4.0 out of 5 stars Works great! Much better than expected..
Published on February 2, 2006 by Ricardo Jacques

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not rocket science folks! :)
Published on September 4, 2007 by Richard D. Quillen

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great! Much better than expected.., February 2, 2006
This review is from: Paylak TSLK3 Watch Band Pin Remover and Link Remover (Watch)
I purchased this item, because I have thin wrists and normally have to get all of my metal watch bands adjusted. This normally requires me to first locate a watch repair shop and then take my watch there for the links to be adjusted; normally at a cost of anywhere from $5 to $8. I finally decided to try the pin remover; not expecting anything special, however to my surprised it worked great! I had the links removed and the band resized in all of about 4 minutes, all without leaving the house. I would have given this 5 stars if there was a case to protect the device's pin from getting bent by accident. However, that is minor, if you're in the market for one of these pin removers you can't go wrong here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for the job, October 29, 2006
The watch band pin remover works well, and is easy to use. Keep in mind that this tool only starts the pin removal, and you'll need a pair of small pliers to complete the job (I use small, easily available chain nose pliers, about 110mm overall length). If you read the directions, you'll be able to use this tool on the first try without breaking anything. Be aware that the pad that the bracelet rests on is spring loaded, but this is not a problem if you read the directions.

The only caveat is about watches, not the tool per se. Normally, a bracelets removable links are marked with an arrow to show the direction to push the pins out. Some Fossil watches are marked with two arrows... The pins friction fit in the middle rather than the end on the far side from where the tool's pin engages the bracelet pin. The tool's pin is a little short for these, but the small pliers make this a non-issue.

Read the directions, have the pliers, and this tool is great (Beware of Fossil watches).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, June 10, 2006
The pin remover works great, but takes requires practice to use correctly. You have to line up the band in the cradle carefully and I broke a couple of pins learning the process. I contacted the seller, Watch Tools about buying some more pins. They offered to send me several replacement pins for free. You can't beat that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right tool for the right job for the right price., July 6, 2007
I bought this press about three months ago and have used it at least ten times since. It has worked perfectly each time.

Others have given great, detailed reviews, so I'll only touch on a few points.

First- the quality of manufacture. This is a plastic press with a few key parts made out of metal. Some have complained about the plastic, but to cast and machine this device would cost the consumer far more than the $15 and shipping.

There have been complaints that the extraction pin is not strong enough. These are incorrect. If the pin were stronger, and made of titanium as somebody suggested, it would be prone to break or snap at the slightest misstep. As it is, the pin will bend considerably before breaking. When you see this happening, STOP.

Second- function. This tool is very easy to use if one observes a few simple precautions. Use it in a well lighted work space. Use a magnifying glass, lens, or loupe if necessary.

You must align the pin to the hole so that the extractor is parallel in two planes- left-right and up-down. The band rests on a spring-loaded platform, so care must be taken to apply enough pressure to get the band even with the pin (the up-down plane).

Then slowly turn the knob until you see the extractor enter the link hole, centered and parallel. Turn slowly and you'll feel a very slight resistance, and then it moves easily and the pin will be driven out the other side of the link. If you feel a strong resistance- STOP. You may be striking the band with the extractor and not the pin. This is how the extractor gets broken.

I've removed several links in several watches, each in just a couple of minutes or less, because this tool is a breeze to use. Once I took out one link too many, and would have lived with that, if not for this tool. In just a minute, I reinstalled the link and was back in business.

The original extractor pin is still intact. If you are impatient, avoid this tool and take your watches to a jeweler. Otherwise, if you have even a couple of watches that need the bands resized, you will be extremely satisfied with the results.

This is a bit of plastic and metal that thinks it's a precision instrument, and acts like it. Who am I to tell it otherwise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Tool but You'll Need More, February 11, 2007
dennis wentraub (schenectady, new york USA) - See all my reviews
It was a small revelation when a jeweler showed me that friction pin fitted watch bands have directional arrows engraved inside the band links. Visibility is critical when aligning the vise pin with the friction pin that is being pushed through. This tool gives good visibility. Still, I recommend that you pick-up a jewelers' loupe. If you are just slightly off center you may snap the vise pin. Happily this tool comes with three replacement pins. You'll need two hands, so get a magnifying lens you can 'hold' in your eye socket. You'll also want tweezers to hold the set screw that locks this tool's push pin in place when you have to replace it. This screw is not much bigger than two grains of coarse salt! Buy an inexpensive set of jeweler screwdrivers to loosen the set screw for a damaged push pin. Needle nose pliers will help pull through the dislodged watch link pin. They may also be needed if you straighten a bent vise pin. Hint from one novice to another: when you replace the friction pin in your watch band after removing links, back it into the band the way it came through. The friction head of the pin is the first to come out and it should be the last to go back in. A small hammer will seal the deal. Adjusting a watch band can be quick, easy, and gratifying. This tool works!

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not rocket science folks! :), September 4, 2007
Product works well for its intended use. However, I must say you can use a SMALL paperclip tip, held by a small pair of pliers, and accomplish the same thing FOR FREE. Just make sure you press DOWN in direction of arrows (pointing DOWN) Have watch resting on soft cloth or velvet if you have it, expect to exert some significant pressure, and when pin "gives" gently wiggle the links apart. Works for every watch I have ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine on my Citizen Eco-Watch, May 22, 2007
I used this tool on my Citizen Titanium Eco-Watch and it worked perfectly. I would advise that you have very good lighting when taking out the pins because this is precision work. If you are far sighted or have poor close up vision you may have problems.

I made sure that everything was aligned up and turned the tool knob very slowly while feeling the pressure on the pin. After a few turns the resistance would simply stop and the pin would drop out from the other side. Make sure you do this on a table so you don't have to go hunting for the pin.

Once the excess watch band segments were removed I simply aligned the segment holes together and pushed the pin back the same direction it came out from. It would go in nearly all the way. The last few millimeters I used the tool again but now on the other side of the pin. After I finished, everything on the band looked perfect. I am quite satisified with this tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product., June 26, 2006
I have a really good sized watch collection and it's really nice to be able to size my own watches. Please be warned that it is really easy to snap the pins on this tool in half. So when you use this product take it easy. I broke the pin the first time i used it and unfortunately I dont have a screwdriver small enough to change the pins. As soon as i get one i will go back to resizing my own watches. Good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool to have around!, July 2, 2006
Thia tool was very easy to use right out of the box. It even came with spare pins just in case one got bent or broken. I could only think of two things to make this a better product.

1. Make the base out of something heavier (metal with rubber padding on the bottom) it would make the tool easier to just sit on a table or workbench. You could focus on adjusting your band or bracelet instead of adjusting the bracelet and holding down the tool

2. Include longer pins as extras. On some of the bands I adjusted I got them started with the tool, but had to use pliers to completely remove the pins and links. Overall though it's a very good product. It works and it's inexpensive. I would recommend it to any non-professional jeweler who has an assortment of watches or bracelets to adjust from time to time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for a watch nut, July 9, 2006
Dom Miliano (Denville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have lots of watches and I have been on a diet. That means when my weight changes, I need to resize my watchs with metal bands. Before, I would have to go to the watch store and wait for him to size it for me. Now, I just use the tool. A cheap way to simplify my life.

Paylak TSLK3 Watch Band Pin Remover and Link Remover