5.0 out of 5 stars An instant favorite!
Published on December 26, 2006 by Sharmin Panjvani

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef? Oh, page 3.
In looking for another whimsical, creative, offbeat baby book like Pat the Bunny I found that this title, among others, was purchased on Amazon by people who bought Pat. Because of the connection with Pat I was expecting something more than just five Peek-As, and also that every image would be tied together in a story.

The Peek-As are: Owl/Who, Cow/Moo,...
Published on November 28, 2008 by A. Vance

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant favorite!, December 26, 2006
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
I got this book as a gift for my daughter who was 8 months old at the time. From the first time we read it she was hooked! For the last month, we have read this book daily at least 15 times! She loves turning the pages and the rhyming really keeps her attention! The awesome thing is the she knows to turn the page after the rhyming word! So we dont have random page flipping! She loves the mirror at the end and looks into the peek a boo window so she can see her eyes then when we reveal the full mirror she gives herself a kiss! I love this book because my daughter can't get enough of it! I feel sorry for the rest of my book collection but I figure they will get their due attention in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peek-A-Fun, March 17, 2004
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
Young children enjoy books that have pages to open and repeating punchlines. Peek-A-Who has both. It's also thankfully short for parents who have to read the book the large number of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book we have!, March 22, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
My son has loved this book since we started reading to him at 3 or so months. He has learned to turn the pages (and since the text is so short, I can read it before he turns!) He loves the bright simple pictures and especially the mirror at the end. He always kisses himself, it is SO cute. Course, now he kisses anytime he sees his reflection. This book is wonderful for the simple text and great pictures and the predictablity (a great pre-reading skill!) Our son is 10 months and will sit and "read" it to himself now! A must have for any child's nursery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef? Oh, page 3., November 28, 2008
A. Vance (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)

The Peek-As are: Owl/Who, Cow/Moo, Ghost/Boo, Animals/Zoo, Train/Choo-Choo, and the predictable mirror/You. The cutouts through which you see part of the full image are the same angled peanut shape on every page.

I would have expected the partial views through and around the peanut cutout to contain interesting hints about the uncovered image that encourage the baby to reason a guess, not just to recall an associated design. Only the Zoo page really has anything approaching that (leaves and animal designs...but in that image the partial view of the giraffe looks like a quilt so it may be more confusing than helpful). I also saw a nice opportunity to shape the cutouts into something meaningful...perhaps a different cutout relating to each hidden Peek-A.

I gave this as many as two stars because baby's mom says that it will help her practice similar-sounding words and I like the graphics and title.

In reviewing the three books I purchased to replace Pat I thought about the qualities of the better books we already own that, I believe, make them so good: (1) little visual details that the baby can gradually notice after repeated readings (plentiful in Big Red Barn), (2) an actual story about something in the real world, perhaps repeated in a few different ways (as in Bear Hunt) or with different types of characters (as in More, More, More Said the Baby) or even just an underlying structure that can be learned along with individually engaging images (like in ABC Kids or 100 First Words), (3) interactivity that involves the baby in more than one action (as in Pat the Bunny or the color/object books with things to feel or move), (4) creative or whimsical elements that aren't in any of the hundreds of other books the baby will read (like in Pat or the Very Hungry Caterpillar), (5) a style (story or images) that has become archetypal and hasn't been ripped off or repeated by everyone else (any of the above), (6) lyrical text (Brown Bear or Bear Hunt), (7) a story with an enlightening theme that isn't sappy or preachy (like What Daddies Do Best).

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll always be glad you bought this book, December 10, 2005
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
Peek-A-Who is a memorable infant to toddler book that has a fun element of surprise. The rhymes are cute without being sappy and the simplistic language (though not babyish) is easily understood by little ones, and the book is short enough to hold their interest. It's also very colorful, offering visual stimulation. The simple rhymes lay the foundation for learning phonics. Great book - worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it!, December 8, 2006
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
My 7 month old loves this book. We received it as a gift from our pediatrician's office and he's loved it from the moment he saw it. He loves the anticipation of what's coming up and it's easy enough that my 4yo can "read" it to him and get in on the fun. I'm buying a copy of it to give to my 9 month old nephew as part of his Christmas gift this year. Two thumbs up from our house!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peek-A-Who, February 10, 2003
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
My son LOVES this book!! He giggles with anticipation with each page. Very cute book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peek-a-WOW!, March 20, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
Our 6-month-old daughter squeals in delight every single time we read this book, and at every "Peek a..." page. It was her first book at 3 months, and is still top of her pop chart. We carry it around with us, not just for entertainment & distraction value but to use the mirror to check out how our baby's doing when she's in the backpack. Practical, fun, and beautiful -- what more could you want from a book?

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful little book to "grow up" with, December 27, 2005
Stephanie B. (Arlington, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
This was my daughter's "first" favorite book. She loved it as an infant, and as she started to talk, she recited the words for each page. Now that she's 2 1/2, she loves to "read" it to her 8 month old cousin. It helps ease the frustration she feels at no longer being the baby and the center of attention. I would highly recommend this book to any parent of young children. I personally keep a few copies in the closet; it's a standard part of my baby shower gift packet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made our son laugh out loud!, January 20, 2003
C. Lobb (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peek-A Who? (Board book)
I bought this book for my 15 mo. old son solely on the reviews I read here on Amazon, I had never seen it before. It is a huge hit in our house. It is the first book EVER to make our son laugh out loud! It is amazing, he actually chuckles at the Peek a Boo & Peek a You pages. It's a very simple book overall and very short, but obviously perfect in it's delivery. I highly recommend it.

Peek-A Who?
Peek-A Who? by Nina Laden (Board book - February 1, 2000)
$6.95 $5.88