Peavey PVx 12
Price:$198.49 + Free shipping

on June 8, 2013
I only rate these as a 2 because the tweeters keep breaking. I like the cabinet it is strong the wedge shape is cool. The woofers are great. but .. the tweeters/compression drivers suck. These cabinets are loaded with cheap RX-14 compression drivers that are rated at only 25w RMS (no wonder they keep blowing). Actually they don't blow from over heating (frying) the way most things blow. They just open up (circuit opens) for no reason at all because they are so poorly made. I have jumped through Peavey's warranty hoops twice now and again after one use I have a blown tweeter. You can't get diaphragm kit for the RX-14 (unless you buy aftermarket)The cabinet is fitted with a cross over and a light-bulb in series with the tweeter circuit to prevent the tweeter from frying so when the speaker is being abused the light bulb actually illuminates and will fry before the tweeter does thus protecting the tweeter. It's a cool concept that is part of the "high frequency driver protection" circuit. However these tweeters just open/break before the light bulb every comes on. (I have never had a flash light bulb burn out or had to replace one)

But don't give up on these speakers as there is a solution. These horn drivers have 1" threaded universal mount so they can easily be replaced with something stronger like: Selenium (JBL) D202Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18 (I would have preferred the Selenium D220Ti but the outside magnet diameter of 4.5" is too big for the PVX12 cabinet) The Selenium D202Ti uses the same 1.7" voice coil as the D220Ti so replacements diaphragms are available for less than $15. The original RX-14 outside magnet diameter is 3.5" and Peavey does not give you much more room to go bigger (of course you could go bigger if you cut the horn mount) Anyway be warned you will need to throw another $40-50/cabinet to get decent compression drivers. Update: JBL 2414H-C compression drivers would also make an excellent replacement horn driver as these are the same HF drivers found in JBL PRX412M and have an outside diameter similar to the RX-14.

I have also learned that part of the issue is that the PVX-12 crossover circuit is only 2nd order (only 12 dB) for the tweeter which doesn't give the tweeter much protection from lower frequencies. The woofer crossover is 1st order (that's only6 dB). For those of you who are unfamiliar with crossover lingo that means that these aren't really good crossovers (bare min. at best). Better speakers (ie JBL PRX412M) use a crossover network with 4th order for tweeter and 2nd order for the woofer. Protection wise I don't know if it is worth changing the crossovers on the PVX-12 as I have not blown any of the four Selenium D202Ti's I have installed. Time will tell. If one wanted to the JBL PRX412M crossover p/n is 5011406 and they are around $60/ea. Maybe if someone tries these they can comment?

Another thing I have learned is that Peavey is starting to publish specs like the cheaper speaker manufacturers (think Behringer & Pyle) that stretch the truth. These PVX-12 are really only 200W RMS (400w program / 800w peak) RMS is the traditional way that speaker companies specify performance. You will notice that Peavey is completely silent on this rating. (You can figure out the RMS rating by dividing the program rating by 2)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2013
Have many Peavey speakers and these are in my living room hooked up to a stereo 7.2system and are just the sound I wanted
yeah its a personal taste (sound)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2014
I bought a pair of these speakers about a year ago for the practice room in my studio. Other speakers at this price (including my previous PA speakers) have Peizo tweeters which sound really shrill and harsh, especially at high volumes. I chose the Peaveys because they have Titanium Compression drivers which are much smoother and more natural sounding.

Since I bought them I have used them in all sorts of situations - playing gentle background music one day and thrashing them at full volume during rehearsals the next. They sound sweet and balanced at all volume levels.

I have removed a star only because to get the best out of these speakers you ideally need to run them through some sort of equalization. When connected directly to a music source they tend to sound a bit too loud in the midrange area, so I usually add a bit more bass and treble via a mixer or equalizer to even the sound out.

A previous reviewer talked about the tweeters blowing all the time. I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I can safely say that mine have been regularly been tested to to their full capacity for extended periods and have never given me any problems. Also, with a 5 year warranty you still have the peace of mind that if they do break they can be easily repaired or replaced.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations