4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the others. . .
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a steller lens.
First let's get the fact that this is not a Pentax lens out of the way. This is optically the same lens that Tamron markets in Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts. In other words, it is a Tamron lens in Pentax clothing.

I think the best way to rate this lens is to look at the pros and cons.

On the pro side, I would list convenience as the main reason to...
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a steller lens., January 17, 2014
This review is from: Pentax K-Mount DA 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 ED SDM Interchangeable Lens (Electronics)

I think the best way to rate this lens is to look at the pros and cons.

On the pro side, I would list convenience as the main reason to purchase this lens, because it does not have much else going for it. We all want a lens that will go from a relatively wide angle to a fairly long telephoto in a small compact package. This lens fits that niche in you camera bag. It is an all-in-one walk around lens which is good for travel photography. Here I am talking about snap shooting, not serious photography. The only other plus for this lens is it's build quality, which is very nice.

Now to the cons. First this lens is way over priced. I would never pay the MSRP for this lens. Right now Adorama and B&H are both listing it at close to $800.00. The Amazon price is lower, and depending upon the seller, can be much more or much less than that price. I paid about $300 less than the Adorama and B&H price. Folks, this is not $800 glass. It is not what I would rate as very sharp at any focal length. Although it is fairly sharp at the short to mid focal lengths, is somewhat soft at the long end. Plus, it is slow. The f3.5 at the short end is not too bad, but f6.3 at 270mm is not very good. I found the AF had difficulty at the long end finding anything to focus on, so it just quit trying. Otherwise, the SDM focus was smooth, quiet, and fairly fast. There is a AF/MF switch on the lens, and a zoom lock for storage. There was no zoom creep on the considerable zoom extension, which was quite smooth.

This lens is not weather resistant, something you would expect in a Pentax lens, especially at the suggested price. Nor does it have the Pentax Quick Shift focus system we have all come to expect in Pentax lenses.

I bought this lens for the convenience of not having to carry more than one lens when traveling, and not having to change lenses when visiting crowded places. I think I will continue to carry at least two lenses, because the IQ is just not there with this lens. I would recommend that you consider purchasing the PENTAX DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Weather Resistant Lens @ $145 and the Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR @ $411 instead of this lens. Yes, you would have to changes lenses occasionally, but both of these lenses are Weather Resistant and both have the Quick Shift focus. Plus they are both better glass than the DA 18-270mm. Both of these lenses are also available in non weather resistant versions at considerable savings.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the others. . ., December 10, 2013
Amazon Customer (Jacksonville, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this lens. It is mostly what the advertisements claim it is, a super zoom lens of good quality when compared to other super zoom lenses. Unfortunately, it does not exceed other lenses in any way but the excessive price, and I say that having paid less than $500 for it. I bought it as an upgrade from my Tamron 18-200 which now sells for $199. The image quality of the two lenses is similar, and the zoom difference between the 200 and 270 lenses amounts to very little. The Pentax model is heavier and exhibits no lens creep (if you care; I don't). The Pentax auto focus is very quiet. The Pentax lens focuses about as well as the Tamron. None of this is enough to make me feel good about paying $300 more for the Pentax lens. The Sigma 18-250 equivalent at $350 or the Tamron 18-200 at $199 will give similar quality photos. So, it's as good a lens as the other major makers but I don't think it's worth paying the extra money for something that's only as good as something that cost considerably less. I'm considering a return.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, March 19, 2013
It is exactly what I was looking for, THE zoom! With it I am no more in the need to change lenses and can take only the camera with me in my excursions, very confortable ...and no risk to let the dust enter the camera.
I read on forums this zoom isn't of a great quality...I do not agree, I've found it good and accurate , maybe it isn't the top, anyway it is a "good choice" considering its focal lenght.
The only negative point is the price, anyway on Amazon is the lowest I've found and considering the exchange rate (I'm in Europe and pay in Euro) it is "good enough" and I have no regrets at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is my GO-TO travel lens...Excellent, April 16, 2014
My spouse and I do extensive world travel...Africa, Antarctica, Galapagos, Nepal, Vietnam, etc and need a lens with fairly good sharpness and very good zoom range. When traveling in Africa, or where-ever, we find that we have seconds to grab the best shot before it disappears. We're constantly on the go, no sitting in a blind waiting for animals...or street scenes. Changing lenses is a luxury we have to use sparingly for special shooting situations only. For example I have a 12-24mm for inside shooting in confined spaces...caves, tunnels and churches.

