Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on August 15, 2013
If the exquisite photography of these delectable treats does not first drive you to eat the pages or ruin them with excessive salivation, Peanut Butter Comfort promises over a hundred irresistible recipes for the peanut butter enthusiast. Averie Sunshine craftily manipulates peanut butter's texture and taste to make stunning breakfast meals, snacks, and deserts. Luckily, this book requires no exotic ingredients that will send you on a wild hunt from market to market--more often than not, I have been able to scrounge up all the necessary ingredients from my modestly stocked cupboard.

Averie Sunshine throws less-experienced bakers a few bones in the form of tips concerning important details including different varieties of chocolate and peanut butter, correct measuring techniques, helpful tool and gadgets, and even special organization in the kitchen. Her personal commentary on recipes and conversational narration further takes any baking intimidation out of the equation.

Not only are these recipes quick and realistic, but many are also vegan-friendly, and the ingredients, though not necessarily the stuff you would eat in a low-fat diet, are wholesome. There are also a number of recipes that require no baking whatsoever. This book is intensely visual, so I've added a video component to this review. But consider yourself warned--just looking at this book will make you hungry! If you are madly in love with peanut butter, you simply need this book.
on June 9, 2013
First off I have to say that I love Averie. I've been following her blog for 2 years and she is truly one of the friendliest bloggers out there. She answers your recipe questions right away and her blog just has an overall friendly and non-intimidating feel to it. Her cookbook is a lot like her blog, filled with stunning photographs, easy to follow recipes, and narrated in her friendly voice. The recipes in the book are super approachable and use ingredients that you can find in any grocery store. You won't find yourself searching high and low for an exotic ingredient. When trying a few recipes, I found that I already had most of the ingredients on hand, and who doesn't love that?

I found her Key Ingredients, Methods, Tips and Tricks chapter to be very informative, and I'm a pretty good baker, so it was nice to learn a few things. I also found her explanation on the different types of peanut butter to be very informative as well. I love learning that Averie is a fellow Jif peanut butter fan like myself.

Most of her recipes are quick to make, so if you're craving something after dinner, you can have dessert on the table in about 1/2 hour, she even has some recipes that can be made in 5 minutes! My 13 year old daughter has even made some of these recipes herself, so this book is great for a novice baker. Some of my favorite recipes from her book are, the chocolate peanut butter cups, peanut butter cocoa krispies s'mores bars, homemade peanut butter, and fresh spring rolls with thai peanut sauce. I've only had the book for a week, but my kids have earmarked a ton of recipes that they want to try. So basically, if you love peanut butter and sweets, then this is the cookbook for you!
on June 6, 2013
Averie's cookbook is a must for every home chef (and peanut butter lover, of course!). In addition to a wide variety of sweet & savoury recipes, the book offers easy-to-understand tips - from working with various forms of chocolate, to proper ingredient measuring, as well as the essential tools and gadgets everyone should have in their kitchen cabinets and drawers. Thanks to Averie's personal notes on each recipe, first time bakers will feel immediately at ease whilst long-time baking addicts will find new and tasty ways to sharpen their pastry prowess!

I just opened the book yesterday and I've already made Averie's Old Fashioned Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. Without a doubt, these cookies are The best peanut butter cookies. Ever! (And I have made a lot of pb cookies!) I cannot wait to try, (and devour!) more recipes from this delectable book!

P.S. If you lack counter space, the book is compact enough to sit comfortably alongside your mixing bowls and baking sheets. :)
on June 9, 2013
You'd think that with over 100 recipes, that would be enough to satisfy the throngs of peanut butter loving bakers, and you'd be right. But, this is more than just a cookbook full of savory and sweet concoctions. It's a cookbook first, but before we get to the recipes, and OH, WE WILL, the first section of the book contains such a wealth of baking information that I would hardly call it "just" a cookbook.

Key ingredients, cooking methods, tips, and tricks contains information that Averie has gleaned from reading about and experimenting with cooking and baking over the last several years. More detailed than the newbie baker is probably looking for, it satisfied my scientific mind. It includes everything from how to organize your space while baking, what the difference is between browned butter and melted butter, why you should chill cookie dough, the best brands of chocolate and peanut butter (thoroughly tested even), to making your own vanilla extract. Following that, the list of equipment and tools is a valuable asset for those who are new to cooking or are just setting up their first kitchen. I don't think there is anything missing from the exhaustive list (not even plastic wrap is left off!), and the asterisk denoting tools that are used in recipes in the book is especially helpful.

And then, the recipes. Ten chapters with 100+ recipes from savory to sweet, baked and no-bake, cookies and sauces; I can hardly think of a type of food that is missing. Each recipe has a brief description and at least one, usually many photos. There are also great little personal stories about the recipe, often from Averie's childhood in the Midwest, which I personally loved and made me feel nostalgic while reading them. Just as an example of the level of detail in the recipe sections, the cookie chapter starts with a "Cookie Top 10", includes several recipes, and ends with a section on troubleshooting cookie baking. And the final coup comes at the end, with 27 variations of homemade peanut butter!

Though my love of peanut butter is perhaps on par with Averie's, I don't have nearly the sweet tooth that she does, and I can't eat dairy or gluten. Still, I've got a list of recipes I personally can't wait to try (adapted to fit my dietary constraints). In no particular order: Peanut butter cupcakes, peanut butter infused maple syrup (to use with EVERYTHING), vanilla extract, Molassed Ginger Spice cookies, PB&J Sweet Potato Fries (!!!), Cherry Peanut Butter, Basic Peanut Sauce, Thai Peanut sauce with spring rolls, Savory Peanut Butter hummus, and Rice Krispie Peanut Butter with Cinnamon and Vanilla.

Bring on the baking!
on June 20, 2013
Averie's cookbook "Peanut Butter Comfort" takes all the intimidation out of baking. The cookbook is filled with great peanut butter recipes that go way beyond peanut butter cookies. Recipes include the old favorites but also there are lots of new twists like "Spring Rolls with Thai Peanut Sauce," "Sweet 'n' Salty Candied-Up Trail Mix" and "Rolo-Stuffed Caramel Sticky Buns." There is a gorgeous full color photo of each recipe. The directions are very very clear with lots and lots of very helpful hints. Anyone can be successful and look like a baking star making these recipes. This is a five star cookbook. I love this cookbook!
on January 20, 2015
Book is more for a beginner. Loaded with detailed information, too much for experienced bakers. There are no page numbers on kindle, which makes it impossible to find the recipe based on the index. Not suited for a Kindle.
on January 26, 2015
I bought this cookbook as a gift for my husband who loves anything and everything peanut butter. My gift to him was to pick out any recipe in this book and I'd attempt to make it (and when he finished eating that one, he could pick another and so on). Now, I do not at all! I have to google how to boil an egg! I can follow baking recipes unless they get more complicated than mixing, then I struggle. I've made 4 of her recipes already and each one has come out pretty close to perfect and utterly delicious! She details out the steps to follow (for the kitchen challenged like me), uses precise measurements, and lets you know when you can substitute something. What I really appreciated was the section in the front of the cookbook that teaches you about some of the secrets to baking. i.e. What's the difference between baking soda and powder? Did you know you should use large eggs (not extra large eggs)? Did you know eggs should be at room temperature? Should I use salted or unsalted butter? And I honestly didn't know you're not supposed to dip your measuring cup into the bag of flour (it can pack it down resulting in more flour than you need for the recipe). So needless to say, I learned a lot from the introduction chapter! I cannot recommend this book and her blog enough. Her pictures make your mouth water! You can tell that a lot of love went into developing these recipes, and I am loving making them for my husband and I.
review image
on January 3, 2014
I enjoy Averie's blog so I bought this. I love peanut butter, but not as much as Averie. She has some different combos with peanut butter that are not for me. Her recipes are successful though.
on February 18, 2015
I never knew there were so many things you could make with peanut butter! Thanks to Averie for opening my eyes to more possibilities. I think George Washington Carver would be glad to see a book devoted to peanuts! I appreciate the magazine finish on the pages, the mouthwatering photographs and the simplicity of some of the recipes which make it easy for older kids to learn to cook goodies. I especially love, love, love the recipe for the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Skillet Cookie. The sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter layer made this unique and delicious! That being said, I think this is not an everyday cookbook as there are a lot of sweet recipes....moderation is key.
on June 30, 2014
I bought this book 4-6 months ago because i bake a lot and love peanut butter. I spent some time looking through the book when it arrived and i was very disappointed. Most of the recipes seem just silly and the whole production is amateurish. I put the book on a bookshelf and forgot about it until yesterday. Looking through the book again i decided to make the Peanut Butter Blondies. Keep in mind that i bake several times a week and am considered a skillful baker. This recipe turned out to be a joke and obviously it had not been tested by anyone other than the author. Some of her suggestions proved impossible to do, such as crossing the top with a knife for the purpose of having the fairly thick layer of peanut butter blend with the dough. No, it just sits there on top, even after baking. I let the baked product cool off for several hours before cutting. Even so, it was very messy with peanut butter and chocolate chips falling off. I put everything in the freezer as this may help a bit. Still, these are not cookies i would dare to offer to guests.
I will never waste my time and resources on making another recipe from this book and feel that Amazon should pull this amateurish, untested book from its sales offerings.