5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice
Ok just received my jacket. Sizing, I'm 5'10" 185 and large fits great, not to tight so I can fit a mid weight under it and not to baggy to catch wind. I love the detachable sleeves makes a great 2 in 1. Over all great buy

Update 3/6/12
Published on March 3, 2012 by Jumpkid07

3.0 out of 5 stars sleeves too narrow
Everything about this jacket seems great except that the sleeves are way too tight on my forearms. I understand that as a cycling jacket the sleeves can't be billowing around in the wind, but these were practically skin tight on me, definitely no room to wear anything but the thinnest layer underneath.

Here are my measurements so you can decide if it will fit...
Published 14 months ago by Owen Schuh

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, March 3, 2012

Update 3/6/12
Just did my first ride in the jacket, 25 miles Temp was about 30 degrees and really windy. I must say the jacket preformed awesome. The wind blocker in the front really works and sleeves are long so they don't ride up and let the wrists get cold. Now on the sizing, I did have a little wind flapping in the shoulders but if it were any smaller it would be two tight in the chest and back with a base layer. Now in the summer with a heat gear base layer and the sleeves off it will probably be a little big, well not tight like a jersey, but on the other hand if your not a racer looking for the least wind resistance which I'm not it will be nice. I hope this review helps, I would recommend this jacket!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and well-constructed - a great value!, January 30, 2012
Bought this to replace an REI-branded jacket that had zipper issues. The PI Elite Barrier jacket is purposed differently than what I had but overall it is a better product for me. The material is lighter weight and stuffs easily, the downside is that it is not as windproof nor as waterproof. However I don't ride in the rain (on purpose)and I always dress in layers so the small amount of wind that gets through is not a huge issue. Unlike most of PI's garments, the jacket fits true to size. I wear an XL in their jersey's but a Large in this jacket fits better on me - snug without being too tight. The sleeves are long enough to not ride-up when I'm down in the drops. The material is soft and flexible and there is a sewn-in neck lining that is very soft and feels like brushed cotton but I'm sure it's a synthetic material. The waist band has an elastic cord with a gripper to snug it as much as you need and the back of the jacket has a vent that can be opened or closed (partially) with a Velcro tab to control the airflow through the jacket.

While I have not used it without the sleeves, I did take one sleeve off to see how easy or difficult the process was and I am pleased to write that the zipper meshes easily and the sleeves come off and go on with ease. Overall I am happy with it and would highly recommend it, especially for the price offered on Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars sleeves too narrow, June 5, 2013

Here are my measurements so you can decide if it will fit you. I'm 6'2'' with 40 inch chest, athletic build, so I tried both the medium and the large. The medium fit my torso ok (sleeves just long enough). Large was a little wide around the mid-section. The sleeves on both seemed to be equally narrow especially on the upper part of my forearm, making it difficult to bend completely at the elbow. Flexed the widest part of my forearm is 11 3/4 inches diameter.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Consistent With The Brand., November 10, 2012
Joshua T. Ebert "Ebes" (Bowling Green, OH USA) - See all my reviews
As with everything I've bought so far from Pearl iZUMi, the jacket has been great! It has definitely lived up to the brand quality, and I've loved it for fall and early winter riding. I don't know what all needs to be said about it, so here is a simple list of the things I love and the few things I dislike.

Pros (in no particular order):
- Ultra lightweight.
- Superior wind blocking.
- Very warm.
- Zippered pockets.
- Removable sleeves. (Can be worn as a vest.)
- Form-fitting.
- Very durable (despite its light, thin feel).

Cons:
- Slightly awkward sleeve removal/attachment.
- Rear pocket awkward to access.
- Neck zips up a hair too high.
- Pocket interiors are mesh, so sweat comes in contact with stored items (i.e. you need to "baggie" a cell phone).

