5.0 out of 5 stars Overkill comes at a weight expense
Published on September 6, 2010 by William S. Dubel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as described
The description said it had Pelican's Pick N'Pluck foam. It did not.Do not have the time to sending it back because I needed for a trip in a day and a half so I'm going to have to deal with it.

This is a problem with Amazon's description and not with the manufacturer after checking pelicans website it describes this model with solid foam.
Published on September 21, 2011 by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Overkill comes at a weight expense, September 6, 2010
I replaced my factory supplied rifle case (for the Sig Sauer 556 Classic SWAT) with the Pelican 1700 because the original case could not fit any mounted optics. Additionally, I wanted to have a forward grip mounted and that wouldn't fit either. The 1700 fits the Sig 556, with optics and forward grip, either with the stock collapsed (barely) or with plenty of room to spare with the stock folded. To fit a folded stock, I cut partially into the top foam (about .75"). I did the same thing for the magazines. I also had room for four standard 30 round magazines, the backup diopter site, a Sig 229R .40, and three magazines for the 229.

Cutting the foam was easier than expected. I initially planned to use a hot nichrome wire to cut the foam from a stencil, but found that a serrated knife worked just fine. I followed the instructions and used chalk to outline, then cut in about 1/4" from the outline. This creates a very snug fit. In the end this was exactly what I was looking for to carry my gear to the range. It's overkill in that I'm sure I could drop the loaded case from a three story building and the gear would survive (and I really don't need that). All that protection adds to the weight, and while I knew it would be heavy, it's a lot heavier than the no frills factory case.

Only things I would change is the non-collapsible side handle and the fact that it won't stand up on the narrow edge with the wheels (minor issues). Here's a tip when arranging your gear: consider the weight distribution so the case is balanced from the handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Case EVER, December 20, 2010
Jonny B (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS A CASE THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME!!!
I purchased this case specifically to travel with and pack my Remington 700 30-06 Long Action with Nikon Monarch 42mm 2.5x10. However, upon seeing the case, I was also able to fit my Sig Sauer P226 9mm (full sized sidearm) in there. Not only that, but I also put in a box of 20 30-06 and a box of 25 9mm rounds. I even had room to put in my earmuffs (that fold). Contined in this very durable, but lightweight case, was my entire hunting arsenal. It was fully complient with the TIA regulations and I had zero fear that the baggage handlers were going to hurt my gear.

Cutting out the foam wasn't too bad. It says to leave a 1/4" around the margins to help hold the items, but I found this to be a bit TOO much and will have to go back and cut out a little bit more. I would be conservative when cutting out the foam b/c though you can glue the foam back in, it probably won't be the same...

I trust Pelican products as these are the cases that we use in the military (I am a Navy Diver) to dive gear, electronics, cameras, etc. These cases are waterproof, will float, and can put up with Navy divers throwing them around.

5.0 out of 5 stars TSA compliant, January 9, 2011
Brice (TALLAHASSEE, FL, US) - See all my reviews
In my opinion this is one of the few gun cases that comply with TSA security specification for commercial airline "checked baggage" firearms transportation. Most of the cheap "hard" cases on the market are "not" compliant with the regulations. If you read the requirements and don't want to be delayed during "check-in" you might want to consider this as the way to go.
TSA officers give me the thumbs-up when checking this suitcase and tell me that they wish that everyone else would read the requirements as I did.
Don't take my word for it. Read the individual airline requirements for yourself.
That is all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, great rifle case!, April 1, 2011
I ordered the the 1700 on Amazon after an extensive search online. This was by far the best price. The item was shipped quickly and I received it in perfect condition. I really like the case. It is tough as nails and exceeded my expectations. I would buy this case again in a heart beat.

If there was one negative it was having to cut the foam. There did not seem to any great way to do this. I did it myself and it didn't come out half bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as described, September 21, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Pelican quality, May 10, 2010
This is like every other Pelican product I have seen--excellant. The only slight issue is that the main handle doesn't fold down, technically making the case exceed airline luggage size restrictions. Southwest didn't seem to care, although I was prepared to cut that handle off to avoid the $50.00 oversize penalty. A great case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interior dimensions, March 3, 2010
Gregory Young (Sonoma County, CA) - See all my reviews
This is one sturdy little puppy--you can stand on it. But be warned: the interior dimensions are 36" x 24" x 4.5", and it's not all usable. Inside the case you will find two 1.5" slabs of foam in the bottom of the case, and another single piece in the top. You are supposed to trace lines around your equipment on one of the bottom pieces--leaving at least an inch of foam along the sides. Then cut out the holes you traced with an electric carving knife. That means the depth of the cutout is 1.5"--the thickness of one piece of foam. For me, 1.5 inches is not enough to hold my scoped M4 with a laser on a side rail. Even cutting into the top and bottom pieces (which you are not supposed to do) will not give me enough room. So I'll have to dismount the laser for transport, which is a real pain.

Pros:
Really, really tough.
Reinforced lock holes
Wheels
Watertight (claimed) with automatic pressure equalization

Cons:
Heavy!
Interior is small for exterior size

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, October 10, 2008
Pelican has always made long-lasting, quality products with a fantastic warranty. It is more expensive, but that's the expense of quality. If you buy an expensive item, don't skimp on the case, you want something to guarantee its protection. I highly recommend Pelican products for any storage and transportation needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything and then some!, July 5, 2013
Bingo Fuel (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pelican 1700 Long Case with Foam (Black) (Camera)
I've purchased two of these for AR style rifles. I put a Smith and Wesson M&P 22LR in one (bare medal sights) and a Smith and Wesson M&P 5.56 with an Optics package in the other. When its not on my dime, I take these to the Dulles Case Center for a custom foam cutting. With these I cut my own foam. I got a pearing knife from my kitchen and laid the rifle where I wanted it. I traced the rifles with the pearing knife. Once I got the general shape down, I used the full knife length to cut out the rifle. If you take your time, it looks factory cut. When it comes to protecting your gear, there is NOTHING that will top a Pelican Case. You are more likely to break something with your Pelican case than break whats in it. Worth...Every...Penny....

3.0 out of 5 stars SOLID FOAM pain, January 20, 2013
This is mis-advertised as coming with Pelican's Pick & Pluck Foam. It does not. Take it from me, this is the 4th Pelican case I have purchased on Amazon, and all came as advertised with the right foam, until now. The foam in this is 3 equal size sheets about 2 inches thick each, one for the lid and two in the bottom. Not happy about possibly having to buy the $88 foam set so can customize to fit my weapon.
Otherwise, solid Pelican product as usual. Wheels should be smaller so could stand on end without rolling, by tilting opposite direction. Closes securely, good folding handles, and and four holes for locks (2 are reinforced with metal).

Pelican 1700 Long Case with Foam (Black)
$327.95 $189.95