People complain about WoW like it's politics.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2011 2:13:08 PM PST
maskedgamer says:
The games old, all things get stale after a while. There's plenty of other games out there to explore and even free ones that are great to play. Blizzard has never really listened to what the players said. They only listen to what their bank account and their charts and graphs tell them to do. What it says is that new players = new money so lets attract new players. unfortunately hardly anyone "new" is remotely interested in playing this game. Now you have a bunch of old people pissed off about these changes to make life easier for "new" players. Blizzard try to push off older players by giving them busy work. Long boring dungeons etc. etc. should keep them occupied while we focus on bringing in new money.

The end result it all blew up in their face. I think this is the lowest rated expansion I've ever seen. Not just on here but most anywhere. It seems the majority is still looking for a new MMO to try out for the rest... complaints just fall on the deaf ears of Blizzards staff.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 8:38:19 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I think this is the lowest rated expansion I've ever seen."

Really?

Here are some rated lower:

The Lord of the Rings: Mines of Moria Pre-Order with In Game Items

Dungeon Siege 2: Broken World Expansion Pack - PC

Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis Expansion Pack - PC

Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed Expansion Pack - PC

Tried to pick only "well-known" expansion packs.

Also,

"Not just on here but most anywhere."

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm

Kind of hard to get a 90% "Universal Acclaim" metacritic rating and also be "the lowest rated expansion I've ever seen. Not just on here but most anywhere."

Dial down the hyperbole a bit, perhaps?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2011 8:59:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2011 9:00:53 AM PST
maskedgamer says:
I'm talking Wow expansions only as this is a wow discussion so what is your point? Should I compare this to Super Man 64 to say it's a bad game? Stupid people are stupid.

Btw Here...

Go read this and educate yourself.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1660221097?page=1

It's 50+ Pages of people complaining expressing how disappointed they are with this expansion on blizzards own forums it was locked by blizzard itself to prevent further diminishing of the game. Ironically the thread never got out of control. This level of consumer rejection has never happened in the history of any wow release.

This expansion has caused more players to leave the game than any other WoW xpac release by blizzard.

Maybe you should research more, instead of making unrelated commentary perhaps?
Or do you work for blizzard and are trying to protect your game? Or maybe your a gold farmer and afraid that people telling the truth about this game will cost you business?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2011 3:30:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2011 3:32:57 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"Go read this and educate yourself.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1660221097?page=1

It's 50+ Pages of people complaining expressing how disappointed they are with this expansion on blizzards own forums it was locked by blizzard itself to prevent further diminishing of the game. Ironically the thread never got out of control. This level of consumer rejection has never happened in the history of any wow release."

That happens with every game, sequel, and expansion these days.

It happened when WoW was released, people were whining that WC3 was better.

It happened when Burning Crusade was released.

It happened when Wrath was released.

It also happens with every patch.

Gamers are unique in that they are a group of people engaging in a hobby who will spend almost as much time complaining about and degrading their hobby as they do engaging in it.

BTW - thank you for clarifying that when you said "I think this is the lowest rated expansion I've ever seen.", you really meant "This is rated lower than Burning Crusade and Wrath".

You make a good point - Metacritic has the following ratings:

Burning Crusade: 91%
Wrath: 91%
Cataclysm: 90%

Yep - you're right. Cataclysm is a critical failure. It's extremely low compared to the other two. Some would claim things such as "they're so close the difference is statistically insignificant", but why let math and logic get in the way of a good, clean lynching of a criticallly acclaimed game? Besides, math is hard.

Good point. I agree with you completely.

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 12:10:19 PM PDT
reddkey says:
lotro moria expansion was the pits, and I was a big fan of lotro before that

Im a wow guy, loved the game, but cata is where I have to call it. It may be part cata and part me, I think its 50/50 seen a few like that in forums etc.

Not trashing wow, because I don't want to play anything else its the best, but I dont want to play in cata. If there was a TBC or wotlk server,...level capped, I would pay and play for that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 3:34:33 PM PDT
J. Manley says:
The problem with that is that mainstream gaming sites won't give bad reviews to popular mainstream games. Hence we have endless Call of Duty rehashes that do very little new getting consistently high scores, while new IP X that is actually original or inventive just gets rated average. WoW and Blizzard have a lot of clout, which means that their flaws tend to get overlooked a lot more easily.
From a critical point of view, I'd be interested in the sales figures. Given that most people will just buy a new game or expansion associated with a series that they like, it shouldn't be a surprise that Cata would be a heavy and fast seller. It'd be more interesting to track the sales figures over time, as well as the changes in the subscriber base.
I think you make some strong points, but the other side does too, and I really don't think that there's any information out there that concretely supports one side or the other. There's a pretty vocal group of people claiming to have been long-term players that are making it very clear how much they dislike the changes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  May 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Set
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Set by Blizzard Entertainment (Windows 2000 / Vista / XP)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (385)