4.0 out of 5 stars A challenge to install, but worth the effort
My collection of photography equipment has been growing exponentially and I needed a secure kit to put it all in, so I bought the Pelican 1510. The lid organizer is a great idea to contain all the bits and pieces that normally get tossed into corners and then fly around in the case.

I'm not sure why the previous reviewer felt his lenses were insecure after...
Published on May 2, 2008 by Jane Harper

2.0 out of 5 stars Item shipped is NOT the item pictured.
Published on January 13, 2009 by Redneck

2.0 out of 5 stars Item shipped is NOT the item pictured., January 13, 2009
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
The item shipped is NOT the same as the item pictured (which may be for a different case than the 1510?). The item you will receive if you order this product has only 5 large zippered net pockets - each of which is very large and can easily hold a standard sized flash or two. There are no pockets for cell phones, pens or folders as in the ad photo. The organizer is still useful, but not as nice/usable as what Amazon is incorrectly representing in the photograph. I would prefer the smaller, flatter, more compartmentalized pockets for camera batteries, filters and the like.

The product is attached via screwing 6 screws into the 1510 lid, and you would need to drill pilot holes and tear netting with a screwdriver to attach it the way it's designed (plus I would advise buying some metal washers, not included, so the plastic back doesn't tear). I instead purchased Velcro fasteners from Wal-Mart for $2 and used them for attachment. Easier, just as effective and non-destructive.

I'm keeping the dimpled foam for the lid and using it in front of the pockets. It won't "stick" inside the lid anymore with he organizer attached, but will still provide protection to expensive camera gear from contact with the pocketed items like batteries.

I rate this a 2 due to my disappointment over the item's misrepresentation and design flaws. I kept it despite my disappointment as it will still allow storage of small items in the over-sized pockets.

;-{>

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenge to install, but worth the effort, May 2, 2008
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)

I'm not sure why the previous reviewer felt his lenses were insecure after removing the foam in the lid. I always make the foam compartments in the lower part of the case a bit smaller than the article I'm putting in, and they get held snugly that way.

My only complaint -- and the reason I gave the organizer 4 stars instead of 5 -- was the difficulty I had installing the organizer. Although Pelican claims to have drilled starter holes in the lid for the small screws (provided) to engage, I found the starter holes shallow and very, very small, too small for even the tip of the screw to catch. I wound up having to take a carpet tack and a hammer to make the top of the starter holes big enough. I wasn't anticipating a construction project when I bought the organizer, and it turned into a bit of one.

Otherwise I'm loving both the 1510 and its organizer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not again!, August 23, 2010
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
This is at least the second review where the item received is NOT the item displayed in the Amazon picture. If the organizer shown in the ad is not available, then either say so or change the picture.

If this is how Amazon conducts business, maybe we all should take our business elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars WRONG IMAGE..., AGAIN..., and AGAIN..., and AGAIN...!, December 10, 2010
Mike B. (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
I did NOT expect that I have to read product reviews to realize that Amazon has NOT fixed a KNOWN issue that has existed TWO YEARS! (See previous reviews from 12/7/10, 8/23/10, 8/18/10, 4/4/10, and 1/13/09). Product reviews *should* be focus on things like function and durability, not on the shortcomings or misrepresentations of the retailer/distributor. Perhaps I am just receiving the same item that has been returned multiple times??

You will NOT get the item picture. I liked the lid organizer as shown with the file folder pocket, and other pockets for things like cellphones, pens/pencils, etc. However, the item I received had 6 mesh pockets. Yes, I *might* be able to live with that (have not decided), but I DID NOT RECEIVE what I thought I bought.

I know that Amazon will probably make good on the return shipping and refund, if I decide to return it. However this takes time to repackage and reship, which is an annoying inconvenience for an issue that is already well known. (sigh)

I also noted that I will need to drill the case to install the organizer, so Pelican needs fix that in their design.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive image, tricky installation, March 4, 2009
Kurtis A. Hartley (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
Not only does the item received not match the item pictured, the instructions don't match the item or the picture! That aside, it is still a wonderful addition to the case, and in my estimation an essential one. True, the foam no longer fits well once the organizer is installed, but my items fit snugly enough that there is no shift or loss of protection with the omission of the foam. As for the install, I will echo another reviewer...the 'starter' holes are hopelessly small, and worse yet, they don't properly line up with the holes in the organizer! I lined one of them up, and then had to use my drill (with a wire gauge bit) to start new holes where they happened to line up. And yes, two of the mounting screws required me to drill/screw through the mesh, but I was able to do so without damaging the material. Overall, with the correct equipment, installation was about ten minutes. Now that it's in, I'm very happy...too bad there are no accurate photos/illustrations of the actual item, which may put off some buyers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer, April 5, 2008
J. R. Osborn (Southern Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
I definitely needed something for my new Pelican 1510 case to hold the small items. The lid organizer will certainly do that for me. When it arrived I was a little surprised that is wasn't more "substantial." It seemed a little cheaply made for the price. The instructions said it came with both screws and straps, but there were no straps included. Putting the screws into the lid of the case was easy except that It was a challenge to work through the mesh, through the pocket hole to put in the screw. In one case, I had to screw a corner of the meshing to the case because I couldn't maneuver the screwdriver and screw to do it right. All in all, I am still very happy with the lid organizer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lid Organizer, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
works good,screws that come with it are worthless,use a good self tapping screw with a screw gun and it will stay in place.Thats why I gave it a 2 instead of 5,pelican should consider drilling small holes in the standoffs for the screws they supply,or provide self tappers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased..., March 10, 2008
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
The construction is great, as is the concept. However, the lid organizer replaces the foam in your lid. So items that normally were held snugly in place may now slide (or slam) when your case is moved. Since a few of my lenses are vertical, its not worth the risk to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, September 27, 2010
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
Ok first off, yes the picture shown here in Amazon is not the same thing as the actual product. The organizer is indeed meant for the Pelican 1510 and does not have as many pockets/dividers show here. Installation was pretty easy so long as you pre-drill some pilot holes (I used a spare nail and hammer to tap some pilot holes). In terms of build quality the organizer itself is moderate, the zippers are a bit flimsy, but the design is well-thought out. Yes, you do loose some padding after removing the top cover, but in my mind the organization afforded was worth the loss of additional padding. Most of my gear is snugly fit into the bottom part of the case already, therefore I was not that worried about gear shifting and hitting each other. The 1519 is a great way of keeping track of loose cables, batteries, memory cards, Rocket blower, etc. In the end if you have the Pelican 1510, get the organizer. If you're not sure how you'll like it you can always just install some Velcro to the back and swap the padding/organizer in and out as you see fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the Pelican 1510 but installation is a pain!, July 30, 2010
JJ Casas "jjcasas.me" (South San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case (Camera)
I will say I love this lid organizer since it is a must for the photographer who has accessories [memory cards, filters, cables, etc] but geez it's a pain to install! The case is that durable where I [and a friend] had to get the screws and the use a mallet to initially hammer it in. Only until we made a hole is when we can finally screw it in. If I were to do it again, I'd just install industrial strength velcro!

Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 and 1514 Case