3.0 out of 5 stars could be better, could be worse, September 8, 2012
Serious Black (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Barrier Convertible Jacket (Apparel)
This is a decent jacket. Compared to the Canari I was using, the fabric is nicer, with a softer feel and lighter weight. It is definitely not as wind-proof as I would like (an early morning downhill run in ~60 degrees should not be so chilling with such an "Elite" jacket), but it does okay most of the time with breaking the wind. I haven't ridden in any sort of rain so far, therefore I'm not sure how the water resistance performs yet.

Here is what I like about it:

It does breathe much better than the Canari I had, and so I don't get anywhere near as steamy and sweaty in this jacket when I ride hard or the ambient temp goes up a notch.

The pit vents are an open triangle of mesh, so they actually accomplish what they are meant to much better than just zips that simply open slits which never let enough air in to be useful. The fact that they are always open vented is not a problem in my view or experience, as extra air to my arm pits is always welcome when I ride, and when my arms are hanging at my sides the vents are not exposed anyway.

It is very compactable. You can stuff it down into its own rear pocket, or you can roll it up even tighter and smaller. The fabric is very thin, lightweight and supple, yet it seems much more durable than the Canari.

Here is what I don't like about it:

The rear lumbar pocket is all you get. Personally, this is not useful to me for storage, because I do not like carrying things at my lumbar area. I would like to have a chest pocket.

I also don't like that this jacket does not have hand (hip/waist) pockets. I don't like to wear full fingered gloves unless it is really, really necessary. But then there are times when it's chilly and I ride no-handed and just want to warm my hands a bit by having pockets to stick them in.

The sleeves are too long. I am 5'8", 158lbs and I ordered the Large. The torso fits as I had hoped...with enough extra room for a good under-layer, but not too big without one. The sleeves, however, are quite too long. So they leave a lot of extra material bunched up at my wrists. Not cool.

All in all, it's a very nicely made jacket of quality material. It boasts a few good details, while lacking others. However, I would definitely not pay $100 for this jacket. Amazon had my size and color preference for $55, and I wouldn't recommend spending much more on this jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for many different weather conditions, February 12, 2012
wakraft (Haddon Heights, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This has become my default riding jacket. The fabric is soft, quiet and comfortable, but does a relatively good job in blocking the wind. Construction quality is high. The bright color and reflectors help with visibility when dark. It is not insulated, but works best as a top layer. For mornings in the 30s, this over an under armour base and long sleeve jersey have been fine. When it falls into the 20s or teens, or when there is a lot of wind, I add a fleece layer. It is not the best for heavy rain. On such days GoreTex is the way to go. I like the flexibility of removable sleeves. Over all, I think it is a great riding jacket and a good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pearl Izumi Men's Elite, May 10, 2012
I bought it for my husband. He loves it. It is light but wind resistent. One can unzip sleeves when it is too hot. It is a very practical piece for sports. I highly recommend this jacket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Jacket, a little bit pricey for being the level of weather resistance, September 10, 2012
The jacket fits well. It is definitely a nice looking piece to have out on the road. Maybe it was just me but I thought I would be getting quite a bit more resistance against water and wind as the title of the product suggest than the actually jacket actually has.I wouldn't suggest using this as your only barrier in the rain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking jacket, March 25, 2012
Great looking jacket true to size, I'm 5'8" 153 lbs 32 waist ordered size medium fit me just perfect , as far as wind stopper it's so so I guess, wear this while ride to work this morning in 51 degree Fahrenheit, with the wool turtle neck inside and this jacket outside facing direct wind about 8 to 15 miles.
I can feel the chill along my arms and chest area , but my back are burning and sweat like crazy, granted I did wear a backpack don't know how much this contribute to the sweat on my back.
Over all I love the look of this jacket and highly recommend as style

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for running too, March 3, 2014
I use this for running not biking and it's great. It's comfortable and well cut. The zip off sleeves make it great for a lot of different weather. The wind and rain protection are both as good as advertised that is resistant and not proof. I'm 5'8" about 160 and the medium fits me nicely. One draw back if you order the jacket that looks like it's plaid, what you get is a jacket that's black with white chest flaps. I decided that I didn't care that much about that so didn't send it back.

Rate and Discover Movies