Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 27, 2010
I am already a huge fan of the Percy Jackson series and many of my students love the books as well. I picked up the graphic version to appeal to some of my more reluctant readers.

Most of the major story elements are included; Percy learns he is a demigod and that his best friend is a satyr after being attacked by Mrs. Dodds, meets other demigods at Camp Half-Blood, and sets out on a quest to return a very important stolen item. However, the final product seems a bit rushed and there are some strange gaps that make the story hard to follow. My favorite part of the novel, the encounter with Medusa, is completely left out.

I might recommend this book for Percy's fans, as there are some nicely done graphics, but those new to the story would be much better off sticking to the original, no pictures version. 2.5 stars would reflect my opinion more accurately.
on August 14, 2012
Percy Jackson is a 12 year-old boy who has been diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia. He has always had a hard time in school. His mother has had to transfer him to many different schools because he always gets in trouble. His latest school, Yancy Academy, is on a field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art when suddenly his teacher turns into a monster and attacks Percy. He is unsure if anyone else sees this happen. He discovers that his teacher is one of the furies and is trying to kill him. His mother grows concerned and takes him away for the weekend. His best friend, Grover who turns out to be a Satyr that has been watching over him, appears and tells him he's in danger. Percy's mother takes them both to Camp Half-Blood, a camp for demigods. Demigods are the children of Gods/Goddesses and mortals. This is the only place he will be safe. Before they get to the camp a Minotaur begins chasing them. His mother is not able to cross the gates into the camp, so the Minotaur grabs her and she disintegrates into gold dust. Percy is devastated and unsure whether he will ever see her again.

Percy does not know which god his father is so he is placed in the cabin of Hermes until his father reveals his symbol to Percy. During a training game, Poseidon reveals his symbol to Percy. He is the only child of Poseidon's at the camp. There is fighting in Olympus over a stolen lightning bolt that belongs to Zeus. Zeus believes that Poseidon has stolen the bolt through Percy. Percy sets off on an adventure with Grover and Annabeth to find the bolt, which his mentor Chiron believes is in the Underworld. The three of them encounter many things. They fight Medusa, the Furies, and Ares while making their way to Hades. But will they get there in time? They only have 10 days to complete this journey and return the bolt to Zeus.

This is a fun book filled with action, adventure, and Greek Mythology. I enjoyed every page. These are similar to Harry Potter, but Greek Mythology versus wizards. I personally prefer these to the Potter series. The author initially started the story of Percy Jackson for his son, who was also diagnosed with ADHA and dyslexia. The stories were his bedtime stories. I think it is touching that this was developed between a father and son. I can imagine the two tweaking the story each night. I can't wait to see where the rest of the series takes me!
on January 30, 2012
The "Lightning Thief" is a book about a boy named Percy who has trouble in school. Percy has a mean, vile step-dad who does not treat him or his mother well. After the school year ends, Percy and his mother want to get away from it all and go on a vacation to Long Island. They leave for the beach and the vacation goes fine until one stormy night when Percy's best friend, Grover, shows up at his cabin without human legs! Grover has goat hooves! Percy believes that it is all a dream and Grover tells Percy's mother that a monster is coming and Percy has to go to "camp". They drive away in the storm and eventually Percy and Grover make it to Camp Half-Blood even though Percy's mother is captured. Percy then gets knocked out and goes into a coma for three days. When he wakes up he learns that he is a demigod! And not just any demigod, but the son of Poseidon, who is one of the "big three gods". Percy is shown around camp by the daughter of Athena, Annabeth. Annabeth tells him of a war between his father and the king of the gods, Zeus. Zeus believes that Percy stole his master bolt. To clear both his and his father's names, he decides to go on an adventure-filled, dangerous quest with Annabeth and Grover. The rest you will have to find out when you read the book!

My favorite part in the book was the part where Percy gets attacked by the Echidna at the top of the St. Louis Arch. Percy gets caught up at the top of the Arch with the mother of all of the world's monsters (literally). They battle and even blow a hole in the top of the building! Percy knows he will lose the battle so he jumps out of the hole! He falls hundreds of feet to the river and just when he thinks he is going to die, he lightly lands in the water and sinks to the bottom. He realizes that his clothes are not wet and that he can breathe, because he is the Son of the Sea God. After getting over the shock of the fall, he swims to the surface, gets out, and pretends to flee the scene with the rest of the tourists.

