Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on April 21, 2009
I purchased the remote today at a Going Out of Business Sale at Ritz Camera in Chciagoland. It was $18.00 I'm using it for the K20D Body.

The remote can be taken apart to change the battery. Three screws need to be removed. The battery is a small round flat Panasonic CR 1620 3V. See Photo's I've included above.

The remote works as advertised. On the K20D You need to set the "Yes" setting in the Custom Menu in order for the Auto Focus to work when using the remote.

You also have to set which type of Shutter release you want to have fire. Press the fn button then press the 4 way controller button (arrow up) to get to the remote settings. You can choose single-immediate fire, Fire after a 3 second delay or Continuous Firing. On the continuous firing the camera will keep taking pictures until you press the remote button a second time to stop the camera from firing.

While you have the remote control feature selected the Self Timer Lamp / Remote Control Reciever Lamp on the front & rear of the camera body will blink (RED) on and off to let you know the remote feature in ON.

NO instructions are included with the remote control F, only a a warning sheet that the remote may interfere with TV/Radio reception. For instructions see your camera manual....
review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments59 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2008
The Pentax Remote Control F does exactly what it's supposed to do, but is quite pricey for that functionality. It's just an infrared remote, not unlike what we use with our televisions. If you have a programmable, universal remote or a PDA with an infrared emitter, you can actually program your own remote release. Since universal remotes are all different, you'll have to find the code on the internet or use the manual search function of the remote. If you have a Windows Mobile PDA, go to your favorite search engine and enter "pocketpc pentax remote control f" without the quotes.

Pros:
- Very small and compact so you can easily store it. It's about twice as long and just as wide as an SD card. I've uploaded a picture to the gallery above.
- Easy enough to use. For Pentax digital SLRs, just set your drive mode to use the remote control. On the *ist DL/K100D, hit Fn + Up + OK to get to the drive mode menu.
- Wireless so you can easily participate in group pictures.
- Supports Bulb mode on DSLRs. This lets you take long exposures by holding down the remote release in B or Bulb mode. I didn't actually expect this to work, but it does. :)
- Supports auto-focus in the auto modes: AUTO PICT (green), SCN and any of the scene modes. You need to set "AF in remote control" in the camera and the camera will focus before releasing the shutter. On my K100D, "AF in remote control" was under the Custom Setting tab in the menu.
- Battery is replaceable, but you need a small screwdriver kit to remove the back.

Cons:
- Very small and compact so you can easily lose it.
- Doesn't support AF in the manual modes: P, Tv, Av, M and B.
- Doesn't have a lock to hold down the shutter release for extended exposures.
- Requires line of sight since it uses infrared.

If you need a remote for long exposures, I would suggest getting a wired remote because it'll have a lock feature to hold down the button for you, and the remote won't need line of sight to trigger the shutter.

Aside from that, the Remote Control F is a great addition to my camera bag. It makes it a lot easier for me to be in group pictures, especially since I can easily conceal it so it doesn't show up in the photo.
review image review image
22 comments63 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2004
I have a Pentax S-40 digital camera and this works as it should. All it has on it is a button. You aim it at the camera, from within 15 feet, and it triggers the shutter response that is set in the camera - immediate release or three-second release, for example. Note that the battery is not user-changeable. However, Pentax claims it can be operated for over 20,000 times before you send it in to Pentax for a new battery for some unknown charge. I doubt I will ever need to do that.
55 comments49 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2007
Nice and small remote control for Pentax digital cameras, it seems to work with any Pentax Digital Camera. It works with both of my SLR's and my Point and shoot. More than I expected. Extremely small stores in the aux base for my K10D. No batteries to replace.
on October 30, 2007
The Pentax Remote Control F for Pentax Digital Cameras is a hand held life saver for a photographer. This remote works great with my Pentax K10D Digital Camera.

It's small and your can conceal it in the palm of your hand. Beware, you can lose it if you forget about it. It works straight out the box and helps stablize your shots (when used with a tripod) in low light and night situations.

It gives me the confidence to walk away and be able to time my shot, adjust lighting and props before triggering the shutter. I love using this device wth the Bulb mode on my Pentax.

It is great for self portraits and group shots. I have used it several times since my purchase and am very pleased. My husband also used this remote and found it easy to use.
review image review image
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2008
I bought this for a Pentax K10D camera and it works just like it said it would in the add. good range from the front or back of the camera.Its nice to be able to take a picture without having to have a cord hooked to the camera I also have the wired remote witch you have to be right at the camera to use.the only thing about it is you have to take the remote apart to change the battery (no door). I would say if you have a pentax K10D or the K100D buy this remote you will not be sorry.Also if you have the K10D get the battery box that fits on the bottom of the camera it holds a spair battery -Extra sd card and the remote. Amazon has all of them at a good price.Pentax Remote Control F for Pentax Digital Cameras
on July 11, 2006
THE CONTROL WORKS JUST GREAT, BUT MY PROBLEM WAS BECAUSE IT IS SO SMALL I KEPT LOOSING IT. I HAD TO GLUE IT TO A KEY RING TO KNOW WHERE IT IS!
on October 21, 2007
I love this little remote control for my Pentax K10. For those times when you want to include yourself in a photograph, it is just plain terrific. The unit is extremely light, responsive, and unobtrusive; and it also has a good range. With this remote, you can easily get spontaneous shots when playing for the camera - specially if you delay the shot a few seconds. And you can also use it to reduce shake even further when taking photos at night for example.

The problem lies in the size of the remote and its black color. The unit is so small, dark, and light, that it is easy to lose. I had to replace the first unit I lost. I wish Pentax had designed this remote with a key chain orifice. In the meantime I think I am going to place a yellow fluorescent tape on its back so it becomes more visible. Other than that, don't leave home without it.
on January 30, 2010
This works well with my new K-X, but I am afraid of losing it.
Hopefully the solution comes in the form of a little case for
flash drives. This holds two small flashdrives. The Pentax
Control F fits well on one side and a flashdrive with a pdf
file of my camera manual on the other side. The outside of
this little case has a ring for a lanyard.

This little remote is fun to use I just hope I don't lose it.
on April 1, 2007
I really wanted a camera that had the remote control functionality.

It gets boring if when traveling alone all your pictures are of empty landscapes or buildings and one can't even take even a couple of pics of oneself in front of the lens... and the self timer is a hassle. Or when traveling with a friend and you can't take good pictures of you and your friend together. And forget about asking someone passing by: the few times i've bothered they rarely manage to take a good picture.

I searched far and wide for a pocket camera that has as an accessory a remote control. And finally discovered the Pentax range of cameras. I'm a loyal fan of Canon, but few of their cameras do have remote control functionality (e.g. SLR Digital Rebel), but i was looking for a pocket camera.

So i decided to purchase the Pentax Optio A10 - because of the remote control. But I'm very happy with my purchase. The quality of the pictures is very good.

Note: the best way to check if any given camera has the remote control option is to go to the manufacturer's website, and download their electronic pdf manual. E.g. go to the Pentax website, select the model, and select download manual. For older models not listed, try the search text box.
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse