4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made gloves, but they don't prevent numb hands.
Published on April 18, 2011 by verygooddog

2.0 out of 5 stars They're doing it wrong!
Alright, this is what's up. So I needed to replace a pair of "normal" P.I. Select gloves, and after reading already iffy reviews for this glove I decided to take a small risk getting them. Thinking if I pay more for a great glove then it should be better, right? %^@# NO! I will explain my displeasure with this glove for the following reasons.

(1) Poor...
Published on June 12, 2012 by E. Lavan

2.0 out of 5 stars They're doing it wrong!, June 12, 2012

(1) Poor QC/build quality: Despite their awesome looks I had to mend one of the gloves after just one ride. The stitching in the index finger of the left glove started unraveling. My expert mending skills help squelch this menace. Next!

(2) Select Gel vs. Select?: I know this is what everyone wants to know, so I will simply spit it out. THE SELECTS ARE BETTER (and cheaper btw)! The gel does not afford you any more comfort as PI leads you to believe. It is a thinner material, and since it is also made of a denser cushioning material, I found it to be less shock absorbing than the Select glove's foam cushioning. There is just no way I will consider these gloves to be more effective at cushioning and shock absorbing than their cheaper and equally effective brethren. It's a scam IMHO.

(3) Smell factor: This alone should be the final nail in the coffin for these gloves. They stink! Brand new out of the bag they stink. After one ride they stink. Hey, guess what? After a week of riding daily to school they stink even worse! In class I could smell them through the zippered compartment of my backpack. Think of sweaty gym socks/underwear you forgot to take out of your gym bag. The smell initially is of the gel material, and when mixed with sweat and grime, creates a decadent mix of nauseating odors that play in your nostrils for days. I would also like to mention, your hands will smell like this until you wash them.

I will probably never use the Select Gels again except as an emergency back-up pair to my emergency back-up pair, and have since purchased another pair of the Selects as my go-to. I am currently a happy camper with the Selects and hope you enjoyed this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars where is the select Gel?, April 18, 2011
I purchased these gloves based on the description thinking they would provide a soft gel pad between me and the bike. I suffer from numb tingling hands from pressure on the palm nerves.
First off the gloves run very small. I bought the large and I am a small guy. They fit very snug but they are new and may stretch.
They gel padding is very thin and I hardly know they are there. I have only used gloves with conventional padding and found them to be thicker with more cushion than these.
If you are looking for a 'Cushion' for your palms then these are not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars An exercise in mediocrity, July 6, 2011
I bought a pair of these gloves (the orange ones) just because I thought they looked nice. Well, unfortunately the padding is only so-so, they have a nasty plastic smell that has remained for months, and the large white areas turned a nasty brown/gray within only a couple of rides due to minimal road grime (and this was in summer 2011).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made gloves, but they don't prevent numb hands., April 18, 2011
The main reason I bought the Pearl Isumi Select Gel gloves was based on reviews that said that gel-padded gloves would eliminate or reduce hand numbness. I'm a recreational rider, my bike is a straight bar hybrid and my typcal ride is 15 - 25 miles. After about 30 minutes into a ride, my hands begin to get numb, and I move them to alternative positions (my bike has bar ends) to restore the feeling. This works, but I was hoping that the gloves would reduce the problem, but they do not. I've used them on 3 rides of about 20 miles each, and it doesn't seem that they helped with the numbness at all. There are other reasons to wear gloves (sun block, palm protection in a crash, better grip on the bars), but I can't say that they helped with numbness.

The gloves themselves are well made. I particularly appreciate the EasyOff removal tab on the ring finger; it does make the glove removal process easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Size Runs Small - order next one up, good padding, Cool, May 25, 2012
Louis de Geofroy (Martha's Vineyard) - See all my reviews
Every other pair of gloves I have ever owned were a large. When I got my first pair of these I squeezed into them and felt like OJ Simpson, very little blood got to my fingertips. Amazon kindly replaced them (I think free shipping) and the XLs fit... well... like a glove (sorry). Road test report: Well padded in the right places, comfortable, cool.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THESE GLOVES, September 10, 2011
ollie (Andover, MA USA) - See all my reviews
These are the worst set of Pearl Izumi gloves I have ever purchased. Even though they are call 'Select Gel', it turns out that PI makes multiple styles of gloves called 'select gel'. This model is 14141103, and is very uncomfortable and poorly made. It creates pressure points in multiple places, particularly between the thumb and index finger. PI makes another 'select gel' glove, model 8588, which is *much* more comfortable, and much better made. See [...]
Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Gel Gloves, August 11, 2011
- No detectable gel in the gloves despite the title
- Padding is basic
+ Enough coverage for general protection from a fall or brush (excluding the finger ends/knuckles)
+ Mostly breathable
+ Soft, cloth-like section near the thumb for wiping sweat
+ Gets the grip I need on my grips and untaped bar ends
+ Aesthetics

Note: They run rather small. Buy 1 size up if you're on the low to mid-end of a common size spectrum (medium gloves fit loose or fit okay), 2 sizes up if you tend to experience/prefer a snug fit on a common size.

I bought these for the primary purpose of grasping bicycle grips and bar ends which get slippery on long rides as sweat accumulates. They work perfect for that purpose and they look good. They also confer some protection in the event of a fall or a close encounter with low trail-side brush.

These gloves are not suitable for hand numbness and have no trace of gel. I don't blame the gloves for the numbness issue since flared/platformed hand grips (like Ergons or mtb bar-ends) are more suitable for that purpose. However, advertising the gloves as "gel" is a stretch to say the least.

I secured my intended use out of them and they look good (3 stars). I docked the gloves 1 star due to the misleading gel title. I docked another star for the consequential overpriced nature of otherwise basic cycling gloves. Good? Yes. Great? No.

2.0 out of 5 stars watch out on the sizing!, June 9, 2012
I typically wear size "L" and even given that most mike apparel is designed to fit snugly, I could not even begin to get into these gloves. I gave them to friend who wears medium or small in everything (he weighs about 145 dripping wet) and he couldn't get into them. Beisdes that they were a lighter material than I expected, seemed a little on the flimsy side but that 's probably not fair to judge them since I didn't really get to use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then most others., September 14, 2011
I own about five different brands of gloves and believe these gloves have great features that make it the top of the heap. I like the padding in the heal of the hand which is not too much nor to little. I bought two different pair of gloves of Amazon that were rated very high, and these gloves are designed with ruggedness and articulation more than the other... I usually don't like velcro under the wrist, due to involuntary contact with skin, but the design on this pair never has contact with my skin.
I would highly suggest this pair of gloves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove (pun intended), December 13, 2012
These have come to be one of the best gloves I own. Keep my hands cool and gives me the grip necessary for those long rides.

Pearl Izumi Select Gel Glove,Coffee,Medium