5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best I have yet to see from the Gears...
Published on March 17, 2004 by Chelsea G. Humphrey

3.0 out of 5 stars "Giving Life To Our Ancestors"
Published on July 11, 2011 by John Mercier

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best I have yet to see from the Gears..., March 17, 2004
I read the first two and even though i thought they were just about exactly alike I still read the third. Mainly because I thought that no way could the Gears end all of their many books the same way plus i had already bought it. I was definitly impressed with this book. The same theory was the basis for the book and intertwined with the other books very well. In this book the characters were swapped...this time we have a female dreamer. The plot for this one is great, and the ending was different which made it great. The characters i thought were better. All around it was great. I would recommend this book to any of the prehistory buffs but not before you read the first two other wise you may have trouble keeping up. And if you read the first two and your like me thinking that the first two were repetive, this one has that twist us, the readers, were looking for in the 2nd book. I will definitly read the next to see what else the Gear's have in store for us, maybe they learned that readers need a few surprises from time to time to keep us coming back for more

3.0 out of 5 stars "Giving Life To Our Ancestors", July 11, 2011
John Mercier (Saratoga Springs, NY) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past) (Mass Market Paperback)
The Gears do a great job of giving life to the people who lived 5000 years ago. These people faced great hardships just to survive. I am myself very in touch with nature. These people 5000 years ago were so dependent on nature that they had to be one with it. Their beliefs came from the natural environment around them. This novel has wonderful love stories and stories of some of these peoples' stuggle to understand life. However it also brings out the belief that some humans have always been cruel. The strong take what they need from the weak and kill and enslave them in the process of spreading throughout the world.

This was my third read in this "People" series and I will continue with it in time. I enjoy how the authors connect things of today to then. We must understand and know our history in order to protect our future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, hard to read., January 27, 2013
This book is very well written and organized. The characters are very real and their problems represent all of the concerns that humanity shares. The state of "different-ness" that plagues the main characters is an integral part of the action. It is that different-ness that binds the work to the hearts of readers. White Ash is a young woman who was stolen from her origional home when only a child. Bad Belly was born normal, but lost the use of one arm while still a child. White Ash is always treated with love by her foster parents.....indeed more loving and caring than her origional clan had been, But Bad Belly's life was a constant stream of insult, degradation and minimalization . How these two beautiful souls came to be together is worth the price of the book itself. However, this book offers so much more. The detailed discussions about these early Americans include how they lived, what they believed, what they ate, how they made tools. Most striking was the discriptive language used to explain the complicated religious beliefs of the various clans. Any history buff interested in prehistoric peoples will find this a great reading experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellant, enjoyable, well written, entertaining story, January 26, 1997
By A Customer
While waiting for Jean Auels' books (boy do I hate to wait) went looking for simular stories, This book is on Native Americans. Who knows how much is true (beliefs, customs, and such), this book and the other People Of are very good, I get wrapped right up in them!

4.0 out of 5 stars good, April 30, 2008
i've read a few books in this series and i'd have to say that this one's my favourites. I liked the perspectives from which the authors presented their characters. it was a kind of pensive, but not seriously so... meaning that there are little tidbits to think over every now and again but these tidbits are by no means the focus of the book, more a backdrop to the story, and they don't really inspire any intense thought, just more of a lazy sunday afternoon pondering kind of thought. if that makes sense.
i thought the story was well put together. there are several plot lines going on at once, which i enjoy because it gets the mind going a bit, but they all tie in to the overall story which is always nice. i liked the character bad belly. he was a reserved kind of guy, not for timidity but kind of for oddness. i thought him and whatever her name was made an ok couple. She could've been stronger, which bugged me at times. i read this a while back so i can't give any examples but i do recall that i wanted her to be stronger at times. though this is so, she wasn't exactly weak. she had an inner strength, it just wasn't as powerful when confronting other people. This was a minor detail though. the plot and characters were well done and the story had a nice flow to it.
overall, worth picking up i'd say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once touched by the Dreamer you will never be the same., October 9, 2000
The third novel in their series, the Gears introduce us to a different set of people who live in lodges dug into the Earth. Two groups of very different people must learn to work together to fight against a common threat. What's worse, someone is killing their Dreamers -- the people who walk between worlds and can see into the future. An unlikely couple must Dream the new way and lead their peoples into the next age. Once touched by the Power of a Dreamer they will never be the same and neither will you. Once again archaeology and imagination make for a fabulous pre-historic adventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another in a great series, December 13, 2000
This book epitomizes others by the Gears. Like them, it is an intriguing way to learn more about our Native American forebears. There is plot, action, history and a wealth of knowledge about a very important part of our American history. It made me want to visit this part of the country and see where these people lived. I have a warning, though: read one of the Gear's fine books about the aboriginal ancestors of this country and you may get hooked on them as I did. This is the fourth one I have read, and I am now on the fifth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grrrrreeeeeaaaattt!!!, September 2, 2007
This was the first book I found in the series. after reading it and discovering there were others I went searching. I found the list and read the first two....and reread them and read this one again. I am going to read the entire series.
We get pounded with our european history and never hear of the history of our continent. I have always been curious about where did the great american tribes come from? This series answers alot of questions with its fiction intermixed with its facts, it makes for easy reading holding your attention to the last page. Then you go to the next book and find references from the preceding books...if you read carefully...a very valuable trail of ancient indian history well worth reading........

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but still great, December 29, 2007
This review is from: People of the Earth (Paperback)
All the books in the series are good, I can't say there is a bad one in the bunch! If you like reading well developed stories with interesting characters and learing bits of history without being lectured about it, definately read this book. If you are looking for a book just to escape into, read any of the books in the series, they will all take you into another world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gear's Books Are Great!, December 15, 2012
An archaeologist myself, I not only enjoy the Gear's books but most refreshing is that science is the core of their books (no Clan of the Cave Bear type goofiness). Almost never do I read archaeological fiction, but after meeting this amazing, down to Earth, charming couple, I bought all of their books... now buying for my Kindle. I adore them and their books.

People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past)
People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past) by Kathleen O'Neal Gear (Mass Market Paperback - November 3, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01