Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 2, 2010
I have gone through a LOT of bike shorts. From the $20 specials the the $120 "pro models". These bike shorts feel just as good as the $120 models. IF you are considering a cheapie pair of shorts, please don't do it. Cheap shorts are a waste of money. THESE are quality shorts at a great price. A "best bang for your buck".

A few tips on bike shorts in general that not everyone is aware of. ALL lines bike shorts are intended to be worn without underwear! If you don't believe me, get out your google. If you are going to wear underwear, then don't bother with bike shorts. ALSO, you MUST wash your shorts after every use. Give them a quick wash in cold and hang dry.
2020 comments|446 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2011
These look and feel top-notch. I'm very happy with my purchase. As for fit, I'm a male with a size 31 waist and with medium-build legs (not jacked and not scrawny), and the medium fits like a glove. I was right between SM and MED, but went with the size up since a lot of biking stuff runs small. The small is 28/30, and medium is 32/34, and although I'm a 31, the MED works great.
1010 comments|274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2013
I'm 50 years old and have been cycling in earnest for over 25 years (following 25 years of youthful bicycling). I've worn LOTS of shorts over the years (including wool shorts with a leather chamois), and I can say that Pearl Izumi's Quest shorts are the good stuff. I wore mine for the first time yesterday for my regular 26-mile loop. Based on this maiden voyage, I feel that the Quest shorts will be comfortable for long rides (100+ miles) to come. The only unknown quantity is how long they will last. Only time will tell. But the material and the stitching seem excellent; I just hope that the makers used quality enough thread that it won't break down too soon.

I bought these for the very reasonable price of $50, and now I see they are even cheaper at $40, so I'm headed over to buy a few more pairs. At these prices, you can't go wrong.

A word of advice: whatever shorts you use (Quest or otherwise), avoid the washing machine as much as you can. When you return from a ride, simply wash your shorts by hand with mild soap (I use Dr. Bronner's) and plenty of water (paying particular attention to the crotch pad), and rinse them well. Hang to dry. My shorts go in the washer only after several rides. I get very long life out of my shorts in this way.

- - - - - -

Now a few days later. These shorts went on sale AND I got more of a discount for signing up for Amazon's credit card, so I basically got these at half-price. I bought four more pairs. Happy happy. These are good shorts. Will wear them till they drop of fatigue.
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2011
I have a 33 inch waist, and bought the medium size Quest short as another with the same size suggested a perfect fit, and is correct. Great cycling short for a beginner cyclist. Very comfortable once you get used to the short. As for myself, this is the first cycling short I've worn or bought, and good for the $35 dollar value. As for myself, I do not wear anything under the short. I take a quick shower, apply some suave cucumber with aloe moisturizing lotion to my thighs, butt and groin...basically the saddle area where the short covers your skin. The firmness is something to get used to as is personal adjustments. Well worth the comfort, and not chafing. The padding on this short is more toward the butt area and thinner toward the taint and groin area. So as previously stated, if your an avid rider and more crouched in an aerodynamic position, you may find this short a bit uncomfortable and or want to find a differently padded short. Fine for beginners, 20-30 mile ride or 1-2 hrs. The black color is great for hiding the sweat, and I do sweat. Hope this helps. I'm 5'11" 160lbs 33" waist.
11 comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2011
April 9, 2011 - I'm 5-7", 138 lbs and wear medium. I've been riding the Quest since Nov of 2010. The Quest are good for rides under 50 miles as they lack padding in the sit bone area. Overall the padding is thin but comfortable, breathes well, and doesn't trash my private area. With this in mind, last month I bought and prefer the Izumi Pearl Attacks w/8 panels a lot more, a whole lot more. Come summer I'll know which is preferable to ride with on hot days. I'll post back then.
******
It's Sept and I've put close to 1000 miles on the Attacks. These are my favs. The Quest now are used solely when riding on my trainer as they do not provide sit bone shock relief going over bumps. For the $$, the Attacks are a good buy.
on May 20, 2013
I'm kind of new to cycling, so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it definitely reduced the amount of pressure on my.... teint I guess you would call it? I think they run a little on the smaller side, or my quads are just bigger. I'm 6'1 210 lbs, used to be muscular, now I'm kind of "fluffy" and the large were pretty tight around the area just above the knee, where it felt like it may have been cutting off circulation at some point but did not experience any numbness, but they left indentations on my skin. I read some negative reviews about the padding irritating the buttcheeks which had me kind of worried, but I have not experienced that at all yet and I've used them about 4-5 times, and each time I rode 10-40 miles.
These bike shorts, though expensive like most specialized clothing, are well worth the price. The material is comfortable to wear for 20-25 miles a day and doesn't cause any irritation on the skin. The hem sits nicely above the knee without the stitching digging into the skin. Very comfortable to wear. I am a 31 waist and the medium fits perfectly.

The padding, while slightly thicker than I had expected, is comfortable and does a good job cushioning the butt for longer rides. The only issue I have noticed sometimes is that when I stand during bike rides and saddle back again, the cushioning gets a little bunched up towards the top. Doesn't cause any discomfort, just feels weird for the first instant. I hope this doesn't become a problem as the fabric wears.

The shorts are meant to be washed and hung dry, do not put these in a dryer - that will cause the fabric to shred very quickly. Remember to wash after every use, even if it's only a 20-25 minute ride. The material sticks to the skin and you want to be sure you are wearing clean shorts in order to avoid any type of bacterial or fungal infection.

If you are unsure whether to buy these shorts or are just looking for padding under your existing shorts, you could consider getting just the inner liner from the same company - Pearl Izumi Men's Liner Short. These liners have the same padding, and can be worn under any shorts, they're basically compression undershorts. I didn't end up buying the liners because they were more expensive than the shorts.

All in all, I am loving these shorts and these work well for my current ride distances. If I start riding longer distances, will update the review on how these hold up.
on May 27, 2013
So I almost 50 and just getting back into biking. My tail-end is not as tough as it use to be and riding was as joyful as I remembers. So I thought I would let these shorts help me out. Well they work as expected. They pad the behind well. Being my first pair I have ever owned was not too sure what to expect but they help a lot. The only reason I marked them down was 2 reasons and they are minor inconveniences. The first is the front is padded. I am not too sure why cause I am not riding on my private parts. The padding does cause more pressure their than I would have expected but it is livable. The second is probably not the shorts fault but my stomach. I have a belly so the short to roll down and tend to bunch up in front. Again not terrible just have to remember to pull them up once and a while.

Overall, every happy with the shorts for the price.
on January 15, 2016
Fatal flaw is that the nose piece is not adjustable, which means these will fit only a limited number of faces. Apparently mine isn't one and I'm a medium build guy with normal face; two eyes, one nose, doesn't fit. Back to Amazon they go. Otherwise seems like decent build quality.
review image review image
on June 26, 2014
After reading the reviews and the size information, I thought a medium size would be suitable. I don't know how anyone weighing 180lbs or more can fit into a medium. The waist was a little snug for my 33"-34" waist but the inseam and leg size was super tight. I have an average leg size (maybe a little on the thin side) but they were very uncomfortable. The shorts were squeezing my legs way too much. I thought they were going to rip they were so tight. Since I really liked the shorts, I ordered a large. The large should be perfect.

**Update 6/30/14**- I received the large size very quickly. I have a 34" waist so the large fit me perfectly. The shorts are very comfortable and the padding helps a great deal. The quality feels very good. I hope they last a long time.

**Update 7/20/14** I've worn the shorts on 4 or 5 pretty long trips by now and I'm pretty happy with them. They are very comfortable. The padding is very good and they fit nicely.