5.0 out of 5 stars great camera case
Published on April 22, 2009 by R. Hammer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great case, but needs better wheels and more padding
Published 18 months ago by John

3.0 out of 5 stars Great case, but needs better wheels and more padding, May 17, 2013
This review is from: Pelican Large Hardware and Accessory Case with Padded Dividers 1560-004-110 (Camera)
I travel everywhere with my camera and lenses. As I accumulate more and more gear, my setup has gotten increasingly expensive so I felt the need to get this wheeled case. Its durable, waterproof (can float) and there is no way it can be crushed in a car. This is over the legal carry-on limit, but I bet you the TSA and most airlines in the United States would turn a blind eye. Pelican offers a lifetime warranty where they will replace any parts that you break.

While I thoroughly enjoy this case, nothing is without some shortcomings. The wheels are not of the roller-blade variety like on most wheeled carry-ons and there is no active suspension system like on my Samsonite hardcase where bumps are better absorbed. Pelican needs to use the roller-blade wheels and come up with a better suspension system because photography professionals are using this basically as carry-on luggage with their very expensive gear. People are running to the gate to get to their plane and roller-blade like wheels would get them moving just a little quicker. While I think the setup as it is probably absorbs bumps well enough, I would feel better with larger roller-blade like wheels that could better take a bump especially when I have thousands of dollars in lenses in the case. Im going to look into replacing the wheels on this case myself with the roller-blade type.

The padded dividers could use a bit more. I doubled the padding on the bottom of the case by the wheels and on the sides using foam I had around here. In compartments where I was storing an expensive lens, I was sure to put more padding. The padding provided is your basic variety. I am guessing they only used so much because they didnt want to crowd the box and reduce the storage. So if you put lenses or cameras in here, think about doubling up the padding in the spaces you put these items.

Actually I just looked at the wheels right now. I had wheeled the case down about 3 city blocks on a New York City sidewalk and they look a little chewed up. In comparison, on my Samsonite luggage which I have wheeled around the country at various airports and streets that has the Roller-blade like wheels there is not so much wear. I have a feeling I will be calling Pelican about these wheels in the future.

So this case will protect your gear and will make it through a bad storm to boot, but I dont think it was made for the traveler who wheels their stuff through every street and airport. This is an easy modification however for Pelican. The case needs larger roller-blade like wheels.

If you are looking for a good lock for this case, then I suggested the Abus 170/40 (3 digit combination) or the Abus 41/40 (keyed) with the 1/4 inch diameter shackle. For TSA locks, Sesamee makes a heavy duty version with a 1/4 inch shackle which fits, however, I am not too crazy about the construction. The Abus lock has latches on both sides and seems a lot stronger. Here is the Abus lock that I have with my case. I posted pictures. It fits perfectly. I use the TSA lock for airport travel, but once out of the airport the Abus locks go on:

If you want the highest security padlock which can fit this case then there is the Abus 88/40 plus. Its pricey, but its the padlock which offers the best security.

There are quite a few more Abus locks which will fit on there too. Look for a lock which has shackle with a 1/4 inch diameter.
Any padlock can be cut by a bolt cutter, but I prefer to have the best lock available then none. So the Abus 41/40, 170/40 and 88/40 are the best ones available for this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera case, April 22, 2009
I got this case to pack my photography gear in while flying. I fit two full size DSLRs, a 500mm F4L, 580EX flash, 70-200mm F2.8L, batteries, cards, etc. Everything is custom fit via the pick and pluck foam. Although not officially a carry-on size, it does fit in overhead bins and every time I've traveled I've had no issue carrying this on board. The built-in roller wheels added a lot of ease for navigating the airport. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVY duty!, August 17, 2013
When our sweet church family gave us a monetary going-away gift, I ordered 2 of these to try to corral our ever expanding photography equipment. The cases are very heavy-duty (with the emphasis on HEAVY) and feels as if they could take the abuse from the proverbial 'gorilla'! (for those of you who are old enough to remember the American Tourister ads of the 70's, you understand...if you aren't, you can see them on YouTube :-) However, they ARE very, very heavy, so I don't think I would use them as a carry on (and they might not even fit in the overhead compartments, even if you were strong enough to lift them, fully loaded, up there). But, for what we wanted, they are perfect. We have 2 dslrs, assorted lenses, speed lights, filters, batteries, and all the assorted 'little junk' that goes along with it--in each case. As we were leaving the Northeast for the Southeast, I also purchased some desicant packs to go in them to protect our equipment from the humidity. So far, so good. The padding seems quite adequate, and we ordered the attachable lid organizers from B&H camera to go with them. I feel that our stuff is as protected as we can possibly make it and I am very satisfied. As far durability of handle, wheels, etc., I won't be able to speak, as we basically use ours to store our stuff in and protect it when we travel. It would be quite bulky to carry one along on a shoot, but I suspect that I may do that with some of the senior portrait shoots in outside settings where I have to trek thru weeds, over rocks, and wade through all sorts of underbrush to get to my desired locations. I have no doubt that these cases can take it, tho. I seriously doubt that I'll wear them out in my lifetime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pelican 1560 awesome product, November 9, 2013
If you're looking for something a little bit bigger then the Pelican 1510 for you camera gear this is the case. Solid all around not really portable for jungle shoots but perfect for weddings and small kine off the grid shoots. Also works perfect as a chair while waiting around and also as a small step stool to get a little bit more elevated for a shot. Hands down great price/solid product ill be ordering another one for strobe gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The pelican, October 12, 2013
This product is great. Easy to use and well manufactured. Debated buying because of price but well worth every penny. Buying one more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case!, August 22, 2013
The case arrived on time, maybe even a day ahead of schedule. It is fantastic! Very easy to create your own layout of where the foam insert will lie to best protect your items to carry. Wheels are functional and smooth. Would definitely purchase again and recommend for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, tough as nails!, July 4, 2013
Brought this case for work. I travel 2 weeks out of every 3 and this case has survived all the abuse that airlines can dish out. It really is as tough as nails

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Pelican, March 28, 2013
I bought this to house a digital oscilloscope and its various cables. After cutting out the foam to snugly hold the equipment and inserting a desiccant pack to make sure no water condensation occurs, I'm confident that it will be exactly as I left it the next time I open the case.

While Pelican cases are expensive, they're quite rugged. I have used another (much larger) case as a suitcase while traveling internationally, and while I've had other luggage get squished the Pelican always comes through perfectly intact (though perhaps a little scratched). This is my third Pelican case and it won't be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuff as nails and lots of room!!!, December 11, 2012
It arrived all boxed up - I took it out and was pleased with the thickness and the stoutness of the case. It comes with the organizer center and the egg foam for the lid. It was a good thing I purchased the lid organizer so that the smaller pieces of my collection could have a place to nestle without getting lost in the case.

The organizer (for the whole box) is a good idea, as it lets you set up how YOU use the contents. I know that my camera's and my lenses are well protected within the confines of the Pelican box!!! Not only that.................but it also has wheels with a pull out handle.!!! I did not expect this, so this was an unexpected surprise. (But very welcomed :-} )

5.0 out of 5 stars Think-Tank killer, March 17, 2014
Why would you buy those flimsy over-priced suitcase-type camera bags over one of these bigger, cheaper, solid, waterproof beauties? Holds two D800s, the holy trinity of F/2.8 zooms, 4 prime lenses, 3 flashes, flash triggers, all batteries and chargers, filters, cleaning equipment - the lot. It weighs a ton of course, but this thing has proper wheels, which if they do eventually fail (that should take a while), Pelican will replace them free of charge.
No longer do I lug 4 bags to every shoot (I still have one other larger case for lighting kit of course). The other great thing is that all the kit is kept in one place in the house too.
Worth noting for UK buyers that I got this a LOT cheaper via a US seller on Amazon.com - less than £200 after delivery and import taxes!