4.0 out of 5 stars SWEET!!!
Published 2 months ago by R. Bess

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty camera but it's all around slow, and frustrating.
The allure of an interchangeable lens camera small enough to fit in the pocket and always have it on hand for those great shots pulled me in, but it just didn't measure up.
Published 9 months ago by T. Eller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty camera but it's all around slow, and frustrating., December 6, 2013
T. Eller (OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax Q10 12.4MP with 02 zoom lens kit (Silver) (Electronics)
In theory it's a nice camera, but coming from a very decent SLR (nikon d5200) the incredibly slow focus and inability to take a picture when you want it to are just too much of a pain to keep it. I upgraded the camera and lens software to the latest and it improved the function a little but it still just thinks too long. I'm guessing 30% of the time I'd try to take a picture and it couldn't focus or took forever. It advertises 5 fps but that's only on low resolution jpg, if you want to shoot raw format it's 1.5 fps. I have high speed sd cards and it's still taking forever to save before it lets you take another shot. If you're moving up from a very basic point and shoot it looks cool and has nice artsy shot features you might like. If you've used a good camera before you're going to be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars SWEET!!!, July 12, 2014
I have always been a Pentax fan. That said, when the price for this dropped under $200, it was a steal at that price. No camera, portable or full size, out there makes you WANT to pick it up and just PLAY with it like the Q series does. It is very well made and totally solid. No flimsy feel to this at all. A true miniature looking DSLR. The menu, easy operation in auto mode, and then some 20 other quick select preset settings choices are just perfect for the beginning photographer. Pentax really put some serious thought into this puppy and it shows in use. Picture quality is the same as any other 12 mega pixel smallish portable digital camera out there, but with STYLE!

IF you want full size DSLR camera digital quality, for printing out larger 8 x 10 photos or bigger, then pay about double for the Pentax Q7 instead of the Q10...either way you can't go wrong if this is the style camera you like. With the 01 prime lens, you can stick this in your pocket and go. With the 02 lens, you might want to remove the lens and use two pockets. And then there are more lenses to choose from and more on the way which all fit any Q series cameras. Handy because as you purchase new lenses, if you later decide you want the latest and greatest Q camera body, you can just buy the body only(cheaper than a kit) and all the lenses you already have will still work with the new one.

Why not 5 stars? Well, the only thing I wish it had was the ability to charge the battery IN THE CAMERA. You have to pop out the battery and stick it in a charging base. An extra 5 bucks could have put a charging plug into the body and made it handier. This means you need to pick up a second battery so you can leave one on the charger and one in the camera and exchange them when the camera tells you it is low.

Also, it does NOT come with a SD card...although some merchants offer a free one with purchase. Not a BIG deal buster but heck, they could have thrown in a real small card for almost nothing and again, made it (out of the box) playable.

The camera plugs right into your USB port to get photos off of it and to update the firmware to keep it current. They even have firmware updates for the lenses!

Anyway, this is without a doubt, THE most FUN and awesome (sport)camera, EVER, hear me now and believe me later...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for video, but merely okay for photos., February 12, 2014
I bought this camera on Black Friday because my Cannon Rebel was on the fritz.

I love that this camera can take wonderful video and pictures. We bought it to replace our handheld out of date digital flip camera.

I also bought it because it is the smallest camera on the market with an removable lens. I thought it would be perfect for the diaper bag- and it is, but it cannot replace my Cannon Rebel because:

1) No view finder, only a digital display.
Because you have to look at the digital display instead of holding the camera up to your check to steady it during shots, my hands can tremble and shake, which leads me to the next point.

2) Not having a view finder makes it hard to focus your shots.
I have an extremely hard time telling if my shots are in focus and my vision is 20/20. I feel like I need glasses or readers when I use this camera. I can tell when things are way off, but not slightly off focus. The quality of my shots with this camera in comparison to my Cannon Rebel are disappointing. I can take such focused clear shots of my children with the rebel, even when they move. With this camera, it's so hard to tell what your focus is on. Also, the camera won't take shots quickly, so my quick toddlers are running about. It's almost asif the camera is metering every time I press the button. I have adjusted the ISO, hopefully that will help. As you can tell, I'm just a mom with a camera (fauxtographer), and not a real photographer, but these are two points that really have affected my ability to take great focused pictures of my children. I'm sure a real photographer could take wonderful pictures with this camera, but for this novice. It's just not easy.

3) Small buttons (Just FYI, for my large fingered peeps out there).
If you have large fingers, this isn't the camera for you. This is not a reason for me to not buy it, but others out there might not be able to use it as easily because of large fingers, like some of my family members and friends have pointed out when I let them try out the camera.

These complaints aside, it's a great camera to keep in the abyss that I refer to as my diaper bag, but I require a better camera for those moments you want to cherish and not just have snapshots of.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fun you'll have shooting photos!, May 4, 2014
Love the design!! I'm a semi-pro photographer and love the menu system and dial features. I can take this camera with me whenever I don't want to lug around my DSLR and lenses. It's not a substitute for the image quality you get from a DSLR but I find it to produce excellent images for a camera this size. If you have basic knowledge of photography and know the relationship of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO you will get great photos with this camera!! I can go on to talk about specific features but you can see all that it can do by reading the spec sheet. I find myself using the Tav mode most of the time which is basically manual control. The camera sets the ISO. My wife is learning how to tailor her images by using the scene modes. She knows nothing about photography but is starting to figure it out. Of course she has me to teach her. She calls it her camera now! Some of the reviews compare this camera to a DSLR but it's not. You will need to get used to it's size. I had no problem with that. We carry it with us to family gatherings and when we go out and don't want to carry a camera case with lenses. She just keeps it in her purse. It's even small enough to keep in my pocket if I'm wearing a pair of cargo shorts or something like that. If you want a small compact DSLR like camera that has modes like aperture priority, shutter priority, manual control, etc. GET IT!! You'll love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 4, 2013
Balen (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This camera is crazy small and a lot of fun. Completely pocketable and it takes good pictures (think higher end point & shoot vs DSLR/Micro Four Thirds). If you are looking for an easy to carry around interchangeable lens camera, buy this. Great for street photography with it's low profile.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera for a pro who wants a decent camera to alwas have on hand., July 22, 2014
This camera is awesome, a lot of the reviews on here are a little harsh considering the camera came out with a 600 dollar price tag, however i purchased one brand new for 179.99 and i must say that this camera shoots incredible pictures for the size of the sensor that is in this camera sure it may not stand up side by side with m canon 6d but honestly who would look at this camera and say I am going to use this to take professional portraits, other than that this camera is an awesome camera for a pro who wants the freedom of full manual exposure controls in a compact system that you can easily fit in your pocket the camera and lens will both comfortably it in a pocket and is a huge step above point and shoots, the only thing wrong with this camera was the intro price.!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, June 6, 2014
I'm very happy with Pentax Q10 purchase. I have many other cameras and lenses but the Q10 has been the most fun. Very small but easy to handle. Solid with great ergonomics. Fully featured (SLR type), with great image quality. There are many
lenses to choose from, in addition to Q lenses I use (with adapter) the old Pentax 110 lenses, K mount lenses. I have some
old classic lenses that this camera will bring back to life. Also It's perfect for C and D mount lenses, and many other mounts.
It's great for street photography, and with the huge crop factor it's also great for birding, macro, and astrophotography.
It has become my favorite camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size and amount of physical controls., March 29, 2014
I can keep this camera with me for unexpected photo opportunities quite easily, as opposed to my APSC camera(which I do still use for more premeditated circumstances) which proves the adage, "the best camera is the one you have." The sensor is great for everything but the darkest of indoors or nights. None of the other Q mount lenses cost more than $300 even the F2.8 zoom. Camera is polycarbonate and so feels sturdy. The Pentax community online are all nice and helpful even with the most beginner of questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, fun sized DSLR, January 6, 2014
This is my first DSLR I really enjoy the versatility of the Q10. I used a traditional SLR in college, therefore appreciate the customizable settings but also like option of preset scene settings. I also like the Q10's small size, it easily fits inside a large handbag.

The Q10 is wonderful addition for any travel situation if you want to expand beyond taking iPhone photos but aren't ready to commit/invest in an expensive DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars this camera is so cool. it has a lot of features that i ..., July 31, 2014
this camera is so cool. it has a lot of features that i may never use but the zoom and the manual focus or auto focus makes it possible to get clear shots of a subject with something in the foreground that would fool a camera with only auto focus into taking a clear shot of it while making your main subject out of focus. lots of unexpected features with this one. most important, it has a remote reciever in the front and in the back. what i wanted most was to put the camera outside on a tripod, aimed at my bird feeder and be able to take a shot from inside the house, watching the birds from a window. great lens, smart camera, huge viewscreen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pentax Q10 12.4MP with 02 zoom lens kit (Silver)
$399.95 $199.00