Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reductio..." and save 68% off the $1,249.95 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
4 Year Camera Accident Protection Planfrom Warrantech
- Includes Parts and Labor coverage plus accidental damages caused by drops and spills
- Repair or Replacement Promise on Every Product and Never a Deductible
- 5 Day Repair Guarantee on Depot Service
- Contract Delivered by E-mail, Register and File Claims Online or by Phone
- Excludes Aerial Drones and Radio Controlled Devices
Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Weather Resistant Lens
|Price:||$990.34 & FREE Shipping|
|You Save:||$259.61 (21%)|
- High-resolution, 14.6-megapixel CMOS sensor; compact, magnesium alloy body
- Kit includes Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL weather-resistant lens
- Weather resistant, dustproof, and coldproof (14 degrees F, -10 degrees C)
- Fast 5.2 fps shooting with the new PRIME II Image processing engine; top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec freezes even the fastest action in well-lit settings
- 3-inch LCD; Live View mode, with contrast AF, Face Detection, and optional histogram, grid, and bright/dark area display
- Capture images to SD/SDHC memory cards (not included)
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5.21 fps|
|Effective Still Resolution||14.6 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||3,200|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||100|
|Exposure Control Type|
|External Memory Included||No|
|Flash Sync Speed||1/180_sec|
|Focus Type||automatic with manual|
|Item Dimensions||7.95 x 8.82 x 8 inches|
|Item Weight||4.65 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||14 grams|
|Lithium Battery Weight||1.116 ounces|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description||1 Year|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||14.6 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Shipping Weight||4.5 pounds|
|Video Capture Format||avi|
|Video Capture Resolution||720p_hd|
|Viewfinder Type||optical viewfinder|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
From the Manufacturer
The Pentax K-7 features a rugged, yet compact new body design, a new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up, and advanced features such as HD Movie Capture and new, unique-to-Pentax camera controls. Compatible with every Pentax lens ever made, the high-end K-7 features an abundance of long-anticipated new and improved features that are exclusive to the camera and combine to make it a tremendous photography tool.
The most significant features of the Pentax K-7 that have never been offered before in any K series digital camera, and in some cases any camera, include:
- A compact, magnesium alloy body that is one of the smallest in the advanced photo enthusiast category to reduce bulk and allow users to travel light while maintaining durability and build quality (seven percent smaller than the K20D and up to 25 percent smaller than other cameras in the same class).
- A new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise, adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HD quality movies. It is the ideal combination of resolution and file size, allowing very large (poster size and larger) prints and cropping flexibility.
- A new 77-segment metering system quickly and accurately determines exposure for even the most complex and dynamic lighting situations.
- HD Movie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperture control, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphone terminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second.
- An HDMI port with selectable output resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, and auto) offers high resolution playback of images and video on modern high definition TV’s.
- A Dedicated AF-assist lamp further improves autofocus response and accuracy in low light conditions.
- An Electronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons to minimize post-capture editing.
- An innovative in-camera Lens Correction function that electronically adjusts for Distortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations to maximize image quality with DA series lenses.
- A dedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movement during long exposures.
- A High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combines them in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposure areas of images.
- A composition adjustment feature in Live View allows minor shifts in the framing and composition of images using the Shake Reduction mechanism without having to physically move the camera. This feature is ideal for tripod use.
- A programmable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and image ownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in metatag data.
Pentax K7 Digital SLR Highlights
The K-7 is built exceptionally solid and durable with a chassis made of a highly rigid stainless-steel alloy and a housing made of a durable but lightweight magnesium-steel alloy. Construction includes 77 seals for weather, dust and cold-resistance for reliable operation even under harsh conditions and at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The camera also features a newly designed shutter unit providing a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and the outstanding durability to withstand 100,000 shutter releases. Despite all these features, the K-7 is one of the most compact and functional photo enthusiast level models in the market.
High-quality image reproduction
The K-7 incorporates a newly developed CMOS image sensor measuring 23.4mm by 15.6mm and featuring a high-speed, four-channel image data readout. With approximately 14.6 effective megapixels, this image sensor more accurately produces fine-detailed, gradation-rich images. With the adverse effects of digital noise significantly reduced, the sensitivity may be increased from ISO 100 up to the highest level of ISO 6400 (via a custom function).
High-performance, high-speed PRIME II imaging engine
The K-7 features the newly developed PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II, an upgrade of the original PRIME, as its imaging engine. This new imaging engine offers faster data-processing speed for higher quality images with richer gradation and more accurate color rendition. The system also offers high-speed movie data transmission.
The K-7 adds a new movie recording function, extending the benefits of SLR photography to the world of movie shooting: For instance, reduce the depth of field to make the subject stand out, or use different lenses to create distinctive visual effects. Beautiful movie clips can recorded at different sizes--640 x 416 pixels, 1536 x 1024 pixels, or 1280 x 720 pixels (16:9 high-definition TV proportions)--at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. The K-7 is also equipped with an HDMI terminal and an external microphone input terminal for high quality sound to match your videos.
Large, easy-to-view 3.0 inch wide-view LCD monitor with 921,000 dot resolution
The K-7 features a large 3.0 inch color LCD monitor with 921,000 dot resolution. The wide-view design allows the photographer to check the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees both vertically and horizontally, facilitating low and high-angle shooting using the Live View function.
High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 5.2 images per second
The high-speed continuous shooting mode captures as many as 40 images (in JPEG recording format) at a maximum speed of approximately 5.2 images per second, allowing photographers to follow the movement of an active subject or preserve a sequence of the subject’s expressions.
New 77-segment multi-pattern metering
Newly-developed for the K-7, a sophisticated 77-segment multi-pattern metering system greatly improves light-metering accuracy. By accurately analyzing various types of data (such as the image’s composition and format between upright and horizontal, and the subject’s distance and magnification) transmitted from the sensors in the camera body, this system greatly improves the accuracy of exposure control.
Live View image confirmation with Face Recognition AF and high-speed continuous shooting modes
The K-7 features the Live View function, which allows the user to view the image on the LCD monitor during shooting. This function is available not only in the Contrast AF mode, which optimizes the focus based on the subject’s contrast, but also in the Face Recognition AF mode, which automatically and accurately focuses on the subject’s face. A newly developed diaphragm-control mechanism allows the Live View function be used during Continuous Shooting mode with the mirror at lock-up position.
Optical viewfinder provides 100 percent field of view
The K-7 glass prism finder offers 100 percent field of view and an approximately 0.92X magnification to facilitate focusing and framing operations. A new Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen improves focusing accuracy during manual-focus operation.
The K-7’s new SAFOX VIII Plus wide-frame autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). By adding the light source type to its data range, and driven by a greatly improved algorithm, Pentax improved the AF system assuring reliable, responsive autofocus operation superior in speed and accuracy to the previous system. The K-7 also incorporates an AF-assist spotbeam projector in its built-in flash unit to improve autofocusing accuracy in the dark.
Next-generation Shake Reduction mechanism*
The K-7 features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by approximately 2.5 to 4 shutter stops, assuring sharp, blur-free images even under demanding shooting conditions. This innovative mechanism is compatible with all Pentax interchangeable lenses ever produced. This new-generation version allows complete shift freedom, including rotationally, of the image-sensor regardless of the camera’s inclination. The mechanism also provides user-friendly new functions such as Automatic Level Adjustment and Minute Angle Adjustment (up/down, right/left and clockwise/counterclockwise) to help photographers compose images exactly to their specifications.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism are the Pentax K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
New DR II mechanism to minimize dust spots
The K-7 is equipped with a newly developed Dust Removal (DR II) mechanism to more effectively remove dust and minimize spots on recorded images even after changing lenses in dust-prone outdoor settings. Using a piezo-ceramic vibration action, the system shifts or vibrates the low-pass filter located in front of the CMOS image sensor at supersonic speed to remove dust more efficiently. A unique dust-alert system also allows users to check for dust adhering to the low-pass filter prior to actual shooting.
Custom Image function to easily create desired visual effects
The K-7’s Custom Image function lets the user control the image’s finishing touch to capture their photographic intention, or reproduce the ambience of the scene. With the K-7, the user can select one of seven modes, including the new "Muted" mode designed to recreate an image with delicate, subdued colors. In addition to saturation, tone, contrast and sharpness, the function now makes it possible to adjust "key" and "contrast highlight/shadow" to the desired levels. The effects of these factors may be effortlessly confirmed on a preview image using the Digital Preview or Live View function before finalizing the settings.
Versatile exposure system for exceptional reproduction of creative intentions
Hyper Program function
The K-7’s Hyper Program function allows users to instantly switch to the Shutter- or Aperture-Priority AE mode from the Programmed AE mode, with a simple turn of the electronic dials on the grip. To return to the Programmed AE mode, simply press the green button positioned next to the shutter release button.
Hyper Manual function
When shooting in Manual mode, a single push of the green button allows the user to instantly set the proper exposure for the subject.
The K-7 features a unique Sensitivity-Priority (Sv) mode, which is designed to automatically select the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed for a user-selected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted instantly in 1/2 or 1/3 steps by turning the electronic dial on the back panel.
Taking full advantage of the unique capability of digital cameras permitting automatic shift of sensitivity at any time, the Shutter/Aperture-Priority (TAv) mode automatically selects the most appropriate sensitivity for a user-selected shutter-speed/aperture combination. This allows the user to experiment with a greater range of photographic expressions with great ease.
Powerful rechargeable battery The K-7 is powered by a large-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can capture approximately 980 images* when fully charged.
