1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars THE AUTHORITATIVE JOHANSSON, July 13, 2011
This review is from: Perceiving Events and Objects (Lea's Communication) (Hardcover)
I bought this book as part the theoretical framework of my master thesis in semiotics. My position is fairly simple: film theory has largely neglected the fact that moving pictures MOVE, and we need to go back to the basics of motion perception to understand the way the brain processes motion (or doesn't process it, in the case of akinetopsic patients), in order to understand how we attribute motion to entities, and meaning to motion. By default, the topic always leads to the pionnering work of Gunnar Johansson, which also allows us to rethink meaning in situated terms; that is, in terms of an incarnated subject whose meaning attributions are based on his/her physical experience of the world.
For that reason, this book is VERY important: it is a first hand, rather detailed overview of Johansson's work, from the very beginning in the 50s, up to his late work of the 90s, just before he passed away. As an introduction to the text, I'd suggest you download Johansson's 1971 films about two and three-dimensional motion perception from the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University (Sweden).

Perceiving Events and Objects (Lea's Communication)
Perceiving Events and Objects (Lea's Communication) by Gunnar Jansson (Hardcover - September 1, 1994)
$145.00 $123.26