Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 28, 2008
TSA seems to like this lock a little too much.

I bought this excellent lock for a pistol case, and it alway performed beautifully. I borrowed it to use for my suitcase when flying cross-country, and was able to use it in fairly low light.

Unfortunately, it was not on my suitcase when I received my bags at my destination. I can't imagine this lock ever breaking, so I can only surmise that someone in TSA liked it so much that they decided to take it for themselves! It's a rather backhanded endorsement, but I definitely plan to buy PeliLocks again.
on February 8, 2014
Unlike cheaper ones, these work great! They are easy to set your code on. When working with them you can tell that these are of higher quality than others. I have had 15 of these on various items for last 12 months and I am super hard on gear. They hold up fantastic! I have had other brands prior and they fell apart, hence why I bought these. Buy these once and be done forever. Based on how high the quality is, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last lock I own for the rest of my life...and I am in my mid 30s!
on January 3, 2015
This has the worst instructions ever written. I had to telephone the company and they took 45 minutes before they could answer the question on how to set the combination. Then they got it wrong. Finally I asked a grandson the likes 3 dimensional puzzles to assist me, and after reviewing what they had said, and what we had tried, he set in in a couple of seconds. I should make you suffer and not let you know the solution, but I won't. You hold the small button down on the side with the opening locking bar on the left. Then turn the combination to set it to a new number, and release. The new combination is now set. A stiff paperclip of heavy safty pin works best. Good luck!
on September 13, 2011
I use a pelican hard case for business travel and had originally purchased standard mini-TSA padlocks for the outside hasps. These locks kept disappearing after my flights and I just assumed that the TSA thugs were just cutting them off (even though they had the special TSA access thingy). Anyhow, what was actually happening was that the standard hard hasp locks were being broken off in handling since the hard case doesn't give at all like a soft suitcase would. So, my bad TSA, sorry for accusing you of destrying my locks. that said, I bought these cable type "flexible" locks and they've lasted great so far. Problem solved!
on January 18, 2007
This product does exactly what it is intended to do. I am able to protect my expensive electronic equipment with the comfort of knowing it is safe when not in my hands.. I love it..
on January 31, 2014
The first time we shipped a Pelican case with this lock attached, someone had twisted the cable out of the hasp, stolen our merchandise, and relocked it before putting it back into the shipping lanes. It arrived locked and intact with the exception of a kink in the thin cable. This is good only for keeping the two halves together if you check it in luggage; don't think it provides any security.
on April 7, 2012
I put two of these on a 70# Pelican 1650 case. One the third trip through the highly mechanized world of air transport, one looked fairly bent up. On its immediate return trip back home, it disappeared off the case. The case is intact (other than a constant addition of new scars), but the lock's gone.

I've lost two other similar cable locks - off a much smaller/lighter case - and have come to the opinion that such cable locks aren't made robustly enough for actual TSA-based passage. I'm waiting on delivery of two larger, solid shackle models that, I hope, will stay put.

I'm sure Godzilla's gastro-intestinal tract is less demanding than the conveyors & gorillas at the airports. TSA padlocks should be made to survive either. Either that or they should sell these in packs of a dozen...
on November 3, 2009
I needed a pair of locks for my Pelican case which houses all my camera equipment when I'm on the road. The locks themselves are very well built and are surprisingly heavy for their size. I always feel safe knowing my camera equipment is well protected by the Pelican case and, now, the Pelican locks. The only thing I would note is that these locks do use an intertwined metal of some sort as the bolt part of the lock which works for travel; however, I'm not confident this part could withstand an easy snip with bolt cutters.
on June 5, 2015
They seem to do the trick in areas that a short shank lock will not. However when baggage handlers get it nothing holds up. I had one of these locks on a Pelican 1510 full of photo equipment and the lock got "scrubbed up" from their handling, but, did not break loose. I would by another if needed.
on November 22, 2012
Not giving 5 stars because I rarely give 5 to anything.

Pros: Easy to lock and unlock, easy to change the combination. The back side has some indentations (hard to describe, like bolt marks), which makes it easier to tell it from the face side.

Cons: Dials are TAD small for my eyes without reading glasses, but then most books are too.

Other comments: it's a very small lock, with a very thin cable, much thinner than those looped cables used to lock bicycles. You don't even need a bolt cutter for it, a small pocket wire cutter will do. Like others noted, this is more a deterrent, to make the access more difficult so that thieves would have less time and desire to mess with it.