Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on April 3, 2001
Let me reveal my prejudices right up front - I'm a big Elizabeth Lowell fan and I've loved all of her contemporary novels, especially the Donovan series. "Pearl Cove", however, is truly exceptional. Archer Donovan is the oldest Donovan brother, and he has a definite edge about him. He's physically amazing - of course - but he also has deep emotions that he keeps tightly controlled. When his illegitimate half-brother's wife, Hannah, asks him to come to Pearl Cove, Australia following the brother's murder, he immediately leaves his comfortable home in Seattle. The trip stirs up a lot of emotions for Archer. There's his complicated relationship with the half-brother, his uncomfortable past as a secret operative, and his forbiden attraction to Hannah herself. You're in for lots of love, lust and adventure as he and Hannah sort it out.
One of Lowell's fortes is her wonderful research which she artfully weaves into her story. You'll learn any amazing amount about the fascinating world of pearls while you're reading this book - the way they're made, how they are appraised and the international pearl market - but Lowell so skillfully adds it to the story that you won't feel like you're getting a lesson. You will also love her well-developed and exciting characters, not to mention the Donovan family. I like my family quite a lot, but I'd be happy to be adopted by the Donovans... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Lowell will give us the stories of the absent twin brothers!
on September 15, 1999
Thank you Elizabeth Lowell, for once again doing it to me. This book was definitely the best of the series yet. I have read all three in the series and can't wait for number four. I would recommend these books to anyone and everyone at this point, and definitely to read in order. I love this family and the way Ms. Lowell portrays them as scrapping, teasing, bullying, but most of all loving of each other. It was lovely to see her Archer character - being the hardest and toughest of them all (with the exception of THE DONOVAN), also be the one with the deepest heart so far. I suspected as much with the way he so fiercely tried to protect Honor and Kyle in Amber Beach and Jade Island. I so look forward to the next books for Faith, Justin, and Lawe, and hope that Ms. Lowell, might also consider writing the original before long as well (the story of THE DONOVAN). Again, Ms. Lowell, thank you, I have you on my favorite authors list - now and forever.
on August 15, 1999
I have read all of Elizabeth Lowell's novels and enjoy the Donovan Family stories most of all. Archer has always been the most intriguing and to see his weakness for a woman is amazing. From the descriptive way Ms. Lowell lures us into the humid tropics of Austrailia to the rain filled streets of Seattle gave me the feeling that I was indeed there in the room also looking for the elusive Black Pearl. And I would have done anything to find it from the way the pearl was described. I do not claim to have much knowledge in the jewelry industry but after reading stories of amber, jade, and now pearls I can have an idea of what really goes on out there behind the closed doors. And how it gets to the fine jewelry department. I reccomend this book to anyone that has a few hours to enjoy and spend some time wandering into romantic mysteries. This is a great book. I can't wait to read the other Donovan kids stories!
on June 16, 2008
This was my first Lowell. Pretty basic storyline, but the strength was found in the subject of pearls. That was interesting and different. The thing that had me grinding my teeth was the incessant use of the word 'ruthless'. Enough already. If I'm not going to be told precisely WHY and HOW the man is 'ruthless' then just shut up about it already. There were all of these mysterious hints about his ruthlessness but no specific detail. Just ruthless overuse of the word ruthless. The heroine can't understand his gentleness with an infant because he's so RUTHLESS!! She is confused by a tender caress because he is so RUTHLESS!!The overuse of a single word like that can kill a book for me. I hope my review doesn't seem too ruthless.
on November 28, 1999
Having loved Jade Island, I couldn't wait to read Pearl Cove. However, like the other books in the Donovan series, there is far too much detail about the gem in the title. The *excessive* detail about pearls distracts the reader and takes something away from the story as a whole.
What I really missed in this book was the relationship and verbal sparring between Archer and Kyle which was one of my favourite things about Jade Island.
The heroine didn't seem like the type to attract a man like Archer. I'm still not entirely sure why he fell in love with her (other than the fact that she looks good in a bikini and the sex is really hot).
Wait for this one to come out in paperback.
on March 20, 2000
Finally, a story about the edgy, cool, unflappable, sexy Archer we know from Amber Beach and Jade Island. And what a match he has in the fiesty, self-reliant, passionate Hannah. From Australia to Hong Kong and Seattle, the clever dialogue, volatile emotions, and ever-present danger sizzle and the reader cannot help but be drawn to the rambunctious, close-knit Donovan clan. Lowell's captivating characters and understanding of the complexities of the pearl trade combine to produce an alluring tale. Can't wait for the fourth book in the series (Midnight in Ruby Bayou) due out in June!
on June 28, 2000
I bought Pearl Cove as soon as it was released in hard cover as I so enjoyed the first 2 books in the series. The book is different from the first 2 books in that as the primary characters have a past history. It is similiar, however, in that it is of the same high standard of writing, research and character development. I find that her books portray characters more realistically than other romance writers. Not 100% realistically, of course, because part of the enjoyment of romance is the escape from reality! Other reviewers noted with dismay the details on the pearl industry. I enjoyed the details and how Ms. Lowell used them in her plot development. If you've enjoyed any of her books, you'll enjoy Pearl Cove.
on July 6, 2004
I was really looking forward to Archer's book but kind of felt let down. Hannah just didn't do it for me, I got tired of her whining that Archer was just like Len when the proof that he wasn't anything like him kept staring her in the face. Any sympathy that I had for her ended up lost as she continued her broken record chant, you're just like him. I was at the point where I wanted him to dump her and hook up with April Joy. I hope that with as EL has a book planned for April - it's about time she gets her own 'slick' and she'd be a true heroine that you could cheer for. I think Archer deserved better.
on July 10, 2015
I've been a fan of Ms. Lowell's writing for many years and have most of her books. Bought this as a replacement for my old, falling apart copy. Reread her books at least once, sometimes twice a year....Haven't read a 'clinker' yet! The Donovan series is wonderful reading and enjoyment!
on June 6, 2000
This book was incredible. It's like a sin not to read this book. This book is about the oldest brother in the Donovan clan. Archer Donovan, silent, dangerous, alluring. He's dragged into the past when his half brother's wife, Hannah, calls him, pleading for help...he runs to help her when he finds out that his half brother's dead. Now his brother's forbidden wife is not so forbidden anymore. Ten years ago, Archer fell in love with Hannah. But rules of propriety held him back from doing anything about it then... now his brother's murdered and Archer and Hannah team up to find the killer and The Black Trinity. The Black Trinity is a finely cultured three string black pearl necklace. With Archer's connections and Hannah's fine knowledge, they're bound to come up with something. This book is part three of the Donovan series. Amber Beach and Jade Island are just as good. Pearl Cove is full of sensual fire and incredible wit. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a satisfying good read.