5.0 out of 5 stars The Alternative that Isn't
A simply spectacular tool. I am a Pentaxian for sure, but I have used many other brands including the Big Two, and nothing comes close at this price point. You get a modern update of the highly acclaimed 16 MP Sony sensor in a fully weather-sealed body with a matching (high quality) kit lens for under $700!

The body is unbelievable rugged for being plastic. It...
Published 12 months ago by bsamcash

3.0 out of 5 stars Repair process can be challenging.
Biggest issue so far is that the camera had a problem in the electronics. The camera required service. The camera otherwise is a joy to use. The repair facility Pentax / Ricoh uses in the USA is very bad at customer communication. The repair appears to have been successful but it wasn't the best experience , it took longer than anticipated and there was zero feedback...
Published 5 months ago by Brad Shea

5.0 out of 5 stars The Alternative that Isn't, January 13, 2014

The body is unbelievable rugged for being plastic. It makes every other DSLR in its price range feel like a cheap toy. Plus, the grip is hands down the best I have ever felt at any price. It hugs my hand and locks in place--no need for a hand strap. The grip and solid, unyielding body are why I chose this model over the K-5II.

At low ISOs, the older sensor is on par or maybe a little noisier than competing models, but when the lights go down, this thing shines. Zero noise gain when well exposed, but if you have to push say a 3200 RAW image, you will be blown away at the headroom the K-50 has in its 12 bit files. And if you can find noise (by pushing), it's not that gross banding we are used to seeing with cameras that shoot for marking megapixels rather than image quality. It is a gentle, film-like fine grain in very large prints. And this is for color, if you're converting to B&W, you can take this thing all the way through its ISO range and make beautiful small prints.

The menu system is as near perfect as I can trust engineers to make it. They either are, or work with photographers. Everything you need is one to three clicks away. I tried using a D5200 recently, and I couldn't even figure out how to set it to RAW, I had to look it up. Then ISO took me five minutes. It was ridiculous. I guarantee you will not have this problem with any Pentax DSLR from 2010 to today.

The lens is pretty brilliant for a kit lens. It is weather-sealed and solid. The zoom is very well dampened. It feels high-quality. I have used many kit lenses in the past from many manufacturers, and this one is the best. It even beats Panasonic's micro four-thirds kit lens in build. Image quality wise, it's about on par with others; by that I mean it needs to be stopped down to shine. But it is very sharp throughout the range when it has plenty of light.

Now for the bad: The out-of-camera JPEGs suck. Pentax has never had great JPEG processing. This sensor begs to be left alone. Shoot RAW and use a calibrated monitor to edit the images (it records in DNG, so there's no worry there).

Moreover, this body needs good glass. Please don't be a hipster and buy a high-quality camera and only use the kit lens. This is a serious tool, not a toy, so invest in decent lenses. Luckily, the K-mount has among the most expansive and diverse lens collection in photography (it's why I shoot Pentax). But you don't have to break the bank, just go to your favorite flea market or internet auction site and look for old manual lenses. You'll be surprised and the quality that can be had for under 50 USD.

So there it is. My very first ever Amazon product review. Yes, I love this camera that much. It is not just an alternative brand. And this is not an alternative camera at all because the competition doesn't come close at this price.

Bottom line: If you are looking for your first DSLR, or if you're considering switching mounts because you're growing tired of the half-adding and broken promises the Big Two have been accused of lately, you cannot go wrong with the Pentax K-50.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect first time DSLR, March 8, 2014
I just finished 2 years of shooting all over the world with my Canon EOS 60D. That camera was the best DSLR that I had handled in a long time, and bested Nikons 5200 by a long shot in my opinion. I now shoot wildlife and outdoor sporting photography and needed something that could stand up to the elements and provide high quality photos. This Pentax K30 and K50 series of cameras fit this bill perfectly, and after much consideration I went with the K50. I also purchased another WR lens in 200mm to accompany this one. The K50 body and both lenses have proven to exceed my expectations of a camera and lens system in this price range. These products easily compete with Canons and Nikons that sell for twice the cost. All specs aside, the focusing is fast and precise, the options are very extensive but lack in some areas compared to other makes, and the end result has pleased me over and over again without fail. If you need a camera to take on a rafting trip, rainy day, or want something that can hold up to dust storms in Iraq/Afghanistan, this is the clear choice for you. As a military contractor and avid amateur photographer, this camera suits my needs perfectly, and produces images at equal quality to my EOS 60D which cost me $1200. I paid $450 for this kit because the seller sold me a returned product and Amazon provided me with a 20% refund due to that. My point and shoot cost more than that, so I am beyond happy with this purchase and look forward to years of shooting with this very competitively priced and engineered marvel of a DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first DSLR, June 30, 2014
I'm a relatively new photo enthusiast. Almost a year ago, I got a $300 bridge superzoom (Sony DSC-HX200V), and now I'm hooked. I started learning some of the more advanced features, but I wanted to "get serious" with a DSLR. (I love the Sony for what it is, but the 1/2.3” sensor can only do so much, and it doesn’t have a thread for lens attachments like filters.)

