Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Size: Set of 36|Change

on December 5, 2015
Absolutely Fabulous! Pentel has pleased a picky artist...looking for markers!
After an extensive search on Amazon for "THE perfect markers," I finally purchased this set. Two in fact. One for myself and one for my niece.
I am an artist with a Bachelors in Media Arts & Animation. Mainly a painter, but I love experimenting with other medias. So, markers are a first for me since childhood. In terms of artist snobbery (years of classical training tends to do that...lol), Pentel is not my first choice in art supplies. However, they did an excellent job with this marker set. So much so, I'm surprised. :)
I have been seeing these adult coloring books around and decided on buying a coloring book from a best seller. The next logical step was, what do I color this book with? Adult coloring books, for me, I decided are not for ballpoint pens, gel pens, or anything that would be streaky. I mean I spent good money on that book, right? Yeah I did! :)
I read the reviews on these markers, even the #1 recommended review which was only a 4-star. I saw the complaints, and I saw the compliments. What made me buy these were the customer photos. The results of these markers compared to other products on Amazon were phenomenal. I took some photos of my own.
From an artist's perspective, markers bleed, and after trying these markers out, even though they are of high quality, it is all the same. The pressure applied determines the color saturation. If you color in strokes, overlapping marker strokes will show. If you color in tiny circular motions, the color will be more saturated as well. Markers (considering high end brands to low end brands), to me, are HARD to work with. These are no different. My first experience was of coloring a small simple owl to see how the markers work. They do blend wonderfully! I only wish this set came with a clear blender, but they blend well on their own.
The color output does not match the plastic marker casing. True. But this is true for almost all media I know of. I always make color charts, even with paints I paint the pigment onto paper and tape the paper onto the paint tubes...take some paper, color in the order the markers are in, tape it to the plastic and boom - a color chart. Why someone would knock a star off for that, I don't know. Always make a color chart. :)
The casing is actually pretty sturdy. I've bought colored pencils or watercolor pencils that cost way more tan these markers and the casing was meh. I love the case these makers came in. The markers stay in place and don't roll all over each other when closed or open. There's a button snap to close the case flush. The plastic flap that covers the markers has velcro to keep your markers from flying out. It keeps these markers in check. So whether you're traveling, storing them in your studio, or storing them anywhere, really, I really appreciate the thought Pentel put into the casing for these markers.
The brush tip is very firm, with very little give. From experience with ink micro pens, The more pressure applied over time, the less firm the brush gets, and over time the brush with start flexing. I do recommend patience in using these markers and to continue using them lightly. You can angle the markers for a broader coverage area or hold them vertically to get super fine detail coverage. I feel like i'm gushing over these markers, I find that I am! :))
None of my markers were dry. If anything they are loaded with pigment. When coloring in the owl and even making my color chart, as I made a simple line without lifting the marker off the paper, the excess pigment would make a teeny little blot where I left the excess ink. In my pictures, you can see a few lines, above where I tested the markers for dryness, where I had stroked the marker tip in a downward stroke and the excess ink looks like I stopped and held the marker there. I'll just have to remember to lift my hand if I want to prevent that in the future.
Overall, these aren't "THE perfect markers," but no art medium truly is. It's all on how you use the markers to make use of their full potential. These markers produce beautiful results and my inner-snobby-artist fell in love with Pentel for it.
If I had the time, I'd post a video later to show what I have learned on how to use these markers, but I found that if you do a video search you'll find similar tutorials that I myself watched before buying these.
My niece is a budding artist. So for me, Pentel has my utmost gratitude in delivering her (and myself) a product I am confident we can both use in various ways - which will currently be coloring in adult coloring books. :)

Reference colors for the owl, I used the following markers: #122 Yellow (eyes), #123 Gold Ochre, #123 Beige, #118 Dhark Brown, #127 Raw Umber
On the back of the casing, there is a numbered color name guide for each marker. Each marker has it's own number on it in gold.