*Under testing conditions prescribed by Pentax, when using a rechargeable D-LI90 lithium-ion battery with no flash
- HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures
- Dynamic-range expansion function to compensate for both white-washed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas
- Digital level function for easy checking of the image’s levels
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA- and DFA-series lenses)
- White balance control, featuring a new CTE mode to emphasize the color components of sunset scenes and a new incandescent-tinted fluorescent light mode
- Multi-exposure function, with a superimposition of already-recorded images on the LCD monitor for at-a-glance comparison
- Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
- RAW button for single-action switching of image file format
- 16 digital filters to add a range of visual effects; a new function to record an overwritten history also available
- Color-specific control buttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal color design
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing application (based on the popular
- SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras and lenses on our review pages: Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses
Top Customer Reviews
Performance is fast and reliable in all conditions indoors and out. Note: startup time can be greatly improved to near instant by turning off the shake reduction feature when not needed.
As an added bonus, the "kit" lens included with this body is exceptional. I think Canon and Nikon take pride in providing the most ridiculously crappy lenses in their "kits". So much plastic you can't even use them as paper weights. But this Pentax 18-55 is amazing! Weather sealing, smooth manual focus action, and astonishingly high quality optics.
As a compact, all purpose system for travel and constant carry, the K-7 plus a couple tiny DA lenses is a pleasure. You can argue over image quality all day. But the reality is that you have to have the camera with you to get the image. And this system is small enough and tough enough that it will always be ready when needed.
1- Build construction which is far superior to the Nikon or Canon
2- Size. Smaller than the other two and much nicer to hold and feels better in the hand.
3- Weather proofing. I had to take some pictures on the beach the other day with a friend who has a Canon. It started to rain and my friend had to scurry for cover. I was able to finish the shots and not worry about the camera getting a little wet.
4- Lenses. I really like the selection of Pentax lenses. They seem better value for money and the DA* series is great. When you boil down the selection of what you really need or can use on your camera the Nikon or Canon selection is not as huge as it looks unless you are a sports photographer and need a super long lens. Plus you can use older lenses and I have bought a couple of older second hand lenses like a super wide angle that I do not use often, but enjoy to have.
5- Value for money. Pentax gives you a much better camera at this price level than Canon or Nikon.
Image quality from what I have seen to very close between all the better cameras. With any of these cameras you have to read the manual and practice using the camera to make the most of it. With a little practice now I am finding the layout of the controls on the Pentax brilliant and can quickly and easily make any of the adjustments I need. There are so many great and clever features that I really enjoy.Read more ›
I received it earlier than the promised date. It was packed fairly well and the package came in good condition. I took it out and set it to P and shot auto for the first day with the 18-55mm WR lens. I took some awesome shots on a "nature walk" through my neighborhood. I have moved onto the manual mode and have started to get into all the features to this camera. (There are so many!!) Having it for 4 days now, I have shot almost 1400 shots. Both indoor and outdoor. I have taken 30 second time delayed night shots, cloudy, full sun, indoor no flash, with flash. The high ISO noise that I have read people complaining about on forums is minimal if you have the settings right! I already have a "highlight reel" folder with my best shots.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
for a camera this model and make are a good buy 2015 better mods are out. amazon has them. get a consumers report on cameras, they change so much. gsPublished 10 months ago by capt ez
This camera is a beast. Working in the construction industry I was looking for a camera that would last in demanding conditions, Pentax seems like a good choice, I had the... Read morePublished on July 21, 2012 by wood208
I have shot over 10,000 photos with my K-7 in all sorts of environments, been caught in pouring rain, had various liquids spilled on it (including martinis) and it still works as... Read morePublished on October 25, 2011 by Christopher Carlsson
I struggled for a long time before getting this camera over the Nikon D90. The primary reason is that this camera for me is "free" - from awards points. Read morePublished on April 7, 2011 by P. Chow
I purchased the K7 after owning a 6-year-old Pentax *istd.
The weather sealing was a major selling point, along with the shake reduction features. Read more
The k7 takes very detailed photos , has a lot of in-camera editing option, Live screen view with turn-tilt, HDMI(c) output & video recording (10 min at a time),on screen level,... Read morePublished on September 26, 2010 by Joan F. Coleman
i had a k-7 briefly (returned it in anticipation of the new k-5 model) and i can tell you that this is a very nicely designed body. Read morePublished on September 25, 2010 by C. Frank
I bought this camera for my Peru trip just a couple of days before leaving. It was easy to set up and format with very little time to read instructions. Read morePublished on September 7, 2010 by SSingh
I purchased the Pentax K-7 body last year to use with my existing Pentax compatible lenses (a Tamron 70-300 and a Pentax 18-55), and it has been a great camera. Read morePublished on September 5, 2010 by Index97