I'm glad I chose the K-50. If this is roughly where you're at, and your emphasis is on still photography, this is a great choice — especially if you're into outdoor photography, at all.

The features and image quality just can't be beat at anything like this price. (If you don’t need weather sealing, I believe the K-500 is basically the same camera, and it is ridiculously cheap.) The value is most obvious with the pro-style features, like dual control wheels and weather sealing; get ready to spend over twice as much for those features with one of the two major brands. (If you want to use it outside much, the sealing is the killer feature. We're going on an Alaska adventure this summer, so the weather resistance sealed the deal for me.) Another major benefit is the in-camera shake reduction system. This means the telephoto lenses can be cheaper than IS telephoto lenses for the big 2. (Compare the prices on the weather-resistant 55-300mm Pentax lens versus the not-weather-resistant Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens.) The burst shooting, 6 fps, is downright crazy.

I made this choice after reviewing just about every online image quality comparison I could find, and I thought the K-50's IQ was generally better than and very rarely less satisfying than the output of an SL1 or d3300.

Now that I own the camera, I'm already very impressed, and that's without yet learning how to do much with the manual modes. AF is super fast and very accurate. (If it's focused on the "wrong" thing, just point it at the "right" thing, half-press the shutter, keep the shutter half-depressed to keep the focus locked where you had it, and frame and shoot as intended. It's so fast that I can do all of that in about half a second, and I'm still not even a very experienced amateur.) The full auto and scene modes are very good. Right out of the box, if you're at least kind of knowledgeable about the basics of photography — if you can frame a shot and not work too hard against what the lighting is giving you — you'll get good-to-great shots right away.

Kit lenses are solid as well. I basically just leave the 55-200mm on for running around. It makes for great portraits with fantastic bokeh/depth of field. (Put everything on auto, set the zoom length to roughly 85-100mm, and then start taking awesome portraits pretty much instantly.) It zooms well enough for kids’ sports and not-super-distant wildlife shots, too. (For our trip to Alaska, my spouse — who’s also pretty good at framing a shot and holding a camera steady — will carry the superzoom for those shots that an SLR can’t get without a ridiculously large & expensive zoom lens.)

There are a lot of fun effects and other post-processing tools, too, if you'd rather do these in-camera than in software. (I wouldn't recommend that strategy generally, but deleting the bad shots and trying some minor processing is a fun way to kill the ride back from a day's adventures, and I've found at least one effect that's easier in-camera than on a computer.)

The real viewfinder is also very good; it has 100% coverage — another feature not common in this price range — which helps with framing shots. (For those with slightly diminished eyesight, they have a neat accessory that B&H should but does not suggest: the Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53, which magnifies the viewefinder by an extra 40%. It gets 4.5 stars on B&H, with most of those saying their vision “isn’t as good as it used to be” and it's helped substantially with manual focus via the viewfinder.)

The Live View is also very good, and if you want to use manual focus with Live View, you can zoom in a lot closer to focus, a feature I've already found helpful.

This camera is thus great if you want to learn to take pictures (more) like a pro. A lot of reviews suggest it’s also great if you have film SLR experience and want to feel like you're getting back on that bike (not least since the mount works with most legacy Pentax lenses; for newbies like me, that just means some fun on eBay down the road). Even if you just want something fairly easy that kicks tail right out of the box, this is a fine choice and a great buy.

Like all cameras, it does the best in outdoor daylight. (If it’s very sunny, shots can get a little washed out, but this is also really true for all brands. Thus, I'd recommend a circular polarizing filter.) It still does pretty darned well in low lighting; images get noisy by 1600 ISO, if not a touch sooner, but the built-in flash is lightyears ahead of what you’ll get out of even a bridge camera. Even with higher ISOs with no flash, though, it still holds its own; for the price, it does better than the competition, but don't expect it to work miracles in poorly-lit scenes. Here’s where I’ve started to tinker with the more advanced settings. The Sensitivity Priority mode works well, and I can cap the ISO at 800 or 1600, then just be sure to shoot with a steadier hand (exposure will get longer to compensate) and shortest possible focal length (to allow in more light). The short focal length in particular is a sensible compromise; low-light shooting is usually up close (indoors), so just put the 18-55mm lens on and start from there. Again, full auto does fine here, too, but I’ve already gotten even better with just some basic trips into more advanced settings.

Here are the disadvantages for this camera, none of which compromise my core purposes for acquiring it.

1. It's loud as heck, by contemporary camera standards. The AF motor makes a real ruckus, and you could record the shutter to use it as a sound effect. If you put it on fast burst mode, it sounds not a little bit like a machine gun. If stealth street photography is your thing, this is probably not the camera you want. (I even went with the red model; makes it easier to find me at a parade.)

2. Out-of-the-box at least, the video is just passable — a bit worse than what I've seen from budget Nikon SLRs and definitely not as good as Canons. I think I can do better once I learn more — and buy some extra gear, like an external sound recorder (good idea no matter what SLR you use) — but I still have small hope that I'll ever get GREAT video out of it. Don't fool yourself that a $1,000 SLR kit will match a $1,000 video camera, of course, but this is definitely a still photographer's camera.

3. People complain about the battery life being less than with other brands. I haven't even had that experience at all; I took about 1200 daytime shots in about 3 hours on one charge, many of them using LiveView (the screen is plenty bright and clear for most angles, even though it doesn’t articulate) and many in rapid-fire bursts. Apparently, other brands can do even better than this. In any case, I bought the off-brand backup battery and it works perfectly as well.

4. The kit lenses have different barrel thread sizes. You’ll probably want to get a 49-52mm step-up ring so that you don’t need to buy two sets of filters. 49mm is the size on the longer zoom lens; accessories are somewhat easier to come by in the 52mm size. If you’re in the city, I found a new one in B&H's Used department in store. For two dollars. The website lists the same device starting at seven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K-50: Incredible feature set at this price point, July 31, 2014
TL;DR: I've owned this camera for almost 3 months now and highly recommend it. Canon and Nikon are great, but this camera is unbeatable at this price point, particularly with its weather resistance and great photography features. Plus who doesn't love underdogs?

This is a great first time digital SLR. I was originally planning on getting something for under $500, be it used or new. A friend who shoots a Canon 7D recommended the Canon T3i which I was almost completely settled on, but then I started reading reviews online and found this camera. I simply couldn't ignore the incredible feature set of camera at this price point, namely:

1) Weather resistance
2) Pentaprism viewfinder with 100% coverage
3) Image stabilization built into the body
4) Dual control dials (front and rear)
5) 1/6000 sec. max shutter speed
6) 6 frames per second (FPS) continuous shooting

To get these features from Canon or Nikon, you need to spend a few hundred more typically. But for me, the weather sealing was the biggest selling point.

WEATHER RESISTANCE
I took this camera to the beach a few weeks ago. Holding it in hand, I double-checked to make sure all the rubber port covers were closed, then walked out into the surf and snapped a bunch of great shots of my wife and kids playing in the water. My only concern was not actually dropping it into the water which due to the pressure of depth might get water past the seals. Fortunately, hand-holding this camera is easy because it has a great handgrip, deep and rubberized. The camera was splashed with seawater and had sand blown on it which stuck due to it being wet, but I wasn't worried, it kept on working. After returning home, I rinsed it off in the shower, dried it with a towel, and it looked good as new. Incredible if you ask me!

Update 2015-01-09: If anyone was wondering, my K-50 is still working fine and still looks as good as new! This is by far my favorite feature of this camera that I can't live without. I love never having to worry about dust and moisture when using this camera!

PENTAPRISM VIEWFINDER
The viewfinder is nice and bright with a pentaprism finder vs the pentamirror you'll find in comparable Canon/Nikon SLRs. It's got 100% coverage, so what you see in the viewfinder is what you'll see in your shot, just the way it should be. I try to frame my shots perfectly in the camera and avoid cropping later. Your autofocus points and confirmation are shown in the viewfinder along with your light meter and the most important controls. With practice, you can change settings to get the shot you want without taking your eye out of the viewfinder very much.

IMAGE STABILIZATION
This is primarily intended to reduce handshake, allowing you to use slower shutter speeds during handheld shooting. The bonus of this feature is that no matter what lens you use, you will benefit from the image stabilization (unlike Canon and Nikon who integrate IS/VR into the lenses, adding to their cost). However, unlike IS built into the lenses, this in-camera image stabilization (called Shake Reduction by Pentax) doesn't actually show its effect through your viewfinder, due to the fact that it moves the camera's image sensor to compensate for movement. With it enabled, I seem to be able to get steady shots with a shutter speed 2 stops slower than 1/(focal length x 1.5). I haven't tested it by turning it off and comparing the results, so I just trust that it's working. Another bonus of this feature is that it allows you to adjust composition before shooting. If you use live view, you can move the image up/down, left/right, or tilt it a bit. I've never actually taken photos using this, but I imagine it might be useful by allowing for minute adjustments when shooting from a tripod to set up the perfect shot.

DUAL CONTROL DIALS
Dual control dials are great when shooting in manual or one of the "priority" modes. You can quickly adjust your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO while staying in the camera's viewfinder. They're also fully configurable, so you can change them to work however you like. Update 8/28/2014: One thing I've found is that it's not possible to reverse the direction that the dials work in.

18-55mm WR LENS
It also happens that this kit lens has very good optical quality. I compared it to an original SMC Pentax 50mm F1.4 prime lens I bought off of Craigslist, which is considered to be a very sharp prime. I can hardly tell any difference between the image quality these 2 lenses produce. This speaks very well for the 18-55. And it's weather sealed. It is a bit noisy during autofocusing, but if that's a concern you can buy lenses for this camera with quieter internal focusing motors; however, they are a bit more expensive. For a kit lens, this thing is great.

1/6000 MAX SHUTTER SPEED
1/6000 is half a stop faster than the 1/4000 offered on comparable Canon/Nikon DSLRs. $6k pro camera bodies typically go up to 1/8000. You'll rarely use it, but if you need it (say, to use a really wide aperture for shallow depth of field on a bright day), it's there for you.

6 FPS CONTINUOUS SHOOTING
The higher FPS you have, the more shots your camera will take in action sequences. If you want to take photos of your kids or pets frolicking around or playing sports, you want as many FPS as you can get. Pros shooting sports for a living use beastly 3 lb., $6k cameras like the Nikon D4s and Canon EOS 1D X which shoot at 10+ FPS. But we're spending less than $500 here, so 6 FPS is pretty darn good. Canon and Nikon's comparable models come in at 5 FPS. The more shots you have of an action sequence, the more options you'll have to choose from, and thus the greater the likelihood will be of having a keeper of your kid smashing his/her first home run or of Fido's priceless tongue-flapping-to-the-side expression.

AUTOFOCUS IN LOW LIGHT
I wanted to add a note about autofocus in low light in response to the criticism of what is considered the most helpful review on this site as of this writing. This reviewer stated that his camera hunts for focus in "med room lighting situations". While I don't own any Canon or Nikon cameras and thus can't compare the autofocus of the K-50 to them like he can, I can tell you that I do not have any autofocus problems in any lighting situations. The only time my camera hunts for focus is in very dim lighting situations. I'm talking indoors at night where my subject is in a shadow of a room lit only by a small tabletop lamp (with lampshade) 20 ft away. Otherwise it focuses every time. Note that this is WITHOUT using the camera's AF Assist lamp, a toggle-able feature which shines a very bright green light towards the subject during autofocus. With this lamp, you should be able to focus in any situation. I turned mine off but if I ever need it, it's there and it works.

Update 2015-01-09: I've been pondering this, so I decided to geek out and compare the AF sensitivity specs of the K-50 with its competitors. These specs are quoted from each respective manufacturer's product webpage:

Pentax K-50: EV-1 to 18 (ISO 100)
Canon T5i: EV -0.5 - 18 (at room temperature and ISO 100, based on Canon's testing standards)
Nikon D3300: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F)

So Pentax and Nikon are equal in low light AF sensitivity, with Canon a slight step behind.

SUMMARY
I highly recommend the Pentax K-50 to anyone, new or experienced in photography, looking for a solid digital SLR. The weather resistance sealed the deal for me. Maybe someday I'll "upgrade" to a high-end weather-resistant Canon or Nikon full-frame camera, but for now, and for around $500, this camera is a winner.

