5.0 out of 5 stars Deflation in Action
My strongest negative feeling is the price on this came down $15 since I ordered it 3 days ago. And yeah, it has no VF, but then neither does it have any mirror slap. It has the same excellent APS-C sensor it's big brother (K5) has and even better video mode selections PLUS it has focus peaking.

Despite all the carping, the body felt VERY comfortable in my big...
Published on August 1, 2012 by Amicus Curia

3.0 out of 5 stars K-01 is interesting camera, worth a try under certain conditions.
I bought this camera to use with several Pentax lenses I already owned. I bought the "body only" kit so it would force me to use the Pentax lenses. The camera has some nice features that compensate for lenses that do not have auto focus, and I was able to figure this out after some time. Eventually I was able to use my zoom lens and several prime lenses, and one...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Deflation in Action, August 1, 2012

Despite all the carping, the body felt VERY comfortable in my big hands. The lens lock design for this body actually is sleeker and more ergonomic than the K5's. I'd purchased a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 prime a couple of years back, then buried it in my kit bag and pretty much forgot about it. When the K-01 arrived, I dug it out and slapped it on. WoW! A lens/body marriage made in Heaven. It felt perfect, the body and lens easily balanced with one another. The clarity and brightness in low light were a pleasant surprise. Unlike the K5, this body has Focus Peaking. It's not only a welcome backup for my K5, but has unique advantages in its own right.

The rubber cover for the SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot is a bit more meddlesome than the hard door/cover on the K5, but it does NOT 'flop' once you take the time to slide/secure it back in place. This body has an external stereo mike input, and UNLIKE the K5, it has audio level control. It also has a built in stereo mic and I think the K5's built in is mono, though its jack is stereo.

This unit may not be a spy's dream camera, but it should be any serious photographer's 'go to' camera for all around versatility and excellence at an unbelievable affordable price (currently). When I count up the advantage of being able to utilize my Pentax legacy/modern lenses, this thing just screams, "Buy me!"
Make no mistake, this is no toy. The dials and buttons feel solid, not cheap. I would have liked a longer neck strap in the retail package.

The 'play' button (when not reviewing your footage/shots) is a welcome asset in returning the focus area to the center of the frame when pushed. The K5 always takes me longer to return the focus area to the center of the frame, and when lots is happening, the time it takes can be annoying. There's lots to like about this body's design that some nitpickers and Polly Anna types have failed to recognize when they vacuously pronounce this design a marketing 'failure'. There may be no accounting for 'taste', but this body feels right in so many respects, it's a raving success here.

I almost forgot something other reviewers ignored, the popup flash mechanism feels very secure and well engineered--almost like a fine Swiss watch. I'd have liked weather proofing in this unit, but there's nothing 'cheap' about the feel. As for the rubber sides instead of solid cover, perhaps that provides a little extra protection against unexpected minor bumps. Don't be afraid of trying this camera, especially with something more than the kit pancake lens. Kudos to the designer and manufacturers of this quality tool.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS: Another bonus feature the K-01 offers which the big name brand reviewers have all apparently missed is, not only does this body's pop up flash FEEL refined and well engineered with PLENTY of critical thinking invested in the design--It IS! e.g. The K5's pop up flash was not available when the Rode Video Microphone (stereo) is mounted in the hot shoe. But the more thoughtfully designed K-01 allows a mic such as the Rode SVM to be mounted in the hot shoe AND allows the built in flash to operate simultaneously without having to remove the mic to allow for the built in flash. Given the instantaneous ability to switch (via the 'red' button) from single shots to video, this is a feature I doubt any other APS-C hybrid still/video camera of this quality on the market offers. Frankly, this camera's design is beginning to look like it's over some of its critics' heads.

BTW, the larger body some critics disparage compared to the petite mirrorless competitors likely doesn't overheat its chip & electronic circuitry as rapidly as its smaller P&S cousins. Another nice feature that's not mentioned in the reviews obsessing on the K-01's size/lines is it has not just interval timing for stills, but for video as well! That means you could set it up to catch a series of rush hour foot traffic, or any other anticipated regular event. This duckling is turning into a pretty elegant swan.

When the price on this dropped to 346 smackers on Amazon (free shipping! No tax), I couldn't resist buying a 2nd. At that price it's cheaper than many less endowed P&S cameras. At that price, they're GIVING this excellent photography tool away as though it were a lens accessory!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to your dSLR, or as a standalone camera, April 4, 2012
I've had this camera for a few weeks now and I must say I like it. Owning the K5, I wanted a camera that would give me similar image quality in a smaller package. The K-01 delivers on both counts, though it's not as small as I'd like. However, it handles well, and the live view implementation is better than the implementation of live view on the dSLRs. I use the DA Limited lenses on this camera, and they focus and handle very well. I haven't tried larger lenses since I have the K5 for that.

In social situations, the camera puts people at ease, and being able to shoot from the hip (literally) makes it easier to engage your subjects and still get excellent photos.

I haven't shot much video with it, but having one-button access to the function is very handy.

Using manual lenses on this camera is a breeze, much easier than the dSLRs for me. With focus peaking and live view zoom, it's very easy to nail focus.

If you're looking for a serious snapshot camera, this is a great choice, even if you don't own any Pentax lenses. Teh 40mm kit lesn is outstanding, probably equal to the DA40 Limited prime (I have both and have compared them). My only concern with the 40mm kit lens is the lack of a lens hood, thought it never caused me a problem in the time I owned the lens (I sold it since I have the DA40 Ltd).

For people worried about the lack of an optical or electronic viewfinder, I've shot the K-01 several times in bright Texas sunlight, and the LCD works well enough for me to compose and focus. Honestly, the lack of a OVF or EVF is a non-issue for me.

All in all, I think this camera is a winner and well spec'd as a dSLR complement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deflationary Pressure, November 2, 2012
I already purchased one of these (body only) to add to my K5 and K30. Naturally, I have an assortment of excellent KA-mount lenses, both manual and AF, legacy and modern. Some are Pentax, some are Tamron, some Rokinon, and even an excellent Bell & Howell branded 8mm fisheye. So in a world of crippling lens costs, I got a great deal. All of these bodies have built in stabilization. Remaining in a world of the K-mount series of lenses is a tremendous asset and money saver.

These bodies are excellent. The metal framed K-01 is no exception. Though not weather sealed and without a VF, its other features more than compensate for those deficiencies. The K-01 I purchased @ 590 smackers was, I thought, a fantastic bargain for a unit with the same excellent sensor as the K5, K5-ii, Sony and Nikon bodies utilizing an APS-C format, given the superlative reviews for said sensor. The K30 & K-01 also have an improved processor that beats out the one in the K5 & K5-ii. But now (w/a little shopping) @ 346 smackers--well...they're essentially GIVING the body away. Why? I'm not certain. Perhaps the initial negative reviews of the design by some hasty naysayers tarnished the market for this gem. But at the current deflated price, even though I don't have an immediately NEED for it, I can't resist what amounts to a steal. I'm ordering another one! (Before they're gone)

This body doesn't overheat in video mode. It's big enough to grip. Its size likely provides for the better heat dissipation. It has focus peaking. The LCD is excellent. Along with the K5 and K30, it takes great pictures. It's packed with features and fun. It's now cheaper than many P&S cameras having smaller sensors and poorer performance. They don't have a VF either. It's a great backup unit for when your pricier K5 series is in the shop or otherwise indisposed. While not pocket sized, it's lighter and easier to carry around your neck. Did I mention it doesn't overheat in video mode? That means you can repeatedly take 25 minute clips without it prematurely shutting down. (Provided you have sufficient memory left and aren't using a resolution that will eat up the available file size before the 25 minute mark) Why all of the above models in the U.S. don't include a feature allowing successive image/video file creation without shutting down at all escapes me. Not incidentally, the K-01 uses the SAME battery as the K5, and K5-ii, though not the K30. They ALL accept the same SDHC/SDXC memory cards...more $avings. Sony's A99 body accepts 2 such cards and will record to both simultaneously, but it's $2800. Hopefully more camera makers will follow suit for the flexibility this arrangement offers. Right now, you can get an ultra-fast (~45Mb/sec) SanDisk SDHC card for around $35. Swapping is quick enough to make it a minor inconvenience compared to the Sony offering.

