5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased
Published on June 28, 2012 by Stryker

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Waterproof!
Bought a WG-2 for a trip to Costa Rica. Worked beautifully when taking photos while canyoning through waterfalls. Brief dips in a pond - no problem. Took some pictures in a pouring rain-no problem. Took it snorkeling. Lens and the LCD display started to fog up within 5 min in no more than one foot of water
(12 in), then DIED!
Waterproof up to 40 feet -...
Published on August 17, 2012 by Lumin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, June 28, 2012
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Kit (Electronics)
I bought this camera specifically for a planned white water rafting trip and it far exceeded my expectations. It was intended to be a supplemental camera to my existing compact digital, but the performance and versatility of this unit quickly made it my replacement. It's got a ton of different shooting options that I wasn't even aware of. The panorama function is pretty cool, it stitches 3 consecutive shots together horizontally to make one big panorama. The video capabilities are also very impressive, shooting in 1080p HD that will upload to YouTube and play back at the same resolution for easy video sharing. I got the waterproof camera specifically to protect it from splashes during the rafting trip, but I've since had it in swimming pools and the underwater video quality is simply amazing.

My local camera store only carried the GPS enabled version in the black and orange colors, which I initially balked at thinking this was going to be a gaudy safety orange camera. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it was more of a metallic orange highlight and actually makes the camera look very nice.

The salesman did say that battery life could be an issue, so I bought a spare battery (they charged me $50 for it, later found them on Amazon for much, MUCH less so I returned the other one to the store). During my first full day's use, I did change the battery at the mid-point of the trip, but the indicator was still showing it as full. I suspect it would have been lower if I'd done more video, but I primarily shot stills and even with the GPS on the battery life was very reasonable.

The only negative thing I can say about it is the battery charger than Pentax supplies with this. I'm accustomed to compact, plug-in wall units with retractable prongs for easier travel. Not this one...it comes with a unit that looks like a wall charger, but it has a long AC cord that you have to plug into it. It's not at all travel friendly, but there are some good deals on Amazon for a wall style charger and many even include spare batteries. Mine did and I think I paid about $20 including shipping...totally worth it. The supplied charger is in my spare electronic parts box, where I expect it will remain.

Other than the charger, this is a good, rugged and full-functioned camera that I am glad I purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a versatile Camera, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Kit (Electronics)
I have the white one and it is an upgrade (13th generation) from my WP 10 (3rd generation) which is still working fine but it only went to 9 feet. This one goes to 40 and I have not gotten in the water yet but it does so many things. I just got back from Utah for the eclipse and I set it up to timer shoot over 500 frames that I stitched into a movie of everyone moving around during the eclipse. The lens flare actually showed the eclipse as it occurred. Lets see... what else does it do.
1. It takes great shots and using the preset options does improve the result over the auto picture
2. Videos are excellent... I can't wait for the chest harness to mountain bike with it.
3. Macro/Micro with illumination is really cool. You can take pictures of really small things.
4. Adding a Joby micro tripod that can be left on the camera allows for many other options with a small size.
5. There are so many options, I am still learning and hope to be able to quickly access them in the field.

I will leave it to the techies to break down the photo quality but they look quite good to me.

I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Waterproof!, August 17, 2012
(12 in), then DIED!
Waterproof up to 40 feet - HaHa! Water-resistant - may be; NOT waterproof.
Ruined my vacation!
P.S. Underwater shots were very, very marginal quality. Not at all worthwhile taking.
If you want a rugged camera for above - water , with occasional dips in water - fine. Do Not use underwater - it will die!

3.0 out of 5 stars good camera begging for improvements, August 28, 2012
B. Bates (Santa Fe, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Kit (Electronics)
I was looking for a rugged camera for the outdoors and after researching reviews I purchased this camera. The picture quality is very good. But, by looking at the photos of the camera itself I had expected a rubberized exterior, and instead it is plastic that is actually quite slippery. If the camera were wet I would expect problems holding onto the camera. For an "outdoor" camera I was surprised that there was no lens cover, manual or otherwise. The buttons to control the camera were ridiculously small and close together. Forget wearing gloves and trying to operate the camera. The menu is not intuitive and has a steep learning curve. I set the date and time on several occasions, and each time I turned the camera off and on again, the setting would revert to zero. I gave the review 3 stars because I still feel it is the best outdoor camera out there, great pictures, and Pentax reputation; but with serious limitations. I would hope that Pentax might correct these limitations with updated models. With all that being said, the bottom line is that the camera is also overpriced.

1.0 out of 5 stars fog condensation camera, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Kit (Electronics)
Disappointing product by Pentax. the camera fogs under minimum outdoor conditions. pictures will result blurry and bad.
the front lens condensates with the minimum temperature change. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Kit