Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Style Name: Protect|Color: Black|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on September 6, 2010
I replaced my factory supplied rifle case (for the Sig Sauer 556 Classic SWAT) with the Pelican 1700 because the original case could not fit any mounted optics. Additionally, I wanted to have a forward grip mounted and that wouldn't fit either. The 1700 fits the Sig 556, with optics and forward grip, either with the stock collapsed (barely) or with plenty of room to spare with the stock folded. To fit a folded stock, I cut partially into the top foam (about .75"). I did the same thing for the magazines. I also had room for four standard 30 round magazines, the backup diopter site, a Sig 229R .40, and three magazines for the 229.

Cutting the foam was easier than expected. I initially planned to use a hot nichrome wire to cut the foam from a stencil, but found that a serrated knife worked just fine. I followed the instructions and used chalk to outline, then cut in about 1/4" from the outline. This creates a very snug fit. In the end this was exactly what I was looking for to carry my gear to the range. It's overkill in that I'm sure I could drop the loaded case from a three story building and the gear would survive (and I really don't need that). All that protection adds to the weight, and while I knew it would be heavy, it's a lot heavier than the no frills factory case.

Only things I would change is the non-collapsible side handle and the fact that it won't stand up on the narrow edge with the wheels (minor issues). Here's a tip when arranging your gear: consider the weight distribution so the case is balanced from the handle.
review image
0Comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2013
I got it in 2 days and found it fairly easy to carve the foam with the electric carving knife sprayed with cooking oil. A picture of my Browning Citori should be in the gallery to give you an idea how it fits. Now I am ready to travel with my toy.
on December 20, 2010
RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS A CASE THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME!!!
I purchased this case specifically to travel with and pack my Remington 700 30-06 Long Action with Nikon Monarch 42mm 2.5x10. However, upon seeing the case, I was also able to fit my Sig Sauer P226 9mm (full sized sidearm) in there. Not only that, but I also put in a box of 20 30-06 and a box of 25 9mm rounds. I even had room to put in my earmuffs (that fold). Contined in this very durable, but lightweight case, was my entire hunting arsenal. It was fully complient with the TIA regulations and I had zero fear that the baggage handlers were going to hurt my gear.

Cutting out the foam wasn't too bad. It says to leave a 1/4" around the margins to help hold the items, but I found this to be a bit TOO much and will have to go back and cut out a little bit more. I would be conservative when cutting out the foam b/c though you can glue the foam back in, it probably won't be the same...

I trust Pelican products as these are the cases that we use in the military (I am a Navy Diver) to dive gear, electronics, cameras, etc. These cases are waterproof, will float, and can put up with Navy divers throwing them around.
on October 27, 2014
This is another GREAT case from Pelican. Latches are sturdy but not too stiff to open (even my wife can pop them easily). Two of the four lock holes are reinforced with a metal cover on both halves (the outer two holes)...be careful with the lock you buy - the notch on the lock may catch on the metal when removing the lock. The wheels are smooth but protrude a bit so you can't really stand it on end (which not many shooters would do that anyway). The carry handle on the long edge does not fold, so be aware - only the handle on the short end folds down (Pelican...why?)...that would make this a perfect case if it did.

The case doens't have "pick and pluck" foam...there are three layers - one in the lid, one that removes to be cut and a bottom layer. Not being "pick and pluck" may sound bad at first, but in reality it's much stronger over time. We have multiple other cases that we use to hold tac radios and if you leave the case on it's side over time, the foam compresses from lack of support.

To cut the foam, I used a small razor knife to score the top, then took the turkey-buster electric knife and went to town - was very easy and quick to do. Holds my DDM4V5 with Aimpoint and no mag in the well with room to spare. Also holds 4 30rnd mags (double-stacked) and I still have room for additional gizmo storage...would probably hold it with a 30rnd in the mag but there wouldn't be much room between the optic and the edge of the case. 10/20 round mags would be fine.

Also, the lid doesn't open flat.
on January 9, 2011
In my opinion this is one of the few gun cases that comply with TSA security specification for commercial airline "checked baggage" firearms transportation. Most of the cheap "hard" cases on the market are "not" compliant with the regulations. If you read the requirements and don't want to be delayed during "check-in" you might want to consider this as the way to go.
TSA officers give me the thumbs-up when checking this suitcase and tell me that they wish that everyone else would read the requirements as I did.
Don't take my word for it. Read the individual airline requirements for yourself.
That is all.
on October 21, 2014
This item did not come with the foam that was advertised originally and the description since has been changed.
on July 5, 2013
I've purchased two of these for AR style rifles. I put a Smith and Wesson M&P 22LR in one (bare medal sights) and a Smith and Wesson M&P 5.56 with an Optics package in the other. When its not on my dime, I take these to the Dulles Case Center for a custom foam cutting. With these I cut my own foam. I got a pearing knife from my kitchen and laid the rifle where I wanted it. I traced the rifles with the pearing knife. Once I got the general shape down, I used the full knife length to cut out the rifle. If you take your time, it looks factory cut. When it comes to protecting your gear, there is NOTHING that will top a Pelican Case. You are more likely to break something with your Pelican case than break whats in it. Worth...Every...Penny....
on January 20, 2013
This is mis-advertised as coming with Pelican's Pick & Pluck Foam. It does not. Take it from me, this is the 4th Pelican case I have purchased on Amazon, and all came as advertised with the right foam, until now. The foam in this is 3 equal size sheets about 2 inches thick each, one for the lid and two in the bottom. Not happy about possibly having to buy the $88 foam set so can customize to fit my weapon.
Otherwise, solid Pelican product as usual. Wheels should be smaller so could stand on end without rolling, by tilting opposite direction. Closes securely, good folding handles, and and four holes for locks (2 are reinforced with metal).
on May 14, 2016
Had to get another

First was that good

Had to get one more for my other toy

End of story

But this tank

Don't buy wannabe, Plano gets crushed and flexes and doesn't get the job done

This does
on January 31, 2016
I really love this case. Extremely durable and will hold a lot depending on your configuration. I have an AR15, 3 magazines, 2 suppressors, and 2 handguns with a few extra accessories.

I recommend watching youtube videos for tips on cutting the foam, but its a piece of cake with an electric knife. Just be sure to cut a few starting points with a pocket knife or boxcutter.

My only "negative" for this case would be that I wished it came with the pluck and pull foam, but I knew it didn't ahead of time. If you are looking for a durable, long lasting storage and traveling solution for your firearms, you owe it to yourself to check out this case. You wont be disappointed.