5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good, may work for moderate winter rides.
Published on December 20, 2010 by JR

3.0 out of 5 stars jacket
its a really nice jacket, however it is cut to small, i couldnt wear it i sold it to a friend i ride with, i would have needed a 4x,
Published 10 months ago by michael lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good, may work for moderate winter rides., December 20, 2010
Although not rated as a "winter jacket", with additional layering I found it quit acceptable. With a layer of: a short sleeve base layer shirt, a PI Transfer Zip Neck Long Sleeve Base layer, and some bibs I road just a bit below my preferred comfortable level (meaning I was cooler than I like, but not cold) in 18 degree weather, 50 min ride. FIT- is great, has a nice conformed fit but not body hugging, sleeves are nice and long. The Real Red color is nice for winter because it stands out against the snowy back ground and I wanted a reason to break the ninja dress code; The Real Red does not match up to other reds very well (if you even care about color coordination, some ppl do), looks great with black of course. Seems to vent well, with execpetion of pockets (read on). Dislikes, only one! The front pocket is a nice place for a phone, however, moisture from perspiration gets in both the front and back pockets, I suggest bagging your phone prior to riding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Softshell, November 10, 2011
I just returned from my first ride with this jacket on an overcast and gusty, 44 degree ride. The windchill was simply cold. Under the jacket I wore a long-sleeve thermal base layer.

The cut of this jacket is athletic, which means that if you have any extra bulk on you or bulk in odd places, it probably won't fit quite right. However, if you can where fitted garments, the Elite Softshell will do you right. I'm 5'11" and weigh in at 155lbs. Not sure about arm length, but the sleeves are plenty long. I found the medium to be a nearly perfect fit. Snug at the waist, tapered up the torso and just loose enough in the arms to be comfortable. Absolutely no issues wearing a base layer. In fact, I could easily have worn something thicker.

Contrary to other opinions, I'd say if you generally wear a medium, buy the medium.

On the ride, my torso stayed warm the entire ride. It's far more breathable than my shell, but I still managed to sweat up a storm. I found that the only part of my body that was consistently chilly was my arms - not due to wind. The jacket is wind-proof. However, the material is thin enough that despite the micro fleece liner, you can feel the chill. You won't be cold, just chilly (not a bad thing).

Will it be comfortable under 30 / 20 degrees? I'll let you know. Overall, I loved riding in the Elite Softshell.

Highly recommended: Excellent build quality, looks great and is much cheaper than most other brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Enough by itself down to 50 degrees., November 23, 2011
I like Pearl Izumi products, even though they run a little small for their sizes. This Jacket is soft inside, has extra long arms and bottom back so everything is covered when you are stretched out over the bike. I have a 44" chest, so the large is a little snug. Therefore, I use this as a base layer if I'm biking in weather that's below 50 deg F. Check the sizing chart. If you are borderline, choose the larger size.
The zippered breast pocket is handy so you can hear your phone ring, or store tissues for cold weather runny nose (you can't hobo blow in a line of riders). The arms have reflective strips, which is a help in the dim and dark days of winter. The full length zipper is a must for me. I get overheated on long climbs, and zipping down helps cool my core.
The material wicks moisture and dries quickly -- if the jacket is not used as an underlayer. I chose black with red trim rather than the screaming red with black trim. Either way -- good jacket for bike enthuthiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cycling jacket, February 9, 2014
This jacket came in today just as the weather dropped into the lows 50s with some light drizzle. Having checked the Pearl Izumi website for sizing I ordered a medium jacket for my 5"11, 160lb frame, which turned out to have a nice fit. It's form fitting enough to look good and keep from billowing in the wind but not so tight as to be embarrassing.

I took the jacket out for a 25 mile ride (with a wool t-shirt underneath) and found that it makes a lot of good compromises that make it incredibly versatile. While I felt chilly for 20 or so minutes I warmed up and it felt perfect on the flats. After heading north I went into a climb for about 5 miles and definitely felt the heat and sweat build up, but after unzipping it down the middle and taking off my long-fingered gloves I was able to vent all the heat. Heading back I hit a nice 25mph for a few miles downhill and was glad that I could quickly zip it back up and let it absorb the increased chill.

Aesthetically I find that the blue/black look and fit is subtle enough that I could use this jacket in a variety of situations--such as hiking with my friends, without calling too much attention to myself.

Overall I'm very pleased with this jacket and plan on using it this summer for a tour down the Pacific Coast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and non-bulky, June 17, 2013
Living in Chicago gives you plenty of chilly rides. I wanted a thermal windproof shell that didn't poof and flap with the wind. This jacket was the ticket. It's form fitting, windproof, breathable, and warm enough so I can ride in the 20's. The master stroke is the outer breast pocket which makes it convenient to store keys or a gym pass. I'll also add that It looks cool! I look faster than I really am!

4.0 out of 5 stars Small But Good, January 19, 2012
I ordered my regular size (medium) of this jacket. And technically it fits... but it's extremely tight. At first, I thought this was a really bad thing, but I'm thinking now it might just be how this jacket is supposed to fit. It makes sense to be more aerodynamic. (and to make less contact with warmth-stealing wind) I just accepted the tightness and started wearing thermal layers underneath. It's next to impossible to get a hoodie or anything thick under this thing.

The material is rather thin... and when the temp dips below 32F, you really can't just use it alone to help keep you warm. It does a good job of shielding you from wind, but if the surrounding air is too cold you'll definitely need to have a thick base layer underneath. Just don't overdo it, or you'll be drenched in sweat when you arrive at your destination.

Also, as others have said, it bothers me a little how short the front of this jacket is. It comes down to my belt, and my t-shirts always stick out the bottom. (I tuck them in) The shortness doesn't really affect the warmth though, because you'll be covered just fine once you're bending over on your bike.

My winter gear consists of these things: this jacket, Terra Plana Helix base layers (top and bottom), tube socks to tuck base layer into, skull cap, ski goggles (the best thing ever for keeping cold air out of your eyes), a Buff headwear piece wrapped into a balaclava, and some nice thick gloves. (and of course jeans, t-shirt, and a helmet)

4.0 out of 5 stars high tech, February 15, 2014
An effort trying to keep this short and sweet with such a great product. When I shook it out of the packaging it felt like scuba suit material. I was worried about that, as I didn't want to sweat in a bag. But how they used some scuba like material and made it into proper biking gear, was very high tech. Good armpit vents to keep you from sweating, nice flexible material down the inside of the arms so it breathes again and stretches to fit snug, not binding; chest pocket is a must, which this has, on all bike shirts and jackets, as we all now carry cellphones; great extra arm length that cuffs my gloves without having to wrestle with them to fit over or under them.

It would be a five star product if; it had pockets down below as well as having the chest pocket. Can never have enough. The tail could have been a bit longer and the back of neck a bit higher, to keep out the cold. Also the armpit vents could have been a bit smaller, as you can feel initially the chill of headwinds a bit much.

That said, I am 6 feet tall, 210, footballer sized, and the X-large fit great, snug but in a good way. I usually ride three to seven days a week if I can. I wore this product in the coldest weather, purposely, minus 8 celsius. Felt like I never left the indoors. I had on a no name long sleeved undershirt and a compression long sleeve underneath, wore a balaclava and gloves over my biking gloves, that's it.

I'd recommend it to anyone out in the windy cold, and best with some Pearl Izumi bib tights. Fits like a good suit.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT JACKET, December 19, 2013
This is a great jacket. love the napoleon pocket. Plenty of room for phone and love the earbud wire pass thru.
pocket on the back is bot too bad. Easily fits mini pouch with tool lever, air cartridge and a tube. can fit more just not easily/ need to rearrange a bit if more is going in there so don't plan on carrying too much junk in the trunk. Love the zipper for snow days and keeps mud out when riding on trails. Tough to get the glasses in there while i am riding. fit is good I got the XL and I am 5'7 at 190 a bit roomy in the midsection but snug in the upper chest and arms. Plus quite lengthy. still it works for cold days and covers up wrists. Went a touch larger so i could layer but probably don't need to. I wear it with nothing but a base layer on 15 degree F days and it keeps me warm no problem. I will say the outer shell material is not as stretchy as some other brands and it took a few rides to get used to it, but thats ok i am looking for wind block and warmth first and it does the job very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Jacket for Riding, January 15, 2014
This jacket is perfect for winter riding. If anything it can get too warm while riding, especially with a good base layer. By itself, with only a t-shirt underneath, it's good down to about 30 degrees before the wind starts coming through making things a little chilly. Not terrible though if you're riding. With a base layer under the jacket, provided you have good gloves and hat/helmet, I can't see a time when it would be too cold to wear this jacket while cycling. If conditions were too extreme for this jacket you probably shouldn't be out riding a bicycle anyway. Only downside is that the white color gets dirty quickly but that's my fault for not having full fenders and for buying a white jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most warm and compact - perfect for hiking and biking, January 6, 2014
Tried out the Pearl Izumi jacket on Top of Mt. Baldy, CA, and it did exactly what it claims to do. When I reached the top, the temp was in mid-30s F (around 2 C), and a good windchill too. My hands were freezing in a few seconds and had to put on gloves. But this jacket - with just a thin half-sleeve t-shirt underneath - kept me warm. And it packed up in 1/3 of my small backpack. Totally awesome piece of engineering.