Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Board bookChange

on October 18, 2007
I bought this book as an expansion of my 18-month old daughter's "library". She has adored author's book such as "Where is baby's mommy?" and "Where is baby's bellybutton?" I was hoping that this book would be just as good. Don't get me wrong, my daughter loves lifting the flaps and other interactive aspects of the book. However, each time I read this book to her, I have to change the narrative to come in 3rd person, i.e. "Who's hiding behind the ball? Peek-a-boo! It's a silly baby (girl/boy)" instead of "It's silly you". Even my 18-month old is smart enough to know that the drawings of children in the book are some other children, and not her. When I used the original narrative, she got upset and tried to tell me that she is not in the book, it's some other babies. They say that the concept of "self" comes about at approximately 12-months. So, the book as written would be most useful with 0-12 months age group. For older kids you would have to change the narrative to make the story about someone else, otherwise, they would just get upset.

Also, as is the case with all Karen Katz's books, the flaps come off way too easily when a child pulls on them slightly. I have to use clear tape to attach the flaps back where they belong in all of the books. We already had to buy 3 replacements for the books my daughter enjoys the most. Perhaps it's the publisher's way to ensure constant demand. I found these books at local TJMaxx and Marshall's for $2-$4.
on March 17, 2011
We've tried to find a book that our now 11 month old would enjoy before bed. It took several but finally we found this one. I'm not sure where it came from but she loves it. It will almost always calm her down and she has so much fun now trying to lift the flaps. It will likely not make it to the donation bin because of how much she enjoys it, but that is a small price to pay for peace! I highly recommend this book over similar lift the flap books that have a little too much prose and not enough color for my little one.
on August 8, 2015
This lift-the-flap book appeals to young children because of the oversized illustrations and the flaps. The only real downside is the fact that the flaps will rip if the child is not careful. The upside is even with the flaps gone the child will still love paging through the book because of the colors and supersized illustrations of the baby featured here.
on August 18, 2013
My 20 month old grandson loves to interact with this book. Colorful and imaginative with just enough flaps to lift. Short and sweet...
on November 18, 2013
Very good book, our children love it. But it is not rugged enough, they rip it up, especially our son. Daughter was not as bad.
My granddaughter, one, loves this book. Lifting the flap as she most quickly learned how to do, was as much fun for her as it was for me.

The little faces under the flaps are so engaging, big smiles, big eyes and funny hair. I could identify with the babies as could my granddaughter. She liked the eyes most of all, she would look at the babies eyes, then at mine, then she would touch her eyelids. Besides being such a fun book, it teaches babies parts of the face.

The illustrations by the author, Karen Katz, are bright, vivid and colorful. The illustrations depict different babies, their smiles, their eyes, and their expressions. Parents/teachers will enjoy reading this book to their little ones, and their children will love lifting the flaps. It is like a game of hide and seek. Enjoyable.

Recommended. prisrob 07-22-15
on February 12, 2010
I'm giving this book 4 stars because my son loves peek-a-boo and looking at the other baby faces brings him a lot of joy. I bought many turn the flap board books because they are interactive (baby can turn the flaps) and my son is very active and needs to participate. However, he has successfully chewed, torn-off and bent almost every flap - in a matter of days. In fact, he has now torn half of a page out of the book also. Honestly, I don't care because he loves books and will spend about 15 - 20 mins on his own a few times a day just looking at his books. Just getting an 8 month old interested in books is step one. If you have an active, strong baby, don't expect the book to last too long. Go with the flow.
on October 17, 2008
I just love all the Karen Katz books; we have many in our home library that we have collected over the years. As another reviewer mentioned, the flaps do wear out over time, but what well-loved flap-book doesn't?! I wanted a new one for our baby and found this cute Peek-a-Baby book--it's precious and my little one already knows which way each flap moves. It is a favorite for her and we read it before each nap and bedtime. Babies just like looking at babies, and especially love peek-a-boo. The phrasing is a little awkward, I do change it somewhat to reflect the baby in the book vs the baby on my lap, but doesn't take away from the fun of the book.
on September 19, 2009
Having been a daycare provider for over 24 years, these are my favorite books for all ages. Karen Katz is unbeatable. Her board books with lift-flaps are timely, entertaining and excellently illustrated. I fell in love with "No Biting" first and have never been disappointed with any I've purchased since. I stock double copies in my daycare to avoid arguments and continue to purchase them every year as Christmas and Birthday gifts. Older children like reading them to the younger ones as an excuse to read them again and again. Highly reccomended!!!!
on June 28, 2009
My 19-month old daughter just loves the Karen Katz books. Her favorites are twinkle toes and princess baby night night. This one was a little boring for me to read compared to Katz's others (peek-a-boo with: "a brown bear sitting in a chair") but my daughter really seemed to enjoy it and asked for it to be read over and over (I guess that's what counts right?) My daughter seemed to enjoy this book from about 12 months to 18 months. Now we take it out occasionally and she still enjoys it.