Published on May 15, 2007 by Porfie

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget The Movie But Definitely Read The Book
I can only imagine that `Socrates' is shaking his head at Dan Millman once again, telling him he just didn't get it after all. I can't begin to say how disappointing the movie is after reading the book, which I just recently did for the first time. But I'm gonna try. Luckily I didn't buy the movie but rented it. I suggest you do the same, if you really have to see it,...
Published on February 10, 2008 by J. PARKER

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful Warrior is a inspirational movie that I highly recommend, May 15, 2007
Porfie "Porfie Jr. Medina" (Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I saw this movie back in April and I can say it was truly awesome and very inspirational! According to previous reviews this movie has been out since last summer. I received free tickets to see this courtesy of blockbuster, otherwise I probably would have never came across this movie. Dan Millman is a gymnast who is a popular jock and seems to have it all. Dan has a great body, good looks, and has a charm that allows him to get almost any girl. All this seems to be great for Dan's ego, but deep down inside he is far from happy. He starts to have these violent dreams that keep him up late at night. One night when Dan can not sleep he wanders in to a service station and meets a mysterious man. This man who Dan calls "Socrates" will help take him on one of the most amazing journeys of his life. This journey will become one of the most important things when Dan has a motorcycle accident and shatters one of his legs along with his dreams of being in the Olympics. Peaceful Warrior is based on a book, and the movie is one of the most inspiring movies to come out in a very long time. I will not say any more because I don't want to ruin it for those who have not seen it. I will say this is one great movie and Im glad it is finally coming to DVD. I highly recommend this great movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Take Out The Trash Dan" ~ There's No Higher Purpose Than Service To Others, July 2, 2007
Based on allegedly actual events chronicled in Dan Millman's book `Way of the Peaceful Warrior' the film `Peaceful Warrior' released in `05 takes the audience on a shamanic spiritual journey in the most unlikely of places, a twentieth century urban center, more precisely, Berkley, California.

Synopsis: Dan Millman is a top gymnast at U. C. Berkley yet despite his many successes he feels empty and incomplete inside. Plagued by dreams of failure Dan is unable to sleep and finds himself wandering the streets in the early hours of the morning. When he stops at an all night gas station and service mart he meets a man of unconventional wisdom who begins to instruct him on the process of clearing his mind of all the useless garbage it contains in order to view himself and the world around him in a brand new way.

`Peaceful Warrior' is one of those rare films that both entertains and teaches without sacrificing one for the other. The production values are high, the dialogue believable and the performances strong. Scott Mechlowicz was definitely the right choice to play the role of Berkley gymnast Dan Millman and Nick Nolte delivers one of his best performances in years as the mysterious Socrates, garage attendant and "New Age" Zen Master. Add to the mix Amy Smart as Dan's love interest Joy and you have a little romance as well. I did find the film to be slightly uneven here and there, the best moments taking place whenever Nick Nolte (Socrates) is on screen. However the message is so well presented and the actors so amiable any minor gliches are forgivable.

My Rating: 4 1/2 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie to share, June 22, 2007
This film is a wonderful experience worth watching several times to get the full impact. Let me preface this by saying I had not read the book prior to seeing the movie. Some people told me that they preferred the book (which is often true of book-to-film adaptations). I disagree- while I have since read the book and think it is great, I prefer the film. The film is about a young man's lessons in life--what works and what doesn't. Yes, the philosophy could be considered simple or basic, but it's also true and it doesn't hurt to be reminded of some of these "truths" once in awhile since most movies don't do that. The acting is excellent-- the characters are given some depth- particularly the lead role, Socrates, and the coach. Believable and honest. I think it has universal appeal-- but I particularly hope that a lot of adolescent boys see it-- it will give them something to ponder-- something which most "car crash" movies usually aimed at that demographic don't do. Parents- this is a movie for your teenagers (I don't think children under 13 would get it--plus there are some semi-violent images). When trying to convince friends and others to watch it, I often show chapter 8 from the disc (where Socrates teaches the athlete a lesson- won't spoil the surprise here)-- it definitely makes people want to see the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable film, July 5, 2006
Let me preface this by saying I had not read the book prior to seeing the movie. I'm told that those who have read the book might be disappointed in this film (but that's usually true, I think...). That said, this is an excellent film about a young man's lessons in life--what works and what doesn't. Yes, the philosophy is rather simple, but it's also true and it doesn't hurt to be reminded of some of these "truths" once in awhile since most movies don't do that. The acting is excellent-- the characters are given some depth- particularly the lead role, Socrates, and the coach. Believable and honest. I think it has universal appeal-- but I particularly hope that a lot of adolescent boys see it-- it will give them something to ponder-- something which most "car crash" movies usually aimed at that demographic don't do. Parents- this is a movie to take your adolescents to (I don't think children under 13 would get it--plus there are some semi-violent images) and have a good discussion over some ice cream afterward.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Here and Now, August 26, 2006
What an awesome film! This is the very kind of film that can transform our mad society into a more conscientious and peaceful place. In an era of extreme politics & religion, this film brings so many wonderful things together in an almost fantastical way that a lot of us wish we experienced. Without any politics, God or heavy religion guilt trips, it delivers a tremendous message of accountability, prosperity and hope.

