4.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable but could be more durable
Published on May 7, 2012 by J. E. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice shorts but...
Comfortable, especially on long rides, but the main flaw with this product (as mentioned by others) is durability. After probably about 10 to 20 rides I've worn through the shorts on one side. I have less expensive shorts that have lasted much longer.
Published on October 18, 2012 by Paul C

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable but could be more durable, May 7, 2012
J. E. Brown (Philadelphia, PA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Inrcool Short (Sports Apparel)
These shorts feature generous padding, flat seams, mesh panels, and sun reflecting fabric. They are very comfortable and the reflective fabric really works to keep solar heat at bay. I love the flat bands and sticky finished edges on the legs. These work to keep the shorts from riding up while preventing chafing. After thousands of miles they are still comfortable. While more durable than some shorts they are not as durable as I would like them to be. Both of my pairs developed wear spots along the seams of the chamois. I had the stitching reinforced and have managed to get over 3K miles out of two pairs in rotation. They run large so I recommend buying a size smaller than you usually would. Despite the wear issue, I decided to buy a third pair. They are that comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, March 3, 2013
These shorts have awesome padding, not to much to cause chaffing( but Chamois cream is highly recommended for long rides if your new to the sport), has flat seems and vents very well, shorts do not ride up what so ever. I'm 5'11 weight 174lbs medium fits nice and snug. Shorts are very helpful during the short rides and even long rides.So if you are debating whether or not to buy these shorts the answer is yes!! price tag on these shorts are $110 and you get them for $70ish. if u click on my profile name "New glider" go to pics and you can see 3 pics of the Chamois for your pleasure. so far i have put over 300 miles on the shorts and they do just as good if not better than the high dollar shorts..02.. also my waist size is 32 fyi

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of sizing, December 11, 2012
Nakuru (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
I am 6'2" 220lbs. I wear jeans in size 36 in Levis - 38 in your regular off the rack suit pants (36 too tight).

I have spent more time than I should have in the couch and I love food, just to say I'm not exactly in the best shape right now (which is why I'm gearing up to get off the couch and on the bike...)

Why am I giving you this info... well, I would've expected XL to fit right (it does in Sugoi). In Italian bibs, I'm probably a triple X. But in these, XL is HUGE. So big in fact that they were nearly loose around the thighs (and I have strong thighs - one of my better attributes ;-) )
I sent back the XL and got them in Large. They fit much better, but to be honest with you, if I drop down to my goal, ie loose about 35lbs, i.e. 190lbs, and a 34 waist, they'll probably be on the large side.

And it's not that I like my bibs to be super tight, but they shouldn't 'flap' here and there if you know what I mean.

So you're warned... Pearl Izumi must've updated their sizing to make us feel better about our bodies I suppose, since I'll probably be ready for a size Medium in 6 months - which is kind'a weird if you think about it. I wonder what a 5'6 guy 160lbs would fit into - do they have negative sizes at PI????

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shorts, June 13, 2012
These are the most comfortable shorts I've ever owned. They have just the right amount of padding in all the right places. The silicon leg grippers do a good job holding the shorts in place. They stay cool and dry as advertised. I wore these on a 101 mile ride and had no numbness or chafing during the entire ride and only very minor soreness for one day after the ride. I recommend these shorts to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love these Pearl Izumi's, February 18, 2012
Wore these every day of my 480 mile ride this past summer (RAGBRAI). VERY comfortable, washed up easily and dried out before each days ride. It, literally, would have been a pain in the butt not to have these riding shorts. I just wish I would have purchased another set. Only complaint, the rubber logos wore away from the pant so now they appear to be generic. My butt doesn't care. Great value as compare to bike shop purchase and selection. Sizing was accurate for ordering online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fit and pad position, February 24, 2013
This is the third PI short I've tried and is my favorite! The pad is positioned nicely so it's not riding up through the front of the short. The panel design and materials make the short extremely comfortable. I typically order Large in all PI because of the feedback saying the line runs one size small. I'm 5'11" and 175. While these shorts fit nicely, I may have gotten into a Medium with no issues. Great short!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good... Advanced Clothing, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Inrcool Short (Sports Apparel)
These are quite good. Comfortable, nice grippy legs, and I like the length (on the long side). I would assume that (like all cycling objects) since these are "advanced" shorts, they will not last as long as my cheaper pairs, but heck, I'm worth it. I would say they are size accurate and certainly line up with the rest of the Izumi Elite sizing: I'm (currently) a 37 in pants and these shorts are very comfortable, but lets just say I think they'd also fit riders who wore 36 or 35 but probably not those wearing 34.

The InRCool feature is very nice. What it amounts to is a very very fine micro mesh material between the standard black lycra and your skin. The result? It create a standoff between the lycra and your legs, making air flow easier and generally eliminating that sticky lycra feel that comes with things soaked in sweat. Wore them today in 82 degree weather and I can say that they were shockingly comfortable and cool the whole time.

Recommended.

I will say that I see a fair number of reviews here from people who are buying this as their first pair of cycling shorts. I would say you are probably over-buying. I'd recommend the Pearl iZUMi Men's Attack Cycling Short as a great 8-panel short for a first pair: the Attack is still massive overkill for a new rider, but a very nice product at a much lower price than these InRCool shorts.

For reference, PI has three levels of Product: Select, Elite, and P.R.O.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bike shorts, August 31, 2011
J. Yun (Bothell, WA) - See all my reviews
These PI Elite In-R-Cool bike shorts are very comfortable. They breathe well, have good muscle support, and the chamois is perfectly balanced between cushioning, stretch, and minimal design. I have 3 other pairs of bike shorts from different brands, and these PI's are probably the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great return policy, June 29, 2013
I've had two pair of these cycle shorts before so I know it's a good product. Unfortunately, I had to return this pair because it was too tight. I've always gotten size small in the past, but this pair was very tight so I had to return it. The Amazon return policy was exceptional. I got the return package to a UPS drop box by 10 am and Amazon credited my account early the next day. I know they could not have gotten the package yet, so I guess they saw it was being shipped back and went ahead and refunded the purchase. What other company would do this?

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, February 10, 2013
I replaced my two pair of Izumi Select shorts with two of the Elite Inrcool. As I've somewhat expensively learned about cycling apparel over the year or so since I returned to the sport, just because a lot of people buy an item, and like it, doesn't mean they have your priorities. Since I can afford to buy the Izumi Elite or Pro line, in future I will. They are better constructed and better fitting than Izumi entry-level gear. These shorts (I bought the Elite tights too) have a good feel and generous, without being bulky, seat padding. Worth paying more for.

Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Inrcool Short