Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Pentax K-R 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inc..." and save 75% off the $799.95 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Pentax K-R 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 Lenses (Black)
- 12.4-megapixel CMOS sensor; compact, lightweight body
- Kit includes 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 lenses
- Widescreen 720p HD video at 25fps; powerful automatic shooting modes including Pentax Auto Picture
- 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution; wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards (not included)
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Color||Black 18-55 & 50-200|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5.62 fps|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||12,800|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||200|
|External Memory Included||No|
|Focus Description||autofocus self-illumination light|
|Focus Type||automatic with manual|
|Item Dimensions||4.9 x 2.7 x 3.8 inches|
|Item Display Weight||4.3 pounds|
|Item Weight||1.3 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Weight||4 ounces|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||12.4 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Processor Model Number||K-r|
|Removable Memory||Secure Digital card|
|Shipping Weight||3.75 pounds|
|Video Capture Format||avi|
|Video Capture Resolution||720p_hd|
|Viewfinder Type||optical viewfinder|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
From the Manufacturer
The compact, lightweight Pentax K-r is easy to use with Auto Picture, Scene, and Custom Image Processing modes that take the guesswork out of shooting stunning images while still offering a high degree of manual and priority control. The K-r offers a variety of new and improved features including a fast framerate, high ISO sensitivity, responsive autofocus, an improved 12.4-megapixel low-noise sensor and widescreen HD video capture that take it a step above an entry-level DSLR camera.
Key features of the Pentax K-r that are new or have been improved upon from the most recent entry to mid-level Pentax DSLR models include:
- Large 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution
- Faster high speed 6 FPS framerate that captures 25 images in a single sequence
- A maximum 1/6000 second shutter speed
- Viewfinder focus point indicator
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture including a Night Scene HDR mode
- High sensitivity 100-25600 ISO range with improved noise performance from the new 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Versatile dual-power-source design, which offers the choice of either a rechargeable lithium-ion battery or four AA-size battery power (using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109)
- Infrared data transfer compatible with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system for wireless data transfer to the web or other IrSimple-compatible devices (includes a match-game between two Pentax K-r's).
With a highly portable, compact and lightweight body in a choice of colors, the K-r holds appeal for busy parents, family memory-keepers, travelers and anyone who reflects personal style in all their pursuits including their journey into photography or videography as a skill or hobby.
Pentax K-r Highlights
High-quality, true-to-life image reproduction
The K-r incorporates a new generation CMOS image sensor with 12 megapixels and the high-performance PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II imaging engine for accurate and high-speed data processing equal to that of upper-level Pentax digital SLR models for high-quality images. The camera also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 12800 that may be expanded from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 via a custom function.
Compact, lightweight body
Even with the 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the K-r features a compact, lightweight, stainless-steel chassis with in-body Shake Reduction in a space-efficient design.
High-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second
The K-r's high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 25 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately six images per second (fastest of all entry-class models) for sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
High-precision AF system
The K-r's high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) for pinpoint focus on the subject. The K-r is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations. Accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during Live View shooting is enhanced with a new-generation image sensor and drastic upgrading of AF algorithms.
Bright, clear optical viewfinder
The Pentax-original finder optics and the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen ensure the K-r's viewfinder offers a bright, clear subject image at 0.85X magnification and with a 96% field of view. The viewfinder offers excellent visibility even in bright outdoor locations and provides delay-free, real-time display of the subject's image. This is helpful when shutter release timing is critical such as in sports photography. The in-focus point is indicated as a red point in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.
Large, easy-to-view 3-inch LCD monitor with wide-view design
The K-r features a large, high-resolution color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots and its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low- and high-angle applications during Live View shooting.
Versatile dual-power-source design
In addition to the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which allows the photographer to capture approximately 560 images with a single recharge,* the K-r can also be powered by four AA-size batteries using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109.
* Based on the Pentax in-house testing conditions conforming to the CIPA standards, using a rechargeable D-LI109 Lithium-Ion Battery.
Pentax-original Shake Reduction mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The K-r features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by up to approximately four shutter steps. This innovative mechanism extends its benefits to almost all Pentax interchangeable lenses--even those designed for film-format cameras.* The K-r produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without flash illumination, and shooting sunsets.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism: Pentax K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions
(1) Custom Image function for distinctive finishing touches The K-r features the Custom Image function to allow users to select a desired finishing touch for a particular image with a choice of nine custom image modes including Bleach Bypass, which is designed to create a dramatic visual effect used in motion pictures.
(2) Versatile Digital Filter function The K-r's Digital Filter function allows users to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly creative visual expressions--without a computer. Users may choose from 18 filters, including a new Starburst, Sketch and Posterization and may now apply filter upon filter, one after another, to an image for more creative results.
(3) Cross Process mode with three options The K-r features the unique Cross Process mode that automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with dramatic colors (as with photographs treated with the cross process* in film photography). In addition to "Random", where the results are unpredictable until the image has been processed, users now have two new options: "Preset" with three different sets of preset parameters; and "Favorite" with user-input parameters.
*A film development technique that uses unconventional film development to create a distinctive finish with dramatic, stylized colors.
(4) Improved High Dynamic Range function The K-r features the High Dynamic Range function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures without a computer. Users may choose from Auto, Standard and Expanded (at three levels) modes to accommodate different creative intentions.
Auto Align function
Allows use even with handheld shooting.
High-speed infrared data transmission system
The K-r is the first Pentax digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system, which allows users to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices and post their K-r images on the web via a cellular phone. This also allows users to exchange image data between two K-r cameras and play a simple match game using image Exif data (such as aperture or shutter-speed values) to judge images and offer techniques and suggestions for better images.
High-quality, HDTV-proportion movie recording at 1280 x 720 pixels and at 25 frames per second
The K-r provides a movie-recording function,* which captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 25 frames per second. This extends many benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting: For example, users may reduce the depth of field to make a subject stand out, or use different interchangeable lenses to create distinctive visual effects. The K-r also assures a greater possibility of visual presentation in movies--either through the application of digital filters, such as Toy Camera and Retro, to add specific visual effects during shooting, or through the use of various movie-editing functions after shooting.
*When the Pentax K-r's AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output at normal resolution. The data must be transferred to a PC for the playback of movie clips at high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels).
- User-friendly layout of essential control buttons and levers, all positioned on the camera's grip side for quick, effortless access by the photographer's right hand.
- Auto Picture mode, for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting.
- Versatile white balance control, featuring a new CTE mode designed to emphasize the dominant color components of the captured images which works best with scenes such as sunset.
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses).
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and browser applications.
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras and lenses on our review pages: Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses
Top Customer Reviews
The camera showed up and I took it the next day to photograph my sister's wedding. All weekend I played with it, taking pictures of family and friends, decorations, kids, etc... I had a great time and came away with some really solid looking pictures. My brother was shooting with a nikon D90 (which is a little older camera) and I thought my pictures looked sharper and more true to color. My wife was worried that she would not be able to use the camera due to the complexity of some dslrs. She loves the camera and uses it constantly. It has actually gotten her very excited about photography. One negative thing is the plastic-y built lenses that it comes with. The lenses work very well, turn out great pictures, but aren't quite as solid feeling as others I've held. I have not had any issue with them and may never have any issues with them. One more issue is the shutter noise which is very robust. I actually enjoy the sound most of the time but have noticed when I'm trying to take candids of our baby, it can call attention to the camera and lose the shot. The camera itself is built very solidly and is very responsive. The grip is large and feels very comfortable (I have large hands and Canon cameras were way too small for me). It will take pictures as fast as you can click and the features are fairly easy to navigate once you get going.Read more ›
I love Nikon, and tend to be a Nikon fanboy... but wow! Pentax is superb! Image quality, AF, ISO, and all are amazing out-of-box, and even better on manual mode (if you know what you are doing haha)!
I had such a tough time choosing between this and a Nikon D3100. I kept on looking and looking and looking at reviews, previews, test images...etc. And all ACTUAL proof or side-by-side comparisons showed that this Pentax K-R (and even the K-X) was the winner.
Yeah, it only has 720p, but that is still HD quality. I'm not buying this for filming, I'm buying it for a friggn camera. And I tested out the video on it, and it looks really sharp! Don't know why so many people with their biased opinion based on the video quality? They must have not ever have actually touched either cameras.
I snagged an amazing deal on this one with the 2 lenses and paid $595 instead of the listing price ($699 for the cheapest at the moment), So it was just a amazing find. Loving it, and will treasure it for many years to come.
The camera has behaved nicely. It does offer the quality results it features here and at pentaximaging website. I have only used the MF because I need to practice in doing myself (XD), but the AF has received feedback that it would not work at certain light conditions. It does have expanded ISO sensibility, but it does have a noise drawback after higher ISOs. Its HDR mode is really fantastic because it offers pictures taken in ways you would not dream about with a point/shoot camera, and it does not need to be blown out or over-saturated. And I have only started using few of its many features, and I cannot wait to test the rest of them.
If you are another person really interested in photography as a hobby, and want to expand or improve your skills, this entry level DSRL is for you. You could start little by little changing from auto mode to priority mode, and then moving into fully manual mode. And this kind of camera is made for that, and more! I highly recommend this camera. Of course, there are better DSLR out there, but this one works more than just fine, and at a very good price (I only wish it would be weather resistant as K-7). This has been the best purchase I have ever made on Amazon, or else.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I've had this camera for about 2 years, now. I love the low-light shooting and color quality. I carry it with me a lot, and it has been in the tropics and the desert for a lot of... Read morePublished 12 months ago by Amanda
I purchased the Pentax K-R several years ago so I had time to form a better opinion. Coming from point and shoot cameras, it took me quite a while to get accustomed to this... Read morePublished on September 15, 2013 by Jim K.
Fast, handles well, a great alternative to all the Canon and Nikon products on the market. A real plus is it accepts nearly all the lenses that Pentax has produced over the years,... Read morePublished on November 29, 2012 by RC
Absolutely greate camera for that money. cool pictures with true colors. The camera is not heavy. two lenses is very useful to take different pictures.Published on July 29, 2012 by Azat Shakirov
This review comes after owning the K-r for almost a full year.
When I was shopping for cameras, I spent weeks trying to figure out what the best option was for my... Read more
Absolutely love this camera. It is a Huge upgrade from "point and shoot" cameras. The dpi is truly unbelievable, even when you use the Pentax software and enlarge a picture 200x. Read morePublished on April 2, 2012 by Mya
This review was written by someone who buys a new camera every year, always seeking better photos, bigger zoom, more mega pixels. Read morePublished on March 11, 2012 by Spudman
My first Pentax is an *ist DS. I love the camera and it has served me well for 6 years but it was time to upgrade to a camera with image stabilization and improved auto focus in... Read morePublished on January 24, 2012 by Brian L. Yentes