5.0 out of 5 stars A book that should be read by the peacocks and the penguins
Published on May 5, 2010 by Charles Ashbacher

2.0 out of 5 stars Catchy Title But...
I did not buy this book. It was given to me by an associate as an `idea' for a corporate-wide human resources conference.

Published on July 31, 2009 by Michael L. Gooch

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that should be read by the peacocks and the penguins, May 5, 2010
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
The best thing about a fable is that they can be used to deliver harsh messages in soft tones. In this story the penguins are bureaucratic bound managers that are unwilling to tolerate any change, even if it is the mere mention of change. The peacock is a hotshot (in the good sense) new hire that is full of energy, new ideas, creativity and purpose. Similar dynamic individuals added to the organizations are an eagle, hawk, mockingbird, and a swan. All started jobs in an organization run by penguins where the penguins professed a desire to execute some changes. At first the penguins were happy to see the infusion of "new blood."
However, over time the penguins grew insecure over the prospects of change and together they forced out all of the "unusual" birds. Although the nonconformists suffered a bit, they managed to gather together and form a dynamic and creative group that they called the "Land of Opportunity."
As the material in the afterword demonstrates, this is an excellent book for diversity and creativity training. In the modern business world, every employee needs to be operating on all creative cylinders and must be heard. For it is impossible to predict where the next great idea will arise so it could very well be suicidal to discount or suppress any new idea that is raised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for Diversity Training, April 22, 2002
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
I am an attorney practicing labor and employment law and have used this book in diversity training. It is the best I have read, and believe it conveys the benefits of diversity in a simple and easy to understand way. All levels of employees, from rank and file to top executives, can (and in my experience do)relate to its message.

2.0 out of 5 stars Catchy Title But..., July 31, 2009
Michael L. Gooch (Washington, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)

As a corporate director, I was flabbergasted by the simpleton tone of this book. Some pages only contained 6 to 10 words while others may contain more words but made little sense. The theory behind this book is that people are different and we should allow diversity to flourish in order to make the company and the employee happy. This is an idea that any thinking manager caught up with a couple of generations ago.

It is no wonder that our creativity and abilities to sustain long term profitability - not to mention our adaptability and flexibility - is going down the drain. It is not only this book but others I have seen that are very similar. They start by developing a catchy theme and then building a one-trick pony system around the theme. It is a cartoonish way to manage but I suppose in this twitter world anything with heft is dealt out of the deck. It is so sad to see people traveling down this path.

I did find value in the book by giving it to my grandchildren to read. They enjoyed it.

If you wish to really explore this topic, I would highly recommend Don't Bring It to Work: Breaking the Family Patterns That Limit Success.

I hope you find this review helpful.

Michael L. Gooch, SPHR

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 25, 2010
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
I was asked to read this book for work and since reading it I have shared it with many others including my 8 year old daughter. Its an easy read and really gets the point across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a gem, June 13, 2014
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
Took less than an hour to read, helped me figure out my place in the organization that I work for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought For An Executive Coach, June 1, 2014
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
The missus is very experienced in the field of executive coaching and career counseling/transition and she wanted me to order this book for her. I am not in this field so have not read the book but she has. And if she wants it, it must be good :)

5.0 out of 5 stars help I'm in a company in penguin world, November 30, 2013
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
Need diversity training for work. I know I work for a company made up of penguins. Some of us need to shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I was looking for, February 9, 2013
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
This book is a required read for a diversity course I am taking. It is exactly what I am looking for and it showed up quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graduation Gift, January 14, 2013
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
A great gift for young adults who could use a little direction in understanding people are different and that's ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reverse psychology, October 20, 2006
This review is from: A Peacock in the Land of Penguins (Paperback)
This book helped me greatly to determine what was happening in my life at a particular time in my office and its personnel structure. It takes you trhought the characters on a journey of office environments and the typical personalities found therein. I do not have anything but praise for this title. A great read, jovial, and humorous it is a definite buy.

A Peacock in the Land of Penguins
A Peacock in the Land of Penguins by B. J. Gallagher Hateley (Paperback - December 15, 2001)
$17.95 $14.25