On the Pentax Q itself, do see my review here on Amazon.

Published on February 17, 2012 by Michael A. Duvernois

Published on August 1, 2012 by Nathan D Jedinak

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully built, but not an essential purchase for Q owners, August 1, 2012
Nathan D Jedinak (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
The first thing you notice when you handle the Q Zoom is the quality--this is one of the smoothest zoom lenses I've ever used, regardless of price. Although the manual focus ring is a little less of a quality feel, being light plastic and prone to scratching, much of the res of the lens is metal or heavily built, and the zoom action is very well damped giving a very luxurious feel. In today's world, this is the only wide angle and portrait length lens for the Q that has a full bevy of useful features like autofocus... But other than the novelty of being able to shoot those focal lengths on the Q, this lens makes less sense than you might think. Why wouldn't you want a fantastically wel built zoom lens for your Q? Two things--size and image quality.

The size of the zoom is tiny compared with other interchangeable lens camera zooms, but huge compared to any collapsing built in zoom on a small-sensor a. And therein lies the problem--the Q approaches the size of the Somy Nex 5 when the zoom is attached, which really negates the main size advantage the Q has over that and other mirror less cameras.

I could forgive the size if the image quality was superb because, after all, it does handle extremely well and is very fluid to shoot with... But the image quality is somewhat disappointing. It's ok, certainly not bad, and I have made some beautiful photos with it. But it's clear the Zoom doesn't have the resolution the Q's tiny high-res sensor demands, and the contrast is also lower than the 01 Prime and 03 Fisheye. The resulting images look more like they came from any other compact camera and not the little wonder that is the Q.

It's not horrible, by any stretch, and if you need the focal length range and/or want the Q to be your only camera, it's a sensible choice. If you use your Q more as a niche, fun, carryall shooter, though... I'd pass and wait for wide and tele primes that match the quality of the 01 Prime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality, probably the lens that most consumers want for their Q, February 17, 2012
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
On the Pentax Q itself, do see my review here on Amazon.

For most prospective Pentax Q users, they'll be coming from a compact camera and will be used to a general purpose zoom on that lens. While the included 8.5mm (47mm in equivalent on a 35mm body) fast prime lens is quite nice, it's very different from what most folks are used to. Hence this lens. It covers the typical compact zoom range from about 28mm to about 85mm (small variations on each end are barely noticeable). The lens is well built, but definitely adds significantly to the Q's tiny size.

Image quality? Yeah, well, it's okay, you've got a small sensor and a relatively inexpensive zoom so you get okay images as a result. It's not a DSLR but smaller. It's a compact camera but with interchangeable lenses and better build quality.

For myself, I prefer the f 1.9 prime lens that comes with the Q, and am intrigued by the fisheye and "toy" lenses. But if you need a "normal" zoom for your Q, this is the option.

I hope to see a long, perhaps ultra-zoom, for this small sensor package coming along soon...

Full disclosure: Item was received for the purpose of review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar performer, January 26, 2013
Ken Shapero "kshapero" (Southern Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
The more I used the more it grew on me. Love the versatility of this lens. At an aperture f2.8 at it's widest I can shoot low light.

5.0 out of 5 stars good lens, good focal range, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
I've had really good luck image quality wise w/ my 02 zoom lens. I'm posting some samples - I will not hesitate to use this lens as the picture quality is great and it focuses fast.

I'd offer to share some photos that I've taken w/ the 02 to help demonstrate it's quality but I am unable to do so - maybe because Amazon is not the seller and it's only available through third parties?

Anyway, I'll post a link to my Flickr set with Q photos and you can take a look at the shots there:
[...]

the bridge sunset photo and the convention center towers at sunset photos are my most recent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 20, 2014
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
It fits my pentax q very well. It is very light and easy to set up. I used to just have the 01 lens, and 02 is much useful than that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
Good deal and good condition!! Works perfectly!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 2, 2014
I wish I bought the 06 lens

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaged product, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q (Electronics)
The lens came without packaging and no warranty. I tried the zoom but the autofocus did not appear to work. The lens appeared to make a strange noise when powering on the unit. focusing also appeared to be an issue. The seller advised me contact the manufacturer for repairs!!!

Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Q