I believe that kids will love this book because it is based on one of the most famous children's series ever! They are really good books and also very educational about Greek mythology. The other good thing about the comic book is that it gives accurate visual representations of the characters when compared to the movie that had a less accurate plot, deleted key parts, and had actors who looked nothing like the characters as they were described in the book! Also, anyone who loves a comic would like this book so it could encourage these kids to read the series.

Finally, it is a good way for kids to learn a lot while still enjoying themselves because there are pictures and it isn't as daunting to read as a chapter book can be to some kids. I believe that boys and girls between the ages of 9 and 13 would enjoy this book; but truthfully, anyone could read it. I even know adults who love this series.

Reviewed by Young Mensan Ryan, age 13
I have been reading quite a few graphic novels lately and I picked up this one (The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan, adapted by Robert Wenditti, Art by Attila Futaki and color by Jose Villarrubia) at a bargain price on Amazon. This novel is about “Mythological monsters and the Gods of Mount Olympus.” This 128 page book is clearly written for youngsters and early teens. Nevertheless, I found it to be an interesting and exciting read. It has the kind of action youngsters and teens will love.

The story centers on kids who are half human and half Gods. There are sword fights, weird creatures, drama and adventure. I can see how young people would love this series that combines ancient Greek mythology and the actions of modern youths who find themselves in numerous precarious situations.

My only real complaint is with all the talented people involved in creating this unique graphic novel tale, no one thought of putting page numbers in this book? I have seen very few no page number graphic novels and I never fail to be amazed how any publisher could disregard this important part of any book. The only reason I know how many pages there are in this book is I counted the pages.

In any case, I did like this graphic novel even though it is aimed at young people rather than adults. A fun read.

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: The Samurai Soul: An old warrior’s poetic tribute).
on January 14, 2014
I purchased this graphic version for my classroom. I was hoping it would be a nice alternative for my struggling readers. However, this graphic version leaves out important scenes. For example, the scene with Medusa is not in this version at all! I am very disappointed that this book is said to be a version of The Lightning Thief. It should at least say "abridged." The Percy Jackson series is fantastic and my students love to read all the books. This graphic novel does the series a disservice.
on November 9, 2012
I have been a follower of Rick ever since he made The Lightning Thief. He's my favorite author. But when I found out that there are Graphic novels out, I was pretty excited. I'm a huge comic nerd. So I bought this right away. And the moment I bought it, I enjoyed it! It's fun to read, and the characters really are like in the books.
on November 14, 2012
Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series is by far one of the most enjoyable book series I have ever read. I don't even want to label it children's fiction or YA (as the books get progressively darker though not as much as Harry Potter). The use of mythology in a modern/contemporary setting reveals Riordan's mastery of humor, sharp wit, and commentary on history, evolution, and society. I will admit unabashedly that it actually tops Harry Potter in that the books are more streamlined, the plot clearer, the jokes funnier, the hero isn't burdened with so much self-doubt, darkness and funk. Percy carries his heroism, his gift and ultimately his burden with a lightness of spirit not evident in Harry Potter. Perhaps it's better that way so readers can differentiate between both boy heroes. The story hurtles along at a breakneck pace but Riordan is such a good writer that he manages to slow things down at just the right time with bits of wisdom about our past and present.

Highly recommended for all ages. I'm in my third decade of life and I enjoyed this series immensely. While the new Heroes of Olympus series also feat. Percy is just as enthralling, there is something special about meeting Percy for the first time in the Lightning Thief and the graphic novel version really brings him to life.
on January 22, 2016
Read it cover to cover the first day he received it. We had been reading the novel together but he was reluctant to read the novel by himself. He has been spoiled by graphic novels and their short sentences in my opinion. I am hoping this will be a bridge to getting him interested in the other novels in the series. We are continuing to read the novel together and he loves telling me he knows what will happen next.
on June 14, 2016
Vocabulary a little advanced for early elementary school. I thought my granddaughter would like the part about the gods, but it's more like the names were appropriated for the authors characters, and the result was "gods" who were unrecognizable. Not faulting the author's poetic license here.
I think the novel, The Lightning Thief, is a great children's (or anyone's!) book. It is awesome because it has amazing characters that are funny and mostly demi-gods (half human and half god)! It is a mix of Greek Mythology and American action. If you think battling Medusa while trying to save Zeus' lightning bolt in order to save the universe is exciting then this is the book for you! The book is about a life or death quest by Percy, an average kid that feels alone and "troubled." Percy battles Greek monsters, learns his best friend is half goat, and finds his true character. He learns to be a hero. It's a great book for people who like adventures and a funny, brave, and loyal 12 year old kid.

By Jordan Fisher