1,244
4 out of 5 stars
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (Blu-ray/DVD + DigitalHD)
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$16.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 10, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
As a real fan of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series of books, I was somewhat disappointed with the first Percy Jackson movie because it strayed too much from the storyline and didn't have the right group dynamic between the characters. This second movie is much better, in my opinion, because it really draws you in by following the storyline from the book that made me want to read all seven books (multiple times!). This movie is great fun, and very exciting, with lots of twists and turns and special effects - I especially like the cab ride!

All in all, this movie is extremely enjoyable, and I highly recommend it for the whole family.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVD
Here we go with the second chapter of this popular series, based on the book by Rick Riordan, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters. This time directed by Thor Freudenthal ("Diary of a Wimpy Kid") whose main job here seems to be producing Computer Generated Images... A movie based on a book this fantastical HAS to include CGI, so I'm not complaining...this time. Plus I appreciate the fact that kids are referred back to Greek mythology to read about the Golden Fleece.

The invisible shield that protects the half-bloods' safe haven has evaporated because the tree that created it is dying. Their only hope is the Golden Fleece because of its restorative powers.

Here they are again:
* Logan Lerman ("The Perks of Being a Wallflower") is Percy, our dauntless half-blood (his father is Poseidon, God of the Sea). He can (sometimes) control the seas...
* Alexandra Daddario ("Percy Jackson: Lightening Thief"), Annabeth is determined to retrieve the Golden Fleece. She is sort of a Hogwarts Hermione: she READS!
* Nathan Fillian ("Much Ado About Nothing") surprises us as a UPS guy/Hermes. His son Luke is mad at him... But he gives our hero some terrific packing tape!
* Stanley Tucci ("Hunger Games") is Dionysus. Zeus is still mad, so he turns his wine into water. He has heard Christians have a god who can do the reverse..."Now THERE is a God!"
* Brandon T. Jackson ("Tropic Thunder") is cloven-hoofed Grover, another half-blood and a loyal pal.
* Jake Abel ("I Am Number Four") is Hermes' son Luke; he looks like a young Kevin Bacon! He has serious daddy issues and goes to the Dark Side.

This has a PG rating, so expect no nudity, no profanity, a bit of vehicular mayhem in a taxi (three hags driving it share one eyeball), lots of swordplay and fisticuffs but no blowie uppie stuff. There is a great storm at sea, though.

I've asked Amazon to notify me when the DVD is available.
on August 13, 2013
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
The lightning thief movie was a good movie unless you read the books then you would hate every scene. This movie is quite an improvement. The writers tried like hell to make it close to the book and they did. Granted, it isn't 100% like the book but then again, no book to movie is.

Most changes are subtle and not noticed for most part. For example: In the book, they group went to the Sea of Monsters to get the fleece but also to rescue Grover who was taken by a cyclops. In the movie, only one of Grover's kind can lead heroes to the fleece. So, Grover goes with Percy, Annabeth and Tyson and he is then, kidnapped by Luke's men = Percy and company have to save him. A change but really, who cares? Point is, Grover is with the fleece and needs to be saved.

Other small changes would include

The trio taking the gray sisters's taxi from camp, not to camp like in the book.

The trio going to Hermes at the UPS store unlike him coming to camp. (book)

Hermes gives them the thermos and a tape dispenser. In the book, he gave them the thermos and a bottle of vitamens.

Luke, Thalia, Annabeth and Grover are chased by two Cyclopses in the movie. in the book, the furies are listed as those that chase them among other monsters.

The prophecy says a child of 20, in the book the age is 16.

Tyson already knew his father when he go to camp in the movie. in the book, he did not know.

Tyson and Percy are strangers in the movie but are friends in the book.

If you can live with these changes, then you will be ok with the movie.case closed.

The only slap to the face is the last 10 minutes of the movie. Spoiler.
Kronos rises in the last 10 minutes of the movie and is sent back to his box by Percy, due to Kronos still being very weak. WTF! He rises and poof, he's safely back in the box. I wanted to scream and shout profanity at the writers.

They claim to have done it so it would show impending doom to follow (aka, the next 3 books).They also added monsters early like the Manicore. fine. more action= more money. ok, I can live with that.

All in all, I loved the movie. From the opening credits all the way to Kronos rising where I hated it. After that section of 10 minutes, when they get back to camp. the movie remains true to the book. Word for Word.

I'm happy for how far they have come compared to the first movie. Just, dont expect it to mirror the book. No movie ever does unless the author wrote the script like The Hunger Games.
on January 6, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
To put this into perspective, I'm a 39 year old that has read the entire series and loved them. I even mildly like the first movie The Lightning Thief. I never expect the movies to match the book but I haven't seen such a repugnant screen adaptation since Clan of the Cavebear. The sea of monsters has One monster. For some bizarre reason the cyclops lives in a roller coaster, and the cruise ship that was full of evil badness is now a yacht with one monster and 4 bad guys. The entire story in the book was thrashed. The only thing they kept were the character names.

There were a few things I liked.
Nathan Fillion as Hermes.
Rainbow the hippocampus.
and the taxi ride.

Paid for this on blueray so I got gyped.

