5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite kayak I own!, March 22, 2009
I bought the Pelican Castaway a couple years ago and it has held up beautifully. I own another kayak, a row boat and a paddle boat but this is by far my favourite craft to cruise the lake on. My young son always makes a bee line for it when we head down to the lake. As kayaks go, this one is manoeuvrable and stable. I have paddled part of a small lake standing on it (to win a bet). Between the two water proof hatches and 3 fishing rod holders, I am able to focus on the paddling. The cup holder leaves something to be desired but you can buy add-ons to improve it, if that is important to you. I like the Castaway sit-on-top so much I'm considering a second one, so I don't have to race my son for it everytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely worth the price, May 18, 2009
after reading some negative reviews i wasnt sure what i was getting myself into but after trying this kayak out in the surf in south texas i am very pleased. it handled very well and was easy to get in to at about waist high water with 2 foot swells. once i was on the kayak, i had no problem going through and over waves. the only problem i noticed was that it liked to turn back towards the ocean when i was going back in. this could have been due to the current or possibly bad tracking on the kayaks part. i have read many reviews about it taking on water through the storage hatch.....first off, im not sure why the made the storage hatch open when the lid is off, i.e. it goes throughout the kayak and isnt just two or three inches deep.......thereby making it possible to fill up with water and sink.....however, after spending 45 minutes getting bombarded by waves that were coming over the hatch and hitting me, it only took in about a quart of water total.....all i did was tighten the straps down as tight as possible and made sure the hatch was covering the entire hole. a little foam insulation will cure the problem. definitely not a reason to give this cheaper, yet promising kayak a bad rating by any means. i got it with an employee discount from my sporting goods store (Academy, 379 without discount, half the price it is on here) for 322 which is simply unbeatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smallmouth Stealth Destroyer!!!, May 26, 2012
This review is from: Pelican Boats Castaway 116 Angler Sit-on-Top Kayak (Sports)
I bought this kayak in 2008 and have fished it hard on my local river. This is one of the best tracking boats I have paddled, this being my second attempt at a fishing setup. My first kayak was a Field & Stream sit-in model, though it had a daytime dry pack and a center console with rod holder I found it difficult to fish from. You had no place for tackle or cooler. All the problems I had with my first kayak have been replaced with ease of use. This kayak has a great bow storage compartment big enough to fit my paddle, anchor, tackle box, net, seat cushion, minnow bucket, tie-down straps, soft cooler, and fishing pole all inside for easy transport. When you are on the water the stern bay is perfect for cooler, and tackle I can easily reach back for whatever I need. The daytime dry pack is big enough for phones, keys, wallets, camera, with no worry of water penetration. The three rod holders work well. I attached a carbiner on the rear were the handle ties on to act as a guide for my anchor, I run the rope through the guide and up to where the included cleat is on the left hand side making a few wraps around to hold it secure. On the water when I come to a good spot I let down the anchor (always at the back of boat) and stop to fish, with this approach my kayak is always pointed down stream in perfect "stealth position"("first kayak" anchor pulled you side ways, pain in the As*). My father purchased himself one not long after I got mine, and have been the envy of my fishing buddies ever since. If you are looking for a good fishing setup for rivers and lakes (never paddled surf) this is a great boat. I caught the largest spotted bass of my life sitting in three feet of water, she swam right under me "stealth position" and couldn't wait to grab my bait. I'm sure this boat will bring you stories of your own, couldn't recommend this boat more!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pelican Casrtaway 116, June 20, 2011
New to kayaking but have no trouble fishing out of these. Seem quite stable. Bought two, one for my wife and my self. 1st time out paddled about 3 miles while fishing effortlessly. Seem like a good buy for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars CastAway 116, August 14, 2009
I bought this Pelican Castaway 116 kayak and have rigged an anchor system and milk crate to her. She also has a new lighter paddle. The only thing to add is scupper plugs but other then that it is a great kayak. Tracking problems disappear after a couple of outings. I believe most of the complaints are from short people who naturally have trouble with a lot of equipment. I am 6'2" and can reach everything and you can sit side saddle too. The kayak is quick to get moving and out of the way of river tree snags. It is also very easy to get back on if you go for a swim. The weight is 65lb and fits a long bed pick up perfectly. You can load two or three fulling rigged full length rods in the front hatch (sweet). I use the yak on rivers and lakes in Nebraska.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kayak, March 28, 2010
I own this kayak. I got from Academy sports for $411 after taxes. Great kayak!!! Upgraded with fishfinder, anchor trolley system, livewell, and outriggers. All done with ease. FULLY RECOMMEND!!!

Rate and Discover Movies