in some songs are literally beautiful. Whenever he said "Oh, I'm not a SINGER", he must have been unaware of his own talents. His voice has developed and changed in so many ways, and he has such a presence in his songs. I think I would die of an adrenaline rush if I seen "Wildfire" performed live.
Best songs: "Wildfire" and "Execute The Sounds".
Worst songs: none.
If I had one piece of advice to give to anyone who's like me, and appreciates real music instead of the garbage created by 50 Cent, Chingy and Britney Spears, it would be merely this: "BUY THIS ALBUM. IMMEDIATELY."
on November 11, 2003
P.O.D. are just one of those bands that pretty much releases albums that will please all of their fans. For people who like the hard-hitting stuff, it's still here. For people who like their brand of rap-rock, it remains intact. And for those who enjoy the reggae flavor, it's here too. Another album full of potential hits, P.O.D. seem to have a firm handle on their sound. With a new guitarist replacing the canned Marcos Curiel, the CD obviously does have a different twist. Newcomer Jason Truby (Living Sacrifice) brings his own style to the band, and while Curiel is missed for his larger than life riffs, Truby seems to be a fitting replacement. Sonny's rapping and singing hasn't changed much but his lyrics have gotten slightly better (as they seem to do with each new album they release.) "Will You" is a fitting single, utilizing Truby's style very well, but there are loads of other potential singles. "Change The World" is probably my favorite song on the disc, very catchy with a positive vibe and good lyrics. Other highlights include "Wildfire," "Find My Way" and "Waiting on Today." When P.O.D. released "Sleeping Awake" from 'The Matrix: Reloaded' earlier this year, I had doubts that I would ever want to listen to any of their new stuff, but 'Payable On Death' proves to be another solid effort from P.O.D. If you liked them before, there's no reason to stop now. And if you never liked them in the first place, this won't change your mind.