If you're a video producer, having an extra (at such a bargain price) also allows you and an assistant to cover an event from multiple camera angles and/or w/varied lenses. The flash mechanics is refined and allows a Rode stereo mike to be mounted in the shoe simultaneously. They're not mutually exclusive. Being without a mirror, there's no slap. (unlike the K30, which is obnoxiously loud) The RED button allows for instant video clip recording--a nice convenience. The body and controls are solidly built. At its current price, this body practically becomes a lens accessory. Yeah, it's not a medium format or even full frame camera. So what? Except for specialized applications, the APS-C format shines in all other respects. The kit bag is lighter. The product is excellent. The bodies listed are versatile. I'm thinking with a proper wireless remote control trigger, you could have a studio on the cheap with simultaneous multiple camera angles. Get some lighting stands and quartz lamps at Home Depot for extra savings. They even have full spectrum bulbs on the cheap along with assorted color heat ranges.

It's astounding to consider how much power this body (and its cousins) puts into the hands of the great unwashed at such a low price. Excellent photography and video composition is no longer only for the wealthy. It's now possible to document and tell those stories of your dreams. Don't be fooled by the hype and 'glamour' of the more advertised brands...this is a quality tool in the hands of a serious photographer. Even if it looked like a hamburger (actually, its looks tend to grow on you) its functionality would scream, "Buy me!"

I read the hype of the other brands along with everyone else. I'm not immune to the 'center folds' they advertise. But in the end, I can't ignore common sense. This body just makes too much sense to pass up at this price. And, for the money, it'd make a great gift if there's someone in your life interested in photography.

ps: Not only are they 'giving' this thing away, they're shipping it for free! Color me amazed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am loving it!, May 29, 2012
Cheezr (Boynton Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
The more I use this camera the more I love it. I know that everyone on the internet is a critic but I am glad I gave in to my urges and got this camera.
The controls are very well laid out and very easy to read and use. The menus also use a large font and are quite decent.
The 40mm lens is razor sharp.
The whole kit is just well made. It is the first camera that i have had in a long time that just gets out of your way and actually assists you in taking pictures. For example, when taking close up pics of flowers or whatever, you can turn on several features that give you excellent assistance in confirming your focus. Speaking of which, the AF is easily better than the Fuji X100 and on par with the Oly E-PL1.
Another thing i really like is that the camera is completely trustworthy in full auto mode, you set it to scene and just concentrate on taking pictures and they come out amazingly well (this is unlike my V1 which can take great pics but really makes you work to get them).
That's my last remark, the image quality is truly exceptional! It is the best image quality i have had (better than X100). Don't believe me just go onto Flickr and do a search on K-01 and see for yourselves. I have quite useable pictures taken at ISO 12800 and ISO 25600 (realistically when viewed on the web and not blown way up).
I just love this camera and i haven't been excited by a new camera in a very long time. the K-01 is well designed, well built, easy to use and has amazing image quality.
If you are in the market for a new camera I encourage you to try it (after all you have 30 days to return it if you are not happy). You have nothing to lose and a great photography experience to gain.

5.0 out of 5 stars K-01 Photo Quality is Excellent and This Camera is a Real Bargain, November 10, 2012
I bought this camera because I have a whole stable of Pentax lenses and the price was right. After a week or so of use. I must say that I really like this camera. I own the Pentax K-5 and K-X. In the past I've owned the K-100D, K-10D, K-20D and the K-7. This camera shoots photos of comparable quality to the K-5 and much better than the K-7.

I bought the black camera and I like the styling very much. The controls have a very modern look and are easy to use if you read the instructions. They are much simpler than the K-5. The photo quality is excellent and the Custom Image menu and the various programmable filters make it fun to shoot and to play around with the photo output. The ribbed rubber covering makes it easy to grip even without a more pronounced gripping extension on the right side.

The size, for me, is just right. I didn't expect a smaller camera since I knew it has an APS-C sensor and uses the K-mount lenses. So far, I've used the Pentax 18-135 mm zoom lens with this camera. If size is a real factor, I can install the Pentax 40mm Limited pancake lens or one of its cousins. The continuous live view is a real advantage in most cases as opposed to the on and off live view in the K-5.

This camera is built like a tank. It seems to be an all metal housing and the solid feel is very encouraging. The memory card cover is easy to use once you get the hang of it. Although a lot of reviewers have complained about the rubber cover, I found it quite easy to use once I studied its configuration.

The auto-zoom feature is convenient for focus but in some ways complicates the composition of the photo. If the subject of the photo is in the center of the frame the auto-zoom is a real advantage. And sometimes the focus peaking function is a real advantage but other times it's better to turn it off. In both cases, however, having these functions adds real convenience to photo taking and they are advantages that many cameras don't have.

All in all, I think this camera is a hidden gem and is being greatly ignored and misrepresented by the reviewers. At the Amazon price offered recently, it is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, but definitely for me, March 22, 2012
Dorothy Gray (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Without getting into too much boring detail, I have damaged eyesight, and I have a tough time using DSLRs because of their reliance on tiny flashing numbers in the viewfinder, along with the annoyance of having to dig through various menu screens to get anything done. As a result, I am primarily a film shooter. I like my cameras straightforward. I like to think about getting the shot, not worry about the camera.

Enter this little gem. It has Pentax's intuitive menu system, simple and easy exterior button design which calls to mind an old film camera, and a nice big LCD screen. It is mirrorless, so there's no noisy thing causing camera shake, but it has the same size sensor as most DSLRs on the market, and it takes Pentax's K mount lens line and older M42 glass via adapter. If you want you can get it with a nice 40mm ultra-thin pancake kit lens, which is of excellent quality; or you can get the standard kit with a couple of zooms, or a body only if you already have a set of Pentax glass.

It has a nifty feature called "focus peaking" to aid with focusing when using those wonderful older lenses.

Its video capabilities are very nice. I am not a videographer so I cannot go into a lot of detail on that.

Certain review sites have complained about its ergonomics; but I tend to think these reviewers have never held film cameras and I wonder how they think a camera is supposed to be held.

For me, the biggest drawbacks have been: 1) the rubber flap covering where the SD card slot goes: it's not intuitive, learning how to properly close it. It should not be closed like a door. If you do try to close it like that, it will keep coming open, or your finger will get caught on it, or some other such annoyance. The proper way to close it is to slide it back into place, then press down on it. 2) The LCD screen can be difficult to see in certain types of glare or very bright sunlight. I'm looking for the right kind of removable shade for these situations.

But overall, I am extremely satisfied with this camera. I think it's going to last me a good long time and I'll be getting more Pentax/M42 lenses for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K-01, March 30, 2012
UPDATE: Folks, get the firmware update recently released. It fixed a rather nasty autofocus issue I was having with the onboard 40mm lens. Otherwise love the ability to reel off six frames a second and have figured out the onboard flash thanks to the reply below!
----
I'm still on the learning curve on this camera but took the dive because I had a bunch of legacy Pentax lenses gathering dust. My first mission was taking pictures of my daughter's play under theater lighting. Even with an old non-auto 70-210mm lens I was soon taking great looking shots.

I agree with some reviewers that the flash pictures are a problem. I haven't shot a great shot with the onboard flash yet and tend to keep it off. Hopefully this will be addressed.

I do occasionally miss the viewfinder but the screen is fantastic. Focusing easier than expected. The 40mm lens that comes with the kit is awesome and you should buy it as a package with this camera.

