Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 12, 2012
I found on the PI web pages that my mountain bike shoe size (43 EU) would match a large in this cover. After reading reviews of this and the road shoe barrier cover and the note on the PI web page that you should go up one size for one of their X-Alp shoe, I chose an XL instead which is sized for shoes from 44.5 to 46 EU and very glad I did. The XL is a very snug fit over my Shimano SH-MT43-G MTB shoes, a large would not have fit. These took a bit of work to get on the shoe, and I found putting them over the toe and pulling towards the heal with the shoe off my foot until the toe was seated in position and the cross tie under the cover was in place at the instep of the shoe worked best. The velcro fastener at the back of the shoe appears to be very solid / appropriately aggressive to ensure it doesn't come lose while riding.

Overall this looks like a very nice cover that should extend my riding temperature range and time beyond what I found the PI Pro toe covers good for which is about 30 F with comfort and 25 F for an hour or less. I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet but will update later after a few hours in sub freezing temperatures.

If you want Pearl Izumi sizing charts for any of their products, go to their website find the product and click on "BUY" then choose the "SIZING" tab to get details. The sizes on Amazon are not really applicable to PI products but are instead pretty generic. On occasion the product description may include PI sizing but probably less than half of the time.

UPDATE: Upgraded my shoes from Mountain Bike to Shimano Road shoes (SHR-190 size 44.5 EU) and these fit road shoes very nicely too. Just make sure you pull the insole out and put some tape over the front vent in your road shoes if you have vents for Winter riding.
on January 25, 2012
The biggest weakness to every shoe cover I've tried has consistently been the method of binding the sole around the cleat openings. These shoe covers have finally deviated from that experience by implementing a design in the sole that is certainly the best I've ever tried, and probably also the strongest feature of these particular covers (they also have great form fitting shape and warmth).
The kevlar binding is extremely strong and the way they line the rim of the shoe, instead of coming down over the walking tread is perfect. Well worth the price imo, very happy with how they've executed this design.

I'd mention that the sizing seems to run slightly small (I've tried two different sizes), and the Velcro closure takes some getting used to.
on February 12, 2013
I'm a 30 mile a day bike commuter in rainy and cold Portland, OR, and purchased these to use though the winter to keep the rain out and the warmth in. So far I've ridden with them in cold, snow, rain, drizzle, and downpours. On really cold days, they do a moderate job of keeping the cold out, but at some point, they just can't and your toes end up a little numb. They are very good weather barriers, and I've only had one day when my socks ended up wet, and it is was a absolute torrential downpour.

The fit is a little awkward, especially the MTB ones. They have an odd jut out at the toe that I think could let water in from the bottom, but they are pretty easy to get on and off once you get used to it. The bottom is constructed of Kevlar, and seems to be holding up quite well, which I imagine is the weak spot in something like this. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get multiple seasons out of them before the bottom wears out from too much walking on them.

Overall a good product and it delivers on what it's supposed to do. When/if they wear out, I'll probably buy another pair.
on January 15, 2013
I'm a Portland OR cyclist. It gets pretty wet up here in the fall and winter. My shoes get wet, than my feet really start to get cold. I tried wool socks as well as the Pearl Izumi half shoe covers. They helped a bit, but on longer rides the water would eventual sock my feet and than my toes would start to get numb from the combo of wet and cold.

I got these PI shoe covers and they really did the trick. Road thru a drizziling rain followed by a hail storm on my first use of these things and they really worked great. Toes stayed warm and dry.

As other reviewers have already said, these things run kind of tight. I wear a size 13 Pearl Izumi Mt. Bike clipless shoe. I bought the XXL shoe covers and they fit pretty well -- snug -- but a pretty good fit.
on February 3, 2014
I followed the advice from many reviewers about looking up Pearl Izumi's website for sizes and bought one size greater than my shoe size. What I liked about it:

1. I bike in conditions where it drizzles very often and is moderately cold (high 30s to low 40s) in the winter. This cover does the job and has kept my feet dry and relatively warm.

2. I have tried this on a couple of different shoes and it was a good fit on both.

What could have been better:

1. The velcrove on the back doesn't make for a good, tight fit at the back. It feels like there is no way you can evenly snap the velcrove from the top to the heel.

2. Stretching the velcrove to get a tight fit created a small tear* in the cover in the ankle area. This hasn't affected anything yet, but it felt strange that it would tear so easily. I have learned to be more careful when tugging at the velcrove after that.

*This was where the customer service by HashTag Bikes was great. I sent them feedback about the tear and the response was immediate. They sent me a new one, no questions asked. I really appreciated the top-notch customer service and will seek to buy products from a concern clearly dedicated to providing excellent service. Five stars for service, four stars for the product.
on January 9, 2015
The only negative I have on this product is that the sizing runs small. According to the size chart, I should've been able to use the Large but couldn't get them to fit over any of my cycling shoes. Once I replaced them with the X-Large, they fit fine. The shoe covers are built well, look good, keep my feet comfortable, and have reflective materials on them. The coldest rides I've taken have been in the mid-30's. The shoe covers kept my feet comfy for the entire ride. If you're going to ride in temps below 30, I recommend adding toe warmers to your ensemble. Your feet will be comfy but your toes will still get cold. I use these covers for road and X-country MTB riding and have used them about six times this winter.
on October 28, 2015
I like these. Make no mistake, these aren't going to turn your mesh summer shoes into winter boots, but they are pretty nice. I wear them over my Serfas Niobiums, which have quite a bit of mesh on them. Along with some warm socks, they are pretty effective. I've used them below freezing and they kept my feet fairly comfortable. At warmer temps, they can really make the difference between frozen feet (and a shortened ride) and perfectly comfortable feet. I find that blocking the wind is nearly as important as the insulation. These do that pretty well, but I also sometimes put a sandwich or bread bag over my feet in my shoes, which really helps.
on November 5, 2015
These are good, but I don't know that I'd call them fantastic. Or maybe I was just riding in too cold of weather. When I was stationed in Germany I would ride nearly every day and some of the winter mornings would get down into the 20's. My ride was about an hour and by the time I was done my toes were getting pretty cold with these coupled with thermal socks. Granted, they're probably not designed for sub-freezing weather, but I'd like it if they were.
In warmer temperatures they worked great. Since cycling shoes aren't exactly known for their insulating properties these did a good job of covering up my feet a little better and keeping my feet comfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance to cold and I'd say these were pretty good in anything above freezing.
Bottom line is I would buy them again and would recommend them to anyone who chooses to ride in colder temperatures.
on December 2, 2014
I had high expectations on that winter mtb shoe cover. I wanted cold protection to let me do a 2-3 hours of biking from 5 to -5 Celcius, but after 1 hour at 0 celcius with no wind, I got cold feet!
This is more a spring/fall protection for water and 3 to 8 celcius I would say.

Like many other said, you must go one size larger, so for a shimano shoe size 47 I took the XXL which is about fine, except for the toe part that is too narrow and made only for performance mtb shoes. Even by pulling it strongly, I could not make it fit on the front shoe leaving a gap of about half an inch or more of space where the wind can get through !

All in all, it seems well made, too tight, but will not make it for real cold weather !
At least I got a good price from Amazon at 33.96$, but I am now searching for a real cycling winter boot !
on November 20, 2014
I wear a size 48 EU shoe and these XXL just barely fit. I can get them on OK, but barely get the velcro closure together on the back. However, they work as advertised, at least mostly. They definitely kept my feet warmer, though I haven't used them below 40 F yet. I did use them during some heavier rain and they did, and didn't, keep my feet dry. It was kind of odd since the outside of my shoe seemed dry, but my socks were definitely wet. I'm not sure how much of that was sweat or just the capilary action of the socks pulling water in from higher up my ankle, but they weren't soaking wet like when I don't wear them at all so I still think they server a benefit. However, being in the Seattle area, I don't always want to bother with these, so I just went and bought a more weather resistant shoe.