5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT underwater/MACRO camera
I bought this product for an upcoming trip to Hawaii and wanted a camera with underwater capability. I also bought the Panasonic Lumix TS3 to compare and ended up returning it. I am happy with my choice to keep the Pentax.

Here is what I liked:

The durability and the rugged feel of this camera right away impressed me. I felt like I was holding a...
Published on June 26, 2011 by qbc1899

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on this camera
We owned a Pentax's first waterproof camera (Optio W10) and loved it. So when it came time to upgrade we bought this one before our trip to Mexico. We choose this one because of its ergonomic design. We figured this would work wonders when splashing around underwater and be easy to hold onto. The ergonomic design is the only redeeming feature of this camera.

At...
Published on May 17, 2011 by lolligag

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not designed for rugged use!, February 23, 2012
K. Melough (Wilmington, DE) - See all my reviews
Bought this camera because of the outdoor appeal. It is good enough as a camera, but fails on it being a tuff outdoor or underwater camera. There is a tight seal on the battery compartment and a toggle latch that locks it. The toggle latch is very loose and will work itself to the release position. I googled this to see if I wasn't using it correctly, but instead found that I was not the only one experiencing it. This seems to be a design flaw. It's ashame as the rest of the camera is built rugged tuff, but the fear of that compartment opening up makes me gun shy about using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, August 5, 2011
Living in the Bahamas we needed a reliable underwater camera. We started with the fugifilm one and what a joke that was! I could not be happier with this camera. We have gotten some amazing underwater footage with it. It also works great as an everyday camera. I love how rugged it is. I am not afraid I will break it.

5.0 out of 5 stars durable, reliable, excellent, August 1, 2011
kprowe (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
The camera is just what we were looking for. I have taken it out 10 or so times now since purchasing into 20-25 ft of water and it works great! the multiple settings as well as the way the flash is arranged helps with taking great underwater photos. I have dropped it into sand and it's durable shell protects it from scratching or having the sand get caught in a crevice. Very pleased with the camera,as well as Pentax cameras always!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a nonprimary camera, July 6, 2011
Read all the reviews...bought the camera several months ago and need to chime in...this camera gets all the dirty work where I wouldn't take my DSLR or M43...for this purpose it's excellent...it's fun to use...enable both d-range settings...indoors do not use the AWB, adjust manually to get nice low light indoor shots...leave the macro stand on all the time and get a 46mm clip on lens cover...battery life is good but always keep a back up handy...get a zing or tenba case and trust the night scene settings nightime for some really nice shots...built like a tank...feels great in the hand...play with these manual adjustments and you will get rewarded...

4.0 out of 5 stars happy so far, May 10, 2011
it's a pretty fun digital camera. The digital microscope mode allows for some pretty/odd pictures depending on what you shoot with it. Big con is the digital zoom looks horrid, it doesn't seem to want to focus, but the optical zoom is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, April 14, 2011
This camera is really great and small! i've had it for about 10 days now, and have taken it on my wicked adventures! it's a great camera! i love the pictures it takes! granted, they may not be as good as those of a $1500 dslr, but the main difference is i can take this with me wherever i go. i took it climbing last weekend and didnt worry about it getting wet or hitting rocks the rock surface...it was great.
The only thing I dont like about it is that the lense is only covered by what i assume is strong plexiglass, but no metal over over it so i always use this camera with the macro stand on (and im not trying to find a filter for it; that way it will add some protection to the lense cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars 6 pictures and then DEAD, September 3, 2011
I bought this camera for my trip to Cancun. On the first day, I took the camera to the pool and took 6 pictures just to test the camera. The pictures were clear and good looking. The camera was easy to use, especially underwater and I was excited about the next day's snorkeling trip. I found all the functions worked as advertised and was even happy with the way the camera handled some low light issues.

The next day I took the camera on the snorkeling trip and when I turned it on, the view screen would not come on. I could not tell if the camera was taking pictures (found out later it was) since the view screen was blank. I tried everything to get to the camera to come on, but it would not. After we finished snorkeling in two beautiful locations, I decided to give the camera one last chance as we snorkeled in a lagoon, to my amazement, the camera came on. I took two pictures and then the view screen went blank again. I shut the camera off and on three times and the view screen came back on. Long story short, I was able to take 8 more pictures over the next 2 hours. I was very upset and disappointed.

