Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on BGG

on January 19, 2014
First off, I should mention that I bought this case specifically for photography gear. I'm a wedding/event photographer and need to transport my gear to/from locations and wanted something a bit more durable and easier to work out of. My goal was to be able to put my more expensive primary items in this case, while still using my backpack for outdoor (mobile) shooting.

When I first unboxed the case, I thought I was going to have to buy a larger one. I was pleasantly surprised with how much gear I was able to fit after spending a morning carefully breaking away the pre-cut cube foam. Keep this in mind. You will need to sit yourself down for several hours carefully shaping the foam. I found it quite enjoyable despite the fact that I watched Manchester United lose (again) while doing this. Just take your time and try to leave about 2 layers of foam between the heavier items.

FYI: Inspect the foam grid before you start breaking out the pieces you don't need! There is a seam that runs along the middle in the horizontal and vertical directions that is slightly wider than the pre-cut squares. It's hard to explain, but you'll notice it if you just take one close look. I would suggest you try to leave these 2 seams untouched as they will give the foam a tiny bit more rigidity.

For reference, here's the gear that I'm storing in this case:
- Canon 1D-series body (w/ eyepiece extender and an Arca Swiss plate plus CustomSLR C-loop on bottom)
- Canon 6D body (w/ eyepiece extender and CustomSLR C-loop on bottom)
- 24-70mm 2.8L lens w/ hood attached
- 135mm 2.0L lens w/ hood attached
- 16-35mm f/2.8L *without the hood* or 35mm f/1.4L lens
- 3 Canon Speedlites (more on this below)***
- Some slots plucked out for smaller items (16 AA batteries, extra 1D battery, extra 6D battery, 6D charger, 3 Speedlite shoes, 8 card SD card holder.

I work out of this case when I'm on location. If I'm going to go mobile, I'll pick out what I need and throw it in my backpack.

***Note retarding Speedlites: I have 600EX's. This case is about 1/4" too shallow to place them vertically. If you could, there would be even more space for gear. I have 2 of the flashes laying on top of each other and the 3rd is placed in a slot where the head is tilted in the 90-degree position. If you have 580EX (or something other) check the length. If they are at least 1/4 inch shorter when the head is pointed directly up, this case will hold a bit more gear.

After thinking about the purchase of this specific case a bit more, I will likely buy a second identical one so I have a place for the rest of my photography related gear (brackets, extra card holders, 70-200 f2.8L IS lens, 1D series body charger (which is big), AA chargers, etc.)

I'm not going to question the durability of any Pelican case. I have 2 others that I've been using for many years and they are as close to indestructible as you can get. It's a very safe purchase that will last a very long time. Keep in mind that these cases hold their value should you decide to sell it a year or 3 down the road.

I'll snap a photo of my layout and upload it here ASAP.
review image
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2006
This is my first Pelican case and will not be my last I am sure.

What I like about this case is the quality of fit and finish, size, pricepoint and mobility. It also fits the carry-on requirement for commercial airlines perfectly.

Nice and tight fit is complimented by rugged materials that handle the couple of mishaps I have had so far very well.

I actually paid about 20% more than the price I see listed here and felt like I had received adequate value and still do.

Listen if I had to give those considering whether to purchase this case one good tip it would be this. Buy this case but with the sectioned liner instead of the foam. I know the foam sounds great but in retrospect I wish I had bought this with liner instead.

Would you believe when that has come up in conversation with other photographers the ones I talk to say the same thing?

Yes the few I have talked with agreed!

See you think you want a clean, tight, perfectly aligned situation inside but the reality is that you quickly

add more accessories like cleaning stuff and manuals that are also integral to your equipment.

Taking that into consideration makes the likelihood of using this case for more than periodic air travel more likely when able to fit your principal and ancillary outfit together and access it quickly when necessary.

Since being prepared means having the ability to clean lenses and sensors and reference manuals and carry business cards the liner appears more practical in retrospect than the foam.

I am about to order the liner as an accessory adding significantly to the cost. Had I known then what I know now, I could have saved sixty or so bucks.

Anyways, overall fine product from a contemporary manufacturer!

Good luck!
on September 8, 2011
I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone Nat'l Park; Big Sky, Montana; and the Grand Tetons. In preparation for this trip I bought the Pelican 1510 case and added the lid organizer. All-in-all it was a great purchase. The case easily fit in the overhead bins on both the larger (Airbus) plane and the smaller, regional plane. The handle and wheels worked well and made it easy to pull through the airports. It held a lot of gear - two DSLR bodies, 70-300 zoom, 17-55 zoom, 10-22 zoom, 100 f/2.8 prime, 300 f/4 prime, 1.4 teleconverter, flash, filters, memory cards, extra batteries, and lots of other assorted photo goodies (of course, photographers would always like to be able to carry more, but then you'd have a case that was too big to be stowed in the overhead). The velcro partitions are easy to re-arrange to customize the inside space. The lid organizer gives additional storage for small items (be careful when installing it to make sure the holes in the organizer line up with the attachment points in the case lid - and pre-drill screw holes to make the screws easier to insert). One of the reasons I opted for this case was the chance that I'd be forced to check it at the gate; if that had happened, I knew the strength of the case would protect the equipment when it was tossed around by the baggage handlers. Fortunately, I didn't have that problem because, as I said, it fit in the overhead with room to spare. One downside was lack of space to have the battery grips installed on the DSLRs - but with a little more time and creativity (or less gear), I probably could have worked that out also. While no one case ever seems to be perfect (and therefore photographers usually buy several to satisfy different requirements), this was pretty close.
on December 15, 2008
This is by far the best case that I have bought so far. I recently picked up more lighting equipment along with more transmitter and my Tamrac bag was just getting way to small for everything. This case holds everything plus more. Its waterproof to like 30ft. I think. Its dust resistant as well. Its great for a carry on luggage if you like to travel. Best thing of all, it has wheels just in case you get tired lugging everything. I
bought the case with the padded divders, but I wanted more space so I also ordered the lid organizer as I wanted more stuff to hold. Once you get this, you will not be going back to the regular backpack.
on February 16, 2013
Pelican = 10!

Light to travel sturdy to keep safe your equipment!!

Fits perfectly as handbag lugagge @ all airlines!
review image
on April 2, 2015
I can fit exactly 47 lbs of tools in this case with the lid accessory. I know this because I travel all over the world as a technician. I have uploaded photos of this case after twenty trips across seas to the Middle East and Europe and the tools that fit in it.

I will now list what I carry in this case: 1 Bosch ps-21 hand drill with extra battery and charger, two full sets of drill bits, two sets of security bits, a ferrule crimper, rj-45 crimper, an automatic wire stripper, 2 handheld wire strippers, d-type crimper, coaxial compression crimper, lmr-400 stripper, fiber shears, scissors, screw driver, precision screw driver, 1/4" socket set, cutters, utility knife, pens, files, center punch, coaxial stripper, cable stripper, fluke pro 300 probe and toner, multimeter, Allen wrenches, 6" crescent, channel locks, 8-12mm and 1/4"-1/2" spanners, 2 greenlee crimpall crimpers and die set, punchdown tool, soldering iron, coaxial/cat tester, head lamp, safety glasses, hearing protection, and solder.

I hope that I am doing this case justice when I say it is the best case I have found and currently in production at this time. Do I have to organize my tools in roll up pouches and a sensible manner? Yes but who wouldn't? There is nothing I could to do to improve this case unless I spent 3-6 months custom designing a 2nd version of this case with pelican. If you are curious about its capabilities all of the gear I have listed has survived TSA and every other transportation agency I have run into so far.
review image review image review image
on July 10, 2013
I originally bought this case because I was traveling over seas to Europe. This case fulfilled all of my expectations and more. At the moment my case carries the following.

D7000 w/ optional grip
Mamiya 645

50mm prime
12-24 F4
28-70 F2.8
80-200 F2.8

SB600 and SB700

I also have a plethora of AA batteries, filters, cheap wireless triggers, and a spare back for my Mamyia. On the lid I installed the optional organizer. It holds almost everything I need it to, the only thing I couldn't squeeze into it were my chargers and laptop.

I purchased this case because it meet the specific dimensions for overhead bins as specified by the TSA (and it also fits on bins in flights from Italy and France so it is fairly universal). On the Eurorail though it wouldn't fit under seats or on most of the over head bins, because those are more designed for day packs. I wanted a robust case that could take any and all damage that could be thrown at it and keep my camera gear safe, and pelican goes above and beyond. The only part that seems a little sub par is the extension handle to use the wheels; but from 3 weeks of trains and planes it is still as sturdy as the day I purchased it.

