on July 3, 2010
Folks,

After much research and review reads, purchased the Pentax DA50-200mm F/4-5.6 ED WR Lens for use with Pentax K7 DSLR.

Both items were bought from Amazon, and the service, shipping and quality were excellent, as has always been my experience.

Now to the lens, lens is perfect for use along the Gulf coast in the high humidity, heat, rain environments. The lens is weather resistant, well constructed and sealed against the elements. Displays very high build quality overall and has excellent optics.

The photos uploaded to Amazon demonstrate this lens performance at the extremes - macro and telephoto. The photos were taken with the new K7 Pentax DSLR. Very fast focus and great looking pictures. See for yourself by checking the uploaded sample photos.
review image review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2009
I bought this lens earlier this month with the K7 kit through Amazon. I have used the lens several times already at my sons football games. The lens coupled with the K7 takes very sharp jpegs with good color. It focuses very fast too. I've got some excellent action shots with this lens. The lens is also very compact and light considering its zoom capability.
on June 21, 2014
Like one other reviewer has mentioned, the picture is simply wrong from anotherdealsite seller. They sent me the kit version of this lens. It's indicated by a DAL in the name, not just the DA version. In addition, someone at anotherdealsite relabelled the box to reflect the correct part number (of the DA version); however, Pentax does NOT sell the DAL version of the lens on its own. It was taken out of a kit (probably from a K-50 box). Here are some of the differences:

1) DAL version has a generic box; DA version has a Pentax box with colours and marketing labels on it.
2) DAL version lacks metal parts at the base and a lens hood.

I sent it back immediately and ordered one from a different seller. I will report edit this review if another reseller has the same problem. Thank you to Amazon for quickly refunding me and offering me free ground shipping for the returned item.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2013
My first experience with the Pentax DA 50-200 F/4-5.6 AL WR:
"Wow, it's nice and light and compact for a lens that goes to 200mm, and the price was reasonable."
"Hmm, seems like the focus is not very accurate in low light, especially at some distance."

The latter problem (focus in marginal conditions) turned out to be my first generation K-5 SLR body, not the lens.

My 2nd experience with the 50-200 was comparing it side-by-side in actual use with my friend's DA 55-300, which was on his K-7 body. We shot the same subjects at the same settings, both in raw, and imported them on the same computer. His images from the 55-300 were sharper (even when we put his lens on my camera body) and had a bit better contrast Shooting his 55-300 at 200 definitely looked better than my 50-200 at 200. In the 55 to 120mm (ish) range both lenses were pretty similar. So I'm thinking the 55-300 either has significantly better MTR charts or just has a lot more latitude since its performance doesn't begin to fall off as much until the upper third of its range -- which is simply a longer range so it's outside of the comparison.

That 2nd experience left me a little flat, half wishing I'd purchased a 55-300 instead. But the 50-200 wooed me into keeping it with what seemed like better build quality, not as lightweight and plastic feeling.

Eventually, over the next two years, I got in the habit of always bringing the 50-200 along when I go out with my main DA* 16-50, in case I see distant subjects that I want to try. I gradually warmed up to the lens as I learned how it responds better to different techniques in Lightroom when I'm post processing.

The final, and most positive, note is that lately I've been really happy shooting closeups with this lens, such as flowers, bugs, and other subjects that are usually macro material. I don't have a macro lens yet and this has done a more than good enough job of taking that place in the meantime, with soft enough background blur in most conditions. The only drawbacks for that use, of course, are a rather long minimum focus distance (I think over 3 feet?) and lack of superfine focus-ring gearing compared to a true macro lens.

Overall I would quite possibly buy this same item again, but to say that for sure I would probably be tempted to spend more time with a 55-300 or other competitors first.
on June 10, 2011
I would have rated this lens at a 3 star level for optical quality. However, the decent build combined with relatively low price and weather resistance probably deserve a four star rating overall.

I've tested a lot of lenses and this Pentax 50-200mm WR zoom appears to be inherently not very sharp, particularly in the 50mm to 90mm range. I tested two copies, on both a Pentax K-5 and also a K20d. The lack of sharpness that I observed mirrors the professional reviews of the 50-200 Pentax at respected sites like DXO Optics.

If you stop down two to three stops from maximum aperture in the 100mm range, then the center is often reasonably sharp at f 11 and the edges are not that bad. However, wide open, or near 50mm or 200mm, this lens is among the less sharp modern lenses that I've used.

I sent my first copy of this lens back because there was left side decentering that resulted in noticeable lack of sharpness on the left 1/3 of the frame at all focal lengths and apertures. The second copy was marginally better and more uniform across the entire frame, so I kept that copy.

Pentax's 18-55mm WR wide to normal zoom seems sharper. In conjunction with a K20d that became "surplus" after I bought my K-5, these two Pentax WR lenses make a decent and reasonably priced all-weather kit.

Amazon was excellent about making a quick and pain-free replacement. I absolutely appreciate their excellent customer service.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2014
Buyers, please be aware, as per another review, 'Another Deal Site' are providing cheap kit versions of this lens and not as advertised. Where the advertised lens retails for $250, the other lens only retails at $100 (Though is only meant to come with a kit). I received the lens in a plain box, but have to admit only became really suspicious as it was missing the pictured hood. When I checked back on the site to see if I'd just made a mistake about what should have been contained, I spotted a 1 star review from someone else who'd also been scammed. I have since sent it back and, as usual, Amazon have quickly processed the return and refunded me the cost. I will now be looking to purchase the correct one from one of the other companies. Just to clarify, this 1 star is purely for the company so that I can warn other consumers before they are scammed as well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2013
A sleeper stunner from Pentax! I bought this lens to pair with my K30 about a week ago. I have taken a couple hundred photos and this lens is of great quality. I actually originally bought the DA-L 55-300 about a month ago (due to the overwhelming belief that it is far superior optically to this lens) and returned it b/c I just wasn't satisfied with the sharpness results I continually got from it. I used a tripod, remote, everything to reduce blur and I was disappointed every time. And it was very large and clumsy to carry around imo. I may have gotten a bad copy of that lens. Then, after much research I just decided to go with this one b/c of the weather sealing and the focal range (and btw, 200 to 300mm is NOT that much of a difference). I was pleasantly surprised! The build quality is fantastic, it comes with a lens hood, and of course it is weather sealed. I have gotten nothing but great results out of this lens, at 100% crop it is the same if not better than my old 55-300 at EVERY focal length, which again was most likely a bad copy. Softens up wide open, as to be expected, but not that much at all. At f8 it is very. It is not as sharp as my 50mm prime but it comes respectably close for a budget zoom! If you're on the fence, JUST GET IT. The bang for your buck is unheard of with this lens.
on January 2, 2013
This is a decent, basic zoom. You are not going to shoot a lot of award winners at the 200mm setting on it, but it is extremely functional, durable, and does a good job in the 80-120mm range. I sometimes find AF with it is so-so at picking up the focal point I want, but it is quick, and the price was very good. I would call this a good value lens for general use.
on September 14, 2014
As noted by several other buyers the lens I received is not what was advertised. This is the kit lens that Pentax does not sell by itself. It has a plastic mount and no quickshift among other short comings. I have not taken many photos with this lens but initial impression leaves me flat. Slow focus in low contrast situations and less than perfect lighting. As noted the edges are very soft at full zoom but more problematic is trying to get the correct subject focused in a sports environment without the quickening. Ultimately I do not know why the vendor Another Deal Site is allowed to continue selling this product as it is it is false advertisement. The lens may ultimately work out but I do not think it is worth 168 dollars.

Update- I have decided to return the lens after reviewing photos of my sons recent soccer game. The photos are just too soft, washed out and the focusing is horrible. I hsd really hoped this would work out.
on August 31, 2013
I am a advanced hobbyist photographer. I shoot RAW and manual at all times. This lens can certainly deliver in the sharpness realm. Colors are great! (but then again, pentax always nails the colors... just saying). I have not found any distortion or fringing in any of my images. Build quality is fantastic, feels very solid. It is much smaller than I was expecting, the same size of the 18-55wr. Pleasantly surprised! Very light weight... compact... tons of zoom! F4 is the fastest this lens gets, but normally I just leave it on 5.6 when I need maximum light. In bright light I leave it at f8 - f11 and boom, the lens really shines at these apertures. If you are in low light, use high iso, tripod, and slow down the shutter. If you can't do this try to use a flash.

Fantastic lens, weather sealed, small, light weight, the price is right... buy this lens.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations