4.0 out of 5 stars Very good lock for Pelican case
We use several Pelican cases to ship equipment. I had been using Brookstone cable locks, but tried this Pelican brand lock. It costs more than the Brookstone ones, but is very well built. I only consider these locks enought
Published on July 19, 2010 by doug

3.0 out of 5 stars very small
This is very small, but well built. I have a pelican case and with this lock on it you can still open it about three inches. Though I couldn't pull stuff out of the case quickly, I could still open the case and remove small items from it with this long on.
Published 23 months ago by Peter J. Schrock

3.0 out of 5 stars very small, January 12, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good lock for Pelican case, July 19, 2010
doug (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
to keep prying eyes and fingers out of the cases during transport, and they are TSA compliant (which means TSA can open them with a key). This lock is also larger and heavier than the Brookstones ones, but I think it is more secure. For cases, I highly recommend the Pelican locks. The cable fits the heavy plastic mounts on the cases, which smaller locks will not. For a cary-on bag, this might be too heavy. Overall, a great product for its intended use. Also, Pelican stands by its products, replacing flashlights and furnishing broken latches on cases. A fine company.

4.0 out of 5 stars 30-Day Evaluation; Soldier Tested, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
Purchase/Shipment: This product was purchased because of the brand recognition I have of Pelican products. I use anything Pelican in order to safely secure my valuables when I travel. The product was ordered and arrived in two (2) days using Amazon Prime's great two-day shipping option! The item was packaged in a bubble mailer and did not suffer any damage upon arrival.

30-Day Evaluation: The TSA-approved lock is what I consider a "low-security" lock. I say this because it is very easy to pick TSA-approved locks in general, regardless of brand. I would only use this lock on items that are in your direct possession while you are traveling (i.e. carry-on bag, backpack, briefcase, etc.). However, if you expect to use this lock on something like a public locker, chances are you will find your lock open and empty when you return. Bottom line, use this lock only if you are willing to part with whatever you are securing if you decide to step away from your secured items for long periods of time.

I used this lock while deploying to Afghanistan. The lock was used to secure my carry-on backpack while I transited the various airports and terminals. I thought of the lock as more of a "deterrent" than an actual means of security while I sat waiting for my next mode of transportation to my next destination. The lock seamlessly opens whenever you use your chosen three-digit combination. Then again, this lock is only secured by a metal clasp that grips a thin, but sturdy, cable.

The lock works well for what it is designed to do and kept my backpack secure during my entire trip downrange. It was great for locking zippers that are at odd angles or are of different sizes. The cable-lock method makes this possible. Again, choose the right lock for the right occasion. With that said, this lock works as it is designed to do and am still an advocate of Pelican-branded products!

3.0 out of 5 stars Opens easily; hard to read, August 14, 2013
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
I've had several TSA-approved locks over the years of varying styles. I love the ease with which this opens! The side push-button makes opening this lock a snap, even one-handed. However, the numbers on the dial are not very easy to read. If a high-contrast dial had been used, I would gladly give this lock full marks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but flawed, January 25, 2014
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
I bought this for my Pelican case - I've learned that for hard cases like this, a cable shank is better than a hard shank because hard shanks tend to bend and jam when a hard case hits other items when the case is used as checked lugged.

The lock works well, BUT it has two flaws:
1. You can see the numbers through the front and back of the lock and it is not obvious which is the front and which is the back - if you set the number on the wrong side the lock won't open! My automatic assumption was that the button should be on the right side to open, which is wrong. I've used a marker pen on the side that should be used (adding black ink to the small indents) to make it obvious.
2. The numbers on the wheels are very hard to see with overhead lighting. When I'm at home, there is too much reflection to identify most numbers so I have to turn the wheel until I see a number I can read and then count to the correct number.

Both problems could be addressed easily by the manufacturer (just as paint in the indents on the correct side, and maybe using red paint instead of black for the numbers).

1.0 out of 5 stars OUCH, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
Easy to set combination. CAUTION.......after setting your combination, do not let a number "roll" as you are locking the cable. Otherwise, you will end up cutting the cable, as the combination has changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Functions as advertised, but the lock and action feel "loose"., August 12, 2013
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
Setting the new combination is easy and it locks every time, but I feel the need to check it. It doesn't seat like the old Master brand combination locks. I doubt there is a significantly better option in TSA approved space.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading product label, June 14, 2013
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
This is a quality lock, I'm not denying that, it's just that the idea of locking up your valuables with a lock that can then be opened by some guy in the security screening room when you aren't present is a very bad one. Try searching 'TSA Locks don't always keep valuables safe' some time, and read about how often people have used locks such as this on their cases, thinking they are the only ones TSA will allow, only to find things stolen from their case on the other end.

In short, you don't want a lock that someone else can open when flying. The way it works is that if your bag/case needs to be inspected, they will tell you so and do so with you there. I've flown with Firearms a half dozen times now and there is no way in hell I would put a lock such as this on it.

Do your research, and avoid this type of lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong lock but the TSA might force it open anyway, September 13, 2014
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
Easy to use. But I now need to buy another one. On the fourth time through an airport and the third time by bags were opened by the TSA, they decided to cut off the lock rather than use their special FSA key. I can see by the dents in the wire that their wire cutters failed. Eventually the TSA managed to wrench the lock apart. As they told me they are NOT responsible for damage if I lock my case EVEN IF I use an TSA approved lock. What is so interesting about my bag? I check my PC and its assorted power supply and wires which probably shows up on the x-ray hence their curiosity. So, this is obviously a strong lock but remember the TSA does not have to honor the TSA approval if they do not want to and if you put lots of interesting wires in your bag they will want to open it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A zip tie will work better., October 6, 2014
This review is from: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock (Camera)
I do not know how this lock got so many high reviews. It is garbage. I locked it once and the combo would not re-open the lock. But that does not matter because I was able to easily break the lock by twisting a pen in the cable. Then just to see I took a pair of ordinary, plastic handled, dollar store scissors to the cable and cut through it.
A zip tie will work better because 1) you will know if TSA opened it. 2) a zip tie will hold the lid closed in case the latches fail, and 3) a zip tie will be just as difficult to defeat as this flimsy lock.

Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock