4.0 out of 5 stars Peak wireless backup camera
Install comments: Awkward using lighter power plug for mirror since it hangs down so I direct wired to compass power feed and works fine. Little tricky clipping the light gauge wiring of the transmitter to the automotive wiring of the backup light.

Published on August 24, 2011 by minerphil

2.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, bad mirror
I purchased this product for a 2006 Toyota Highlander.

What's included:
- Camera & video cord
- Transmitter & power cord
- Mirror with LCD
- 2 bolts, nuts and washers
- 4 wire splicers (nice!)
- 2 velcro straps for mounting the mirror
Published on August 18, 2011 by Kirk

2.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, bad mirror, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Peak PKC0RG Small Rearview Mirror with 3.5-Inch Backup Camera (Automotive)
I purchased this product for a 2006 Toyota Highlander.

What's included:
- Camera & video cord
- Transmitter & power cord
- Mirror with LCD
- 2 bolts, nuts and washers
- 4 wire splicers (nice!)
- 2 velcro straps for mounting the mirror
- 2 power cords for the mirror (1 cigarette lighter and one to be hard wired into the existing wiring, whichever install you choose)

The Good:
1. The install was relatively easy and the product comes with every part you need to install it successfully on the vehicle
2. The camera is good quality
3. The instructions are straight forward and easy to follow

The Bad:
1. The wireless LCD mirror is a good idea, but gets interference as you're driving through neighborhoods, so the screen turns on randomly to a blue screen
2. The mirror is HEAVY, so every bump you hit in the road has the potential to swivel the mirror down
3. The mirror is pretty dark (that's the patented tinting they describe in their product overview), which makes it difficult to see anything at night and even in the day time
4. They don't offer any wiring tips in their instructions, so it's up to you to figure out which wire is the 'reverse light wire'.

Overall, due to the wireless interference and mirror issues, I wouldn't be able to recommend this product and will probably be returning mine for a model that is wired and has a mirror without tinting.

If you do decide to purchase this product for a similar vehicle, here's some pointers:
- You may have to drill a 7/16" hole behind your license plate to feed the camera cord through. I tried to find a different location (license plate lights) to feed the wires through, but it would have ruined the weather stripping. After you feed the wire, you can use some epoxy, caulking or even hot glue (in cooler climates) to seal the hole.
- To conceal the wires for the camera, remove the panel of the back door before you begin, this way you have more room to work with and can tape the camera wire to the existing wires running through the door.
- The power for the reverse light on the Highlander (all Toyota's?) is the dark pink wire. The ground is the thicker white/black strip wire
- On the Highlander, the wireless transmitter fits nicely next to the tail light housing inside the vehicle. Almost like it was built for it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable for the price, September 8, 2011
Initial worries I had before buying:-

1) Quality of video - turned out acceptable
2) Wireless interference - turned out acceptable
3) Installation - 1 hour and no drilling, cutting needed on my 2010 corolla
4) Quality of rear-view mirror - acceptable

Problems in usage now :-

1) On bright day, video brightness is very less. Definitely can't use sunglasses while backing up. Mostly can't use it in Sunny days
2) When there is alight source right behind you (street light or sun behind you) the display is all hazed-up and not usable.

Overall acceptable. Not returning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peak wireless backup camera, August 24, 2011

Works well and signal clear. Great for spotting and aligning to trailer hitch. Only one incident of radio interference triggering mirror view. At work a wireless security camera triggers camera interference, but when transmitter powers the signal is stronger and backup camera clears up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Safety Add-on but camera quit, March 3, 2012
I installed this unit in a 2004 Subaru Forester for my wife. The mirror unit uses 4 clamps plus 2 Velcro straps to attach to the front of the factory mirror. The factory mirror does not droop with the additional weight of this mirror. There is a power connector at the top center of the mirror. You have a choice of 2 different power cords. One plugs into a standard 12v outlet. The other has leads to hard wire into the backup lighting circuit. I like the design of the mounting bracket that the camera is attached to. It allows you to remove the top 2 bolts from the rear license plate and slip the bracket behind the plate. The camera slips over the front of the plate and clicks into 4 or 5 different positions.

This paragraph is for anyone that might have this car. On the Subaru there is somewhat limited clearance between the camera and the hatch release. I bent the bracket down slightly and there is enough room to get your hand in and release the hatch. I was able to avoid drilling the 1/2 inch hole required to feed the wire inside. You need to remove the plastic trim inside the hatch and the plastic trim piece outside that has the Subaru letters across the back. The 2 lamps for the license plate feed through a molded rubber coupling to the inside. By unplugging the lighting connector and removing the wiring I was able to trim enough rubber away from the coupling to slip in the camera wire. The camera plugs into the wireless transmitter which I attached to the inside of the hatch using the supplied wire ties. The power wire to the wireless transmitter needs to be routed to one of the backup lamps. This took some doing as the wire had to be fished through the rubber accordion coupling from the hatch to the upper body of the car. I used the right tail lamp and partially removed trim along the top and right rear of the hatch area.

Initially I used the 12v outlet for the mirror assembly. As others have noted the wireless receiver can pick up stray wireless signals as you drive around. Not too bad in the burbs but when I was driving around Queens, N.Y. the unit was flashing the parking guidelines on every block. I was amused to see images from wireless security cameras but after a while it gets distracting. You would really need to tap the power button and turn off the unit in congested surroundings. The image is decent and clear most of the time. I don't see a lot of static although I could certainly envision situations where the wireless might have interference. You do have to wait a few seconds after putting the car in reverse for the image to appear.

In the end I decided to hard wire the mirror unit to the backup lighting circuit so it would be fully automated like a factory unit. I was unable to locate the wire up front for the backup lighting so I extended the wire they supplied and ran it back to the same tail light. Definitely a lot more work. It also negates the advantage of the wireless setup as I had to run a wire the length of the car anyhow. If you don't mind turning the power on and off at the mirror or if you are in wide open spaces this is probably a non-issue.

My wife is satisfied with the unit. It's definitely an add-on safety feature and not really a substitute for looking behind you. For us, the mirror tint is OK for both daytime and nighttime driving. I think that given the low cost the manufacturer has done a pretty good job of assembling this package. The camera bracket design, the mirror clamp, the wire splices and wire wraps pretty much take care of it. A longer power wire to the mirror would have been nice and they might consider a fully wired unit as well where power and camera are integrated in a single long cable.

Update: 4-30-12. Water must have gotten in the camera as it stopped working. Now all I get is red-blue-green splotches on the screen. Will try to get a replacement. What a pain. Have lowered rating.

Update: 11-2-12. Since replacing camera it has been working just fine with no further issues. Added back star.

Update: 8-25-13. Still working fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device overall, August 8, 2011
I was a bit skeptical, when I backordered this, but I am glad I did. I received it sooner than expected. I installed it on a toyota sienna Van and the camera actually looks really good on top of the license plate. Now the installation was not dificult but take some times, for instance in my case I had to drill a small hole and cut the camera line, insert it and reconnect them together at the other end. Once installed, it performs really good. I have to agree with the previous comment there is no night vision, however you can still see if there's something behind you at night, the reverse lights seem to provide enough lighting for that purpose but I figure night vision would have being clearer. Overall all I think this is great for the price. It fits nicely over your existing mirror. My main complaint is the fact that you have to leave it plug to the cigarette lighter adapter at all time to power it. I wish it came with a rechargeable battery + the lighter options. It does have a battery compartment but can't seem to figure out what kind it takes or if it's even available. I may have to contact the company about it. Overall it's great. If you're looking for a good cheap camera for your vehicle, this one might work for you; it's working great for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better than Reviews Indicate, February 27, 2012
It took me roughly 45 minutes to install the camera and the mirror. I installed it in a Honda Ridgeline. I put the transmitter up inside the bed wall about 1 foot from the cab. While I can't say that it works perfect every time, it works well 90% of the time. I consider that a pretty good percentage rate given that half of world works on wireless devices like wireless routers and wireless cameras on buildings that cloud the same spectrum that this camera uses.

I have experienced some of the same problems that other have while driving but it is very easy to reach up and turn off the power to the mirror while driving. Again, many people have wireless routers and wireless cameras on buildings that will cause the mirror to flicker every occasionally while driving but the manufacturer is limited to what spectrum the FCC gives them to work with so I can't fault them for the overlap in wireless transmission and some interference. Truth be told the mirror does a pretty good job of sorting out the garbage interference.

This is a $75 unit folks. If you expect better results you should expect to have to pull a few more dead Presidents out of your wallet than what this unit costs. I think that it works well for what you pay for. It works pretty well in the dark given the camera is not night vision equipped, it works really well with any level of light, and the monitor in the mirror is plenty big to see what is behind you. If the monitor in the mirror is too small, you might consider a visit to Lenscrafters. I'm considering buying another unit for my other car. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice upgrade from previous, January 5, 2012
Had an older camera from Peak with a 7" display. Mirror tint is fine for me and yes I have a tinted rear window. It covered my automatically tinting mirror. Now it is tinted all the time. Good enough to see during the day and tinted enough to cut the headlights at night. I had to place the camera as low as it would go on the mount. Still looks better than the bar going acrossed the plate from the old one. Nice that the camera is adjustable too. Had to use supplied washers before to get the angle. As close to "factory" as you can get. If the mirror was a replacement rather than a clamp on you'd never know the difference. Mirror mounted over existing mirror with no problem. It really isn't to heavy... at least not for mine. I hard wired mine to the power to the existing mirror.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, January 24, 2013
It was easy to install. Even with running wires through the bumper frame and hooking power for the monitor from the dome light it took less than 2 hours to install. The way I did it, only 1 1/2 inches of wire is visible for the whole system. That wire runs from the front lip of the headliner to the top of the mirror / monitor. I read in some of the other reviews about using silicone to better seal the camera. I'm always eager to learn from other's mistakes, so I sealed the camera and have not had any problems. If you're a do it your selfer, you shouldn't have any problems. If you use a butter knife as a screwdriver, move on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm up your soldering iron, January 16, 2012
As mentioned in other reviews, the real challenge with this type of device is the installation. First, you must have a soldering iron and multimeter (and know how to use them). If you don't, find someone nice who does. Second, you need to know how to get around your car's electrical system. I suggest that you join an online forum dedicated to your make & model. (For example, I have a 2000 Acura TL, so I subscribe to acurazine.com.) Find articles on this kind of installation, or something similar. (For example, I found an article on how to replace the rear-view mirror that showed me how to get at the 12v mirror wires.) Third, learn from these reviews and throw away the crimp connectors that come with the kit (the reddish plastic things they show in the picture). They are trash. If you try to use them, you will only prolong your pain. Strip the wires to your backup light and solder on the provided power connector wires. You will also want a handfull of small-to-medium zip ties. Several medium ones are included in the kit, but I needed a number of small ones to make everything stay where I wanted.

Once everything was finally hooked up and working, the picture came in loud and clear. However, I also noticed occasional bursts of static in the display while driving around. (Yes, the transmitter is off, but the display seems to be fairly sensitive.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rearview Mirror Camera, June 5, 2013
I chose this Backup Camera because it had the highest number of satisfied customers. Three Stars out of 50 reviews. I read all the reviews. What I found out when I installed mine is most are wrong. This is a very easy product to install. You can install the mirror in 15 minutes or less. It snaps on your existing mirror and fastens securely with velcro straps. Push the power cord under the headliner and under the trim on the side down to the side of your dash. Then run it under your dash and plug it into your 12v outlet. The camera mounts on you license plate. I got this installed by Best Buy for $80.00. This included tax. It took them less than an hour to finish the job. The mirror was a little dare until I noticed, and it is cut exactly the size of the mirror, a plastic film covering the mirror. When I removed it, the mirror was much better. The camera can be adjusted in Five different angles to give you the best view. On your Mirror, you also have a button that gives you back up lines. This can be turned on or off. You have the ability to change your picture for Brightness and Contrast. The installer at Best Buy said that it was the nicest one he had seen. So I got the Backup camera and installation for less than $180.00. The best thing, My wife loves it. If she is happy everyone is happy. Buy it you will like it.