5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good, may work for moderate winter rides.
Published on December 20, 2010 by JR

3.0 out of 5 stars jacket
its a really nice jacket, however it is cut to small, i couldnt wear it i sold it to a friend i ride with, i would have needed a 4x,
Published 6 months ago by michael lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good, may work for moderate winter rides., December 20, 2010
Although not rated as a "winter jacket", with additional layering I found it quit acceptable. With a layer of: a short sleeve base layer shirt, a PI Transfer Zip Neck Long Sleeve Base layer, and some bibs I road just a bit below my preferred comfortable level (meaning I was cooler than I like, but not cold) in 18 degree weather, 50 min ride. FIT- is great, has a nice conformed fit but not body hugging, sleeves are nice and long. The Real Red color is nice for winter because it stands out against the snowy back ground and I wanted a reason to break the ninja dress code; The Real Red does not match up to other reds very well (if you even care about color coordination, some ppl do), looks great with black of course. Seems to vent well, with execpetion of pockets (read on). Dislikes, only one! The front pocket is a nice place for a phone, however, moisture from perspiration gets in both the front and back pockets, I suggest bagging your phone prior to riding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Softshell, November 10, 2011
I just returned from my first ride with this jacket on an overcast and gusty, 44 degree ride. The windchill was simply cold. Under the jacket I wore a long-sleeve thermal base layer.

The cut of this jacket is athletic, which means that if you have any extra bulk on you or bulk in odd places, it probably won't fit quite right. However, if you can where fitted garments, the Elite Softshell will do you right. I'm 5'11" and weigh in at 155lbs. Not sure about arm length, but the sleeves are plenty long. I found the medium to be a nearly perfect fit. Snug at the waist, tapered up the torso and just loose enough in the arms to be comfortable. Absolutely no issues wearing a base layer. In fact, I could easily have worn something thicker.

Contrary to other opinions, I'd say if you generally wear a medium, buy the medium.

On the ride, my torso stayed warm the entire ride. It's far more breathable than my shell, but I still managed to sweat up a storm. I found that the only part of my body that was consistently chilly was my arms - not due to wind. The jacket is wind-proof. However, the material is thin enough that despite the micro fleece liner, you can feel the chill. You won't be cold, just chilly (not a bad thing).

Will it be comfortable under 30 / 20 degrees? I'll let you know. Overall, I loved riding in the Elite Softshell.

Highly recommended: Excellent build quality, looks great and is much cheaper than most other brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Enough by itself down to 50 degrees., November 23, 2011
I like Pearl Izumi products, even though they run a little small for their sizes. This Jacket is soft inside, has extra long arms and bottom back so everything is covered when you are stretched out over the bike. I have a 44" chest, so the large is a little snug. Therefore, I use this as a base layer if I'm biking in weather that's below 50 deg F. Check the sizing chart. If you are borderline, choose the larger size.
The zippered breast pocket is handy so you can hear your phone ring, or store tissues for cold weather runny nose (you can't hobo blow in a line of riders). The arms have reflective strips, which is a help in the dim and dark days of winter. The full length zipper is a must for me. I get overheated on long climbs, and zipping down helps cool my core.
The material wicks moisture and dries quickly -- if the jacket is not used as an underlayer. I chose black with red trim rather than the screaming red with black trim. Either way -- good jacket for bike enthuthiasts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small But Good, January 19, 2012
I ordered my regular size (medium) of this jacket. And technically it fits... but it's extremely tight. At first, I thought this was a really bad thing, but I'm thinking now it might just be how this jacket is supposed to fit. It makes sense to be more aerodynamic. (and to make less contact with warmth-stealing wind) I just accepted the tightness and started wearing thermal layers underneath. It's next to impossible to get a hoodie or anything thick under this thing.

The material is rather thin... and when the temp dips below 32F, you really can't just use it alone to help keep you warm. It does a good job of shielding you from wind, but if the surrounding air is too cold you'll definitely need to have a thick base layer underneath. Just don't overdo it, or you'll be drenched in sweat when you arrive at your destination.

Also, as others have said, it bothers me a little how short the front of this jacket is. It comes down to my belt, and my t-shirts always stick out the bottom. (I tuck them in) The shortness doesn't really affect the warmth though, because you'll be covered just fine once you're bending over on your bike.