Also, if you're willing to wait a couple of months, you can order a custom-colored K-50 from Pentax's website which I think is pretty cool. I just wanted it to be all black so was fine with this stock model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great daylight photos., September 26, 2013
UPDATE 12/2014 - I am putting my review back up a notch. I found two firmware updates that seemed to have improved the ability to take low light photos significantly. I was ready to pack it up with this camera when I stumbled acrosss them in a last ditch effort to figure out my issues. Not enough time with it yet to see the extent but it appears to be working much better than before in all lighting conditions.

UPDATE 4/2014 - I have found a significant drawback with this unit that has really taken the lustre off of the camera and has left me very disappointed. The unit stinks in low light. It will hunt for focus and not find it, flash or no flash. It doesnt even have to be very low lighting conditions. I have used other canon and nikon units and they do not have the same issue. The camera has been getting significantly less usage since that. I still really like it for daylight shots but look elsewhere or try it before you keep it if standard indoor room lighting levels are important to you. If it were not for the lenses purchased I would have returned it to costco and looked for something else.

Original review:
Purchased this unit from costco after researching reviews on comparable Nikon and Canon units. All but one of the tech reviews raved about this camera. The plus side is the unit is "weather proof" (still not sure how that is defined). The reviews in general favored this unit in overall image quality over the Canon T5i rebel which was the other unit I was comparing it to. This was less expensive than the Canon and weatherproof. Out of the box the unit is very easy to pick up and start shooting with if you have any experience with DSLR cameras. Very intuitive menu design. Overall build feels very solid and fits my hands well. Photo quality is amazing in the little bit of playing I have done with it. I need to work on learning the advanced features of the unit (which are many) to do a better job on exposure. I was seeing my subjects under exposed a bit in daylight. Playing with some of the settings has helped. I don't fault the camera for this, but my relative inexperience. I coupled this two lens set with a fast 50 lens for portrait shooting. Going off topic: I LOVE this lens. First prime lens and am really impressed with the bokeh effect I am capable of producing, nothing less than stunning with this camera. The combination has really been a huge step up in what I can produce over my D50. Going off topic again:I also added a class 10 eye-fi card 16gb for instant photo transfer. Love it. Third unit and to me they are very easy to setup and use, never had an issue with them. I have seen nothing negative yet about the camera. Like the color combinations. Got mine in white and it looks classy. I need to dig in and learn how to really unleash the potential of the camera.

I am excited about the "weather proof" aspects of the design and need to learn more about it. I purchased an Olympus Tough TG1 last year for less than perfect and underwater conditions and it does the job it's designed to do well but lacks the control and overall image quality of a DSLR. Being able to take this outside without paranoia over any exposure to the elements weighed heavily in my decision over the Canon and Nikon (I was really leaning towards the Canon after having used it). Just make sure that the lenses you are going to use carry the weather proof rating also. The fast 50 does not.

I am really looking forward to learning this camera better and have no regrets over buying it sight unseen over the canon and nikons. So far I am amazed with the quality of shots that I have produced. I will update this later when I get a little more time with the unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax makes great cameras - don't think everything is all Canon and Nikon, November 24, 2013
I've had this camera for over a month and love it! A professional photographer recommended it to me and at first I was a little hesitant because it was hard to find in stores and it wasn't as popular as Canon or Nikon models. But I'm very happy I went with a Pentax. It's the first time I've bought a DSLR and so far, it's been pretty easy to use. I'm still playing around with some of the settings, but overall, it's been great. I had been using a Canon Rebel (that I basically had inherited) and this takes MUCH better pictures. Brighter colors, better flash, faster, etc. My main purpose of this camera is to take photos for my child's elementary school yearbook and I'm really impressed by how they look so far. It has a lot of great filters and effect settings and I find the menu is easy to use. I also love that it's weatherproof. A previous point and shoot camera that I had ended up getting dust inside and became unusable. I would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the price, December 12, 2014
I purchased this camera after my old nikon d 3000 gave way. Initially I was looking for mirrorless vs DSLR. Things that tilted me towards DSLR was,
I have used it before I know how a DSLR works
Choices of lenses are far more and it includes not only lenses from same company but Sigma, Tamron etc
Choices range in the price bracket

Then I looked for many nikon camera as I have nikon lenses, I specifically looked at D 5200 as only body was almost the same price range as this camera. But I choose this camera as
It has a image stabilization and some of you might think that lenses have Vibration reduction but its not same. There is still blurriness with VR but with image stabilization I won't say it's totally gone but it's minimal. I have a 3 month old son so the first pic's that I clicked from this camera were perfect, crystal clear.
Has a larger view finder
Weather proof
I have not takes any video yet so will update on that but I am a fan of still photography and I don't care about videos.
I have attached one pic with slow shutter speed clicked at dusk.

5.0 out of 5 stars These cameras are excellent for the beginner and advanced amateur, September 10, 2014
E. Mencer "redbird" (College Park, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
Anyone looking to buy a DSLR and don't give the Pentax a look are cheating themselves. These cameras are excellent for the beginner and advanced amateur. I've used Pentax cameras beginning with a Pentax Spotmatic and several Pentax film SLRs. The Pentax K-50 is my third Pentax DSLR. I just upgraded from a KR. Each time I've upgraded they keep getting better and better. This is one of the only cameras in its class with weather proofing. The menu is easy to use and intuitive, it has two dials for changing aperture and shutter and many other pro features you would want on this type of camera. I want go over all the specs here. Don't be stuck on Canon and Nikon, both are excellent brands. Take a look at Pentax. You will be in for a pleasant surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera for the beginning enthuasist, with plenty of options to keep even the budding professional occupied., April 29, 2014
This is my second Pentax camera, this replacing my older Pentax K-r which has and continues to serve me faithfully. The Pentax k-50 however builds upon the older design by adding several additional upgrades. Some Pros/Cons.

Pros:
- Being fully weather sealed.
- 16.3-Megapixel CMOS Sesnsor
- In Body, Sensor-Shift Shake Reduction. This is something you find on cameras at twice the price point of the K-50. It also means that the hundreds of thousands of manual lens for Pentax dating back some 40 years (including all K-Mount and Screw type mount) can be used in this camera with the senor shake reduction features.
- Very intuitive easy to use interface. You can pick it up and start shooting right away.
- Very fast auto-focus acquisition, even in low light. The AF mode has programmable zones so you can meter your shots depending on the environment.
- Can shoot at ISO 51000, but that results in high levels of 'noise' in the picture. ISO levels up to 12800 should be sufficient for most shots.
- Has 11 preset customizing options for JPEGs in camera. Also has individual settings to tweak 7 other setting like saturation, hue, contras, B&W etc.
- Battery adapter allows the camera to run off AA batteries, though you should ideally use rechargeable NiCad or LiOn batteries. It will chew up regular alkaline AAs.
- The build quality and hand grip are solid, all the buttons are placed logically can can be accessed by just your right hand on the fly. Good tactile feel on all the buttons.
- Full frame pentaprism viewfinder, basically what you see is what you get.
- Full 1080p video.
- Customizeable in dozens and dozens of different colors from the Pentax website.

The Cons
- The continuous Hi mode where you can shoot 30 JPEG frames at 6 FPS has above average loud shutter noise.
- There is only a small built in mono microphone located at the top of the flash when shooting video. The sound quality is ok for shooting indoors, but picks up excessive ambient wind noise when shooting outdoors. As of now, there are no attachments for third party microphones.
- Pentax was recently acquired by Ricoh Imaging, so long term support is a little suspect.

It's a shame Pentax does not spend more on marketing like the big boys (Nikon/Canon). However, if you are willing to go against the conventional trend and are not fully committed to a DSLR system, you cant get a better value than the Pentax. This camera has features that are not available in many others in its price point. The ideal comparison here is with the Nikon D7100 or the Canon EoS 7D, and while the Nikon has a few upgrades like higher MP, the Pentax has it beat in all other features (AF, LiveView, Shooting Modes, In Camera Editing, in body Image Stabilization). In addition, the Pentax also costs nearly 50% less and can use any previous K or S type lens mount. Pentax also has a very active user community online that offer support and guidance, which takes some of the fear out of them being acquired by Ricoh. Actually the biggest knock on this camera is that it is in many ways functionally similar to the K-30, so you might be able to find a better deal on Amazon on a K-30 bundle. This camera though is a solid performer in all aspects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, September 23, 2014
Great image quality
Great ergonomics
Many features that a similar prices nikon/canon will not have
Some people are saying it hunts for focus in low light, I can't imagine how low they mean, as it quickly finds focus even in a room lit only by a candle for me. Maybe they don't know how to use contrast detection autofocus.