Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on October 5, 2012
Having been using this for more than an year, I can say I'm fully satisfied with this jacket.
I still hadn't the chance for catching a heavy storm while using it, but used under moderate rain several times and my shirt under it haven't got a single rain drop at all. And while it offers a moderate degree against wind, it won't cook you under higher temperatures, since it's breathable.

Of course, you'll sweat more while using it under warmer temperatures than by not using a jacket, and it won't protect you from cold if all you're wearing under it is a t-shirt (you'll fell the cold wind against your skin on parts not covered by extra clothing), but as long you're using a long sleeved shirt, you won't be feeling extra cold from wind and if you need extra cold protection, just use adequate clothing (whatever you'd be using if not under rain or strong winds).

The colour is also very nice to have in cycling gear. It's kinda like marker pen colour and will keep you visible as long as there is some light (it has reflexive bands and the rest of the surface is very attention drawing).

And to it can go into washing machine to boot. I've washed mine this way a few times and it show no signs of degradation.

I am so satisfied with it that I bought pants as well, from the same line and with same degree of satisfation.
on July 8, 2012
Unlike the lighter packable bike jackets, this one has a second inner layer, a kind of rubbery material, which holds heat in. I find climbing hills over 50 degrees I need to take it off as it gets too hot and sweaty. Best in cold weather, or on downhill or easy riding on fairly cool days. For a proper snug fit on a 6'1" person, Large would be right. The sleeves are long enough. I bought an XL because I like a looser fit. It is but sleeves need rolled up. The back folds up if you want to use it for cold weather jogging. My only wish is that it has some ventilation zippers for the uphill climbs.
on May 22, 2013
I immediately noticed that cars stop for me when I'm wearing this coat. They SEE me! :-)

Very well made, hi-viz coat with some bike specific touches. Kind of stretchy/rubbery. Blocks the wind well, with enough room for a light sweatshirt underneath on cold days. Sadly, it won't work for a ride above 70. I really sweat then. Buy it big though...
on July 31, 2013
I bought this for BAK (Bike Across Kansas) when the forecast called for rain the first several days in 2013. It turned out I didn't need it then but have since ridden in the rain multiple times with it. I could not be happier.

To begin, the jacket keeps you dry, regardless of the amount of rain falling. My last ride was 33 miles over a couple of hours which saw more than 2 inches of rain during that time frame. My shoes, socks and bike shorts were soaked but my jersey was dry, except for the sweat generated by a good ride. The jacket has two draws at the waist to cinch it as tight as you'd like; two zippered waterproof pockets in front and one zippered waterproof pocket in the back. Stuff I had in each was bone dry. The front zipper also zips up higher than most regular jerseys would so you can get a good seal around your neck. I didn't zip mine all the way up (I have an 18 inch neck and the XL jacket would have been too tight to close all the way) but it worked just fine and closed more than enough to keep me comfortable and dry.

Second, there's a detachable hood with two length options that you can use to adjust if you want a tight or loose fit (or if you've got a neck like a giraffe. The hood comes off easily, if you are so inclined, and I've ridden in the rain with and without it. I've got a big old Charlie Brown-like head but the hood is big enough to comfortably cover my ears if I want(and thus keep the rain out) and still keep my head warm as well. In addition, there' s a bit of a bill on the front of the hood similar to what you find on bicycling hats, and that did a good job of keeping the rain from rolling down my forehead and into my eyes. A nice feature I haven't seen on some other jackets.

Third, the jacket has adequate venting so you're not going to melt in it. That's not to say it will breathe like a good jersey(it is waterproof after all). I like to ride during the fall and winter and it gets cold and windy here in Kansas. I can easily see adding this on top of a base layer that will keep me warm as the temperatures drop and the winds get too chilly for my cycling windbreaker.

Finally, the jacket is cut like a cycling jersey with a nice long (but not too long) tail in back. The cool thing here is that there are snaps (like the ones on the hood) that allow you to snap the jacket up in the back so it looks (pretty much) like a normal rain coat when you get off the bike or just need something to keep you dry when you're walking around. Very nice addition Pearl iZumi!

Yes, this isn't the cheapest option out there, and if you're just looking for something to wear if you are out riding and it starts to mist or rain, there are other good options. However, if you live somewhere where it rains a lot and that cramps your riding time, or if you're like me and just really enjoy riding in the rain (and cleaning your bike afterward), you won't regret this purchase. Good job Pearl iZumi!
on January 18, 2014
Firstly, I have monkey arms. I'm 6' and a smidge, bean pole 160 lbs (32" waist), and an arm span of 6'5"ish. My brother got this jacket while he lived in Portland, and the sleeve length is everything he could hope it to be, so I got one for myself. I wear it on a daily basis on my's a soft material on the outside, polyurethane in interior (read: latex rubber kind of material). Given my slim body size, it's a little big in the body, but that makes it perfect for layering up. I usually wear a wool/polyester sweater underneath on cold days, and it does the trick. On hot days? you will sweat in this. Hot rainy days? You'll wonder how the inside is wetter than the outside. Of course, it's a rubber jacket, what do you expect?

I have had this jacket for 2.5 years, wearing it in the summer, winter and everything in between. I was spurred to write a review, as I recently hit a patch of ice while making a slow turn and going uphill and my front wheel slid out from under me, and down I tumbled. I came down pretty hard on my knees and my shoulder, and I tore about a 2 inch hole on the top of the shoulder of this jacket...I was devastated. When I made it home (after cleaning up my bloody khakis and stopped sobbing over my new hole), I checked out the Pearl Izumi warranty, which doesn't cover accidents (makes sense)...plan b? repair! (I wasn't quite ready to fork out the money for a new jacket) I picked up some Tenacious Tape (by McNett/Gear Aid) at my local outdoor store (check the tent section) and cut out a patch to put on the outside of the jacket. The tape is designed for repairing waterproof materials. It's a little stiff, but it seems like it will do the trick.

TL;DR - rubber jacket, keeps you dry, great arm length for monkey arms. Accidentally damage it? Tenacious Tape.
on May 15, 2013
It's a very comfortable fit, almost form fitting (M) but with extra space in the sleeves. Has a multitude of pockets (essential for runners): two hand pockets, two mesh pockets inside and one big pocket at the bottom for valuables while running (wallet, keys etc.). Also, very lightweight and stretchable, at no point when you run, does the material hinder your movements. In overall, it's also a very fashion-conscious jacket. You won't feel akward while, say, wearing it getting groceries.

The only downside it the attachable hood. It's simply impractical. It's not so much a hood but a cap of sorts. I tried to wear it while running in the rain, but it just kept falling over my eyes.

I'm 180 and 6.2, if that helps you make a decision about it.
on May 9, 2012
Must admit that I just received this jacket and I haven't tried it in the rain but if it's like any other cycling clothing from Pearl that I own I know I won't be disappointed. I wear and ordered a Large and the size is just right. Sleeves are extra long to fit down over the ends of my gloves and the fit is semi-form fitting and just the way I like it (no excessive flapping in the wind). The hood fits well over my helmet & is removable for when you don't want to use it/need it. The jacket is a spring/summer/fall style of jacket that I feel will be well suited to those cycling days in the rain. Pearl clothing is not always the least expensive but they do "get it right".
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2013
The jacket fit just as I expected it to. It is an excellent wind break and as promised is waterproof down to the zippers. Does an excellent job of trapping heat, I have worn this jacket and a t-shirt while riding throughout most of the winter and often end up breaking a sweat.
on October 17, 2014
I'm 5'9", and 145lbs. I bought a Medium - and I'd say it's a little bit too big. However - I'm used to skin tight lycra fitting clothing when riding, so I might just be kind of picky. The good thing is that there is definitely a little room to wear a thicker shirt underneath, which is actually good. If I wanted it tighter - then definitely a small.

The included hood is excellent! I have two cycling helmets. One, I would call a regular helmet with all the vents, and the second is a Giro Air Attack - which is a bit larger and more round than a normal helmet. The hood fits perfectly over both of them. The flap on the front flips down so water will run off and away from your eyes.

The jacket has a back flap that comes down if you like to give you more water protection in the rear.

There is a loop on the inside of the neck - for hanging it to dry.

Will update once I have worn it out in the rain more...

UPDATE: Gave this jacket a huge workout last night. It was absolutely pouring rain - the kind of rain it was hard to see much ahead of you.

I wore a simple skin tight lycra athletic shirt under the jacket - red - because then when I got home I'd be able to easily tell if I was still dry or not. I rode for 1 hour in the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in. The first thing I noticed was that after a few minutes, the jacket looked like a golf ball. It was quite interesting. All the drops were leaving dimples in the jacket, giving it that golf ball look. Maybe it's just because the rain was so hard. Regardless, after an hour of riding I took it off and I was basically completely dry. There was some moisture on both of my forearms, indicated by the red shirt turning dark red. However, within a few minutes, it was gone. So - I believe this is because riding a bike - your forearms take a lot of the water on them, and as the jacket was pressed against my arms for that hour under the weight of the rain, it must have just made me sweat there. Otherwise - completely dry.

The hood with the flap was a life saver. It funnelled all of the rain away from and out of my eyes.

I hung up the jacket in my shower as I do with all wet clothes, and it was completely dry the next morning.

I have a feeling if I had a tighter jacket - I might sweat more - so I'm happy with the jacket being a little bulky. More room to breathe in there.
on September 19, 2014
I had hoped that this jacket would be great for those days with light rain and could be used instead of my very waterproof Patagonia jacket. I was wrong. After 45 minutes of riding my bike the inside of the jacket became soaked with moisture that could not escape. I have never had a problem with Pearl Izumi products but this one just does not work as well as all the other rain jackets I have. I had the jacket zipped half way down in the front and the drawstring cord at the waist was a the loosest setting which should have vented any excess moisture. I bought the jacket primarily to be used as a windbreaker and also to use on those days which there were only sprinkles. It simply failed to work as advertised. I cannot recommend this jacket and have returned it.

See 1 answered question