What I found out was that, even with the view screen not working, the camera was taking pictures. Since there was no way to frame the pictures, with the view screen off, those pictures were blurry and off center.

I would have loved for this camera to work as advertised but, it didn't. I wouldn't say you should not buy this camera, perhaps I got a lemon but, I won't risk the money again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed with this camera on so many levels..., May 4, 2011
(updated on May 6, 2011)

I am trying to find a P&S camera that takes very good HD video and stills without fuss. As summers can be brutal here, we spend a lot of time at the beach, lake or in the pool. It makes sense for me to have a waterproof camera so I don't subject my DSLR to those conditions. I want a single camera that I can take on vacation and shoot stills and video and have reasonably good results. I want it to be waterproof and pocket-sized so I don't have to lug the camera bag with me or worry about getting it stolen. I understand the images won't be quite as good as my Sony DSLR.

I took the Pentax WG-1 for a field test while my daughter and I were walking the dog. It was a lovely spring day, not too sunny, not too overcast. Perfect light you would say. Using the autopic feature - half the shots were out of focus. Of those few that were in focus, the color varied widely from shot to shot. Overall the shots were sort of washed out and faded. I tried the manual program mode and had slightly better luck but still 1 of 3 pics were blurry or soft.

Other Negatives (besides the out of focus shots):

Video was very shaky even with stabilization on - unusable.
Video quality was extremely poor. It looked pixelated like it was up-sampled VGA - unusable.
Video format is AVI?! Who the heck wants a AVI file in 2011? MPG at least or MP4 preferably.
The microscope mode also has focus problems. When you half press to set the pic, it looks great. But when you actually take the pic, it comes out very blurry. Even with the 4 lights on.
It uses a battery charger that looks like it should plug straight into the wall - but instead you get a long, heavy cable that plugs into the charger & then the wall. This makes it very inconvenient for travel. Many cameras today come with a single wall charger - this one has a 2 piece charger. That makes a difference when traveling.

Positives:

It looks neat & has a cool rubberized grippy feel. People will go "ooohhh" when they see it.
Simple, logical button and interface layout. Will help for using the camera underwater or in adverse conditions.

Final Assessment: the cool stylish look of the camera doesn't make up for the focus problems, the unacceptable low quality video and often unusable still pictures.

-----------

May 6th 2011 Update: I am returning this camera to Amazon. Read comments below for a comparison to another waterproof camera I ordered and tested.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overall camera, May 4, 2011
Pros: very well built camera, waterproof as advertised, decent pics quality.

Cons: annoying shutter lag.

this camera reminded me of olympus 850sw i used to own - decent durable camera, of course it won't produce dslr-like images, but if you need a small pocket camera you can take with you nearly everywhere - i think this one is your best choice on the market right now. Panasonic ts1/2/3 are actually better in terms of performance, but i had two of them leak in 6 to 10 feet of water on the first or second day of use, and third one gave out in about 6 month of regular use, no water. i find that unacceptable - after all, this type of cameras are bought for the adventure-minded people - and durability and reliability must be an absolute requirement before even getting into performance ratings.

i wanted to see how deep this camera will work - took it on two dives, even though 33foot depth rating limits it to some advanced snorkeling, but it actually worked surprisingly well - did not leak at all, even though i took it down to 45-50 feet for half an hour twice. the only problem i had at that depth was the power button got "pressed in" by the water pressure, and camera would not turn on anymore until i took up closer to the surface. i would give this camera 6 stars for durability if i could.

but the annoying part of it is shutter lag - it is very noticeable - good luck trying to take a pic of some fish swimming by... very frustrating. i was limited pretty much to taking pics of corals and such. i really hope pentax will fix this problem in the next version of the camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible video quality, otherwise a good camera, October 23, 2011
I bought this camera for the durability. I shoot a lot of pics and also a lot of videos, and frankly, the video quality is awful. My old iphone 3GS shot better video, and the new 4GS shoots MUCH better video. This camera simply takes very grainy video, regardless of the settings.

Picture quality is very good, which is why it is surprising that the video is so bad. I suppose that if you want really good video and a waterproof camera, get a GoPro. If you only plan on using this camera for photos, then it is a good choice for the outdoors.

If I were not beyond my return period I would return it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›