So far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pentax K-01- A Mirrorless of a different color!, April 25, 2012
In spite of the naysayers on the web, I decided to give the Pentax K-01 a try and I was pleasantly surprised. It isn't the big bulky weird looking beast that some of the critics would have us believe. Agreed it's not as svelt as the Sony NEXes or the Olympus & Panasonic M 4/3rds offerings, but that's because one of it's greatest attributes is this: if you're a Pentax SLR or DSLR owner, you don't have to make a huge investment in new lenses. All Pentax SLR/DSLR lenses fit and work with this camera. If you don't have the privilege of owning any of Pentax's great lenses,the Mark Newsom designed 40mm XS lens that came with my K-01 (I got the yellow one- way cool)is a great standard prime to start with. While amazingly, ridiculously thin, this little lens delivers sharp, well rendered pictures. The K-01's autofocus works fine in most situations, but when using a manual lens or when you find the autofocus hunting too much, there's the focus peeking feature that makes focusing a snap in any situation. The controls are well laid out and easily accessible, and I find the rubbery surface and shape of the camera make handling this camera a pleasure- never did I feel that I was on the verge of dropping it nor did I suffer any discomfort from handling it for extended periods of time. Some have complained about the rubbery flap that conceals the SD card slot, but after a few tries I found the "trick" to closing it and I have complete confidence in it's utility and I'm sure it will stay intact throughout the camera's life. The best thing about this camera are the pictures it delivers. Even in the lowest of lighting it's possible to get great virtually noise-free shots. I would recommend this camera to anyone who's main goal in photography is to come up with the finest quality photos- in this regard (and many others)the K-01 delivers the goods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky but serious, May 8, 2013
I have to admit I'm a loyal Pentax fan and have been so for decades. They are an underdog company but, well, I like underdogs and the fact is that Pentax DSLRs are extremely well built and generally offer more features at a given price point than Canon or Nikon. That said, I was very skeptical when Pentax announced the K-01 last year. I mean, a DSLR-like camera with no viewfinder? No traditional optical viewfinder, nor even an electronic viewfinder? For cryin' out loud, even P&S cameras have optical viewfinders! It was primarily the lack of a viewfinder that kept the K-01 off my radar until... the price began to drop. And drop further... and further... and further. I started reading other reviews from folks who I consider to be serious photographers who started snatching up K-01s as 2nd, 3rd, even 4th cameras. I started hearing folks predict that the K-01 would become a cult classic in the resale market - ignored by the masses but in high demand by those "in the know."

Then it happened - I was invited to join a Project 365 - an online group in which each member attempts to take at least one photo per day and post it online. It sounded like fun, but I started to wonder how I'd keep up with taking all those pictures. My primary DSLR is in a big sling bag along with all the typical paraphernalia like flash, filters, tripod, lenspen, tubes, hoods, batteries and more lenses than I really need. I couldn't see myself hauling all that equipment around everywhere I went for a full year, so I started thinking about a 2nd camera; Something smaller and lighter but still with an APS-C sensor. That's when I decided to buy a K-01.

The sweet spot of the K-01 is this: It naturally pairs well with older manual focus lenses. That's not to say that other Pentax cameras don't work with manual lenses... they all do. It's just that the K-01 has this new nifty feature called Focus Peaking that highlights hard edges in the frame which are in focus. As a result, it is very easy to attain proper focus manually. If you're a little scared of focusing manually, the K-01 will take you by the hand and show you that you have nothing to worry about.

Also note that Pentax cameras have shake reduction built into the bodies, not the lenses. So you can use shake reduction even with older lenses - another reason why the K-01 marries well with old lenses.

The other reason the K-01 is a natural fit with older lenses is that for very little cash you can have a camera/lens combo that will take amazing pictures. Many of the vintage manual lenses can be purchased very inexpensively used online. Look especially for prime (non-zoom) lenses... it's a simple fact that prime lenses almost always take better pictures than zooms because they have fewer glass elements to distort the light path. For example, the lens I use most often with my K-01 is a Pentax SMC M 50mm f/1.7 (vintage 1983 or so) which I bought for about 25 bucks. It's an amazing piece of glass and in combo with the K-01 it produces pictures that are hard to match at any price. You see, the K-01's dirty little secret is that it has a really good sensor. The sensor is capable of a wide dynamic range and excellent performance in low light and at 16.1 MP you've got more than enough pixels to play with.

So yeah... if absolute best picture quality is what you're after, skip the big box store DSLR and kit lens and pick up a K-01 and an old manual prime. The total cost will probably be half or a third of what you'd pay for a big box store DSLR and the K-01 will blow its doors off every time. It's that good. I think a lot of serious photographers have already figured out that the K-01 and manual prime lenses go well together because that's what I hear of people doing, even to the extent of buying a K-01 for each of their favorite manual lenses so that instead of switching lenses, they just pull out a different K-01. Don't get me wrong - the K-01 works great with new auto-everything lenses too. It's just that some things go particularly well together... think coffee and chocolate.

A note about sensors: Size does matter. In fact, it matters MUCH more than megapixel count. The main reason is because of something called "Crop Factor." Look it up if you wish, but here's the gist of it: Imagine a slide projector that is projecting an image on a screen. Now picture the same image, same projector, but the screen is now much smaller... what do you see? You only see the center portion of the image, right? Kinda like zooming in, isn't it? In this analogy, the screen is the sensor. This illustrates how smaller sensors by their very nature inherently "zoom in" on a subject as compared to larger sensors. Now try another experiment: Look at a distant object - say a car that is 500 feet away. Now find another object that is even farther away but in the same field of view - say a tree that is 600 feet away. How much do your eyes need to refocus when you glance back and forth between the car and the tree? Not much, right? Now hold your hand up close to your face and focus on it. Find another object a foot or so behind your hand - say your desk. Glance back and forth between the two. How much do your eyes need to refocus as you switch between the hand and the desk? Quite a lot, right? Your eyes have to refocus much more when glancing between the hand and the desk than they do when glancing between the car and the tree, even though the hand and the desk are separated by only a foot or so while the car and the tree are separated by 100 feet. This illustrates how depth of field increases with distance. Now put the two experiments together - how do you think a sensor that is basically always zoomed in (i.e. a small sensor) treats depth of field? The answer is that it pretty much treats everything like the tree and the car. Smaller sensors have a wide depth of field. Everything is in focus. While this may be good sometimes (like for landscapes), much more often you will want to control depth of field so that NOT everything is in focus. If you want to take a picture of your kid (or your lunch, or a pretty flower, or the dog, or million other subjects), you don't want to see everything in the background. You just want to see your kid (lunch, flower, dog, etc). This is called selective focus, or subject isolation, and cameras with small sensors do it rather poorly. That's why you just simply cannot get good portraits with a P&S... the sensors are too small. Long winded explanation, I know, but here's my point: You really want a larger sensor and the K-01 has one. As far as I know, it's the ONLY mirrorless camera with an APS-C size sensor. APS-C is the standard sensor size for DSLRs. Anything else is smaller and thus inferior (except Full Frame which is relatively new and very expensive).

Now for the bad news (you knew not everything could be perfect in K-01 land, right?). First of all and most annoying to me, the green and red button placement is terrible. They should both be located next to the shutter release button. It sounds like a minor thing, but moving these buttons would be a huge ergonomic improvement, as you have to reach across the top of the camera to hit them now and that's not easy to do when you're trying to hold the camera stead to take a shot.

Second of all is the lack of a viewfinder. Now I have to say, there are legitimate reasons why they left it off. For one thing it means several fewer moving parts to potentially break, as the K-01 has no mirror to flip up and out of the way each time you take a picture. Secondly, folks with glasses or declining vision may prefer the LCD screen anyway. So I can't really criticize the lack of a viewfinder - just point it out in case you didn't notice (which I'm sure you did!).

Third, the K-01 does not offer continuous autofocus (AF-C). This is only really an issue if you take a lot of action shots (sporting events, wildlife, race cars, that sort of thing). AF-C just means that you can track a moving subject with the shutter button half-depressed and the camera will continuously adjust the focus, so that when you press it the rest of the way, it will already be focused and can take the picture immediately. The lack of AF-C means that you have to keep half-pressing the shutter button if you're trying to track a moving object. Look, if action shots are your raison d'etre, then look elsewhere. The best action cameras have viewfinders anyway (so that you can keep the camera steady against your head and locked to your eye) and the K-01 'aint got one. Also, if you follow my advice and buy an old prime lens for your K-01 then you'll be focusing manually anyway, so the lack of AF-C won't matter.

The K-01 isn't built for speed - it forces you to slow down and compose your shots. To pay attention to framing, subject orientation, depth of field, dynamic range. It makes you think and this is a good thing.

What others have said about the rubber accessory door is totally true. Fortunately it seems like durable rubber so I don't think it will rip off. But still... seriously? I'll bet someone could make a few bucks selling aftermarket K-01 solid metal accessory doors. In the meantime, just pay attention. If you close it the right way it will usually stay put.

Finally I must point out that the K-01 is very well built. I love how solid it feels, but if you think it's a pocket camera, then you'd better have big pockets. It's kind of like the golden retriever who thinks he's a lap dog.

To wrap up my long winded review, I'll make a few recommendations, some of which have already been mentioned above:

1) Look for a used manual focus prime lens. Any of the old SMCP Pentax 50mm lenses would be great. I've found the M F/1.7 to be exceptional, but I've also used the F/1.4 and F/2.0 M series 50mm lenses and they are almost as good.

2) If you do use an older manual lens, you'll need to enable the "Use aperture ring" setting. Press the menu button and then the left arrow button and you'll see it. If you don't do this it will just give you an error when using any old lens that does not have auto aperture.

3) Disable the annoying Mark Newsom startup splash screen. You can figure out how to disable it by hitting the Menu button. It's somewhere in the LCD configuration. This will save you a second or so whenever you turn it on.

4) Program the green button to Action in M/TAv Mode > Tv Shift. This will tell the camera to meter the scene and choose the appropriate shutter speed whenever you press the green button (as long as you're shooting in M mode). You'll need to do this for any lens lacking auto aperture or else the camera will hold the aperture at its widest setting always. Note that if you buy an old prime lens which DOES have auto aperture (the Pentax "A" series or higher), you can skip this. It makes a good case for buying "A" series lenses instead of "M" lenses, but really, pressing the green button before taking the shot is not a big deal once you get used to it. And the "M" lenses are cheaper.

5) Program the red button for depth of field preview. This is a very handy feature and more cameras should offer it.

6) Shoot in RAW mode. If you're not used to RAW mode, then get used to it because it offers way more flexibility in post processing.

7) Enable focus peaking and leave it on. I can't think of any reason to ever turn it off.

All in all the K-01 is a fun camera to use once you get used to it. If it still cost $900 like it did when it first came out I wouldn't give it quite such a high mark. But as the price has dropped to under $300, you can definitely get 5-star photos without breaking the bank. You just have to spend a little time and get to know this interesting little camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Image Quality, November 7, 2012
What a fun little camera! The first thing that impressed me was the build quality. I know it looks pretty ugly in the pictures and resemble a plastic toy, but the fit and finish is really quite impressive - materials alone, I would prefer this over, say, Canon T#i series. This has so much going for it - takes standard Pentax-K mount lenses, standard flash, mic-in, 30fps 1080P recording, etc. THE IMAGE QUALITY IS SICK. I mean holy cow sick. Does not compromise my lens at all. Only cons are 1) lack of viewfinder and 2) slowish AF if you're coming from a DSLR... but I knew about these going in, so I am not disappointed. I highly recommend this camera, especially at the prices they are going for at this moment.