4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very good carrier cover...
Published on December 7, 2010 by Karen Abraham

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but didn't work for us.
After looking all over for a winter baby carrier cover, this seemed like a great solution. You can keep your child close, utilize body heat, and both stay warm. What I didn't think about is that the baby's arms are completely restricted inside the Peekaru, and my daughter HATED IT. Maybe a younger baby would be ok, but at 9 months old, kids want some freedom of movement.
Published on February 6, 2013 by ab5b

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very good carrier cover..., December 7, 2010
Karen Abraham (Hoboken, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Overall, I've been very pleased with this carrier cover to go over my me and son in the Ergo. It is nice and warm, stretchy (so it worked last winter and is still working this winter) without being bulky, etc. Most other carrier covers either are just for the baby, requiring Mom to freeze or wear the carrier over her coat (which at least for me feels weird). This one is a fleece cover for both Mom and baby, and helps keep both of you warm (even warmer with a jacket for Mom over the fleece carrier cover). For the price, it's a very good deal, since spending over $200 on one of those carrier cover coats wasn't going to happen.

My major complaint is with the head hole for the baby. It is way too constricting, and since it's only in one place, isn't at all flexible when you change the height at which you're wearing your baby as they get bigger. I stretch the hole and my son's head gets through it, but virtually never without him getting upset about it for a moment or two. Plus, the fabric often rides up a bit too close to his mouth for my taste. They really need to have a set of snaps to widen the hole, maybe one above and one below the opening. Ideally it should be where you can open the hole and leave it open in case your baby wants to reach through it (as someone else mentioned, having the baby's hands completely enclosed in the vest without another option isn't ideal). The narrowness of the neck hole also makes it difficult to feed my son's jacket hood through the hole with his head - even if it's not frigid, that has to happen, otherwise the hood under the fleece vest pushes the vest up so it's uncomfortable for my son. So, the company really needs to design an adjustable neck hole for the baby. But if you can deal with that, it's a great product, unlike anything else out there for the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars I feel absolutely idiotic wearing this. But oh so warm., February 3, 2011
I don't think there's any other baby product that has made me feel as goofy as when I'm wearing this vest, but being able to be warm & have my son stay warm while in his carrier is worth the embarrassment. My son is 11 months old and before getting this vest, we usually just bundled him up as needed and tolerated the extra bulk from coats. As the weather got colder, I found that we were using the carrier less and worrying more about if he was warm enough while in it. I've used this now with both a Beco Butterfly and a Boba and it's worked well with both. We both stay toasty warm while wearing this and, even though I feel silly, I think it was worth purchasing.

Sizing note: I'm 5'5" and normally wear size 18/20 clothes. The size XL vest fits me perfectly. It also fits my taller and skinnier husband fairly well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best thing I own!, October 2, 2009
I am totally in love with my Peekaru! We live in MT where it ranges from chilly to down right cold 9 months of the year and I thus use my Peekaru nearly everyday. I have a 3 yr old son and a 5 month old son. I used it when my 3 yr old was younger and it fit us until he was almost 2 and now I use it with my 5 month old. I loved my Peekaru with my older son, but it's totally invaluable with my younger son. When you have a toddler, you're outside a lot and there isn't unlimited time to bundle up your younger child. All I have to do is put my younger son in his baby carrier (If you're in the market, I also love the Freehand carrier that is made by the same company) put on the Peekaru, stick his hat on and we're ready. Another perk is that I can be fully aware of how warm or cold he is because we're sharing the same heat. No more continual checking and wondering whether he's warm enough. This is must have!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but didn't work for us., February 6, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this Vest!!!, September 13, 2008
Lisa Carter (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This vest was a gift. At first i thought "Hmmm, am i really going to need this? " There are so many things that new moms just HAVE to have to keep baby and family happy, and i wasnt sure if this was going to be one of them or if it was going to be in the 'to donate' pile. ;)
Well, After using it once (and it was easy to use, i just viewed the instructions on the website togetherbe.com) i was hooked! Besides getting so many compliments from just about every mom who saw us, and the flattering way it compliments the post pardum body, i just loved how comfortable my baby was. She didnt have to be bundled up in layered puffy clothes. We were snuggled up close and warm and it felt great. I even nursed her with no problems. I just unzipped the sides a bit and lowered her in. No one could even tell we were nursing! Its the perfect fall outing wear for me and my baby. Its surprisingly great in the winter too! If i need to be any warmer, i just throw a jacket on for sleeve warmth. Usually, though with walking and carrying a 20 pound baby im plently warm with just the vest! I love the Peekaru!

4.0 out of 5 stars Will probably be helpful as baby grows, October 29, 2010
Leonore (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews
I put this on for the first time yesterday. It is a quality product and is very easy to use. One issue though- I use the Moby wrap to carry my 2 month old in the front. When he sleeps, he likes his head tucked in. That position also keeps him warmer in these windy fall days. With the peekaru on though, he can't be "tucked in." Maybe I can finagle it so the neck hole is a breathing hole.... have to try that. I'm sure when I transition to the Ergo (which I LOVE) the peekaru will be more helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for cold weather, October 26, 2009
I highly recommend this item. I live in AK and you just have to get out of the house at some point so you bundle up but nothing quite covers your baby enough. Then I found this peekaru. Yes, its a little bit tough to put on esp. if you are doing it yourself because you already have the baby in the backpack and there are 3 holes, one for the head and 2 for the arms so don't get the wrong one! But you get the hang of it. I use it with my ergo. First I lay baby down on the ergo and then put the peekaru over baby's head. Then I get the whole ensemble on and buckled and zipped up. It is very snug and warm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 3, 2011
I love this! It is so comfortable and kept my baby very warm. I used this when it was about 30 degrees outside. My baby had on a winter one piece body suit and hat and I wore an additional light jacket and we were both very warm. My only suggestion is to buy a size larger than you normally would. I usually wear a size small but with my baby under the cover it got very tight. I exchanged it for a medium so there is a little more wiggle room. I love this and would recommend this to any mom who uses a baby carrier. My carrier is an Ergo and it worked perfect with it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, mediocre execution, February 14, 2014
Buffy Fan (Greenfield, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I hoped to use this from birth to take my winter baby out when I needed to. However...I had to wait to use it at all until my baby had a bit of head control and grew big enough for her head to come out the baby's head opening (for her, this was about 8 weeks). Second, now that I can use it, I find it is wicked hard to zip by myself. I can do it, but it's a contortionist's job. I'm 5'3" if that's relevant, but my arms aren't particularly short. Third, taking it on and off sucks as it makes a static-y frenzy out of my hair.

I'll use it most in in-between seasons by itself and just unzip it indoors rather than taking it on and off. Much better for long hikes than errands. I might like it if I lived in a pedestrian city rather than in the country where I always have to use my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, December 23, 2012
Great warm cover to keep my little girl warm as i carry her in our ergo!

We just went to the zoo with temperatures below freezing. There was ice on the ground & my little girl and i had only jackets (north face jackets, so relativly warm) on and sweaters under them. No need for the heavier coat version of this, the fleece peekaro was plenty warm bc you share your warmth under this. We wouldnt have gone out in temperatures this low with such a little one without this. A heavy coat on her would not have kept her as warm as this did.

A medium fits me (130lbs, 5'6") & my 1 year old (25-50%) just fine with room to grow. Her feet are even still covered bc it is so long.

It is difficult to put on & take off, so i would not recommend for trips from the car to the store if you have to remove it alot.