The latches to open the lid are awesome, I can easily open and close my case without worry of trapping my fingers which may be a nuisance with other flight cases. The wheels have to be made from titanium because I dragged this case all across Italy where there are cobble uneven streets that would put any cheap wheels dead to rights. My only major complaint is (ironically) the foam. Because the foam is modular and can peel apart, if someone is careless like myself when putting their gear back things start to fit less snug than what they used to.

Though the main reason I am writing this review is solely from one experience I had with it, and that was at JFK airport in New York. During my flight back home nobody at all checked their bags and by the time less than 3/4 of the plane was boarded all the luggage racks were full. The hostess informed me that they had to take my bag, and consequently it was put in with checked luggage. Once I picked up my case the only damage was a slight ding or cut where something sharp must have sliced a bit of the case off. All my gear was perfectly fine. This case is a must have for any photographer who travels any kind of large distance with important gear. It may also be a great case for other sensitive electronics, glassware, or firearms.

Some options I would recommend to have with the case are...
1. locks so nobody but you can open it
2. Bike lock, this is only if you go on a public train where you have to leave your case on a luggage rack. Theft is rampant on the trains there and if you lock your case to the rack nobody can steal it as they exit the train.
3. Lid organizer with Velcro, I used Velco to secure it because its easier than drilling holes into it and allows for flat objects to be stored under it.
on February 10, 2012
This case is great and earns an easy 5 stars. However, buyers should look into buying the case with no foam and instead buying a higher density foam.

Very sturdy, excellent construction and design.
Looks great
Rolls well, solid handle

Included foam was terrible. It is way too squishy-- not high enough density to really hold things secure and snug. Also the foam deteriorates rapidly if you have to squeeze things into the cutouts you make.

Do yourself a favor and buy the case with no foam and buy some good quality high density foam instead.

However, the case is so great that it still earns 5 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2015
I have been waiting to get a good case for traveling. Since I am going to Europe for 10 days in November i finally went ahead and got this case. Its heavy duty. Looks small on the inside but fits a ton of stuff. I got it with the pluck foam or whatever its called. Horrible. I'm not a fan of that. Also I'm not a fan of the dividers that involve velcro. So i searched and found a company that was formed by Kickstart called TrekPak. Awesome small business. They have a kit for may different types of cases so i got the Pelican one. I actually ordered another strip just in case i cut wrong. But its made to fit your gear. But so easy to move back and forth if you get new equipment. It like a firm foam with a plastic insert in the middle. The insert has holes and that is where you put a pin with red tab to connect the pieces together. The pins are very study.

My equipment i have in the case is as follows:

Canon T2i with Batter Grip and quick release plate
Canon 70D with Battery Grip and quick release plate
Tamron 150-600mm with hood
Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens with hood
Canon 18-135 lens with hood
Canon 55-250 lens
Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens
4 chargers

* These items were in the lid add-on*
bout 10 extra batteries
1 HDMI cable
1 cable for audio/video
remote switch
a bundle of memory cards

This thing when filled up is quite heavy but rolls around just fine. So happy i wont be killing my back anymore when traveling through airports.
review image review image review image review image review image
on April 21, 2015
Good news and bad news. The good news is as follows: 1. It is great for traveling in the tropics because it is 100% waterproof. I have seen this case on a luggage cart in the pouring down rain, and while everyone else's stuff is soaked; mine is dry and secure. 2. It is like a safe in your hotel room. You can put real locks on it and nobody can get into it. Put your camera, cell phone, IPad, and money into it. If you bring a bicycle cable with it, you can secure it to the toilet sink or the bedframe, too. 3. It is pretty much indestructible. You can't break it. Porters can't break it. You can throw it down the stairs and it will be just fine. The bad news is as follows: 1. The carrying handle is too short for anyone over 6'2" tall. It's not telescoping and therefore it only extends up about 20". I am 6'9"tall and this sucks bad. 2. It weighs 13 pounds. One more time...IT WEIGHS THIRTEEN POUNDS. If you fly from island to island or anywhere in the 3rd world, you are limited to 10 kilos in the hold. 10 kilos equals 22 pounds. If you already have a 13 pound bad, this means you are stuck paying for the extra weight. Recommendation: If it's raining or dusty or you are going to a place with mosquito nets over the bed and no in-room safe for your valuables, BUY THIS CASE. If you are transporting your camera gear in the trunk of your car, BUY THIS CASE. If you are traveling around the USA and are a business road warrior, buy the TravelPro Flight Crew 4 20 Inch Rollaboard.