Don't expect a good movie.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 8, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I am a big fan of Logan Lerman (Percy) and I am pleased to say that, just like every other movie he's in, Logan failed miserably to disappoint. His acting was phenomenal as usual. He is a brilliant actor that can play any type of roll perfectly. AS was the rest for the cast, very well done. I was a little disappointed that they re-cast Pierce Brosnan's role. But maybe they needed the money for effects. Which by the way where breathtaking. The story was very personal and oriented toward loyalty and the importance of family. The baddies where satisfyingly scary and very well rendered in CGI (you couldn't do these kinds of creatures with live action models) and they had a wicked sense of humor. I like that Percy was not seen as everyone's idol, more as a normal person. He wasn't held up on a pedestal or anything. Overall I think this was a worthy sequel to another brilliant movie. A+!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2014
Format: DVD
If I could get away with half a star, I would.
Maybe it is a result of having read the books and obsessed over them since they first came out, but if that is the case with you, I advise against seeing this movie. I enjoyed the first ten minutes, then spent the rest of it making comparisons.

In an attempt to be fair, I think this movie is one you either love or hate.
On the bright side, it fixed up several things from the first movie... And then proceeded to get nearly everything else categorically wrong.

So, good and bad.
I LOVED how they did Clarisse, Hermes and Chiron. Clarisse was the tough, take-no-prisoners perfect Daughter of Ares, Nathen wasn't quite how I envisioned Hermes physically, but pulled the character off Perfectly. Same with Stanley as Dionysus. Anthony Stewart Head is the wise old centaur I had envisioned ever since I read the first book.
I imagined Luke as being taller and more muscular, but otherwise Jake was the best I can think of for the role, and played the angry, angst-y, collage-age villain to perfection.
The Oracle was pretty good, and I would have enjoyed the stain-glass-storytelling if they hadn't managed to completely screw up the myth.

Unfortunately, that's about it.

The main trio are, at this point, supposed to be 13 - 14 years old, but are all played by adult actors. They fixed the fact that all children of Athena are blonde and grey-eyed, but removed any trace of Annabeth's personality to compensate for it.
Selina was a spy who communicated with Luke via a magic charm, and Ethan didn't even meet Luke until the fourth book! WHAT THE #%*?} ARE THEY DOING WITH LUKE NOW? And why is a character described as African-American being played by an Asian-looking actor?
Why are the Demigods carting around iPads and cell-phones, when it is clearly stated that electronics are like sending up a flare for monsters to show up and try to eat you? What is with all the pop-culture and product-placement jokes? For the record, Demigods use Nectar as a medicine that can turn you to ashes if you ingest too much, not as a casual drink.
Why is Tyson the dumb comic relief who makes it sound like Poseidon held his hand the entire way to camp, rather than the child-like but loyal and occasionally wise cyclops who shares a deep friendship and protective brotherly bond with Percy, despite being the first real conflict between Percy and Annabeth?
Where is Circe, and the Sirens? The bonding moments between Percy and Annabeth as she starts really opening up to him? Hands up anyone who thinks that Polyphemus would live in an abandoned theme park, or that a powerful sorceress like Circe would allow him within ten leagues of her home?

Honestly, I wonder if the director didn't just google the Wikipedia summary of the series, and make things up from there.

And no, finding an actor with a strong physical likeness to the author, calling him "Reardon" and turning him into a zombie was not a funny joke. Those of us who even caught it in the first place were cringing in our seats.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
I liked the first Percy Jackson movie. It was inventive in the way it used the mythological source material, and I enjoyed it without feeling like I was far outside its target demographic. I can't imagine anyone past their teens really liking the sequel, and even then, I doubt it will ever be anybody's favorite.

A big problem here is that the franchise's best ideas all seem to be tied up with explaining how the whole demigod thing works, and they already did that in the last movie. It should be that once the origin story is out of the way, you can focus on exciting adventures, but even the quest plot in this one seems way less interesting than the first movie's. The protagonists have to find the golden fleece, and they already know pretty much where it is, so they go there and find it. They have to fight a few people and monsters along the way, but none of it feels very dangerous. When a problem comes up that can't be solved with punching, the movie just gives Percy a new magic power or a convenient item to deal with it. Even the villain seems bored with the proceedings. It's the same guy as the last movie, and the closest we get to an explanation of his plot or motivation is basically, “I'm gonna try to blow up Olympus again, for... whatever reason I said last time.”

The major novel element in this movie is a new character, whose personality throughout boils down to “very enthusiastic and also dumb.” Not, like, comically so – just higher-than-average enthusiasm and lower-than-average intelligence. I began to feel sorry for the actor playing him, because most of the stuff they gave him to do is like watching someone's vacation videos: “I'm really glad I'm on this trip with you guys. This is fun! Whoops, I dropped that thing I was supposed to hold onto!”

On the whole, this movie felt like it was trying too hard to appeal to angsty teenagers without offending their parents. Percy whinges constantly about being worried that he's not good enough, and the big epiphany at the end is some claptrap about making your own destiny (which barely even makes sense, because Percy just did one out of the two options he was prophesied to fulfill). The villains are teasingly sympathetic because they've concluded that parents and teachers don't have all the answers, but the right path turns out to be for the heroes to do what they've been told and trust in the value of teamwork. If you're 11, this all may work just fine for you. If you're an adult, you've seen it many times before, often with greater nuance or just a better story to back it up.
on March 31, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
It skipped many parts of the book, and it was only an hour and a half. It could have been longer and included more details from the book. I also didn't like that Kronos came out of his coffin, and that was not part of the book. Percy slays him easily, but I don't think that will be the case later in the series. --Dulio, age 9
on December 4, 2013
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Very good. Better than "Lightning Thief"! It's not exact, but it's great. The best scene is the bronze bull scene.
on February 24, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
I have two boys 11 & 7. I find the Percy Jackson movies to be a good family movie. They enjoy the magical aspects and I enjoy the modern day twist on greek mythology.

We have already seen Sea of Monsters two or three times. And of course the original at least ten times.