4.0 out of 5 stars Size up 1
Published on November 12, 2012 by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit ackward and Not for sub zero
I had high expectations on that winter mtb shoe cover. I wanted cold protection to let me do a 2-3 hours of biking from 5 to -5 Celcius, but after 1 hour at 0 celcius with no wind, I got cold feet!
This is more a spring/fall protection for water and 3 to 8 celcius I would say.

Like many other said, you must go one size larger, so for a shimano shoe size 47...
Published 15 days ago by Gaston

4.0 out of 5 stars Size up 1, November 12, 2012
I found on the PI web pages that my mountain bike shoe size (43 EU) would match a large in this cover. After reading reviews of this and the road shoe barrier cover and the note on the PI web page that you should go up one size for one of their X-Alp shoe, I chose an XL instead which is sized for shoes from 44.5 to 46 EU and very glad I did. The XL is a very snug fit over my Shimano SH-MT43-G MTB shoes, a large would not have fit. These took a bit of work to get on the shoe, and I found putting them over the toe and pulling towards the heal with the shoe off my foot until the toe was seated in position and the cross tie under the cover was in place at the instep of the shoe worked best. The velcro fastener at the back of the shoe appears to be very solid / appropriately aggressive to ensure it doesn't come lose while riding.

Overall this looks like a very nice cover that should extend my riding temperature range and time beyond what I found the PI Pro toe covers good for which is about 30 F with comfort and 25 F for an hour or less. I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet but will update later after a few hours in sub freezing temperatures.

If you want Pearl Izumi sizing charts for any of their products, go to their website find the product and click on "BUY" then choose the "SIZING" tab to get details. The sizes on Amazon are not really applicable to PI products but are instead pretty generic. On occasion the product description may include PI sizing but probably less than half of the time.

UPDATE: Upgraded my shoes from Mountain Bike to Shimano Road shoes (SHR-190 size 44.5 EU) and these fit road shoes very nicely too. Just make sure you pull the insole out and put some tape over the front vent in your road shoes if you have vents for Winter riding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior shoe covers, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Mtb Shoe Cover (Apparel)
The biggest weakness to every shoe cover I've tried has consistently been the method of binding the sole around the cleat openings. These shoe covers have finally deviated from that experience by implementing a design in the sole that is certainly the best I've ever tried, and probably also the strongest feature of these particular covers (they also have great form fitting shape and warmth).
The kevlar binding is extremely strong and the way they line the rim of the shoe, instead of coming down over the walking tread is perfect. Well worth the price imo, very happy with how they've executed this design.

I'd mention that the sizing seems to run slightly small (I've tried two different sizes), and the Velcro closure takes some getting used to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good weather barrier and some warmth, February 12, 2013
I'm a 30 mile a day bike commuter in rainy and cold Portland, OR, and purchased these to use though the winter to keep the rain out and the warmth in. So far I've ridden with them in cold, snow, rain, drizzle, and downpours. On really cold days, they do a moderate job of keeping the cold out, but at some point, they just can't and your toes end up a little numb. They are very good weather barriers, and I've only had one day when my socks ended up wet, and it is was a absolute torrential downpour.

The fit is a little awkward, especially the MTB ones. They have an odd jut out at the toe that I think could let water in from the bottom, but they are pretty easy to get on and off once you get used to it. The bottom is constructed of Kevlar, and seems to be holding up quite well, which I imagine is the weak spot in something like this. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get multiple seasons out of them before the bottom wears out from too much walking on them.

Overall a good product and it delivers on what it's supposed to do. When/if they wear out, I'll probably buy another pair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shoe cover, great customer service from HashTag Bikes, February 3, 2014
I followed the advice from many reviewers about looking up Pearl Izumi's website for sizes and bought one size greater than my shoe size. What I liked about it:

1. I bike in conditions where it drizzles very often and is moderately cold (high 30s to low 40s) in the winter. This cover does the job and has kept my feet dry and relatively warm.

2. I have tried this on a couple of different shoes and it was a good fit on both.

What could have been better:

1. The velcrove on the back doesn't make for a good, tight fit at the back. It feels like there is no way you can evenly snap the velcrove from the top to the heel.

2. Stretching the velcrove to get a tight fit created a small tear* in the cover in the ankle area. This hasn't affected anything yet, but it felt strange that it would tear so easily. I have learned to be more careful when tugging at the velcrove after that.

*This was where the customer service by HashTag Bikes was great. I sent them feedback about the tear and the response was immediate. They sent me a new one, no questions asked. I really appreciated the top-notch customer service and will seek to buy products from a concern clearly dedicated to providing excellent service. Five stars for service, four stars for the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps my feet warm and dry, January 15, 2013
I'm a Portland OR cyclist. It gets pretty wet up here in the fall and winter. My shoes get wet, than my feet really start to get cold. I tried wool socks as well as the Pearl Izumi half shoe covers. They helped a bit, but on longer rides the water would eventual sock my feet and than my toes would start to get numb from the combo of wet and cold.

I got these PI shoe covers and they really did the trick. Road thru a drizziling rain followed by a hail storm on my first use of these things and they really worked great. Toes stayed warm and dry.

As other reviewers have already said, these things run kind of tight. I wear a size 13 Pearl Izumi Mt. Bike clipless shoe. I bought the XXL shoe covers and they fit pretty well -- snug -- but a pretty good fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems well made, runs small., January 18, 2013
Tan (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is not a full review. Mainly wanted to provide my experience with the sizing. I wear a size 41 mtb shoe so that's pretty small, but going by the other reviews I tried the Large size--and it is perfect. The only other size up is an XL, which would probably fit size 10 or 11 US. You people with larger feet may be out of luck.

When I wrap the two back panels together, there is still quite a lot of velcro that shows. I can get complete overlap if I make an effort to stretch out both sides. The velcro band is three inches wide so that should be enough for the Large size to accommodate shoe sizes from 40-43.

----
Addition: I've worn these for about 3 weeks for my commute. I walk in them very minimally, only a couple hundred feet to get to the garage. Already the so-called kevlar bottom has started to fray and fall apart. Seems to be made of cheese cloth, not kevlar. There is still a good amount of tension on the upper part of the cover to keep it attached to the shoe so I am not too alarmed but I'm not impressed with the longevity of the bottom material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps your feet toasty, April 9, 2013
I have worn these riding all winter with summer biking shoes and thermal socks. They have kept my feet warm down to 20F but below that they still get a little chilly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought a pair for road biking..., March 9, 2013
I am a runner who just started cycling to train for duathlons/triathlons etc. I live in New England and I started riding in weather temps ranging from 28-32f so I was wearing thermal socks with Saran wrap around my feet as a wind barrier (I know... Sounds pretty rookie, I'm sure).

So I bought the elite barrier... I've ridden in temps ranging from low 30s to mid 40s for an hour to two hour rides. My feet feel great. They stay dry and warm. End of story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MTB covers, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Mtb Shoe Cover (Apparel)
Fit tight, so pay attention to sizing. Best for the money. I rode the Snake TT and these held up great. Even after the hike up the "wall" the bottoms were in great condition. My old Louis Garnea's were trashed after the same climb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasty Warm, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Mtb Shoe Cover (Apparel)
Does the job. Keeps the feet very warm. Has been tested on bitterly cold days. Does not interfere with engaging MTB shoes into clipless pedals.

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Mtb Shoe Cover,Black,X-Large