4.0 out of 5 stars Warm but not windproof
Published 23 months ago by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but slips a little
They feel great and look great. But you will need to wear these under your bike tight shorts. If you try wearing them with loose fitting mtb shorts on a cold day you will keep pulling them up.
Published 11 months ago by BRIJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm but not windproof, October 11, 2012
These are nice and warm on 40 degree F ride, probably even cooler just haven't tried them yet colder. After a 30 minute ride my skin is warm to the touch where these are in place and my insulated PI Pro over the knee bibs leave my skin cool / cold to the touch and the skin temp changes right where the leg warmers stop and the bibs only start. Net overall assessment better warming from the Elite leg warmer than PI Pro insulated bibs.

I chose the large size, 6'1" 200 lbs, 34 inch inseam pants and they come far enough down that my short socks pull up to just cover the tops of the warmer without a gap while riding. If you are a person with massive thighs / calves I would probably upsize, they are snug but not tight for me with average build legs for a cyclist.

I pointed out in the title these don't have top notch wind blocking capability assessed by the ability to blow through them with my mouth feeling very little resistance to free flow unlike you would find on something designed for to notch wind blocking but I didn't feel a breeze while riding down hills at 30mph+.

Some reviews I read complain about the tops sliding down while riding. My guess is these folks are probably not wearing them correctly. These are designed to be under, not over the shorts / bibs. You can tell this by looking at the placement for the gripper material which is on the outside of the top of the leg, not the inside. With the shorts / bibs over the warmer they stayed in place fine, no issues. The zippers at the ankles provide easy in and out and work smoothly keeping them snug around the lower calf and ankle.

Overall I would recommend these. Probably good for rides down into the mid to upper 30's, but you might want something with more wind stopping power if you want to ride in the low 30's or colder on a road bike at typical speeds. This is just a guess on the lower temp limit of course as I haven't tried them yet in cooler weather but will update when I have had the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product & see review for sizing comments, February 18, 2013
Check out the sizing on Pearl Izumi's website before purchasing. I am 5'10" and about 165 lbs and I was hesitant to purchase a size small (as I typically purchase medium/large sizes) but based on the previous reviews and the below sizing chart it appears this product runs large so I purchased the small size and it was the perfect size. Product works great. I used it in 30 degree weather and it kept my legs warm. On a 20 mile ride I only had to pull them up once. As indicated in previous reviews, these warmers are suppose to be used under your normal biking shorts. Great product and I would buy again.

Pearl Izumi website
[...]
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love These!, October 31, 2013
These are by far my favorite cycling accessory! They make such a difference in cooler or even wet weather. My legs thank PI every time I ride in cool or wet weather. The best thing is, on those long rides that start off cool and get warm, you can take them off and stuff them in your jersey pockets. Get a pair!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good leg warmers but be careful about the sizing, November 26, 2013
Lisa "lisa6789" (Westchester County, NY United States) - See all my reviews
These leg warmers are warm and I like the way they fit to my legs (I am female). Two comments: (1) I am 5'5" and 145 lbs. I have NEVER before bought cycling gear in size small, but from the reviews I understood these leg warmers run large. I ordered small and would not have wanted them any bigger. (2) The first time I wore these leg warmers (I wore them under my shorts) they came down my legs and below my knees while riding. I solved this problem by pulling the leg warmers up to the very top of my thigh, past the fattest part of my thigh. Then they stayed up. If you have really skinny thighs I'm not sure you could keep them up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Gear, January 18, 2014
The Pearl thermal leg warmers are the best leg warmers for my needs. They go on easy and they stay in place, I'll ride in cold weather down to 40 degrees and I'm happy. I won't ride in weather much lower then 40, hard for me to stay warm. Pearls riding gear last forever if you follow their care instructions.

I ride 3 - 4 time per week, 1500 for the year. These warmers work great for those early morning rides that start at 8 or 9 in the fall here in Colorado. The Pearl leg warmers fold up nicely and can be inserted into jersey pockets with ease. The warmers come with zippers and allow easy access, you may need to remove your cycling shoes if you wear a size 46 or 13 us.
I'm 6' tall and 185 Lb's, the large size warmers work great, be aware theres a left and a right warmer.
As you see I gave 5 stars to this product, after 45 years of riding and owning Pearl products, I can say for the money, Pearls riding gear is the best in quality over the long term.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting, September 3, 2013
I am a T-6 paraplegic, and have a problem with my legs going into spasm at night if they get cold. Since I don't have feeling in them, it is hard to tell when "cold" happens. Well, I guess the spinal injury messes that up, also.

I bought these to wear as leg warmers when I sleep. And the slight compression they give helps also. I have used conventional dancer's leg warmers, and they are OK, but these pretty much stay up, stay warm enough, and that compression -- when your legs are spasm-y, that seems to add just the extra boost. About to order another pair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but slips a little, October 18, 2013
BRIJ (RISHIKESH) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, great product, October 11, 2013
Fantastic price on a quality leg warmer. Well made, good fit and features. I will get lots of good use from these this winter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy them in Summer and save!, November 21, 2013
Bought several pair over the summer when they were cheaper. Great for cold and winter cycling; they tend to stay up well when riding. Warm! Blocks the wind and the cold air.

2.0 out of 5 stars Constantly Slips Down, September 6, 2014
I have the 2012 version of style #14371210. This is the second pair of PI leg warmers I have owned. These replaced some excellent PI leg warmers that just got too tired and worn out. These a (very slightly) thicker than my old pair. For those who haven't tried leg warmers, they make a great flexible cold or fall weather riding choice. You can start out on a cold fall day with the warmers, and then strip them off as it gets warmer.

They fit well and are well designed (length, zippers, stitching, etc), with one VERY important exception. ...they constantly slip down the leg, even though I wear standard PI or Sugoi biking shorts over them.

My old pair had the non-slip rubber applied on the inside of the top band, against the skin. That seemed to work well. These have it applied on the outside, assuming the friction against biking shorts will keep them up. It doesn't. Because of the slipping, I find these frustrating to wear. I feel they should have applied the non-slip rubber to BOTH the inside and outside of the top band.

With the winter '14/'15 riding season approaching, I have to figure out a way to add some non-slip material, or find a better pair of warmers.

Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Thermal Leg Warmer, Black, X-Small