5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit, Great Price
I have gone through a LOT of bike shorts. From the $20 specials the the $120 "pro models". These bike shorts feel just as good as the $120 models. IF you are considering a cheapie pair of shorts, please don't do it. Cheap shorts are a waste of money. THESE are quality shorts at a great price. A "best bang for your buck".

A few tips on bike shorts in...
Published on June 2, 2010 by Jorge Berova

1.0 out of 5 stars Chafers
Bought these for the great price and overwhelmingly positive reviews. Hopefully I just got a bad pair, but I have experienced horrible chafing caused by the edge of the padding on both legs. Most recent ride left 4 inch raw and painful chafe lines. I will be returning these to amazon today.
Published on November 6, 2011 by Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit, Great Price, June 2, 2010

A few tips on bike shorts in general that not everyone is aware of. ALL lines bike shorts are intended to be worn without underwear! If you don't believe me, get out your google. If you are going to wear underwear, then don't bother with bike shorts. ALSO, you MUST wash your shorts after every use. Give them a quick wash in cold and hang dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch quality, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short (Apparel)
These look and feel top-notch. I'm very happy with my purchase. As for fit, I'm a male with a size 31 waist and with medium-build legs (not jacked and not scrawny), and the medium fits like a glove. I was right between SM and MED, but went with the size up since a lot of biking stuff runs small. The small is 28/30, and medium is 32/34, and although I'm a 31, the MED works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quest review, August 7, 2011
I have a 33 inch waist, and bought the medium size Quest short as another with the same size suggested a perfect fit, and is correct. Great cycling short for a beginner cyclist. Very comfortable once you get used to the short. As for myself, this is the first cycling short I've worn or bought, and good for the $35 dollar value. As for myself, I do not wear anything under the short. I take a quick shower, apply some suave cucumber with aloe moisturizing lotion to my thighs, butt and groin...basically the saddle area where the short covers your skin. The firmness is something to get used to as is personal adjustments. Well worth the comfort, and not chafing. The padding on this short is more toward the butt area and thinner toward the taint and groin area. So as previously stated, if your an avid rider and more crouched in an aerodynamic position, you may find this short a bit uncomfortable and or want to find a differently padded short. Fine for beginners, 20-30 mile ride or 1-2 hrs. The black color is great for hiding the sweat, and I do sweat. Hope this helps. I'm 5'11" 160lbs 33" waist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quest Shorts Good to Go, April 13, 2013
I'm 50 years old and have been cycling in earnest for over 25 years (following 25 years of youthful bicycling). I've worn LOTS of shorts over the years (including wool shorts with a leather chamois), and I can say that Pearl Izumi's Quest shorts are the good stuff. I wore mine for the first time yesterday for my regular 26-mile loop. Based on this maiden voyage, I feel that the Quest shorts will be comfortable for long rides (100+ miles) to come. The only unknown quantity is how long they will last. Only time will tell. But the material and the stitching seem excellent; I just hope that the makers used quality enough thread that it won't break down too soon.

I bought these for the very reasonable price of $50, and now I see they are even cheaper at $40, so I'm headed over to buy a few more pairs. At these prices, you can't go wrong.

A word of advice: whatever shorts you use (Quest or otherwise), avoid the washing machine as much as you can. When you return from a ride, simply wash your shorts by hand with mild soap (I use Dr. Bronner's) and plenty of water (paying particular attention to the crotch pad), and rinse them well. Hang to dry. My shorts go in the washer only after several rides. I get very long life out of my shorts in this way.

- - - - - -

Now a few days later. These shorts went on sale AND I got more of a discount for signing up for Amazon's credit card, so I basically got these at half-price. I bought four more pairs. Happy happy. These are good shorts. Will wear them till they drop of fatigue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shorts for the average biker (40 miles per weekend), May 24, 2013
This review is from: Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short (Apparel)
These bike shorts, though expensive like most specialized clothing, are well worth the price. The material is comfortable to wear for 20-25 miles a day and doesn't cause any irritation on the skin. The hem sits nicely above the knee without the stitching digging into the skin. Very comfortable to wear. I am a 31 waist and the medium fits perfectly.

The padding, while slightly thicker than I had expected, is comfortable and does a good job cushioning the butt for longer rides. The only issue I have noticed sometimes is that when I stand during bike rides and saddle back again, the cushioning gets a little bunched up towards the top. Doesn't cause any discomfort, just feels weird for the first instant. I hope this doesn't become a problem as the fabric wears.

The shorts are meant to be washed and hung dry, do not put these in a dryer - that will cause the fabric to shred very quickly. Remember to wash after every use, even if it's only a 20-25 minute ride. The material sticks to the skin and you want to be sure you are wearing clean shorts in order to avoid any type of bacterial or fungal infection.

If you are unsure whether to buy these shorts or are just looking for padding under your existing shorts, you could consider getting just the inner liner from the same company - Pearl Izumi Men's Liner Short. These liners have the same padding, and can be worn under any shorts, they're basically compression undershorts. I didn't end up buying the liners because they were more expensive than the shorts.

All in all, I am loving these shorts and these work well for my current ride distances. If I start riding longer distances, will update the review on how these hold up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pair yet, June 10, 2010
This review is from: Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short (Apparel)
This is the most comfortable & best performing pair of cycling shorts I've owned. The last pair of another make had a similar style of padding that I got from my bike shop. These far surpass those and at a better price. Delivery was unexpectedly quick as well. I'll be buying a 2nd pair of these rather than switching between this better pair and my older breaking down shorts (one is 5 years old, the other only 2 years and is already breaking down).

I would recommend these to anyone who's looking for a new pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable. Excellent value., June 19, 2010
I like them so much that I bought a second pair, and I'll buy more in the future to slowly phase out my old ones.

There's plenty of padding in the chamois but it's flexible enough to move with you. I'm still not ready to try out bibs, so a good waistband is worth looking for, especially on long rides. The waistband on these are more comfortable than a pair that I own that cost twice as much. Good leg hems, too. They stay in place and don't feel constrictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short (Apparel)
Finished a century in a pair of these and liked them so much I just ordered two more. Medium fit me well. I am 5'7 180lbs and solid 34 waist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but thin on the padding, April 9, 2011
Porkee Peeg (Santa Cruz, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short (Apparel)
April 9, 2011 - I'm 5-7", 138 lbs and wear medium. I've been riding the Quest since Nov of 2010. The Quest are good for rides under 50 miles as they lack padding in the sit bone area. Overall the padding is thin but comfortable, breathes well, and doesn't trash my private area. With this in mind, last month I bought and prefer the Izumi Pearl Attacks w/8 panels a lot more, a whole lot more. Come summer I'll know which is preferable to ride with on hot days. I'll post back then.
******
It's Sept and I've put close to 1000 miles on the Attacks. These are my favs. The Quest now are used solely when riding on my trainer as they do not provide sit bone shock relief going over bumps. For the $$, the Attacks are a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shorts, May 20, 2013
I'm kind of new to cycling, so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it definitely reduced the amount of pressure on my.... teint I guess you would call it? I think they run a little on the smaller side, or my quads are just bigger. I'm 6'1 210 lbs, used to be muscular, now I'm kind of "fluffy" and the large were pretty tight around the area just above the knee, where it felt like it may have been cutting off circulation at some point but did not experience any numbness, but they left indentations on my skin. I read some negative reviews about the padding irritating the buttcheeks which had me kind of worried, but I have not experienced that at all yet and I've used them about 4-5 times, and each time I rode 10-40 miles.

Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short