Happy coloring!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on March 19, 2015
These are a huge disappointment. I read a lot of reviews (on these and other similar markers) before buying these and don't understand the positive ones for this product. Here are the problems with it: 1- The actual colors do not match the cap colors, they are much more intense. So, for a good art project they are essentially unusable. 2- They dry out! After coloring one small area, maybe 4"x2", they dry out. Replacing the cap means that the next day they will color a bit more but that is hardly practical. The only good thing about them is that the tips are very nice but with not enough ink, and unreliable color matching, they are really not worth buying, at any price.
on April 12, 2008
My set is about 10 years old, and still going strong! I have used these pens for everything from original art pieces to just plain coloring, and they hold their rich colors fabulously! Well worth the price. They are like an Energizer Bunny...they keep going and going and going!
on March 27, 2010
Maybe I just received a batch of duds, but I was so disappointed in these markers I had to get online and review them the first night I've had them. I've worked with these markers less than two hours and already four of them have run bone dry. First the dark orange went dry, so I reconsidered my project and switched to a lighter orange. Then that one went dry. I had to switch to yellow... and you guessed it. The yellow ran dry as well. So I thought, okay, at least I seem to have plenty of green. And then the green went dry. My project is small, just a normal letter-paper sized, and I have to go buy a new set of markers tomorrow to finish it--and I paid $20 for these things? I hardly expected artist quality pens, but I did at least expect to get one project out of them.
on May 9, 2015
Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I really don't understand the good reviews of these! These markers had crumbling tips the first time I used them and left significant streaks. I do adult coloring (mandalas, etc) and found these essentially unusable. I used them on a few different types of paper to make sure it was the pens and I had the same result every time: clumps of the tips mixed in with the ink + streaks. Some of the colors were lovely, but all were streaky and every single one had a "raised" texture after from all the felt sticking into the ink.
on January 2, 2012
I am really sold on these markers. I use them for Dover Stain Glass Adult Coloring Books. There are so many shades and the ink flows freely - bright colors. My son was given a set of these in 1984 and used them from kindergarten through high school.

I have two small dislikes that aren't enough to make less than 5 stars.One - some of the colors paint on as almost the same color. Not enough difference to justify a separate pen. Two - two or three do not mark freely. I will try the hot water treatment.

I am not an artist - have absolutely no artistic ability - but I do love colors and I love to do handwork. These pens plus a Dover coloring book will guarantee me many hours of pleasure.
on August 14, 2009
This is a sturdy set of pens, in nice secondary packaging. I bought two sets - one for my son, the other for my daughter, they're enjoying them. I've used them to color in some pages of the kids' coloring books, and see two shortcomings. First, the amount of ink is inconsistent from pen to pen - some flow very heavy ink, others much lighter. This results in inconsistent color depth in the strokes. The second shortcoming is the color of the pen's plastic often poorly matches the color of the pen's ink. For example, what looks like a dark green pen from the color of the plastic, has ink that flows very close to black. Many other colors vary greatly from plastic to ink. When these pens need replacing, I'll try a different set for comparison.
on September 15, 2015
HOW I USE THESE MARKERS: I bought these for an adult coloring book that has lots of detail and tight spaces.

PROS: These have been good markers so far. They have nice, rich coloring. I love how fine the points are to get into little spots. I have used them for addressing letters too, and they're great for detail work. They come in a nice little pouch thingy too.

CONS: These markers WILL BLEED through. You need to know that. My coloring book is one sided (meaning there are no images on the backs of the pages) so it didn't bother me, but I know this will be a problem for a lot of people. Because they are so fine tipped, if you end up accidentally going over a line an extra time or two, it will create those little fuzzy patches of paper (I think this happens because when the paper gets wet from the ink saturation and then has a marker dragged on top of it, it moves some of the wet paper fibers around). The colors don't always match the caps very well.

HELPFUL HINT: Take those little white round stickers (people sometimes use them to put prices on things at yard sales) you can get from any office supply or dollar store (or just use a piece of paper and tape) and color on them with the markers, then stick each sticker onto the marker of that color. This way you get a more accurate representation of the ink color with a glance than the marker caps themselves. (Seriously, some of them are very misleading.)

ALSO!! 36 sounds like a LOT of markers. But be forewarned-it is NOT as many as you think. There are about 2-3 shades of each color in here. I know it looks like more, but it is not. So if you ARE using this for an adult coloring book, and you like to go with certain color schemes for certain pieces (like, lots of greens for a garden or something) these may not be the markers for you.
on May 31, 2015
Very disappointed, especially since I was excited about the great reviews. Colors are muddy colored and do not match the caps at all. What is bright yellow is a blah beige, and a pretty blue is practically black. I ruined my first adult coloring project because of the lackluster colors. They also streak and dry out fast. I received these as a gift and will be returning them.
on November 8, 2013
I was very disappointed with this product. Over half of the pens were almost dried up the first time I used them.