This movie impacted me in the most fabulous way. Nick Nolte who has the reputation of one the wildest druggies, rebels and maniacs; in this film he plays "Socrates" the angel. I hope his life has truly changed and this film is a reflection of how his life is now. Highly recommended and hope that the film gets 30,000 viewings so it can make it to the Big Screen. Not just independent theaters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Meaningful Work, October 24, 2006
There haven't been many movies that I've seen more than once in the theater and I've seen this 3 times. This movie is a wonderful story, a great complement to the book. And the presentation of some of the wisdom is downright joyous and funny at times. It is filled with things that you will be thinking about months and years later. I still am. The actors did a great job. Nick Nolte was a joy as Socrates. This will be in my library as soon as it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Most Profound Films I Have Seen In A Very Long Time!, August 25, 2006
Danny G. (Baltimore, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
What makes this great flick so unusual is the moviegoer can actually learn something tremendously useful and be entertained at the same time! Dan Millman has written several books on his life transforming experiences, I'm so glad he was able to make his story come alive on the Big Screen!

What a sheer delight to watch from beginning to end! Scott Mechlowicz, of Odyssey 5 fame, is a wonderful actor, and plays the star role with great passion and convicton. If there's any justice in Hollywood, he should be getting some bigger acting jobs! He's a rising star! Tom Cruise watch out! He may soon be nipping at your heels!

Unfortunately, this movie lasted for only a week, or two, at one of my very small, local independent theaters! Where was the P.R. budget? It hardly made a blip on the radar screen! Imbd.com barely mentioned it, for Pete's sake! It outrageous that one of the year's best movies will be a very well kept secret, indeed!

Other than Superman Returns, I can think of no other 2006 release that moved me so deeply. While Peaceful Warrior maybe a flop in the United States, one can only hope the same mistakes are not repeated when the movie is released internationally!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Zen of Freeing One's Mind, July 7, 2007
Here's one great movie which is headed; eventually, to become a cult classic like Star Wars, the Matrix and What the Bleep do we know??: A movie that will open up one's mind to ponder the mysteries of the divine universe and our relationship to and in it. What really impressed me about the movie is how it closely followed the sequence and events in the book. In addition to the scene where Socrates exemplified Jesus by giving away all of his and Dan's personal items in order to avoid physical conflict.

Whether you believe this or not, "synchronicity" brought you "here" and to my humble review and recommendation of this movie: This movie provides the navigation and road map for you to discover the "meta-purpose" of why you are "here" and how to learn to follow your own path through this 3D reality.

First of all, there are many complex meta-elements in this movie; such as, (1) the issues of violence against oneself, (2) the seeking of approval from others and the outside "world," (3) how the vast majority of people sleep-walk through life and don't exist, feel and live in the moment and experience real joy, (4) service to others is the ultimate purpose of one's existence, (5) developing non-attachment to trinkets (material stuff) and the drama of daily events, (6) realizing that what one experiences and learns along the journey is what's important and not the goal in itself, (7) clearing out the garbage within one's mind in order to sense, feel and experience everything which is happening around oneself, (8) the universe is a mirror and reflection of what's going on within your head ~ you create your reality, (9) there's a very big difference between knowledge and wisdom, and (10) the true answers to all of one's questions are centered and anchored within you already, which is where the kingdom of God and heaven is, and all you need to do is still your thoughts and monkey-mind to access them.

What also stands out in this movie are the contrasts between Dan Millman, who is an immature, arrogant, and self-absorbed college gymnast and Socrates whom is exemplified as the wise sage, mentor and teacher. As the movie progresses from beginning to end, I realized that this movie followed the path of what Joseph Campbell referred to as the "Journey of the Hero." The journey of the hero involves: (1) doubt, denial, anger & disbelief, (2) separation and isolation from the "world," (3) death to one's beliefs, experience & initiation, (4) understanding, resolution, acceptance, integration and the fusion of knowledge into wisdom, and (5) the "return" to reality and society in order to be of service to others. This concept is very similar to Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross's stages of Death and Dying and Eric Erickson's psychological levels of growth and development in which the highest level is self-actualization in which very few people ever achieve or reach.

Let me reiterate my following statement; "synchronicity brought you here to read everyone's reviews, and mine, of this highly recommended and spiritual movie." If you start knocking, doors (universes, answers and realities) will open up to you; if you ask the appropriate questions, answers will come to you; and if you sincerely seek, you will find that special mentor, teacher and resource(s) to guide you along your "hero's journey" in this 3D reality... May peace be with you, my friends!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few movies worth the cost of admission!, July 8, 2006
M. Rose (Antioch, CA) - See all my reviews
Because of its limited bizarre and limited release, it is unfortunate that many people will be unable to see this in a theatre.

I had to travel many miles to view it, but it was well worth the time and expense.

This film takes director Victor Salva away from his usual genre, and as I long expected, he proved he can do a great job outside of his usual comfort zone.

I had not read the book prior to seeing the film, but I found the film very inspirational and highly entertaining. Ignore the MPAA rating, this film is highly suitable for the entire family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful Warrior is a inspirational movie that I highly recommend, March 30, 2007
I just came back from watching this movie and I can say it was truly awesome and very inspirational! According to the previous reviews this movie has been out since last summer. I received free tickets to see this courtesy of blockbuster, otherwise I probably would have never came across this movie. Dan Millman is a gymnast who is a popular jock and seems to have it all. Dan has a great body, good looks, and has a charm that allows him to get almost any girl. All this seems to be great for Dan's ego, but deep down inside he is far from happy. He starts to have these violent dreams that keep him up late at night. One night when Dan can not sleep he wanders in to a service station and meets a mysterious man. This man who Dan calls "Socrates" will help take him on one of the most amazing journeys of his life. This journey will become one of the most important things when Dan has a motorcycle accident and shatters one of his legs along with his dreams of being in the Olympics. Peaceful Warrior is based on a book, and the movie is one of the most inspiring movies to come out in a very long time. I will not say any more because I don't want to ruin it for those who have not seen it. I will say this is one great movie that I hope ends up doing much better at the box office through word of mouth. I highly recommend this great movie!

Peaceful Warrior