My winter gear consists of these things: this jacket, Terra Plana Helix base layers (top and bottom), tube socks to tuck base layer into, skull cap, ski goggles (the best thing ever for keeping cold air out of your eyes), a Buff headwear piece wrapped into a balaclava, and some nice thick gloves. (and of course jeans, t-shirt, and a helmet)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cycling jacket, February 9, 2014
This jacket came in today just as the weather dropped into the lows 50s with some light drizzle. Having checked the Pearl Izumi website for sizing I ordered a medium jacket for my 5"11, 160lb frame, which turned out to have a nice fit. It's form fitting enough to look good and keep from billowing in the wind but not so tight as to be embarrassing.

I took the jacket out for a 25 mile ride (with a wool t-shirt underneath) and found that it makes a lot of good compromises that make it incredibly versatile. While I felt chilly for 20 or so minutes I warmed up and it felt perfect on the flats. After heading north I went into a climb for about 5 miles and definitely felt the heat and sweat build up, but after unzipping it down the middle and taking off my long-fingered gloves I was able to vent all the heat. Heading back I hit a nice 25mph for a few miles downhill and was glad that I could quickly zip it back up and let it absorb the increased chill.

Aesthetically I find that the blue/black look and fit is subtle enough that I could use this jacket in a variety of situations--such as hiking with my friends, without calling too much attention to myself.

Overall I'm very pleased with this jacket and plan on using it this summer for a tour down the Pacific Coast.

4.0 out of 5 stars love pearl izumi, December 15, 2013
James Pringle (APO, AP United States) - See all my reviews
love the jacket but based on reviews and online research i ordered the medium...a little too small. i'm 5'10 and 172lbs and it's a little too tight in the mid-section. not sure how a large would fit but thinking a large might be better. everything else is fine. great product just watch the sizing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Home run, December 10, 2013
I used this jacket to mountain bike ride on the coldest day of the year...in Los Angeles. It was in the high 40's. I layered with a t shirt and a long sleeve compression shirt. It was perfect. I'm 5'11" and 185 lbs and a large fit true. Unzipped it vents well and zipped it stays warm. I'm not sure I would want to use the jacket in freezing weather. The wind protection was good but not perfect.

The finish and quality were outstanding. The zipped pocket on the back was a nice size. The sleeves and back were long so I was completely covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of Performance In a Light Jacket, November 30, 2013
I'm 5-11, 165 and a medium fits well - snug but not tight. It's quite light and feels no different than my lined winter jersey (which I use for rides above 40 to 60. I've worn it in dry conditions varying from 32 - 38 degrees with either light or moderate base layer(s) and been just right on temperature. As far as wind, a little does enter through the upper arms but a decent long sleeve base layer will prevent any from reaching your skin. I can't comment on the water resistance yet as it's been a dry fall.

It performs well down to 20 with a warm base layer or two. Below that, it's just too light - you'd need to go with a heavier jacket. ***Update - I just rode at 20 degrees with two long sleeve base layers (1 cotton, 1 poly) and felt fine - amazing! Update #2 - wore yesterday in light rain, 48 degrees - stayed totally dry.

The finish and pockets are good - it's a quality item. I would definitely buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have cold. Can bike., November 9, 2013
When the temperatures head south of freezing this softshell jacket comes into its own. It doubles as a windbreaker and it really keeps me toasty warm. Used as part of a layering approach this well fitting jacket is my go to. It has excellent neck protection and does not 'flap' in the wind, rather it fits snugly. Zippered pockets in the back and front provide lots of carrying space, the one on the front is especially handy as the bike can be easily controlled while retrieving food or a nose wipe, whereas reaching into a side pocket can easily throw off the balance. Of course worn by itself with a tee shirt can be a tad chilly, but with a couple of layers this does very well indeed and makes for miles of smiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality....great price, November 6, 2013
This slim cut jacket with a soft-shell liner, is an excellent choice for cold, dry weather cycling. I wore it yesterday in 40 degree cloudy conditions, with a cold 12 mph wind. Underneath I wore a long sleeve PI base layer. Going into the wind I got a little cold, but nothing too uncomfortable. Going with the wind it was perfect. I think you could layer up accordingly, to make this appropriate down to 25 degrees or so. Below that I'll find something else to do!

I own a lot of cycling clothing and have found PI to be the best in terms of running true to U.S. sizing standards. I am 6' 1/2" 160 lbs, and I wear a "Large" in Pearl Izumi, but an "Extra Large" in Euro brands like Castelli. Sizing is subjective however, be careful about those who warn you to "size up" from recommendations. Cycling clothing is best (especially shorts) when they are a little snug on first wearing. I recommend following the sizing charts available on pro kit sites like competitive cyclist.com, they are usually accurate and specific to brand.

This jacket is excellent quality, and a real bargain by cycle clothing standards. However, you will need an alternative if you ride in the rain.

Rate and Discover Movies