Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pelican 1750 Long Case with Foam (Desert Tan) - Pelican 1750-000-190
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Desert Tan|Change

on September 8, 2012
We used these for my tours in baghdad and Central America with special ops, and never had a problem, so when I saw the pelican cases on civilian purchase I snared one years ago. This is my third one, as I now hunt with my kids and that means several weapons.
Bottom line: the gorillas at the airline baggage system cannot hurt your weapon or scope once it is in this case.
Simple setup: put your weapon on the foam, draw an outline. Use anything you want to cut the outline (they sell fancy melting wires, not needed if you can handle a kitchen knife without severing a digit) out of the middle foam layer. Your weapon will then be cradled with firm foam intact layer on the bottom, form fitting cut out soft layer around it, and then another firm layer on top.
The foam is just the beginning of the protection. The case seals solid with 4 lockable snaps. The wheels roll well and are protected. It is relatively light and easy to handle.
Buy the extra foam and you can use it for more than one type of rifle, just switch out the custom cut layer.
I can fit 2 hunting rifles, even 1ar15 and a hunting rifle in a single case.
You can also cut out for one rifle and optics.
It will only fit one African safari type rifle due to barrel length and muzzle brake.
War story: we once accidentally dropped one of these cases with a sniper rifle in it from about 80 feet off the back of a chopper when the pilot flared in a aggressive pattern too high. When we got on the ground and recovered the weapon, it was still sighted in and scope was intact. Don't try this at home.
33 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2014
We used these as tool boxes in field support and withstood years of getting beat up, so when I was looking for a case for my rifle system I knew I had to have this case to protect my fire arms. Over the years I've only seen 2 problems with this case: 1) The old style latch broke off, which this one has the new style latches. 2) I've seen a wheel missing once and have no idea how that happened at all. Now that it's 2014, I believe these are none existent issues as those were more than a decade ago.

We used closed cell foam in our tool boxes but this comes with solid open cell foam (not pluck-n-pick). This foam is easy to work with and I highly suggest you put a $12 electrical carving knife in your cart as that's the best way to cut this stuff out for your custom fit jobs. I gave a shot with some wire heated knives and it was just too sloppy and went back to the carving knife. The open cell foam WILL start getting crusty over the years as you pull gear in and out of it, so another trick is to get a can aerosol of Plasti-dip and spray that over the top of the foam after you've made your cut outs. Keeps it holding together much longer and has a great feel to it, great investment for the long run with this case.

I think this is a great size for a case if you want more than just one weapon in one carrying case or a full system for the range. I have a 20" LWRCI REPR, 13.5" scope (with 2" sunshade), Atlas bipod, 4x 20rd Pmags, Glock 17, and 8x 9mm mags. Other shooters have a 16" AR-15, a shotgun, and a pistol for 3-gunning in a box but I just have other needs...but this is the case for 3-gunners I bet!

In the top foam I just have a few orange Desiccant sardine cans (please don't buy blue-to-pink) and behind it just some ziplock bags of allen wrenches, star wrenches, range log book, tools that just come with hard parts, and a bore snake; Basic essentials IMO.

I could rant on about this case, but in a nutshell: If you drifted onto this case or were suggested to get it, put it in the cart and do it. The knock-offs are still trying to put out a case like this in a cheaper price range but they just will never do it like Pelican does. If you were looking at the smaller Storm case, don't do it...you'll eventually want more stuff in one box and foam is only $20 at taht time. This is a very tough case, It protects your gear if you cut out the foam and place parts properly, and above all it is approved as a gun case as well as TSA approved. This last part is very important as not all cases that CAN hold guns are approved as actually being gun cases in some locations.
review image
on January 23, 2013
This is the 4th Pelican case I own, the other three being smaller hand carry cases. This is also the first one I have an issue with. When I received the case I noticed that the axle that goes through the wheel bearing and attaches the wheel to the case is too short and does not support the wheel on both sides which allows it to pivot and rub against the case and causes the wheels to bind and do not spin freely. The case came this way from the factory where either someone used the wrong part or they intentionally installed the wrong length metal rod for whatever reason. I contacted Pelican via their online email form and have yet to get a response several weeks later to correct the problem. Other than that issue the case is excellent like all of them and well worth the money. The handles are very heavy duty. I have been able to fit a remington 700 26" barrel with large scope, and a mossberg 590a1 with adjustable stock and pistol grip into this case comfortably as well as a cleaning rod and a couple of dessicant packs. I would recommend that to cut the foam you pick up some of the long (4-5") razor blades to allow you to cut through the entire layer of foam in one pass to give a much cleaner finished product.

Overall highly recommended, despite the quality issue with the wheels I would buy this again.

*Update 2/7/13*

Finally got ahold of someone at Pelican customer service after a 2nd email. They were helpful and mailed the replacement parts out immediately no questions asked. Now my wheels function properly with the correct size axle pins! They also sent new wheels which I did not request. Perhaps I would have gotten a faster response with a simple phone call but in the end they did resolve my issue.
on October 16, 2011
The Bottom foam sheet is cut short by pelican by 1 3/4 of an inch. It allows the foam to lay flat in front of the wheel mold of the case. But it means if you were going to have two foam templates one would be short on one end. There is no foam protection in the wheel mold area. They could cut the two bottom case sheets the same and they would fit. This would give that bottom sheet 100% protection.
on December 24, 2015
This is the case to judge all other cases against.

Sighted in the rifle scope, loaded it in the case and drove form Florida to Mississippi to go hunting. Pulled it out of the case and proceeded to knock down multiple deer and hogs at over 400yrds

Came home and pulled it out of the case to check the sights again. Hit bullseye again and again. Case rode in the bed of the truck the entire time through multiple rain storms. Never leaked, never lost true on the sight and everything stayed protected.

Cant say enough about these cases.
review image
on February 2, 2013
While the case itself is a bit on the heavy side, this tank of a case will go to heck and back to keep whatever you put in it safe, sound and secure. Easy to carry, or wheel around, opens easily and lays flat when open. Plenty of room for even the largest of guns.. Foam is supple yet firm at the name time and once custom configured is like a vise grip holding your gear what ever that may be..solid, durable and watertight you can rest soundly knowing your gear is safe.. Several padlock securing tabs to lock you gear safely away..
on January 29, 2015
I thought when is said comes with Foam that it would be the standard pick N pluck but it came with normal foam. No bid deal for me since I plan to have some custom foam inserts made to fit the rifles that I will carry in this.

this is my third Pelican case of various sizes and simply I could not say anything negative about them. They are build like a tank. These are quality cases that I can travel even on airlines with 4K plus specialty rifles and scopes and have no fear of damage regardless of how much or how far the baggage guy wants to toss the case. The waterproof design is great for moving in all weather conditions without any worries about the contents getting wet or humid. The SS lock reinforcements look and function great for heavy duty padlocks. Wheels roll smoothly.

Simply the best cases I have ever owned. They are pricey compared to other cases but if you want a case that will last you a lifetime and protect what ever you put in it, then you cant' beat the quality of a Pelican.
on June 11, 2012
Simply cut the center foam layer (there is one in the lid, one in the base and the center one to cut) and your rifle(s) could likely fall out of the aircraft at 10,000 feet and still keep its zero. I got one specifically for my Encore (it'll fit the rifle and 2 barrels w/scopes and another for the other various scoped, black powder and shotgun barrels. Throw them on the plane or in the pickup and I'm ready for anything anywhere in the world.

I'm getting another two for safari this fall for assurance with my new 458 Lott and 300 RUM arriving in one piece. If they can destroy a Pelican 1750 there's no hope for anything arriving safely.
on March 1, 2015
This is a nice case [insert standard Pelican case stuff here regarding toughness, durability, etc... it's all very true with this case.] However, my reason for this review is to warn commercial airline travelers that they will be stopped constantly with this case, regardless of the contents. I had to use this case to carry some photography equipment out of country (tripod legs) and of all the containers, this was the only one I had to have inspected eveywhere. It really wasn't a big deal, but this intended to be more an FYI. In otherwords, a hard-sided golf bag might be less time consuming than dragging around a case that is assumed to carry a weapon. Of course, if you need a bullet-proof (figurtivley speaking) case that will make it out and back with all wheels still attached, this one's a gem.
on April 22, 2016
This case is the best. I've read that other people bought the Storm IM 3300 and that it had better latches than the 1750. But they found out that the Storm case leaked while in the back of a truck going through rain. Once I heard that I did a quick test to see if that could happen to mine by putting one inch strips of paper spaced 4" apart all the way around the sealing edge of the case. After closing and latching the case I pulled on them one by one and they all ripped in half at the o-ring. That means the seal is dong its job and shouldn't leak. I'm very confidant this case will take what I give it and more. I couldn't be happier with it.