Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 9, 2004
This book is definitely a hidden treasure! The first half of the book goes over basic skills and techniques, design, perspective...the essentials. Then each subsequent chapter tackles a specific aspect of landscape drawings; trees, water, buildings, animals...I mean it covers it all. I am currently a Landscape Architecture student and picked up this book as a way to boost my skills. If you read through it and follow the tips you will be surprised at your progress. Once again, Highly Recommended!
on May 20, 2004
I highly recommend this book. I first read "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and this book is a great follow up to it for anyone who thinks they cannot draw! I could hardly draw legible stick figures and now carry a sketch book with me wherever I go. Mr. Metzger has a way of writing that seems to speak to you at whatever level you are at in drawing. His examples are excellant. Tips abound. GET THIS BOOK!
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2007
It describes how to interpret nature and useful techniques at drafting what you see. I got a lot out of this book. The artwork is fabulous. This book is a great starting point for an adventure in nature and landscape.
on June 22, 2008
This is an excellent book for the beginner. It covers materials, perspective, techniques, and has excellent examples. I bought several different "learn to draw with pencil" books at the same time from different authors, because they all have different techniques. This is my favorite.
on March 9, 2009
Pencil Magic is clearly written and is a valuable resource for beginning artists and experts alike. I have three of Phil Metzger's books and can highly recommend them all. My interest in this book was to improve my pencil sketching skills in preparation for watercolor painting. This book is aimed at landscape drawing and covers all the necessary subjects including the basics, measuring, landscape elements, perspective, and design. Many detailed examples and exercises are included.
on August 5, 2007
I love the more detailed drawings seen in this book. Alot of pencil drawing technique books look dark and smudged. Phil Metzger has used a wonderful talent to help others. I generally try to be more photorealistic in the pictures I draw in pencil or pen and ink and this book was one of the most helpful I have found. Buy it Buy it Buy it if you really enjoy drawing and want others to see what you were looking at when you drew it.
on April 12, 2012
No book can teach you to draw, practice is the only teacher, but what to practice?

This book may not go over every topic in great depth, but it is the only book that has a page or two for the most important topics that you must practice in order to be able to see good results from the pencil.
VINE VOICEon May 12, 2014
We were at the Getty Museum in LA and my middle school aged daughter saw a woman sketching the building. Always curious, she went over to watch and the woman kindly talked to her. The sketcher recommended this book to my daughter and I am very grateful she took the time to talk to my daughter and mention it. I purchased it from Amazon and it has been a great resource - tons of technique and tips and actually teaches you how to draw if you are patient enough to go through page by page and follow the detailed explanations.

As the other reviewers noted, it really seems to be head and above the other how to draw and how to sketch books out there, even if it is a tad expensive, it is worth it if you or a child is interesting in the mechanics of how to draw.
on February 26, 2012
Metzger has done it again. This book is not only very infromative, it is also a pleasure to read. Metzger's writting style shines through the techniques. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is new to drawing or anyone who is looking to sharpen their skills.
on May 19, 2013
It covers a little bit of everything and the step-by-step tutorials were just what I wanted. I definitely recommend this for any beginner to intermediate artist looking to improve your landscape drawing skills.