Thus, having an extreme zoom range like this lens has is a MAJOR advantage...as it covers the historic 35mm film range from 28mm wide angle to 400mm telephoto all in one very compact and lightweight lens. We also shoot from extreme-darkness night scenes to bright snow and find the f/stop range of the lens to be just fine...all hand held. The Pentax's in-body image stabilization helps with this. I also have my Pentax K-5 camera body set at a default ASA 1600 and normally use a standard aperture of f/11 with the lens...at very high shutter speeds. My images are all over the focal length range with many over 200 mm. I also use the lens in place of a pair of binoculars when scanning for animals.

Another very nice thing about the lens is its extremely close focusing ability...like 20" at 270mm. Combined with the high shutter speeds I use, it is great for shooting butterflies and insects on blooms and stopping their action.

Before buying this new lens, I used the Pentax 18-250 lens for a few years. The two are very similar (nearly identical in size, f/stops, sharpness and focal length range). My spouse still has the Pentax 18-250mm while I'm shooting with the new Pentax 18-270mm...no real discernible difference in our photos. The ultrasonic focusing (SDM) is a bit quieter, but no big deal...about the same focusing speed.

BOTTOM LINE...I highly recommend this lens to those with shooting demands like ours...I have a dozen Pentax lenses for the camera. This is the lens that I KEEP on the camera...it's the lens that will be ON it on any trip. It's a huge advantage over my old film camera lenses...and a huge advantage over what's available for full-frame digital camera bodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, everything I hoped for., January 5, 2014
When this lens first hit the market in the fall of 2012 I was stunned by the price ($995). Last October while browsing I saw it had come down about 300 bucks, and I decided to go for it.
I was working with the Pentax 55-300 lens, loving the optical quality of this glass, and I was worried to loose that quality with this new lens. I did not know what to expect since this lens is actually built by Tamron for Pentax. But after the lens arrived I was pleasantly surprised. I took about 20 shots at different focal lengths comparing this new lens with my old one, and I can not find differences in optical quality. Because I gained the 18 to 55 mm range on this lens I no longer need to change lenses for 95% of my photography. I keep the 55-300 in the case for the wildlife trips.
I definitely want to give this lens all 5 stars, for me it works great, the focus is super quiet, and works good, even at 270 mm! The lens is not the cheapest by any means, but I am glad I acquired it. I can now go on trips without changing my lenses every hour!!
*****

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Lens, July 10, 2013
Good Images, usually reasonably fast focus, very tight zoom, less than the typical softness associated with the long end of super zooms. The lens does not 'creep' when pointed downward. Our only real complaint is that it is not weather resistant.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special ,,,, June 7, 2014
I REALLY wanted to LOVE this lens. And I mean REALLY wanted to love it. But lets face it, it is NOT everything they say,,,, especially for the price - it was expensive for a Pentax non weatherproof lens - It needed to have ALL of the features of a Pentax lens for that price. For this price it SHOULD be considered a PRIME LENS - it is FAR from it. I found it to be sluggish and somewhat unresponsive at times in full zoom! What is the point of a long zoom lens, if it can't make up its mind on what to focus on FAST? Do you really want to spend this kind of money, to potentially miss pictures? I sent it back and ended up buying and 18-200 zoom from Tamron, for a quarter of the price. What is the point of paying MORE for something that can do the same job? And because the pictures were comparable to the Tamron lens for a quarter of the price - yup - I went with the Tamron AND a 35mm Pentax Lens instead. I got two lenses that work just as good. I did gave up 70mm in zoom with the 200mm zoom, but I'd rather have a 18-200mm and save for a ultra zoom later on - like I said, I wanted to love it - but nothing stood out for the money. My pennies are being saved for a 500mm lens that can give me a MUCH better long range picture!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Go To Lens !!!, April 2, 2014
The range is great for daily use. I find it sharp throughout, light, and versatile. This is the lens that stays on my K5 and that I 'carry on' airplanes in a Crumpler 5million bag, with a couple of primes and batteries/memory sticks. Superlative !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great lens, January 17, 2014
This is a perfect lens for traveling and everyday-useage. I love it, as it is versatile, ranging from wide to telephoto, which avoids me changing lenses all the time and getting my precious sensor dirty/dusty. I seriously recommend it to people who love to have their camera at the ready, but do not like to change lenses all the time. I have no issues with focus, and the lens has few limitations. If you do use it much on wide, you might consider a smaller zoom, as in some situations, there will be colour shadowing and flare - but usually only in strong lighting. Also, not all filters are appropriated - some will leave vinghetting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility issue with the Pentax K5, August 30, 2014
damats "damats" (Torrington, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Didn't work for me with my Pentax K5. I believe the K5 may have a compatibility issue. Photos were very Inconsistent and sometimes downright terrible. Amazon was awesome with the return though. Seller not so much.