Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pentax K-5 II 16.3 MP DSLR DA 18-55mm WR lens kit (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 21, 2013
Wow, this camera is wonderful. I actually sold my Canon 60d and all of my lenses to switch to the Pentax system. I was so impressed by the hardware and the photos this camera can produce. When I pick up this camera, I feel truly inspired to make great photos.

When buying a camera, you need to come to the understanding that you are buying a camera system. You need to approve of the lenses and their prices before you decide your camera body. For me, the real buying choice was the weather sealed lenses for a crop sensor body. In the Canon world, you won't find a standard 18-55mm lens that is weather sealed. And you definitely won't find one cheaper than $1000.00 (unless you consider the 17-40mm L which in my opinion is not that great for a crop camera.) Pentax however has a 18-55, 18-135, 50-200 all weather sealed and all less than $500.00. WOW!

I find that Nikon and Canon both push the consumer to purchase their high end gear. This gear can be Thousands and Thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, my pocketbook isn't that big especially as a armature prosumer. The Pentax lens line up is very competitive. While there may not be as many choices, each lens is nothing short of Fantastic! Even the cheapo glass can take some amazing pictures. If you wan't to go to the next level, no problem... buy another lens that meets your goals. Maybe a 16-50 f2.8, or a 50-135 f2.8 or you can look at their amazing primes (note: not many of these are weather sealed).

If you are a Pro and this is how you make your living, buy Nikon and Canon. If you are a hobbiest, prosumer, or simply on a budget and are looking for a professional grade camera look no further Pentax is your brand and the K-5 II will do you great.
on April 21, 2013
As a solid and robust design. Controls have good ergonomics, with a great slaughter. Are very precise in his actions, the main controls are very well located. The autofocus system is good, fairly quickly in most situations. At only 11 points, that I use for the sport mainly. Often, I use even less. For portrait photography, I use only the center point. High-sensitivity is excellent even at ISO800, ISO1600 has a good compromise in terms of overall quality, ISO3200 is always good for prints up to 20cmx25cm. Above and to ISO12800 disguises the difficulties, but it is a compromise; In this format, APS - C sensor, does not exist in any brand better in this regard, there are only equivalent products, or lowest products.
I am very happy with the purchase I made, the Pentax finally found its best in the world of digital photography.
I believe that there is a market for a zoom APS - C, a 23-69mm with an aperture constant f/2.8 (equivalent to a 35-105mm fulframe).
It is not too much, just a zoom 3x. This would be perfect for photos of family, often made indoors.
Your weak point is in the range of objectives, you must think and produce what others don't. Down your own path, the other brands that will be behind you, never the reverse.
It is too expensive to produce with aperture f/2.8? OK, f/3.2 or f/3.5 at most.
on June 6, 2015
After one year of use (abuse), I have to admit that I love this camera. It has been reliable under nearly every condition from bright days to the dimmest interior shot. I will leave the technical reviews to the camera experts, but if you have used the brand before, it is hard to go wrong with the K-5 II. Batteries are easily good for about 400 pictures (slightly less with flash). Camera is not water proof but stands up to the elements well. Ergonomically it is a dream, well balanced, controls positioned in right places, easy to use, and able to be customized to user. Uses the standard SD card, and accepts the 256gb SDXC. I don't recommend it for video recording, but I would not shop for a DSLR to do a camecorders job.

So why don't I give it 5 stars if it preforms so well for me?

It does have one glaring and ironic weakness, it is a PENTAX. Sadly in the US market, Pentax has seemingly all but given up. That means that it is very difficult and potentially expensive to find new lenses or equipment or 3rd party items for the camera. Like any Pentax, nearly all old lenses designed for the mount will work (or have an adaptor). but it would be nice to see some newer zoom lenses that don't cost more that the camera and are not several years old. Fortunately good glass holds it's value but would be nice to see newer items
on November 12, 2015
Amazing photos. The clarity and color of the images surpass any camera I have owned. Every time I look through my photo albums the photos taken with this camera stand out among the rest. Definitely recommend.
on September 14, 2013
Always wanted a Pentax since high school. Back then they where film cameras. I know it can do way more than I need but....I really like the feel of it, I have large hands and it fits nicely, the wife has small hands and can work all the controls just fine, this is something we have had trouble with on other cameras. Menus are straight forward and easy to move through. My early attempts at taking pictures have yielded fantastic results so the auto mode is great for newbies to DSLR's. It may be more than a lot of beginners want to invest in at first, but I expect it to last a lifetime so a good investment. There maybe cameras with more gadgets,speed, etc. but hey it's a PENTAX (IMO) the Harley of DSLR'S
on December 19, 2013
The first digital camera I've owned that can produce images as good as my Rolleiflex (well - almost). It feels solid and impervious to abuse; haven't tried all the many features yet but shooting in full auto mode is so easy I may never get around to it. The kit lens feels insubstantial but is surprisingly good.
on July 13, 2014
I have owned the K-7 camera for years. Then it started not functioning right. Discovered that Pentax had 3 firmware upgrades. Now it works better than ever.
I have had Pentax cameras for decades. First was a K2 film camera in the 70's. It was reliable, A truly great value. Extra money was scarce and Pentax have me the features that I needed at a price I could afford.
That has not changed. No, it is not a "professional" camera with a wide selection of options. Pentax makes great lens. So the system has the options that I at a price I can save up and afford as an amateur photographer.
on November 24, 2013
sorry for the delay of the review.
its quite same as the picture shows and in a nice package, with lens and charger in it.
very good camera and very good seller.
on October 21, 2013
Purchase this camera to replaced my beloved K-r. Auto focus is quick, weather seal is a great feature. All after all, it exceeds my expectation in every aspect.
on December 14, 2013
This camera is easy to use and the photos are spot on. The price is also easy to live with.