5.0 out of 5 stars Very Smooth
Published on February 16, 2009 by Squirrel Dad

3.0 out of 5 stars would not buy again
Purchased the 2000 last fall, used it about 12 times doing inshore saltwater in florida. Had to have it repaired three times already: first time for tight/hard drag, had it cleaned and adjusted; 2nd time for the spring on the bail broke, had it replaced and finally, the anti reverse function did not work. Must of got a lemon. Looking to buy the Battle 3000 or 4000 soon.
Published on May 15, 2012 by Justfishing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Smooth, February 16, 2009
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
I bought this reel for surf fishing in Southern Cal. Most of them people I fish and communicate with use Shimano, but I thought I would be differerent, plus I own a Slammer and like it. For the price I think it is great. It has lasted me through my first season with no problems. I have dunked it once and thrown it another time. I hand this reel to the shimano fans and they are impressed by the smoothness. The drag seems good, but I haven't hooked into anything big enough to put it to the test yet. Perfect in my opinion for a light surf fishing outfit, it is currently paired with a shimano convergance 12'6" L rod and spooled with 6 lb fireline crystal.

3.0 out of 5 stars would not buy again, May 15, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Penn Sargus 5000 Review, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
I own the Sargus 5000 reel and what a beauty. This reel has become my go to reel from popping plugs to chucking bait. It is smooth, casts great and has the drag and power to let big fish run, stop them and reel them in. I bought this reel in the early part of the summer of 2011 and I have caught many a striper, blues and fluke with it. Biggest striper to date so far was 41 inches, a 35 inch blue and a 25 inch fluke and the reel handle them all with ease. I have also reeled in two big skates with my reel, now they don't fight much, they just lay dead and bury themselves in the sand but this reel had no problem pulling them off the bottom, it also helps to have a great rod for that too. I even caught a nice 10 pound false albie from the surf with it. After four and half months of heavy use, my reel is still out of the box smooth. Only complaint is that it scratches too easily, but it is metal and that is what happens. Great reel, I also have the Penn Fierce 4000 and I just bought the Sargus big brother, the Penn Battle 7000 because of how much I love my Sargus and Penn reels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and smooth, July 15, 2012
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
I received this reel for fathers day. I have the 3000 series and have taken on the water twice. I paired this reel with a Penn Legion MH 7' rod. The combo works great while being really light. I spooled the reel with some Power Pro 30lb braid. This braid is the same size size as 8lb mono. I really like this reel. I would buy another for other family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars half price at sports authority...get it now, May 28, 2012
jeff figal (Chino Hills, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
who cares if its made in china, just take care of it.
clean it after every use.
did i mention i got it for 45 bucks??

1.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Crap, Not what you would expect from Penn, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
I take good care of my reels and I have some older Penn spinning reels that are still going strong after years of use. This reel is not like those. I ordered two Sargus 6000s, and right out of the box they are real smooth and seem like great reels. 6 months later there are coatings peeling off the drag knob, one of them has a tiny broken spring that makes the reel totally inoperable, and Penn says they won't have that part for at least 2 more months. Thanks Penn, great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
I give this a 5 for the cost vs quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beast of a reel but super smooth!, May 11, 2014
Ordered the 7000, got the 8000. Happy about that.. It's a beast of a reel yet super smooth. I own 6 of these now.
Handled great off the coast for lingcod and black cod. Heading back out this week!

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best for the money, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
I bought 2 of these at ftu and one still works good the other is done..hardly fished with them im moving on from penn not the best for the dollar ...i also bought a penn pursuit 1 8000 which is better than sargus imo...alot of people like them but the drag isnt strong enogh imo havent caught anythjng bigger than 10lbs and it not smooth drag....its probably tied with shakespeare...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reel, September 14, 2013
CMB "CMB" (Pacific NW, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (Sports)
Solid little reel. I plan on using this to hook some salmon this fall in the pacific nw. I have the bigger versions and have had no problems.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Penn Sargus Spinning Reel (230-Yard, 17-Pound)
$89.95 $70.72
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies